The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2010, 04:03 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Broncos Mailbag: The forgotten wide receiver?

Broncos Mailbag: The forgotten wide receiver?

Jim from California suggests rediscovering a trusty target in Royal
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

Updated: 04/07/2010 01:26:46 AM MDT

Mike - If a good attitude paired with great talent is what Josh McDaniels wants at wide receiver, why on earth has he largely ignored Eddie Royal? -- Jim, Mendocino, Calif.

Jim - The two guys most directly responsible for Royal's statistics — McDaniels, the head coach and offensive playcaller, and Kyle Orton, the quarterback — have both stated regrets about how the No. 2 receiver was underutilized last season.

There are a few reasons why Royal went from 91 catches and five touchdowns as a rookie to 37 catches and no touchdowns in his second season. One was both McDaniels and Orton got a little too Brandon Marshall happy. Why feed the wing when the big guy is open in the post? Marshall is not expected to be around Denver for the 2010 season, so that should open some opportunities for Royal.

Another problem was because rookie Alphonso Smith did not develop as hoped, Royal had to handle almost all the return duties. After a return, it made sense for Royal to take a play off to catch his breath. When a player misses the first play of a possession, it can be difficult to find the rhythm of the series.

It also didn't help that Royal missed the last 2 1/2 games with a concussion. Jabar Gaffney had 33 catches and no TDs through 14 games. He had 21 and two in his last two games.

I also believe Royal would benefit from a shift to the slot position. Providing he can hold up physically, Royal can become the Broncos' version of Wes Welker, who also returns punts for the New England Patriots.

Are any of the restricted free agents close to signing their tenders?
-- Everett, Phoenix

Everett - Right guard Chris Kuper has signed. Brandon Marshall and tight end Tony Scheffler are not expected to sign their tenders unless the Broncos first have a trade lined up.

The deadline for another team to present an offer sheet to restricted free agents is April 15, and the deadline for RFAs to sign their tenders is in June.

I would guess quarterback Kyle Orton would sign his tender by the June deadline. The trickiest case is Elvis Dumervil. He led the NFL with 17 sacks last season. Even though his tender calls for a substantial $3.168 million salary in 2010, he would have been in line for a monster contract that included guarantees in excess of $30 million through unrestricted free agency.

My guess is Dumervil will sign his tender, show up for the mandatory minicamp that is tentatively scheduled for June 11-13. But then he will have a decision to make on whether to report to training camp in late July if he doesn't have a multiyear contract extension by then.

I have to give kudos to the Broncos for upgrading the defensive line in free agency, but what's up with the offensive line? It's clear the Broncos need a center. It's obvious that it's likely to be addressed in the draft, but how about a veteran, too?
-- Joe Pierce, Woodland, Wash.

Joe - The veteran backup center would be Russ Hochstein, who's coming off late-season knee surgery. The Broncos' starting center in 2010? He has to be Maurkice Pouncey, the University of Florida prospect who currently is waiting for his uniquely spelled name to be called in the draft.

Pouncey will go before the Broncos pick in the second round with the No. 45 overall selection. But do they dare take a center with their No. 11 overall pick in the first round? If so, Pouncey would be the highest-drafted center since 1968, when the Bengals used their No. 2 overall selection on Bob Johnson.

My draft projection for the Broncos is they trade down from No. 11 to, say, the 14th to 16th area, grab Pouncey there, and then pick up an extra second- or third-round pick. Easier said then done, but the No. 11 pick is a good trade-down slot. See 2006, when St. Louis traded its No. 11 pick to the Broncos, who jumped up from No. 15 to take Jay Cutler.

If the Broncos stay at No. 11, they could go with Alabama inside linebacker Rolando McClain.

I am glad Denver got Brady Quinn. Cleveland was ruining a potential starting NFL quarterback, and the Redskins were not a match (even with Mike Shanahan). I think they should come out and give Brady the vote of confidence and tell him and the fans: You will start and play the entire season; it's your position to lose. You have to stick with a quarterback, and Quinn has the smarts, size, arm and confidence to do the job. What about it?
-- R. Neville, Washington

. - I agree with the smarts and size. Not yet sure about the arm and confidence because Quinn hasn't played enough to show enough about those qualities. He has the outward confidence, to be sure. True, inner confidence, though, can only be attained through consistent on-field success and as you pointed out, R., Quinn hasn't had that opportunity yet.

As for coming out and saying he's the man, that's not the way it's going to work. Kyle Orton is the Broncos' starting quarterback and deserves to be. Orton has 29 wins as an NFL starter. Quinn has three. Do you make Quinn the starter based on what you think he can be, even though Orton is the more proven player? Occasionally, this happens but not often. And not in this case.

Mike - If you had to choose between the two former Notre Dame quarterbacks to lead our Broncos, who would you choose: Jimmy Clausen or Brady Quinn? Thanks.-- Nick, Seattle

Nick - This sounds like a leading question. Leading right into trouble. No wonder players are paranoid of the media. Anyway, I'll take Quinn. He's here and has been around the NFL environment for three years, even if he remains unproven. Clausen is not here, although I do think he has the potential to be a great NFL quarterback. I know Notre Dame was only 6-6 last season, but check out Clausen's stats as a junior: 28 touchdown passes, four interceptions, 310.2 passing yards per game.

I know Navy, Washington and Stanford (combined 1,214 yards, 9 TDs, 2 INTs) aren't the Chargers, Colts and Cardinals (Aha! It's the Stanford Cardinal, not Cardinals). But I do see an NFL future with Clausen having big games against the Chargers, Colts and Arizona Cardinals.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14831233

Last edited by Bronco Rob; 04-07-2010 at 04:33 AM..
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2010, 05:50 AM   #2
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Wow, Klis should be in jail because he's stealing his salary by writing this crap. I didn't make it far into the first 'answer.' Phonz got hurt, that's why Eddie was returning punts in the middle of the season, had nothing to do with his development. (For Phonz, you can talk about bringing in Ty Law or the undrafted kid and his development, but his punt returning wasn't an issue. But this was supposed to be about Eddie, not Al)
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:00 AM   #3
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Besides the Rams in '06, when was the last time someone traded out of #11? You'd hope that it's happened more than once recently before Klis starts calling it a good trade down spot.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:08 AM   #4
chex
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Is Pouncey so head and shoulders above the next tier of C that we should be worrying about how we can maneuver in the first round to get him and at value? Would there be a C in the second round that would give us better bang for the buck?
chex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:28 AM   #5
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chex View Post
Is Pouncey so head and shoulders above the next tier of C that we should be worrying about how we can maneuver in the first round to get him and at value? Would there be a C in the second round that would give us better bang for the buck?
No he is not, and yes there are centers that will be available in rounds 2-4 that will be as good or better than Pouncey.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:52 AM   #6
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

I thought Orton was very honest about why Royal was missed yesterday in his presser, I think whether Marshall stays or goes he will be used more.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:14 AM   #7
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRabb View Post
I thought Orton was very honest about why Royal was missed yesterday in his presser, I think whether Marshall stays or goes he will be used more.
I though it was a great presser. He made great comments, you could see his intelligence just shine through. His answers, especially about going deep-- we need the protection first, then the play needs time to develop... You almost think you are listen to the Coach speak.

He very much strikes me as a guy, once everything is worked out and becomes second nature, who can be that field general or coach on the field type-- which would be freaking awesome!!!
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:37 AM   #8
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
Besides the Rams in '06, when was the last time someone traded out of #11? You'd hope that it's happened more than once recently before Klis starts calling it a good trade down spot.
I was wondering that too
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:12 AM   #9
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2Win View Post
I though it was a great presser. He made great comments, you could see his intelligence just shine through. His answers, especially about going deep-- we need the protection first, then the play needs time to develop... You almost think you are listen to the Coach speak.

He very much strikes me as a guy, once everything is worked out and becomes second nature, who can be that field general or coach on the field type-- which would be freaking awesome!!!
totally agree
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:10 AM   #10
steeledude
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Orton sounded like a recording to McD up there. He acts smart, and like he knows things, but if you actually listen to his comments it's like common sense BS that any of us can spout. He knows his job is about to be pulled out from under him. He is extremely limited in what he can do and seems to be able to only consistently hit a WR who is a physical giant and a phenom. So let's trade that Phenom and keep McNoodle Neckbeard out there saying all the right things then going out and doing them wrong.

Yeah let's get in the endzone more. Great strategy Orton. You're brilliant. You should've follow up with we'll do that by throwing the ball so the WRs can actually catch them.
steeledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:16 AM   #11
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeledude View Post
He knows his job is about to be pulled out from under him.
Not this year.

Quote:
He is extremely limited in what he can do and seems to be able to only consistently hit a WR who is a physical giant and a phenom.
Jabar Gaffney accepts your compliments.

Quote:
So let's trade that Phenom and keep McNoodle Neckbeard out there saying all the right things then going out and doing them wrong.

Yeah let's get in the endzone more. Great strategy Orton. You're brilliant. You should've follow up with we'll do that by throwing the ball so the WRs can actually catch them.
Did he kick your dog or something? Damn, you are bitter.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:20 AM   #12
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Wow, Klis should be in jail because he's stealing his salary by writing this crap.

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #13
steeledude
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Not this year.

Jabar Gaffney accepts your compliments.

Did he kick your dog or something? Damn, you are bitter.

He hit Jabar Gaffney only about 33 times all season. Same as Royal. So I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

I guess he had one game where he hit Jabar multiple times when Brandon was out and we were playing one of the worst teams in the league and we were still blown out. So I can see how you might think that's a good thing.

The guy sucks. Get rid of him.
steeledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:34 PM   #14
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Once again, stupid media buying into the hype market about BM not expected to be around in Denver this season. Good lord already. Please find a credible source that says he won't be in Denver and then you can write all the crap you want about him not being wanted here or expected to be here. Yeah, find one credible quote, from somebody who has control over whether or not he stays or goes, that says McD doesn't want him here. They can't find one because there isn't one. It's just easier to say things like "he's not expected to be there", because they can then continue on with their fantasy. WEAK ****.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote