The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default Apollo 13 Liftoff, 40 years ago today.

40 years ago today Apollo 13 would clear the massive counter weights which held her Earthbound at 13:13est.

This would be Lovell's last mission, he would retire from NASA after meeting his goal to walk on the moon. Part of the "Next Nine" class that would follow the Original Mercury 7, Lovell had spent a week in space with Buzz Aldrin in the cramped Gemini capsule and orbit the moon in the historic Apollo 8 flight on Christmas eve 1968. Some said that flight single handedly saved 1968, one of the most turbulent years in American History.

The 1969 season was not kind to the Denver Broncos, they finished 5-8-1 and were swept by both KFC and Oakland. The NFL merger would take place the coming season.

As the craft reached orbit and the crew prepared for the S-IVB (TLI - Translunar Injection) burn, no one could forsee the events that would await them 200,000 miles from home.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Relevant, maybe interesting?
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
Tom G
Ring of Famer

I knew Jack Swigert slightly, (business meeting, lunch, golf, 19th hole drinks). As I'm sure you all know, he ran for congress, won, but passed away before he was sworn in. Kevin Bacon played him in the movie version of the story.
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Failure is not an option !!!
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
I knew Jack Swigert slightly, (business meeting, lunch, golf, 19th hole drinks). As I'm sure you all know, he ran for congress, won, but passed away before he was sworn in. Kevin Bacon played him in the movie version of the story.
Very cool. I make sure to stop by his statue at DIA on my way home from Bronco games.

Got any good stories? Was he a Bronco fan?
Old 04-11-2010, 02:13 PM   #7
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

If anyone is interested in computing check out Eldon C. Hall's book "Journey to the Moon: The history of the Apollo Guidance Computer".

The CM and the LM each had a DSKY interface that used the concept of nouns and Verbs.

The computers memory was a series of "ropes" wired by hand and measured in words.

Very good book. It is amazing how many man hours went into creating the computers for the LM, CM, and Saturn V.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #8
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
He was a CU grad.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:11 PM   #9
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
40 years ago today Apollo 13 would clear the massive counter weights which held her Earthbound at 13:13est.

This would be Lovell's last mission, he would retire from NASA after meeting his goal to walk on the moon. Part of the "Next Nine" class that would follow the Original Mercury 7, Lovell had spent a week in space with Buzz Aldrin in the cramped Gemini capsule and orbit the moon in the historic Apollo 8 flight on Christmas eve 1968. Some said that flight single handedly saved 1968, one of the most turbulent years in American History.

The 1969 season was not kind to the Denver Broncos, they finished 5-8-1 and were swept by both KFC and Oakland. The NFL merger would take place the coming season.

As the craft reached orbit and the crew prepared for the S-IVB (TLI - Translunar Injection) burn, no one could forsee the events that would await them 200,000 miles from home.
Hey Broncosteven, I know that the space program has been a passion of yours for some time - where did that come from? Is it just an interest, or have you been involved in that profession in some way?
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:30 PM   #10
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Just so folks get a feeling on small a room they operated in:

the dimensions of VW bus
Height 6'10"
2.08 m
Width 6'1"
1.844 m
Length 15'
4.57 m

Dimensions
Height: 36.2 ft 11.03 m
Diameter: 12.8 ft 3.9 m
Volume: 218 ft3 6.17 m3
Old 04-11-2010, 03:51 PM   #11
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

So awesome. Congrats one of the greatest engineering feats of all humanity.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:16 PM   #12
T/F Bronco
Just Drafted

Cheers!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

I remember this well. I was a Junior in High School in southern California. We were glued to the tv. I remember the first mercury flight and the first moon landing. It certainly was an awesome accomplishment in American history considering the turbulent years of Vietnam.
T/F Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #13
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

It's on Dateline NBC right now. What those poor families went through. I remember watching TV, it was a true cliffhanger.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #14
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The Dateline show was good tonight - lots of interviews of the key players in the Apollo 13 saga (Lovell, Haise, Kranz, and others)

I was 13 years old in 1970 - my passion for following the space program as a kid was only second to my devotion to the Broncos. I watched every minute of coverage I could of the historic Apollo 11 and Apollo 12 flights, and couldn't understand why the networks were cutting back their coverage of Apollo 13. This was in the days of 4 tv stations in denver, the 3 major networks (abc, nbc, cbs), and no cable channels like cnn to cover the apollo 13 mission more in depth.

Once the accident happened the networks suddenly took notice, and the rest of the flight was covered in detail. I watched every minute. At school the mission was the subject of everyday conversation. "Do you think we are going to lose our astronauts?" a kid standing next to me in gym asked (I hardly knew him). The Apollo 13 saga suddenly had become mainstream - EVERYONE was following it not just space obsessed kids like myself.

When the astronauts returned home safely I remember feeling very happy, as were my family and friends. Only years later, in watching documentaries and reading books on the Apollo program, did I realize the danger the astronauts faced was much greater than the news reporting let on at the time.

After Apollo 13 life returned to normal in 1970. The Broncos had drafted local hero Bobby Anderson from CU as their #1 pick back in January. Anderson had a great college career but never did much as a pro (plagued by injuries). The town was excited about the Broncos first full year in the NFL in 1970, and the Broncos did have a big upset win at home against the defending super bowl champ KC Chiefs in September.

While interest and tv coverage of the NFL exploded starting in 1970, coverage of the apollo program went the other direction. With each remaining apollo mission I was disappointed that there was less and less network tv coverage.
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #15
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Hey Broncosteven, I know that the space program has been a passion of yours for some time - where did that come from? Is it just an interest, or have you been involved in that profession in some way?
I remember being interested in the space program as a kid but got into computers instead.

I saw a PBS Nova special on the Apollo 13 disaster, still the best program on the mission I have ever seen. Around that time Chris Kraft wrote his book and then it seemed like everyone in NASA wrote a book. I thought Gene's was the best and when I read his Tough and Competent speech post the Apollo 1 fire I was hooked. I was doing a lot of project management at the time and was amazed at how he managed his teams.

If you listen to the MOCR loops it is amazing how anyone could keep a handle on everything let alone trust his guys to come up with options without the threat of reprisals or accountablity for the failure. They just "Worked the problem" as each one came up.

I will post a break down of the events on the 13th.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #16
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I had a 45" record with the Apollo 11 landing recorded and my brother and I used to put it on our record player and listen to it in the late 1970s. The only other 45" my brother and I had was Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. I played the crap out of that one...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #17
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
So awesome. Congrats one of the greatest engineering feats of all humanity.
I don't know how anyone could not be awed standing under the refurbished Saturn V at the KSC.

I can't wait to take my kids to the Kansas Cosmosphere to see the Odyssey Capsule when they are old enough. We stopped at the SAC museum in 2001 on route to a Bronco game because my wife didn't want to fly. Standing next to a SR-71 so close you could almost touch it was awesome.

It is as if our technology has taken 2 steps back from what it was from 1945-1972.

No ablity to send men into orbit after September and no craft that can do MACH 3 or better for long durations of time. Even the Concords are grounded.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:44 PM   #18
bronco610
OLD FART

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Saw the title of the thread and didn't even need to guess the person who started it.
Well done sir, well done !!!!!!
bronco610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:13 AM   #19
Bronco Yoda

Gene wore a pink thong that matched the pink lining of his vests
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:30 AM   #20
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post

I live in the same county as NASA & Kennedy Space Center. It has been celebrated locally and has been fun to re-live. What's sad is how the Obama administration has made so many changes to the structure of the space program that approximately 8,000 space center workers (highly educated aerospace engineers and managers) are going to lose their job by the end of the year. The economy in our area is going to really tank. I was not a huge fan of Obama before this news, but he's in the doghouse here in our area for sure! I have friends at NASA who have no idea what they're going to do once they're laid off.

Sad, sad stuff...

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/...-to-Cocoa-Expo

The article above gives some details

Last edited by dbfan21; 04-12-2010 at 11:34 AM..
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #21
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Tonight is the night at 2200 hours that the phrase was delivered into America history

Swigert: 'Okay, Houston, we've had a problem here.'
Duke: 'This is Houston. Say again please.'
Lovell: 'Houston, we've had a problem. We've had a main B bus undervolt.'
Old 04-13-2010, 04:35 PM   #22
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfan21 View Post
I live in the same county as NASA & Kennedy Space Center. It has been celebrated locally and has been fun to re-live. What's sad is how the Obama administration has made so many changes to the structure of the space program that approximately 8,000 space center workers (highly educated aerospace engineers and managers) are going to lose their job by the end of the year. The economy in our area is going to really tank. I was not a huge fan of Obama before this news, but he's in the doghouse here in our area for sure! I have friends at NASA who have no idea what they're going to do once they're laid off.

Sad, sad stuff...

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/...-to-Cocoa-Expo

The article above gives some details
Hopefully build insanely cool products for consumers
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #23
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

THE OFFICAL BRONCOSTEVEN APOLLO 13 TRIBUTE

While preparing my tribute to the 40th Anniversary of the Apollo 13 mission I came across a Time magazine article on Tom Hanks’ HBO Mini-series “The Pacific”. Over the course of the last 15 years Hanks has become the Steven Ambrose, David McCullough, and if you’re old enough to remember Bosom Buddies Deloris Kearns Goodwin, of the iPod generation. Hanks’ abilities to team up with great people and create great HISTO-tainment that is digestible by young and old has made learning history cool and even fun.

Although some of Hanks’ comments from this article have become a lightning rod for criticism he said something that struck a chord with me. While touring the Marine Corps training facility he talked about how he was impressed with the discipline the young Marines followed and the way it drew them together as a group, “Astronauts, test pilots, Army Rangers all adhere to a kind of self-government that is infectious”. Hanks goes on to say “The fact is, I have no inner discipline and Americans rigorously training to perform public service is inspiring to me”. Personally, I never have been able to explain my interest in great human accomplishments as succinctly as Hanks did in that quote.

Maybe this also explains why I have been attracted to football since the first time I saw a game on TV as a kid living in Denver. At its essence football is about execution, it requires 11 players working together executing their assignments for a common goal. Growing up I found a hero in Floyd Little and used to run around in my one Bronco tee shirt and pretend to evade defenders and go in for the touchdown. Then as I got older I realized the real game was won in the trenches, whereas before I thought the offensive and defensive linemen were just in the way I learned that plays were defined at the lines.

It is easy to be a fan of the QB throwing the last second TD or the RB who plows through the holes in the lines or the Astronaut setting foot on a moon 250,000 miles away. The real question is who are the real hero’s, who really got the Astronaut to his touchdown? The enemy scientist who surrendered to the US in the closing days of WWII with as much of his life’s work as he could pile on as many lorries he could commandeer? The president who challenged a generation to do the other things not because they are easy but because they are hard? The engineers who beat the swords of long range missiles into the plowshares of sub-orbital flight? The corporations who bid on the contracts and hired the engineers who designed the Capsules (CSM) and Lunar modules (LM)? The skilled workers who built the designs? The ground crews at the cape? The ground crews at Houston? The staff of the Mission Operations Control Room (MOCR)? These millions made up the starters on the offense that scored touchdowns at Tranquility base, Statio Cognitum or “Pete’s Parking lot”, Fra Mauro Base, Hadley Rille, Descartes Highlands, and lastly Taurus-Littrow.

I think Super Bowl XXXII is the greatest ever for a lot more reasons than just because I am a lifelong Bronco fan. The Drama of the great super bowls make them great it is not the final score that defines the game but how the players came together as a team to overcome obstacles and their burning desire to do anything they could to reach their goal. We as Bronco fans remember the lead changes in that game, TD overcoming a migraine after missing the second quarter, Elway “helicoptering” for first down yardage, the play of the smaller Denver offensive line gassing Glibert Brown and Reggie White in Denver’s Zone run game. Everyone had to contribute and execute when called on for the Broncos to win that day so much so that on Green Bay’s last possession Denver was forced to play two backup DB’s with the game on the line because the starters were knocked out on the play before. On April 13th through 16th 1970, it took thousands all over the world to ensure the safe return of the crew of Apollo 13. In my mind returning Jim Lovell, Fred Haise, and Rusty Swigart to earth after a catastrophic explosion nearly 200,000 miles away was NASA’s greatest achievement.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #24
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Drum Roll.....
Old 04-13-2010, 06:28 PM   #25
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum