The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2010, 05:03 AM   #1
long beach bronco
Ring of Famer

"I'm your Huckleberry"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default Who will we throw the ball to now?

This tells me that this draft will be heavy offensive. With Brando now gone, this team needs new playmakers and RB Spiller and WR Thomas or Benn in the first two rounds will help me get out of my depression.
long beach bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2010, 05:05 AM   #2
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Last edited by The MVPlaya; 04-14-2010 at 05:26 AM..
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:11 AM   #3
long beach bronco
Ring of Famer

"I'm your Huckleberry"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

We really need to hit pay dirt on our draft picks this year.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:23 AM   #4
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by long beach bronco View Post
This tells me that this draft will be heavy offensive. With Brando now gone, this team needs new playmakers and RB Spiller and WR Thomas or Benn in the first two rounds will help me get out of my depression.
Dez Bryant isn't as bad as people want to make him out to be. I wouldn't be upset if he were the pick... not by a long shot. His upside and potential are huge. Most consider him a better prospect than Crabtree. I was very impressed by Crabtree last year. There are some strong vets in our locker room and I think that IF Dez Bryant were ever slacking they would reign him in in a hurry. I honestly don't think that would happen though. I think this kid is going to have a Moss/Harvin/Peterson like impact in the league. He'll be great from the start and a lot of teams will be sorry they passed on him.

But, if we do decide to pass on him, then Benn and Gillyard are both intriguing prospects in the 2nd round. Very different players, but both offer a lot.

I'm also not ruling out a speed threat in one of our first 3 selections. Spiller at 11 would be nice and address both KR and RB, plus he can be used as a slot guy and moved around to draw coverages (Reggie Bush). Best or McCluster in the 2nd round make sense as well.

How sweet would it be to end up with Spiller at 11, Saffold/Ducasse at 43, and Cody/Houston at 45.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:36 AM   #5
long beach bronco
Ring of Famer

"I'm your Huckleberry"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I wouldn't mind that at all, I was nervous about this offense with Brandon, now that he's gone, I'm about to have a stroke. We need to pick the right players next week, the defense is set for 2010, now this offense needs immediate attention.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:10 AM   #6
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

I'm actually not overly concerned about replacing Marshall's production. 101 catches for 1120yards and 10 TDs.

Let's say that Eddie merely returns to his rookie form and goes for 91 catches and 980 yards and 5 TDs. That replaces over half of BMs production above what Eddie did last year. Not far fetched to me, and I can see him producing even better numbers than he did as a rookie if he's featured in the Welker role.

I can see Gaffney catching an extra 15-20 balls for an extra 200-300 yards, and 3 more TDs. Between those 2 things we've replaced over 80% of BMs production.

Add in Arrelious Benn who catches 35 balls for 450 yards and 3 TDs, and the passing game hasn't fallen off at all.

You've removed the pressure on Orton to feed the beast, and you've taken away another "me first" guy. All that adds up to better football team, in my eyes.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:14 AM   #7
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Ship Scheffler to Ethiopia for his off-season workouts. When he returns 30 lbs lighter, problem = solved.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:15 AM   #8
Broncos123
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
I'm actually not overly concerned about replacing Marshall's production. 101 catches for 1120yards and 10 TDs.

Let's say that Eddie merely returns to his rookie form and goes for 91 catches and 980 yards and 5 TDs. That replaces over half of BMs production above what Eddie did last year. Not far fetched to me, and I can see him producing even better numbers than he did as a rookie if he's featured in the Welker role.

I can see Gaffney catching an extra 15-20 balls for an extra 200-300 yards, and 3 more TDs. Between those 2 things we've replaced over 80% of BMs production.

Add in Arrelious Benn who catches 35 balls for 450 yards and 3 TDs, and the passing game hasn't fallen off at all.

You've removed the pressure on Orton to feed the beast, and you've taken away another "me first" guy. All that adds up to better football team, in my eyes.
I agree, well said
Broncos123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:15 AM   #9
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post

That was in about 14 games though.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:41 AM   #10
Bronco CB40
Seasoned Veteran

COKE FIEND

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

All I have to say is **** the HN
Bronco CB40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:49 AM   #11
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
That was in about 14 games though.
Marshall's played less than the full 16 in the majority of his year's in the league. I was going to base it on Marshall's production in 8 games, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:03 AM   #12
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Richard Quinn will lead the Broncos to the promised land...

Or 1-15...
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:15 AM   #13
Drek
Ring of Famer

The upside of this move is that it'll allow us to stop structuring the offense around Marshall in the Y WR role and instead make ideal use of our talent overall.

I'm expecting Royal to get the Z WR role (Welker in NE), Gaffney to play the Y WR role (what he did in NE and what Marshall did here) and we'll go find ourselves a deep threat for the X WR (Moss in NE, Royal last year) role.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Golden Tate at 43 or 45 actually.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:57 AM   #14
Triplelefthook
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
The upside of this move is that it'll allow us to stop structuring the offense around Marshall in the Y WR role and instead make ideal use of our talent overall.

I'm expecting Royal to get the Z WR role (Welker in NE), Gaffney to play the Y WR role (what he did in NE and what Marshall did here) and we'll go find ourselves a deep threat for the X WR (Moss in NE, Royal last year) role.

I have been trying to ask people this in the earlier thread (Marshall signs his tender thread) and no one would really give me an answer. Would Golden Tate be able to fill that deep threat role? Dez Bryant would, but what are the other realistic options? I havent been following the college class this year, Benn wouldn't really fit that role, what about Gilyard or anyone else?
Triplelefthook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:00 AM   #15
RonDaChamp24
Twitter.com/RonGreco

The Champ is here

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triplelefthook View Post
I have been trying to ask people this in the earlier thread (Marshall signs his tender thread) and no one would really give me an answer. Would Golden Tate be able to fill that deep threat role? Dez Bryant would, but what are the other realistic options? I havent been following the college class this year, Benn wouldn't really fit that role, what about Gilyard or anyone else?
I'd love Tate or Gilyard. Todd McShay has us taking McClain at 11, Golden Tate at 43. I think we go Dez at 11 unless some trades up to get him from us. If dez isn't there Denver goes w mcclain or pouncey and either Tate or gilyard in the 43rd or 45th.
RonDaChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:04 AM   #16
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
Richard Quinn will lead the Broncos to the promised land...

Or 1-15...
I didn't know 3rd string TE's had the ability to influence a team to a 1 - 15 record. Wow!
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:07 AM   #17
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Throw the ball?
Shoot, we'll run the ball every damn play.
Moreno, Buckhalter and draft Spiller.

WHO NEEDS WR'S
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:15 AM   #18
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

I think one of two things are gonna happen with our first pick...1. We draft Dez Bryant with our first pick or 2. We trade back with someone and take a Guard or Center
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:23 AM   #19
Chief Macho
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think they need to get the best Offensive threat in the draft. It's Spiller not Bryant. Dez wouldn't have a clue for most of the first season.
Chief Macho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:24 AM   #20
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triplelefthook View Post
Bryant and Benn would best fit in the same role that Marshall had (the Y WR role). Gaffney isn't a bad short term option for that right now, but obviously a longer term answer wouldn't hurt.

Tate and Gilyard would be the kind of field stretcher we'd want to take Royal's place as the X. Gilyard would be ok, but I think he'd fit better in the slot role that Royal should be playing. Tate on the other hand seems like an ideal fit as the X WR to me. Great straight line speed, good in jump ball situations, experience in a similar offense, etc.. He could step in and contribute quickly.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:25 AM   #21
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Drek, I don't think Tate lasts till #43 or #45. Seems like a quality selection at the end of round one. Mardy Gilyard would be available where we are selecting, and I think he'd fit the deep threat role very well for us, as well as being a guy who can be creative with YAC.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:26 AM   #22
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

To Josh,

Please keep building the lines and front seven

Thanks.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:31 AM   #23
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
To Josh,

Thanks.
This.
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:32 AM   #24
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post

Are you aware that you have this completely wrong?

The X receiver is the split end, who plays up ON the LOS, and what Marshall has traditionally played upwards of 90% of the snaps.

The Y receiver is the ****ing tight end. Or in NE's Welker comparison, it's referred to as Y-open (splitting the TE into the slot, or a slot receiver).

The Z receiver is the flanker, who plays off the LOS.

Please... just stop...
Old 04-14-2010, 08:33 AM   #25
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
To Josh,

Thanks.
To Kyle,

Sorry you don't have anyone to throw to, at least you are not in a contract year - SIKE!

Thanks.
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote