The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default Anyone go to Colorado School of Mines?

We just started sending film out to colleges (My oldest son is a Junior), and one of the first bites was from Colorado School of Mines.

Anyway, he loves Colorado, and his major will be engineering. He is looking into some DI programs, but DII might be right up his alley.

Did anyone go there?
Can you tell me anything (positive or negative) about the school, or their football program?

Thanks.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

I have heard it's a pretty good Engineering School.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
underrated29
Ahoy

You lika da sexy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

A friend of mine that is now on my hockey team. Played football and hockey there... He always talks about the school. I could ask him any specifics if you want, but I dont know much about it except for that we wasted them in hockey when i was playing at metro...They are a smaller school I think, so the talent might not be as rich.....Heard good things though.
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

if youre son could possibly have a future in football, obviously dont go there. if he is looking at education plus football for fun and tuition, do it.

hear back from what DI colleges say before you start deciding, some schools like wisconsin have amazing engineering programs.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
A friend of mine that is now on my hockey team. Played football and hockey there... He always talks about the school. I could ask him any specifics if you want, but I dont know much about it except for that we wasted them in hockey when i was playing at metro...They are a smaller school I think, so the talent might not be as rich.....Heard good things though.
I know it's a small program, but as I said, that might be good for my son so he doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

If I read correctly, they have a pretty good winning record with their football program.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
if youre son could possibly have a future in football, obviously dont go there. if he is looking at education plus football for fun and tuition, do it.

hear back from what DI colleges say before you start deciding, some schools like wisconsin have amazing engineering programs.
He's big, and plays with a good mean streak (he's a pancake machine), but he's only 6'3" 298. A lot of the big DI schools seem like they are looking for bigger than that. Maybe he will be bigger after his senior season, who knows.

We're sending out film, and I guess we'll see how that goes, but at least he's getting "bites." I'll remember to check out Wisconsin.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #7
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
He's big, and plays with a good mean streak (he's a pancake machine), but he's only 6'3" 298. A lot of the big DI schools seem like they are looking for bigger than that. Maybe he will be bigger after his senior season, who knows.

We're sending out film, and I guess we'll see how that goes, but at least he's getting "bites." I'll remember to check out Wisconsin.
6'3 300 is fine, especially if he kicked inside to guard. hit up the big ten schools. is he being scouted or invited to anywhere yet? a lot of guys can fall between the cracks so make sure you are getting film to the right people and not just sending it off. a "highlight" youtube package isnt going to work either, its gotta be legit film that shows how he plays from game to game.

PM me about some strength and conditioning advice, i can most definitely help you in that regard.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
Bronco CB40
Seasoned Veteran

COKE FIEND

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

Great academic school. When your son graduates there, oil companies left and right will be lining up to offer him $50K-plus jobs to start.

The one bummer about CSM though is the 80/20 to 90/10 guy-girl ratio.
Bronco CB40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #9
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
We just started sending film out to colleges (My oldest son is a Junior), and one of the first bites was from Colorado School of Mines.

Anyway, he loves Colorado, and his major will be engineering. He is looking into some DI programs, but DII might be right up his alley.

Did anyone go there?
Can you tell me anything (positive or negative) about the school, or their football program?

Thanks.
I have a bud whose son plays football for them....PM me some questions you have and I will email them to him.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #10
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Connor Barth

Chad Friehauf.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:00 PM   #11
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMan-Goblin View Post
Chad Friehauf.
...got signed by an NFL team to see if he had what it takes. not many people can say that.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:09 PM   #12
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco CB40 View Post
Great academic school. When your son graduates there, oil companies left and right will be lining up to offer him $50K-plus jobs to start.

The one bummer about CSM though is the 80/20 to 90/10 guy-girl ratio.
Wow. I've been around female engineers too, and that means you are really looking at about 20% of the 10% as a strong dating pool.

Oh well, maybe he can focus on school then
Old 04-12-2010, 03:09 PM   #13
bronclvr
Ring of Famer

She is faster than you! 8.39 @ 156

Golden is my Hometown, and although I did not go to School at CSM I used to go to their Games-the "Miners" were never great, but they were tough, and Homecoming was always a good time (when I was a kid)-

I would agree on the School, though-I have an Employee whose Son Graduated from CSM, and he had no shortage of positions available when he left-
bronclvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:18 PM   #14
Bronco CB40
Seasoned Veteran

COKE FIEND

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

Quote:
Wow. I've been around female engineers too, and that means you are really looking at about 20% of the 10% as a strong dating pool.

Oh well, maybe he can focus on school then
It's not a dire situation by any means. Boulder is close by and there's plenty of ski bunnies up 1-70.

All things considered, CSM is one of the few schools in this country where the investment into academics will pay off in the long-run and that's a strong factor that few other institutions can match.

It's not one of those schools that grants your kid a degree and throws him out to the real world empty handed.
Bronco CB40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:06 PM   #15
AlienBronco
Seasoned Veteran

And also small perks like, taking tour of Coors Brewery any time due to its proximity.

You can't go wrong with CSM. If not sure visit it with your son.
AlienBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #16
Ray_Lewis'_Victim
Corpse

I just graduated from there last May. I can't say too much about the football team (ultimate frisbee player myself), but he'd get a solid education there. The job offers coming out aren't as great now as they were probably 5 years ago, but I imagine they're still better than a lot of schools(I chose grad school, so I didn't look too closely). Lockheed Martin/Northrop Grumman and other companies seem to like Mines grads, so he'd have a lot of options outside of football.
Ray_Lewis'_Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:06 PM   #17
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:

Did anyone go there?

Thanks.
My Dad went there for grad school. A guy I played with in HS ended up playing WR there too... I'll see if I can't look him up for you.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #18
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:

Did anyone go there?

Thanks.
Is you son being recruited by OSU or Tulsa? I'd think he'd fit in at Tulsa, that's not a bad D1 program.

As for Colorado, right now he might get in on a scholarship to CU. CU has a good engineering program too.

There's also CSU, which is not as strong as CU when it comes to engineering (although its a good school too) but their football program is better and if he can get a scholarship, that'd be a great school too.

Then, there's University of Northern Colorado which is a great D2 program!
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:26 PM   #19
randomtask
Thomas is my hero.

Like a complete unknown

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Walton

Quote:

Did anyone go there?

Thanks.
I'm actually going there right now. It's a pretty small program (you can walk across campus in 20 minutes), but the professors are top-notch. He'd be getting an excellent education. Another thing is that companies love Mines. I seem to remember reading a stat that more than 95% of graduating students who applied for jobs got one within 6 months the past 3 years.

You'll need to make sure he's ready to spend quite a bit of time studying, as classes get tough very quickly (Quant Lab in particular is horrible). Also, the guy/girl ratio is pretty bad, but the last freshman class was pretty close to 60/40, so it's getting better.

What type of engineering would he be getting into? (Mechanical, Civil, Electrical, other)
randomtask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #20
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomtask View Post
I'm actually going there right now. It's a pretty small program (you can walk across campus in 20 minutes), but the professors are top-notch. He'd be getting an excellent education. Another thing is that companies love Mines. I seem to remember reading a stat that more than 95% of graduating students who applied for jobs got one within 6 months the past 3 years.

You'll need to make sure he's ready to spend quite a bit of time studying, as classes get tough very quickly (Quant Lab in particular is horrible). Also, the guy/girl ratio is pretty bad, but the last freshman class was pretty close to 60/40, so it's getting better.

What type of engineering would he be getting into? (Mechanical, Civil, Electrical, other)
He did an internship last year in Civil, I think this summer he will be working for a mechanical firm. However, his favorite so far is Electrical / Electronics.

So, he might be taking a "general engineering" pathway his freshman year, then looking to specialize starting his sophomore year when he gets exposed to the different schools.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #21
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Is you son being recruited by OSU or Tulsa? I'd think he'd fit in at Tulsa, that's not a bad D1 program.

As for Colorado, right now he might get in on a scholarship to CU. CU has a good engineering program too.

There's also CSU, which is not as strong as CU when it comes to engineering (although its a good school too) but their football program is better and if he can get a scholarship, that'd be a great school too.

Then, there's University of Northern Colorado which is a great D2 program!
Yes, my son has been talking to the coaches at Tulsa. They also have a good engineering program.

I think he just wants to get away from home and expand his horizons a little. We are very close, but he just wants to see someplace different. However, if the TU coaches make him an offer, it could strongly compel him to stay. He is planning on hitting their camps again this year (last year he pancaked the best defenders at camp in front of the line coach). This year, he is 30 pounds heavier and a little meaner so I think camp will be a good place to see if they are really interested.

The whole OU / OSU thing is a little wierd. We will send in film, but once again I feel like they are looking for players in the 6'5" to 6'8" range. We just sent out film and are starting to get responses, so we'll see in the next couple weeks.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:33 PM   #22
liljd307
Just Drafted

Check out Purdue. Top 10 school in the nation for engineering as well as a Big Ten football school.

I go there now and I know a few guys that were on the team and in engineering although its not all that common it is possible to do, will take a lot of hard work though.

Best of luck.
liljd307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #23
wandlc
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I work with a graduate from CSM, very good school. I am a Cal Poly SLO grad myself, you might consider Cal Poly also. Excellent engineering school and a good D1 FCS football program, they have challenged for the National Title a couple of times in the last several years and have players in pro football, Chris Gocong, Courtney Brown, and Ramses Barden most recenlty. Also, lots of very pretty girls go there.
wandlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #24
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:

Did anyone go there?

Thanks.
I can tell you this ... my uncle was chief geologist at Marathon Oil for many years, and he recruited at Mines extensively. Every year he came to Denver and met with guys there. He said it was one of the best schools in the nation for geologists.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:23 PM   #25
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer

Hook'em Horns

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

I went to mines in the early 90's on a wrestling scholarship. The athletic program when I went was ok, it was on the way up from the cellar of the RMAC.

The classes are tough, and the dating scene is scarce but you will get a valuable degree if you make it through.

The top programs where petroleum and mining, but all the programs are excellent.
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote