The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P
Default OT Windows 7 compatibility question

Question for anyone familiar with windows 7...

My external HD is hooked up to my comp upstairs, which is hooked to my wireless router.

My ps3 sits downstairs, where it picks up the wireless signal perfectly. With windows 7 (and previous versions I think, but I never tried with them), you're able to wirelessly sync your media library with your ps3, essentially turning any t.v. into a media center.

The problem I'm having, is that it none of my music files seem to be coming up when it syncs. The ps3 recognizes the HD, and plays VIDEOS from it, but when it searches for the 20000 or so songs, it comes back with the message that no media can be found.

I talked to a guy at BB today, and he has the same problems with his 360 (odd to me, because I thought since it was a microsoft machine the compatibility would be spot on).

Anywho, anyone have any solutions? I've been searching online, but can't really find an answer.

Basically, my music files (of any type, wmv, mp4 etc) aren't being found by my ps3.

thanks
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/P...9256658#M44882

I just googled PS3 media sharing...
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

get the free ps3 media server. Works great with music and movies, even decodes bluray mkv files so that the PS3 can recognize them.

http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/P...9256658#M44882

I just googled PS3 media sharing...
....and it came up with a solution for the firmware version 1.10. not to mention wmp version 11.

Not trying to sound like a douche, I probably should have clarified what I'm currently using.

Ps3 firmware 3.2 ish, and wmp 12.

I know how to use google. This is something I've been trying to figure out since I bought my new computer, but unfortunately, haven't been able to yet. I'm finding out that it MIGHT have something to do with my firewalls (DLNA errors on my ps3), which I don't know a whole lot about, and don't want to risk opening my computer up to viruses.

But, the sarcasm was greatly appreciated
Old 04-08-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

let me rephrase the question.

I've tried a ton of workarounds...EXCEPT the ones that involve you shutting down the windows/anti virus firewalls.

So, the question i SHOULD have asked is, if I temporarily disable my firewalls...what could happen. And secondly, once I locate the ps3 on the streaming options, can I then turn the firewalls back on without losing my WMP info on the ps3?
Old 04-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #6
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconia View Post
....and it came up with a solution for the firmware version 1.10. not to mention wmp version 11.

Not trying to sound like a douche, I probably should have clarified what I'm currently using.

Ps3 firmware 3.2 ish, and wmp 12.

I know how to use google. This is something I've been trying to figure out since I bought my new computer, but unfortunately, haven't been able to yet. I'm finding out that it MIGHT have something to do with my firewalls (DLNA errors on my ps3), which I don't know a whole lot about, and don't want to risk opening my computer up to viruses.

But, the sarcasm was greatly appreciated
Dude, there's 85 pages discussing firewalls and DLNA problems...
Old 04-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #7
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigs11 View Post
get the free ps3 media server. Works great with music and movies, even decodes bluray mkv files so that the PS3 can recognize them.

Only problem with media server is it's finnickey. But it works fine if you don't mind rebooting every time you want to watch/listen to stuff.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Dude, there's 85 pages discussing firewalls and DLNA problems...
ha my mistake sir, reading through it all now.

Ps, disabled both firewalls, followed the steps from his appropriate link.

The problem isn't my ps3 not recognizing my computer (it recognizes it, shows it as a "found" server on the ps3), it's just not seeing my music files.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:03 PM   #9
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigs11 View Post

Looks like I'm either going to be trying this (thanks) or the Tveristy program in Doccow's link (thanks).
Old 04-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #10
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Sounds more of a PS3 issue than Windows 7, i know the OS shares media well with an Xbox because of the built-in functionality.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #11
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Is your music legally purchased? That **** wont play on a PS3, period. You have to convert it and strip out the DRM.

If its already illegally obtained music OR if its music ripped from legally purchased CDs, then the problem lies in the Playstation platform, not windows. The music works in Windows, is recognized by Windows, the problem is the playstation.

From my understanding (I wouldnt touch anything Sony made ever, but thats me), the PS3 is supposed to be able to play music from your computer as long as there is no DRM attached. Firewalls have absolutely nothing to do with it, assuming of course you have allowed your playstation through them.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #12
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

I just downloaded the latest PS3 OS upgrade and they are not supporting other OS's on the box and limiting what you can access. What version are you running?
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #13
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Is your music legally purchased? That **** wont play on a PS3, period. You have to convert it and strip out the DRM.

If its already illegally obtained music OR if its music ripped from legally purchased CDs, then the problem lies in the Playstation platform, not windows. The music works in Windows, is recognized by Windows, the problem is the playstation.

From my understanding (I wouldnt touch anything Sony made ever, but thats me), the PS3 is supposed to be able to play music from your computer as long as there is no DRM attached. Firewalls have absolutely nothing to do with it, assuming of course you have allowed your playstation through them.
Well, I know I've got all different types of music. I've got the stuff from itunes I've purchased over the years. All the cd's I've burned onto my comp over the years. a BIG chunk (about 50 gigs or so) from a friend who had a ridiculously large library, of which I don't know where he got it from. Free downloads from different artist's websites, and some limewire stuff.

But, NONE of it plays, at all. When I search for a server, it locates the homegroup (named it cory) where I have all of my libraries linked. At first I thought that perhaps it was just my external HD, but realized that the movies it was playing were in folders located on both the cpu's hd AND the external (where consequently I also have pics and songs). When I click on the music icon, it tries searching, and then says no tracks available.

Question regarding the music...where can I find which songs are/aren't DRM protected? just right click and look in the properties? Is it usually a certain file type, like an mp3 mp4 wmv etc etc? What types of songs are most likely NOT protected, so that maybe I can group some together in a separate library and link to them as a kind of controlled expiriment?
Old 04-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #14
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I just downloaded the latest PS3 OS upgrade and they are not supporting other OS's on the box and limiting what you can access. What version are you running?

I just downloaded it as well. 3.21 i believe? But this problem has been happening since early january for me.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:41 PM   #15
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Only problem with media server is it's finnickey. But it works fine if you don't mind rebooting every time you want to watch/listen to stuff.
huh? reboot what? I don't have any issues. What version you running?
Old 04-09-2010, 02:24 PM   #16
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Riggs, downloaded media server. It works PERFECTLY. Only problem is, I have all of my music in subfolders. When I was reading the info on the Media Server, it said you wouldn't have to have the specific root folder, but I can't seem to get it to work any other way.

Very cool though, thanks again!
Old 04-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #17
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

Hmm...strange,I also have subfolders under my root folder and have no issues.You can try resynching the ps3 media server on your ps3.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:49 PM   #18
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

I'll have to give that a try
Old 04-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #19
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

if you had a mac you wouldnt have these problems, duh.
tsiguy96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #20
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

DAMMIT, I should have known