The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2010, 07:43 AM   #1
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Greatest Bronco plays of all time: #2 Floyd makes a great catch after being "fired"

On my sports blog at http://sportsindenver.blogspot.com/

#2 on my list of the greatest bronco plays of all time:

What happened on November 24, 1968 has become legend among longtime Bronco fans. On that day the Broncos played the Buffalo Bills. Clinging to a 31-29 lead and running out the clock, future Bronco Hall Of Famer Floyd Little fumbled. Buffalo recovered and kicked the go ahead field goal. Listen to Floyd and Bronco coach Lou Saban tell the story in this old 1980 tv special I recorded:

This catch by Floyd is #2 on my list on the greatest bronco plays of all time. You can't really see from the above video what a great catch this was. I was a 12 year old sitting in the South Stands for this game, and the long Briscoe to Little pass was coming right towards me. Floyd dived for the ball and made one of the greatest catches I have seen by a Bronco to this day.

What would have happened if Floyd had not made this spectacular play? Would Saban really have fired Floyd? Probably not, but the incident may have caused a rift between the two that would have created a Cutler like trade in the late 60's. Afterall, Saban did get rid of the quarterback who threw that pass, the amazing Marlin Briscoe, and he might have had enough with Floyd, too.

Floyd Little was an inspiration to kids growing up in Denver in the late 60's/early 70's like myself. This play showed his never give up attitude and great talent on the football field. When Floyd gets inducted into the Hall Of Fame in August this old South Stander will have a smile on his face - remembering all the thrills Floyd gave me and especially this great play.

Next: #1 on my countdown of great bronco plays - champions at last!
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2010, 07:54 AM   #2
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Gee, I wonder what the #1 is gonna be... Who knows, it might be a surprise...
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
Bronc62
Solid Starter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The pass by Briscoe on the run was amazing as well...about 70 yards diagonally downfield. A taste of Elway to come some 15 years later.
Bronc62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #4
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Fran Lynch
Bobby Howfield
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
DarkHorse
RPM Racer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2Win View Post
Gee, I wonder what the #1 is gonna be... Who knows, it might be a surprise...
It has to be the helicopter, if it isn't.......I quit OM

Seriously tho, regardless of what the #1 is - that helicopter will ALWAYS be my #1 favorite Bronco play of all time.
DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post

Seriously tho, regardless of what the #1 is - that helicopter will ALWAYS be my #1 favorite Bronco play of all time.
I cannot watch that play enough, and each time I do I get goosebumps.

Not only is it one of the greatest plays, but it also is probably the greatest moment in franchise history.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
Tom G
Ring of Famer

Saw that game. Wow. And the lights were so poor it's a miracle Floyd could see the ball on that play. Typical example of his greatness.

Two other comments. Brisco was the first black QB to start in the NFL. And altho he was short (5-11), he was the best QB to play for Denver up 'till then (don't get me started on Tripucka with his 51-85 TD-INT ratio and 14-27 won lost record! - and he is not only in the Ring of Fame, his number has been retired! - along with Little and Elway - sheesh.
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:11 PM   #8
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post

Mine is John Elway's throw to Mark Jackson to finish off 'The Drive'.

That's the game that started Elway's comeback legacy.

I grew up in Ohio and was 14 years old at the time and that game was about as important as it got.

The helicopter play was awesome in it's own right, but 'The Drive' and those 80s Championship Games were epic for a young Broncos fan growing up in Ohio.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:19 PM   #9
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan View Post
On my sports blog at http://sportsindenver.blogspot.com/

#2 on my list of the greatest bronco plays of all time:
...Floyd Little was an inspiration to kids growing up in Denver in the late 60's/early 70's like myself. This play showed his never give up attitude and great talent on the football field. When Floyd gets inducted into the Hall Of Fame in August this old South Stander will have a smile on his face - remembering all the thrills Floyd gave me and especially this great play.

Next: #1 on my countdown of great bronco plays - champions at last!
I was early mid 70's throught his retirement. The D was getting good but it was Floyd that carried that town for years, too bad he couldn't stick around for a couple more years and taste the big wins to come.
broncosteven is online now   Reply With Quote