The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default NFL.com gives Broncos a B for last 3 years of drafting

Denver: B
Total picks made: 23
Picks on current roster: 17
Touchdowns: RB Knowshon Moreno, WR Eddie Royal, OT Ryan Clady
Fumbles: DE Jarvis Moss, DE Tim Crowder
Jury still out: CB Alphonso Smith, DE/LB Robert Ayers

Analysis: The Broncos have undergone a major transformation with Josh McDaniels taking over for Mike Shanahan in the Mile High City. With a new philosophy in place, the Broncos took a new approach to rebuilding their team and the draft is an integral part of that strategy. In his first draft, McDaniels aggressively maneuvered to get a host of picks in the draft's early rounds. While it remains to be seen whether each of those picks will pan out, the Broncos have definitely found a franchise-caliber runner in Knowshon Moreno. Additionally, the team has watched Ryan Clady develop into a Pro Bowler in only his second season. Although those success stories won't absolve the team from the ill-advised selection of Jarvis Moss in 2007, they are indicative of the potential that exists within their draft classes. However, that immense potential will remain unrealized until Alphonso Smith and Robert Ayers prove they are worthy of the lofty draft status.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09...s&confirm=true
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Touchdowns: RB Knowshon Moreno
Aaaaaaand begin 12 page thread.

Harris was a better pick(so far).
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

**** that's way better than I was expecting.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:42 PM   #4
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
Denver: B
Total picks made: 23
Picks on current roster: 17
Touchdowns: RB Knowshon Moreno, WR Eddie Royal, OT Ryan Clady
Fumbles: DE Jarvis Moss, DE Tim Crowder
Jury still out: CB Alphonso Smith, DE/LB Robert Ayers

Analysis: The Broncos have undergone a major transformation with Josh McDaniels taking over for Mike Shanahan in the Mile High City. With a new philosophy in place, the Broncos took a new approach to rebuilding their team and the draft is an integral part of that strategy. In his first draft, McDaniels aggressively maneuvered to get a host of picks in the draft's early rounds. While it remains to be seen whether each of those picks will pan out, the Broncos have definitely found a franchise-caliber runner in Knowshon Moreno. Additionally, the team has watched Ryan Clady develop into a Pro Bowler in only his second season. Although those success stories won't absolve the team from the ill-advised selection of Jarvis Moss in 2007, they are indicative of the potential that exists within their draft classes. However, that immense potential will remain unrealized until Alphonso Smith and Robert Ayers prove they are worthy of the lofty draft status.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09...s&confirm=true
That's about the size of it. A lot depends on how those two pan out. It may be unfair, but those two pretty much will define the difference between an average draft and a good or great draft.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Ayers will be a probowl caliber player in 2-3 years
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #7
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
Aaaaaaand begin 12 page thread.

Harris was a better pick(so far).
I figure Moreno will be around 100 TD's for his career. He has the knack around the goal line. He's also solid between the 20's, is versatile in the passing game. He'll have a good career.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:58 PM   #8
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

This thread wont go anywhere without dragster, BF7 or Rasta...

This what it must have been like when people discovered fire. Liberating.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:01 PM   #9
jhat01
Ring of Famer

Knuckle Dragging Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ManRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post

jhat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #10
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:

Don't you worry Chris......Kip, jhns & Rev will be along shortly.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #11
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:

It's just wonderful. Take note mods!
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:41 PM   #12
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

B blah. Try a A.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:32 PM   #13
Caveat Lector
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

I stopped reading at 'Bucky'...
Caveat Lector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #14
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

For my part, I'd like to see Knowshown develop more game to game consistency and at least break the hundred yard mark once before resting comfortably on the idea that we've "definitely found a franchise-caliber runner in Knowshon Moreno." He had a good November, but he was the invisible man in December. I suppose you expect that from a rookie. I'm hoping he quiets my concerns about him with a strong showing come September.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:33 AM   #15
Caveat Lector
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
For my part, I'd like to see Knowshown develop more game to game consistency and at least break the hundred yard mark once before resting comfortably on the idea that we've "definitely found a franchise-caliber runner in Knowshon Moreno." He had a good November, but he was the invisible man in December. I suppose you expect that from a rookie. I'm hoping he quiets my concerns about him with a strong showing come September.
I wouldn't say he was the 'invisible man in December'. He got plenty of carries, it's just that McD ran him into a pile of defenders every time. It was like a broken record - Moreno up the gut for no gain, Moreno up the gut for -1 yards, Moreno up the gut for no gain. Next year when Orton gets more accustomed to the offense, McD can get a bit more creative in the run game, so defenses don't cram LBs and Safeties at the line...
Old 04-09-2010, 12:46 AM   #16
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
Ayers will be a probowl caliber player in 2-3 years
I agree. The one thing that you can't coach is talent and he has that. He's motivated and showed some flashes last year. I only hope he's smart enough to develop techniques he'll need at the NFL level.

The 'B' grade though? Uh, no, when you factor in Moss, Crowder, Smith, Quinn and still some question about Moreno as a franchise guy. C+ maybe? C? Better than some I guess. Look at Oakland for the real armpit of NFL drafting strategies.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:58 AM   #17
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveat Lector View Post
I wouldn't say he was the 'invisible man in December'. He got plenty of carries, it's just that McD ran him into a pile of defenders every time. It was like a broken record - Moreno up the gut for no gain, Moreno up the gut for -1 yards, Moreno up the gut for no gain. Next year when Orton gets more accustomed to the offense, McD can get a bit more creative in the run game, so defenses don't cram LBs and Safeties at the line...

I used to play this game myself. It's the offensive line's fault. It's the coach's fault. It's the quarterback's fault. It's the fault of everybody else except the guy who isn't producing. You may be right. That doesn't change that we don't truly know what we have here. He hasn't managed a single 100 yard game. He hasn't managed the game-to-game consistency that you expect from a first round draft pick. That's not to say that he doesn't have it in him. His November was noteworthy, the Pittsburgh game notwithstanding. But then, outside of games against KC, where he managed 4 TDs against them, he had 3 TDs all year. I don't mean to take his 4 KC TD's away from him, I certainly appreciate them... But the statement that Bucky made was that we "definitely found a franchise-caliber runner in Knowshon Moreno." I hope this to be the case, but I'm not as comfortable with this statement as Bucky is. To use TD or Portis as a comparison, I knew watching them during the preseason that we had found an x-factor runningback. Moreno didn't do anything all season long that made me think "this guy is the x-factor." That's what I expect out of a first round back: "x-factor."
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:39 AM   #18
Caveat Lector
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
I used to play this game myself. It's the offensive line's fault. It's the coach's fault. It's the quarterback's fault. It's the fault of everybody else except the guy who isn't producing. You may be right. That doesn't change that we don't truly know what we have here. He hasn't managed a single 100 yard game. He hasn't managed the game-to-game consistency that you expect from a first round draft pick. That's not to say that he doesn't have it in him. His November was noteworthy, the Pittsburgh game notwithstanding. But then, outside of games against KC, where he managed 4 TDs against them, he had 3 TDs all year. I don't mean to take his 4 KC TD's away from him, I certainly appreciate them... But the statement that Bucky made was that we "definitely found a franchise-caliber runner in Knowshon Moreno." I hope this to be the case, but I'm not as comfortable with this statement as Bucky is. To use TD or Portis as a comparison, I knew watching them during the preseason that we had found an x-factor runningback. Moreno didn't do anything all season long that made me think "this guy is the x-factor." That's what I expect out of a first round back: "x-factor."
What you say is true, I just think his production could have been better in a different situation.

One thing I noticed about Knowshon last year was that he didn't look in NFL condition. He seemed to be carrying some 'baby fat' and wasn't as toned and thick as your stock NFL runner. I guess a solid off-season will get him into the shape of an NFL back...
Old 04-09-2010, 03:29 AM   #19
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveat Lector View Post
What you say is true, I just think his production could have been better in a different situation.

One thing I noticed about Knowshon last year was that he didn't look in NFL condition. He seemed to be carrying some 'baby fat' and wasn't as toned and thick as your stock NFL runner. I guess a solid off-season will get him into the shape of an NFL back...
I think a lot of the rooks these days are conditioned for the combine and not to play football. After a year of conditioning to actually play football, maybe Moreno can come out swinging in 2010.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:58 AM   #20
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
If the team was already making the transition from ZBS to a Power scheme (which it seems like they were trying last season), it could have made the whole transition to the NFL a little difficult.

I agree that I like Knowshon, but I didn't "absolutely know" that he would be a stud like I did with Portis his rookie year. I will give a little bit of a pass, and expect him to get at least 5-6 games over a hundred yards this season (probably around 1,300 rushing yards). If he doesn't move in that direction in 2010, I start to call myself worried.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:13 AM   #21
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
I used to play this game myself...
Lot's of people still play "this game" with that loser QB we shipped off to Chicago last year.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:29 AM   #22
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

I don't get the knocks on Ayers. I knew, and thought others did as well, that he was a year or two from being a true impact player.

I have Mayock's words ringing in my ear. "I think in 2-3 years Ayers could be the best defender out of this draft."

I think transitioning to a knew position is difficult in general, but even more difficult when everyone else on the team is transitioning as well. I think that we'll see big strides from both Moreno and Ayers now that they understand their roles.
Dedhed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:45 AM   #23
_Oro_
Formerly known as Casson

Don't run that sh*t this way.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
- R. Ayers

Against the Skins he got 97 yards.
_Oro_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:52 AM   #24
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

I don't see how you can blame Moreno for his lack of yards last year. His O line had him fighting off contact 2 yards behind the LOS, hard for a guy to show his stuff if he isn't allowed to even get started. He was a guy that got meant in the backfield on about 30% of his carries and it got worse as the season wore on.

I'll bet moreno will hit 1500 years this year unless we draft Spiller than he will get around 1200.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:43 AM   #25
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Oro_ View Post
Against the Skins he got 97 yards.
Well holy ****.

FRANCHISE!

Moreno doesn't scare anyone. That's his problem. He's mister average.

But hey, at least he's not Ayers.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote