The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default Mock Draft contest feedback thread.

JCMElway and I have been discussing having a mock draft contest before the draft starts. I'm pretty sure we have done something like this before in the past. Right now I would just like to get some feed back on what rules we would have and what kind of a point system you guys would like.

Would you like to dock points for incorrect picks?

I was already thinking you would get points for correct position for the team IE Lets say you have Suh to the Lions you and they pick McCoy. You would some points for getting DT right.

As far as trades go I think you should get more points for predicting the trade and even more if you get the trade partner right. At the same time I think you should lose more points for guessing trade and not getting it right other wise people could just say traded for all 32 picks and then they might end up with more points .

That's all the idea's I have now about it. I would love more feedback on what we should do for it. Thanks in advance.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2010, 04:32 AM   #2
ELEVATION
GO BIG OR GO HOME NOW

Knee Deep in Crazy land

Adopt-a-Bronco:
JD WALTON

sounds fun...i would simply give 3 points for correct player, 2 points for correct position ie..dt,cb,wr and 3 points for correct draft position...

for trades i would only give points if both teams are correct in the trade...ie san fran trades with denver and its correct, but if san fran trades with jacksonville and it doesnt happen then no points period other than what theperson could get from the first point sequence....

so lets say as example i set up the first 15 picks my way....,

1. Bradford
2. Suh
3. Mccoy
4. Okung
5. Dan Williams
6. Eric berry
7. Jared ODrick
8. Bruce Campbell
9. Trent williams
10. Derrick morgan
11. Houston***trade with denver(earl thomas)
12. Brandon graham
13. Joe haden
14. Traded to denver(Sean weatherspoon)
15. Roland Mcclain

but lest say the real draft happens and houston trades up but its with san fran then i get no points, and st louis selects clausen i wouldnt get the player right but i do get position and draft position correct so i get the points for that

just a couple ideas i guess.....my mind is wandering trying to figure it out...HAHA
ELEVATION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:51 AM   #3
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Paradis by the dashboard lights

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Hmmm... once you get into trades, the complexity really goes off the charts.

I'd say award 1 point for each correct player in the top 32 + a bonus point for the player at the right draft position + a bonus point for the player with the right team regardless of position.

For example, if the Rams pick Bradford at #1, and that's what you had on your mock, you get three points. If the Rams don't pick him, but he still goes in the first round, you get one point. AND, if the Rams trade down to #4 and still pick Bradford, you get 2 points, because you got the player and team right, but not the position.

Does that make any sense?

Regardless, I'd say simpler is better in these types of things, otherwise it'll be too hard to calculate who scored what....
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:07 AM   #4
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatFan View Post

I'd say award 1 point for each correct player in the top 32 + a bonus point for the player at the right draft position + a bonus point for the player with the right team regardless of position.

For example, if the Rams pick Bradford at #1, and that's what you had on your mock, you get three points. If the Rams don't pick him, but he still goes in the first round, you get one point. AND, if the Rams trade down to #4 and still pick Bradford, you get 2 points, because you got the player and team right, but not the position.

Regardless, I'd say simpler is better in these types of things, otherwise it'll be too hard to calculate who scored what....

What he said. Simpler, but still allows you to project trades in your mock by changing your draft order and player to reflect the trades you predict.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:41 AM   #5
ELEVATION
GO BIG OR GO HOME NOW

Knee Deep in Crazy land

Adopt-a-Bronco:
JD WALTON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatFan View Post

good points...simpler the easier....but trades should be allowed......personally i dont think points should be given for trades unless both teams in the trade are correct
ELEVATION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:48 AM   #6
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELEVATION View Post
good points...simpler the easier....but trades should be allowed......personally i dont think points should be given for trades unless both teams in the trade are correct
I think that system does allow for trades by allowing you to change your draft order (i.e. insert the teams you believe will trade into those draft slots). For example, if I believe the Giants will trade up with Denver I simply swap the teams in my mock at #11 and #15 to reflect the Giants picking at #11. At least I think that is what he meant...
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Trades seems to be the more difficult thing to agree on. We know they will happen so we need to allow them here. I still think you should get partial points for predicting a trade and more points for getting the partner right, but I could live with scoring it as you have to get both teams right.

I would like to keep the scoring pretty simple. I agree that it will make it easier to calculate the winner.

So what do we agree on so far?

A point for picking a player drafted in the first round.
Two points for picking the position of the player selected.
Three points for correct player for team?

What else? Great feedback so far. I would love to hear from of the other mock guru's!!!
Old 04-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #8
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I think more people will play if you make it super simple. Not many people are going to want to try and figure out points regarding trades and what not. And screw the points for correct position. That's weak. This is the first round baby. Pick the player and get points and that's it. The only thing you should not get docked for is sign and trade. For example, you guess that the Rams will take Bradford and they do, but the Broncos make a deal to take Bradford from the Rams and give up their 1st this year and 1st next year, something along those lines. But let's keep it mega simple. You just get so many points for picking the correct player in the right draft order. What I think will make it more fun is a point escalation scale the further down the draft you go. It's easier to pick the first several picks but as the round continues, it gets harder because a wierd pick say in the middle of the round really could throw the rest of the round off just a bit.

I would say do something like this:

Picks 1-5: 5 points for every correct pick.
Picks 6-10: 6 points
Picks 11-15: 7 points
Picks 16-20: 8 points
Picks 21-25: 9 points
Picks 25-32: 10 points
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:34 PM   #9
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

I would like to add a super simple reward for predicting a trade with a nice point upgrade if you guess the trade correctly, and a minor penalty if you're wrong. That way you can't just guess trades wily-nily. But if you're right, Yahtzee!

How about this:
I kinda like Zona's progressive point scale, because the first picks are easy. So:

Then add --

Trades: Correct prediction of a trade is worth 20 points. If any part of the predicted trade is wrong, it takes 4 points away from your score. BTW, predicting the trade position correctly is the key here. You don't have to get the correct players to get the 20 points.

I thought about adding player drafted in a particular slot but to the wrong team for a lesser amount of points, but that seems to defeat the purpose of trying to predict what a team will do and it just becomes more random. So, I am more in favor of correct team at correct slot, or nothing.

Also, I would be open to if a player you predict to be taken in round one is taken in round one than it's a bonus point.

This system allows trades while still being pretty simple, but it also gives you more points for the harder picks down the line.

Thoughts?

Last edited by JCMElway; 04-08-2010 at 09:37 PM..
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:00 AM   #10
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMElway View Post
I would like to add a super simple reward for predicting a trade with a nice point upgrade if you guess the trade correctly, and a minor penalty if you're wrong. That way you can't just guess trades wily-nily. But if you're right, Yahtzee!

How about this:
I kinda like Zona's progressive point scale, because the first picks are easy. So:

Then add --

Trades: Correct prediction of a trade is worth 20 points. If any part of the predicted trade is wrong, it takes 4 points away from your score. BTW, predicting the trade position correctly is the key here. You don't have to get the correct players to get the 20 points.

I thought about adding player drafted in a particular slot but to the wrong team for a lesser amount of points, but that seems to defeat the purpose of trying to predict what a team will do and it just becomes more random. So, I am more in favor of correct team at correct slot, or nothing.

Also, I would be open to if a player you predict to be taken in round one is taken in round one than it's a bonus point.

This system allows trades while still being pretty simple, but it also gives you more points for the harder picks down the line.

Thoughts?
Is "Yahtzee" some kind of cult word used by the few? Was at the gym working out the other day and this overweight guy lifting weights trying to get back into shape kept saying "Yahtzee" at the end of his reps as they were getting harder. It was odd. He would pump up 5 or 6 reps and then when he was slowing and stuggling, he would say that word. I was like, huh?
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:39 PM   #11
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Is "Yahtzee" some kind of cult word used by the few? Was at the gym working out the other day and this overweight guy lifting weights trying to get back into shape kept saying "Yahtzee" at the end of his reps as they were getting harder. It was odd. He would pump up 5 or 6 reps and then when he was slowing and stuggling, he would say that word. I was like, huh?
Yahtzee is a dice game made by Milton Bradley (now owned by Hasbro), which was first marketed by game entrepreneur Edwin S. Lowe in 1956. The games is a development of earlier dice games, such as "Yacht" and Generala. The object of the game is to score the most points by rolling five dice to make certain combinations. The dice can be rolled up to three times in a turn to try to make one of the thirteen possible scoring combinations. A game of Yahtzee consists of thirteen rounds during which the player chooses which scoring combination is to be used in that round. Once a combination has been used in the game, it cannot be used again.

The scoring combinations have varying point values, some of which are fixed values and others of which have the cumulative value of the dice. A Yahtzee is five-of-a-kind and holds the game's highest point value of 50 (not counting multiple "Yahtzees" in the same game). When you get the 5 of a kind after three rolls you shout "Yahtzee!"
Old 04-12-2010, 01:43 PM   #12
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

So, Does anyone have a problem with these being the rules?

--Picks 1-5: 5 points for every correct pick to the correct team.

--1 point for every correct player taken in the first round.

--20 points for correct prediction of a trade within the first round. Both teams must be correct.

--3 points taken away for trade guessed incorrectly.

Whattaya think?
Old 04-12-2010, 02:29 PM   #13
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMElway View Post
So, Does anyone have a problem with these being the rules?

--Picks 1-5: 5 points for every correct pick to the correct team.

--1 point for every correct player taken in the first round.

--20 points for correct prediction of a trade within the first round. Both teams must be correct.

--3 points taken away for trade guessed incorrectly.

Whattaya think?
I think we go forward with this point system.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:13 PM   #14
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Thanks DBronc. Oh, and you can alter your draft order up until the thread gets locked down.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: