The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default For Pete's sake...

For Pete's sake...

Posted April 08, 2010 @ 11:01 a.m. ET
By Dan Arkush

For obvious reasons, there's still a whole lot of head-shaking going on in NFL circles in the wake of Mike Shanahan's shocking heist of six-time Pro Bowl QB Donovan McNabb from the Eagles.

With dramatic suddenness, a delightfully mellow Easter Sunday turned into a frenzied nightmare for pro football Web sites far and wide, obligated to deliver the inside scoop without hesitation.

Suffice it to say, it comes with the territory.

More and more each season, it has become a given in the line of work to which I have devoted practically my entire adult life that there is absolutely no rest for the weary in the good ol' NFL.

We should have known, after all, that Shanahan, the former Broncos kingpin who had been keeping a surprisingly nondescript profile since returning to the pro football wars as the head coach of the Redskins, had something earthshaking up his sleeve.

The trade of McNabb within the NFC East certainly qualifies as an earthshaking maneuver.

Three days removed from the McNabb shocker, as I peck away at this column on another relatively slow day in the world of pro football, something tells me that the earth could begin shaking big-time in the not-too-distant future, thanks to another old/new head coach whose offseason moves up to now have been more odd than anything else.

Don't look now, but Pete Carroll, who was paid a king's ransom to leave USC and renovate a Seahawks team that, for my money, was the absolute worst in the league at the end of last season, just might be ready to drop another big-time bomb on the NFL landscape.

Can you say "Brandon Marshall"?

Please understand that I am not privy to any inside information whatsoever on the prospect of Carroll and the Seahawks taking a deep breath and cutting a deal for Marshall — via either a trade with the Broncos or, a lot less likely, a restricted free-agent offer that would require them to relinquish the sixth overall pick in the upcoming draft.

But while the price both in compensation and money is expected to be very hefty whatever route they would take — Marshall is said to be looking for at least $10 million a year — I can feel something really big about to happen out in Seattle in these raggedy old bones of mine.

Make no mistake: Despite his well-documented "rap" sheet, Marshall, who has managed three straight 100-catch seasons, is going to be doing his thing for some team come September, for better or worse.

We're talking high risk/high reward of the highest order with this particular cat, my friends. But the way I see it, if ever there was a team that needed a really dramatic lift, it's the Seahawks, who certainly have the money to gamble, thanks to their zillionaire owner, Paul Allen.

As it is, the Hawks have already done their share of high-stakes gambling this offseason, dropping down 20 spots in the second round and giving up a third-round draft pick in 2011 to the Chargers in exchange for QB Charlie Whitehurst, whom they apparently envision as their QB of the future despite the fact he has yet to throw a regular-season pass in four years at the pro level.

In addition, Marshall and his fiancée, Michi Nogami-Campbell, were flown in on Allen's seaplane for a visit to the Seahawks' headquarters March 6-7. A few weeks later, Carroll said at the league meetings in Orlando that the Seahawks have the advantage of some "unique insights" on Marshall, courtesy of the three coaches on his staff who worked with the receiver in Denver — offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates, QB coach Jedd Fisch and TE coach Pat McPherson.

On the field, Marshall would quickly fill one of the team's numerous major needs. A split end with speed, size and separation ability, he could be the perfect complement to T.J. Houshmandzadeh, one of the league's premier possession receivers.

But off the field?

We're talking about a player who has clearly been more trouble than he's worth in the Mile High City.

Just last March, he and his fiancée were arrested after a public skirmish in which several witnesses, including an off-duty policeman, reported seeing them kick and punch each other. The case was later dismissed, but the bad taste from the incident lingers.

Marshall was also on hand for the New Year's Day 2007 altercation that led to the fatal shooting of Broncos teammate Darrent Williams.

Those are just two of the red flags he has waved repeatedly during his four-year career.

Could Carroll, who has been known for his willingness to give troubled players a second chance, help get Marshall's act together in a neat, new environment?

I wouldn't blame him at all if he decided to steer clear of the Samsonite that Marshall carries. But as I've already indicated, I just have this feeling he is going to take a chance on Marshall.

And I would hardly be surprised if he followed in Shanahan's footsteps, catching everybody off guard on another quiet Sunday.

Memo to my fellow football-writing brethren: Be forewarned.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...for-petes-sake
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

there's nothing new in this article
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
Eldorado
Formerly orange&blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ayers

Stopped reading here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Please understand that I am not privy to any inside information whatsoever on the prospect of Carroll and the Seahawks taking a deep breath and cutting a deal for Marshall
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

just something to pass the time.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

I heard the Eagles traded McNabb to the Redskins to actually block them from taking Bradford.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:13 PM   #6
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

The setup is ripe for Seattle to make the plunge.

New Head coach trying to make a statement and to win now and an owner with all the money he could ever need.

I'm afraid Marshall might be off to Seattle.

Too bad too because I think he has turned the corner on his maturity issues.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:13 PM   #7
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFoneco1331 View Post
I heard the Eagles traded McNabb to the Redskins to actually block them from taking Bradford.
Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #8
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Compared to a lot of the kids Carroll has worked with over the years I doubt he considers Marshall's problems to be that big of a deal.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #9
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Compared to a lot of the kids Carroll has worked with over the years I doubt he considers Marshall's problems to be that big of a deal.
Seriously, and he can probably feel for Marshall and his contract situation given that the majority of the guys Carroll has coached the last few years have made more money per year at USC than Marshall has in the NFL.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:28 PM   #10
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Seriously, and he can probably feel for Marshall and his contract situation given that the majority of the guys Carroll has coached the last few years have made more money per year at USC than Marshall has in the NFL.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #11
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Pete has always been an inspirational kind of guy. He just knows how to keep his players "inspired."
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:03 PM   #12
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Pete has always been an inspirational kind of guy. He just knows how to keep his players "inspired."
You mean besides making everyone sing "Lean on Me?"
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:08 PM   #13
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
You mean besides making everyone sing "Lean on Me?"
he throws dummies of Lendale White off of roofs
Old 04-08-2010, 02:14 PM   #14
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
What makes you say that?
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #15
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagmar View Post
What makes you say that?
Just seeing a general slow arching maturing in Marshall in the way he has reacted than reflected and in turn admitted poor judgment and managed to get a little wiser from the more recent experiences.

Time will tell but with the right coach marshall can become a focused monster of a football player and I think Josh is a guy that can do it, if fact I would say Josh needs marshall more than marshall need Josh.

If McD can manage to keep Marshall, McD will the one to grow immensely in an area of need just by figuring out the combination to reach Brandon.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:02 PM   #16
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

I hate reading opinons, I just want juicy facts.
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #17
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanhr9 View Post
I hate reading opinons, I just want juicy facts.
It's a fact you will get mostly opinions here.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:25 PM   #18
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Looks like a draft day trade might be what this article is suggesting. Give us the #14 and you can have Bmarsh. Or give us multiple picks comparable to the #14 value wise in the 2010 draft and you can have Bmarsh.

This is a deep draft and if McD is gonna score heavy on the picks, this is the draft to do it in.

If something doesn't happen during the draft, just bring Bmarsh back for another season.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #19
Cool Breeze
Ring of Famer

Broncos Rock!

"I wouldn't blame him at all if he decided to steer clear of the Samsonite that Marshall carries"

OJ may have found that hurdle insurmountable...
Cool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #20
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFoneco1331 View Post
You heard wrong. The Skins were not going to be able to get Bradford anyway. No way.
ZONA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:53 PM   #21
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Just seeing a general slow arching maturing in Marshall in the way he has reacted than reflected and in turn admitted poor judgment and managed to get a little wiser from the more recent experiences.

Time will tell but with the right coach marshall can become a focused monster of a football player and I think Josh is a guy that can do it, if fact I would say Josh needs marshall more than marshall need Josh.

If McD can manage to keep Marshall, McD will the one to grow immensely in an area of need just by figuring out the combination to reach Brandon.
I agree with you and I think alot of people also lose sight of the fact, BM doesn't have problems ON THE FIELD. He doesn't complain about not getting the ball passed to him on every down, he doesn't complain about having to go over the middle, he doesn't complain about having to block. There are plenty of good WR's who have voiced these types of complaints.
ZONA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:14 AM   #22
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
The setup is ripe for Seattle to make the plunge.

New Head coach trying to make a statement and to win now and an owner with all the money he could ever need.

I'm afraid Marshall might be off to Seattle.

what part have you seen him mature? The fact he hasnt been arrested or even publically talking? He is laying low until it is time to get paid. Nothing doesnt surprise me with BM. We thought this same thing during the season until the last game of the season. I am on the, and always will be now, a wait and see approach towards BM.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:30 AM   #23
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

I kind of agree with this, and I think marriage will have a further stabilizing effect on his behavior, especially if a child becomes a factor anytime soon. Even with the maturation, I still think the guy will be a high maintenance, 'me' kind of player, but with the right coach, he can be that monster WR that keys a teams offense.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:37 AM   #24
TonyR
Franchise Poster

On a somewhat related note...

Generally speaking, we like the direction in which the Browns are heading. But we've noticed that the new poobah's legendary locker-room impatience could be infecting his approach to team management.

To put it bluntly, Mike Holmgren seems to be a little impulsive.

He basically gave Brady Quinn away to the Broncos, even though a more deliberate approach could have resulted in a bigger trade package if, for example, a team needing a quarterback didn't get the player it wanted in the draft. More importantly, Holmgren opted to execute a plan that included trading for a career clipboard-holder (Seneca Wallace) and paying like a starter a guy who should be holding a clipboard (Jake Delhomme), instead of waiting to see whether the Eagles would reduce their asking price for Donovan McNabb.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ring-holmgren/
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:45 AM   #25
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
On a somewhat related note...

Generally speaking, we like the direction in which the Browns are heading. But we've noticed that the new poobah's legendary locker-room impatience could be infecting his approach to team management.

To put it bluntly, Mike Holmgren seems to be a little impulsive.

He basically gave Brady Quinn away to the Broncos, even though a more deliberate approach could have resulted in a bigger trade package if, for example, a team needing a quarterback didn't get the player it wanted in the draft. More importantly, Holmgren opted to execute a plan that included trading for a career clipboard-holder (Seneca Wallace) and paying like a starter a guy who should be holding a clipboard (Jake Delhomme), instead of waiting to see whether the Eagles would reduce their asking price for Donovan McNabb.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ring-holmgren/
I think Holmgren is going to be a class A crappy GM. He's gonna suck at it. Wanna know why the Browns suck: ownership keeps making one crappy decision after another and hiring Holmgren as their GM is a perfect example.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote