The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2010, 04:52 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default NFL GM's say "Broncos will trade Marshall"

Consensus is Broncos will trade Marshall

Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 04/12/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

I polled a handful of personnel executives throughout the NFL over the weekend and asked them if they still believed the Broncos would trade wide receiver Brandon Marshall before the April 22-24 draft or at least before the Broncos made a pick.

The consensus was yes, the Broncos would trade Marshall, and that no, they would not get a first-round pick for him when all was said and done.

At the root of that thought is they simply don't see how Broncos coach Josh McDaniels and Marshall can constructively coexist in the 2010 season no matter what the two have said in recent weeks.

Many general managers have said from the start they wouldn't give the Broncos a first-round pick for Marshall in large part because they didn't truly believe the Broncos would keep him.*

All of the personnel executives still believe the Seattle Seahawks will be Marshall's next stop, but they weren't discounting the Washington Redskins if the Broncos are willing to deal with their former coach, Mike Shanahan.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14865649

If we do not get a first round pick for Marshall I'm gonna flip like a cheese omelette!

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2010, 04:56 AM   #2
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

I said from the very start Broncos wouldn't get a first. The only way Broncos can win in this situation is if people are wrong and Marshall really will play in Denver.

Otherwise its time to start looking at whoever has the best offer.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:03 AM   #3
atomicbloke
Ring of Famer

La 12 Boca Juniors

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Offensive Line

So I guess McD screwed up big time by going public with the differences. He should have kept it in house and dealt with it. I'll put it down to inexperience. Hopefully, he'll learn the art of media management from his (mis)experiences of last season.
atomicbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:11 AM   #4
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Awesome, we'll trade our best offensive player for less than a first.

That's right on par in the stupid stakes with trading that first for A Smith.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:31 AM   #5
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Good thing there aren't any GMs in this league with hidden agendas or ulterior motives for wanting to see Brandon moved as cheaply as possible.

One thing is clear, we should all take this fine piece of journalism by Legwold as gospel and overreact as much as possible.

Last edited by bowtown; 04-12-2010 at 05:41 AM..
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:02 AM   #6
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Good thing there aren't any GMs in this league with hidden agendas or ulterior motives for wanting to see Brandon moved as cheaply as possible.

One thing is clear, we should all take this fine piece of journalism by Legwold as gospel and overreact as much as possible.
Yes, I want to flip out and complain about stuff that hasn't even happened yet.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:49 AM   #7
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Show them. Keep him. Then if they really want him, I guess it's a first for next year. And as far as I'm concerned, if we were taking players and a pick, Seattle doesn't really have anyone I want. Tampa Bay could hand over Barrett Ruud, the Jets Darrell Revis or David Harris, but I sincerely doubt they would. But I want that caliber of player if it's involved in a trade.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:01 AM   #8
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

can and will do. welcome to OM sir.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:07 AM   #9
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Hopefully they stick to their guns and only take a 1st for BM. If they don't get one, BM remains a Bronco.

Win, win situation for the team in my book.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:13 AM   #10
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

How can he go from this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
[FONT=Calibri]Consensus is Broncos will trade Marshall
to this:

Quote:
I polled a handful of personnel executives throughout the NFL over the weekend
He's drawing the entire premise/conclusion of his article from the statements of only 4 or 5 individuals out of the hundreds of personnel executives employed by the league. Way to go, dumbass.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:13 AM   #11
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

Well, it's Legwold and not Klis, so it's not like he's out to bash in the name of sensationalism.

The real question is, "How many is a handful?"
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:13 AM   #12
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
How can he go from this:

to this:

He's drawing the entire premise/conclusion of his article from the statements of only 4 or 5 individuals out of the hundreds of personnel executives employed by the league. Way to go, dumbass.
Nice timing bean
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:17 AM   #13
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Well, it's Legwold and not Klis, so it's not like he's out to bash in the name of sensationalism.

The real question is, "How many is a handful?"
Exactly, and who is the handful? Cause if includes any combination of John Schneider, Bruce Allen, Scott Pioli, AJ Smith, or Al Davis then I'd call it a tainted sample.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:21 AM   #14
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

We will see. I don't think that Denver is going to give Brandon away, and is stupid if they do.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:25 AM   #15
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Awesome, we'll trade our best offensive player for less than a first.

That's right on par in the stupid stakes with trading that first for A Smith.
Exactly. If Seattle or Washington wants a premier receiver with loads of luggage so badly, then draft Dez Bryant.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:27 AM   #16
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
good thing there aren't any gms in this league with hidden agendas or ulterior motives for wanting to see brandon moved as cheaply as possible.

One thing is clear, we should all take this fine piece of journalism by legwold as gospel and overreact as much as possible.
yes, damn it, i will do that. The sky is falling!!!111!!!1!!

Last edited by HILife; 04-12-2010 at 07:31 AM..
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:33 AM   #17
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

i think the idea that most people are buying into here, myself included, is that IF Marshall is traded for less than a first it is complete stupidity on the part of the Broncos.

Good to see some of you in here so quickly to defend papa McDaniels. haha
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:40 AM   #18
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Well something is going to happen for sure. Either we keep BM if we don't get a 1st or he gets traded for less than the asking price.

I hope this FO is more competent then what has been displayed in the past
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:41 AM   #19
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:

If we do not get a first round pick for Marshall I'm gonna flip like a cheese omelette!

the broncos will not get a 1st round pick for BM
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:43 AM   #20
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Connor Barth

I just polled the guys in the break room of my office building. They, too, think the Broncos will eventually trade Marshall. They also think the coffee is a little weak today.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:49 AM   #21
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolad View Post
Well something is going to happen for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolad View Post
Either we keep BM if we don't get a 1st
I'm confused. Doesn't keeping BM mean the opposite, that in fact nothing happened? If you believe that keeping him means "something happened", then provide me with a scenario where nothing happened.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:56 AM   #22
meangene
Ring of Famer

I know this is going to be unpopular around here but here goes. The first round tender on Marshall was nothing more than a starting point for negotiating a trade IMO. I think we were hoping someone would bite at that price and were not going to budge off of that until the offer period expired. That was also for the purpose of letting Marshall see exactly what he was, or wasn't, worth. Keep in mind that we need his cooperation in trading him - he either needs to sign an offer sheet or the tender. Once April 15th passes is when the real negotiations will begin. Clearly, many around here have overestimated his value as evidenced by the lack of an offer sheet and the other trades which have taken place - Boldin, McNabb, and, to some extent, Holmes. The market sets the value. I don't think we give him away, but I think his value is somewhere around a 2nd and another pick (4th?) or player. The compensation beyond the 2nd depends on how early the 2nd is. Keep in mind this is one of the best drafts in years and, so, the picks have greater value than most years. I also do not buy for a second that Marshall can truly become a team player or stay out of trouble. I don't buy that he and the Broncos (not just McDaniels) can co-exist. Further, if he stays in Denver for another season we are looking at best a 3rd round comp for him after the season (and, maybe, less depending on the new CBA).
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:00 AM   #23
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangene View Post
I know this is going to be unpopular around here but here goes. The first round tender on Marshall was nothing more than a starting point for negotiating a trade IMO. I think we were hoping someone would bite at that price and were not going to budge off of that until the offer period expired. That was also for the purpose of letting Marshall see exactly what he was, or wasn't, worth. Keep in mind that we need his cooperation in trading him - he either needs to sign an offer sheet or the tender. Once April 15th passes is when the real negotiations will begin. Clearly, many around here have overestimated his value as evidenced by the lack of an offer sheet and the other trades which have taken place - Boldin, McNabb, and, to some extent, Holmes. The market sets the value. I don't think we give him away, but I think his value is somewhere around a 2nd and another pick (4th?) or player. The compensation beyond the 2nd depends on how early the 2nd is. Keep in mind this is one of the best drafts in years and, so, the picks have greater value than most years. I also do not buy for a second that Marshall can truly become a team player or stay out of trouble. I don't buy that he and the Broncos (not just McDaniels) can co-exist. Further, if he stays in Denver for another season we are looking at best a 3rd round comp for him after the season (and, maybe, less depending on the new CBA).
The bolded sentence is totally false and is why the entire argument fails.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:04 AM   #24
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

broncswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:05 AM   #25
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
The bolded sentence is totally false and is why the entire argument fails.
How is it false?
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote