The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
ICON
|^|Punter of Gnomes|^|

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..Snap!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving
Default Icons 1st round Mock Draft with trades

In the past years, I’ve never made a mock draft that comes close to what actually happens. Yet, I still love making mocks and receiving intelligence input on them..

Denver trades pick #11 to NY Giants for pick #15 and pick #76

15) Jared Odrick DE

Denver trades Brandon Marshall to Tampa Bay Buccaneers for picks 35 and 42
35) Golden Tate WR

42) Maurkice Pouncey C

45) Terrence Cody NT

76)Donald Butler

80)Aaron Hernandez TE

114)Toby Gerhart RB

184)Mike Johnson OG

Last edited by ICON; 04-05-2010 at 06:07 PM..
ICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

That would be sweet if it fell like that but I think Pouncey and Cody are gone by the 1st round.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
Drek
Ring of Famer

Not bad but from a realism standpoint you'd be better off moving Pouncey up to #35 and Tate or Benn at #42.

And I'd take Cam Thomas at #45 before Cody.

I also don't see us drafting a TE in the 3rd, and to get Gerhart you'll probably need to take him in the 3rd. So move Toby up to #80.

I don't see a selection for the #76 pick we acquired in the first trade either. Seems like a great place to grab Donald Butler or Brandon Spikes.

That would let you use #114 on Mike Johnson (or Mitch Petrus, Zane Beadles, or Eric Olsen), which seems like a more realistic spot for him.

Then #184 could be used on a new FB, say Clay Harbor out of Missouri State.

Finish it off in the 7th by grabbing the best punter on the board, ideally Zoltan Mesko or Brent Bowden (I love me some VaTech special teamers).
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
robbieopperude
Perennial Pro-bowler

Shannon to Canton!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICON View Post
In the past years, Iíve never made a mock draft that comes close to what actually happens. Yet, I still love making mocks and receiving intelligence input on them..

15) Jared Odrick DE

35) Golden Tate WR

42) Maurkice Pouncey C

45) Terrence Cody NT

76)Donald Butler

80)Aaron Hernandez TE

114)Toby Gerhart RB

184)Mike Johnson OG

I would be shocked if Pouncey was there and I think mount Cody will be gone then too. I don't see us taking Gerhart or Hernandez either. Why do we need another RB when McD is committed to Moreno as his starter. TE isn't utlized so why draft a receiving TE?
robbieopperude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
robbieopperude
Perennial Pro-bowler

Shannon to Canton!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If Marshall is traded I don't see us taking a smaller receiver either. We already have one of those.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #6
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Good job Icon... That would be a dream haul! I am not a big fan of Odrick though and I think Eddie Royal and Golden Tate are very similar. So, with in mind... Iupati at15 is decent value and Benn in place of Tate... Would be great to get a pair of 2nds for Marshall!
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:34 PM   #7
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
Good job Icon... That would be a dream haul! I am not a big fan of Odrick though and I think Eddie Royal and Golden Tate are very similar. So, with in mind... Iupati at15 is decent value and Benn in place of Tate... Would be great to get a pair of 2nds for Marshall!
Tate and Royal are very different. Royal needs to be moved inside to a slot WR role, Tate on the other hand plays bigger than his 5'11" height and is best on the wing. They could work very well as complimentary players in this offense.

I would prefer taking Benn a little later though. I like Tate better as a prospect, but I think Benn would fill Marshall's role as a short to intermediate chain mover with home run potential. We need to get a tall speedster for the opposite wing spot as well if we're going to be able to really get this offense running right.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #8
robbieopperude
Perennial Pro-bowler

Shannon to Canton!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I also think Tate is the better prospect but I would take Benn or the kid from Georgia Tech over him because the value is so close and in todays NFL you need a leaper who will get the TD when you are inside of the 5 yard line. I can't see Tate helping us out there at all.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:38 AM   #9
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieopperude View Post
I also think Tate is the better prospect but I would take Benn or the kid from Georgia Tech over him because the value is so close and in todays NFL you need a leaper who will get the TD when you are inside of the 5 yard line. I can't see Tate helping us out there at all.
I think you'd be surprised on that one. Tate has an explosive vertical leap and he's one hell of a banger at the WR position, he doesn't shy from physical contact at all.

That said, he isn't going to do it as well as guys who have that as their primary skill like Benn and Thomas. Or Dez Bryant for that matter. But Tate is probably the best all around WR in this draft, offering speed, physicality, sure hands, excellent run after the catch ability, and a great understanding of pro style routes.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:00 AM   #10
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

To me, looks like Tate lets too many balls into his body for my taste. He's going to be separated from the ball a heck of a lot more in the pros.
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #11
Elway777
Ring of Famer

I love this draft but would take Joseph or Thomas over Cody
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:38 PM   #12
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I wouldn't be pulling my hair out over this, but...

1. I may be in the minority, but I think we are pretty set at DE this year. If we could swing a trade in the top 5 for SUH, he could be a massive improvement. Otherwise, I don't think that Odrick would be any better than Bannan, and we have several other rotational guys that should do fine on the other side (McBean, Green). The strength of the 3-4 used to be that you could convert mid round smallish DT's into 3-4 DE's. They are supposed to be big "lane cloggers" that stop the run, and let the LB's run free.

2. If you really ask yourself honestly, do Tate + Pouncey = Marshall? I just don't think so. There are other Centers that will probably be better than Pouncey (if not at least as good).

I know i'm sticking my neck out here, but my prediction is that the best skill player on the board around #35 will be Dexter McCluster. Laugh all you want, but that guy is absolutely electric, and he's a tough SOB for his small size. I've seen him take over a game, and I think he will also do that in the NFL. Somebody will be very happy they picked McCluster.

We are all trying to figure out how McD drafts in the long term, but the words that stick with me from his interviews are "versatile, instinctive football players." So, if I am looking for versatility, I still have my eyes on one of the top Tackle/Guard prospects like Trent Williams, Ducasse, or Jerry. Any one of those guys could step right into the lineup at LG, then kick out to Tackle in case of injury.

Cody would be a good value pick at #45, but i think he will be off the board.
Hard for me to comment on the others because I think the top rounds will look different. I sure don't have any problem with the players you selected, I just don't know what the needs will be after the first three rounds.

Should be fun to watch this year's draft...
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #13
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

I have one major problem with this mock: that picture is not of Mike Johnson.

I think several of your mid round picks will probably go higher than that, but I love the players chosen, all guys I've been putting in my mocks (although I'd say i'm more lukewarm towards Odrick and Pouncey).
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #14
mattob14
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post

1. I may be in the minority, but I think we are pretty set at DE this year. If we could swing a trade in the top 5 for SUH, he could be a massive improvement. Otherwise, I don't think that Odrick would be any better than Bannan, and we have several other rotational guys that should do fine on the other side (McBean, Green). The strength of the 3-4 used to be that you could convert mid round smallish DT's into 3-4 DE's. They are supposed to be big "lane cloggers" that stop the run, and let the LB's run free.
While I'm not completely sold on Odrick at 11, I don't think he would have to be a massive upgrade at DE this year for the pick to be worthwhile. The d-line is drastically improved this year, but there's still not a lot of depth or young talent; Odrick would bring both. Letting Odrick rotate with Green this year while adjusting to the NFL should help keep Green fresh and productive throughout the season too.
mattob14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:10 AM   #15
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

I could live with this scenerio. Good job.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:02 AM   #16
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Very damn interesting. If it played out this way, I'd be very pleased, even with Odrick. **** 'em.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:35 AM   #17
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
I think you'd be surprised on that one. Tate has an explosive vertical leap and he's one hell of a banger at the WR position, he doesn't shy from physical contact at all.

That said, he isn't going to do it as well as guys who have that as their primary skill like Benn and Thomas. Or Dez Bryant for that matter. But Tate is probably the best all around WR in this draft, offering speed, physicality, sure hands, excellent run after the catch ability, and a great understanding of pro style routes.
How is that different from Eddie Royal? Not disagreeing on your assessment of Tate, but that is the same thing I saw of Eddie Royal. Physically, he is one of the strongest receivers in the league. He has great hands, almost identical speed, and while we haven't seen it often, his run after the catch potential is as good as 95% of the receivers in the league. As far as routes go, I'd say based on year one and the combo routes he used (see the opener vs DHall and the SD TD and ensuing 2pt conversion) he has a very good understanding of pro style routes.

Again, not trying to call you out. I'm just interested in your take of why they are different. Seem like very similar players IMO.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #18
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post

I agree 100%! I would be disappointed if we used a high pick on a 5-tech.

2. If you really ask yourself honestly, do Tate + Pouncey = Marshall? I just don't think so. There are other Centers that will probably be better than Pouncey (if not at least as good).

IMO, yes Tate + Pouncey would = Marshall. Pouncey has his flaws, but he would be a potential Pro-bowler in a need position. Tate (or Benn, Williams 2, or even a guy like Grankowski) gives you some needed depth at the WR position. I think a WR Corps of Royal, Gaffney, Tate, etc is pretty strong and gives us more than enough fire power to run the offense effectively.

I know i'm sticking my neck out here, but my prediction is that the best skill player on the board around #35 will be Dexter McCluster. Laugh all you want, but that guy is absolutely electric, and he's a tough SOB for his small size. I've seen him take over a game, and I think he will also do that in the NFL. Somebody will be very happy they picked McCluster.

Interesting take. I'm glad you have some good things to say about McCluster b/c I think there is a pretty good chance he'll end up in Orange n Blue. I was less than impressed by him in the Sr. Bowl but I know he had a great season and certainly has the ability to play well even in the NFL. That being said, if we were to take him at #35 over a guy like Best, Tate, or Benn... I'd be upset.

We are all trying to figure out how McD drafts in the long term, but the words that stick with me from his interviews are "versatile, instinctive football players." So, if I am looking for versatility, I still have my eyes on one of the top Tackle/Guard prospects like Trent Williams, Ducasse, or Jerry. Any one of those guys could step right into the lineup at LG, then kick out to Tackle in case of injury.

Love the idea of Trent Williams, but I have my doubts as to whether he will make it to #11. Ducasse hasn't impressed me much and now there are questions as to whether he can make the adjustment (mentally) in the NFL. Jerry or Staffor would be excellent picks though.

Cody would be a good value pick at #45, but i think he will be off the board.
Hard for me to comment on the others because I think the top rounds will look different. I sure don't have any problem with the players you selected, I just don't know what the needs will be after the first three rounds.

I'd love to get Mt. Cody at 45. I think he is going to be a much better player than people are expecting. He will never be a 3 down player, but if you're looking for a guy that can help put you into 2nd and long or 3rd and long situations to help your D get off the field, I think he's the way to go. He would also be a valuable piece for your goalline D and 3rd/4th and 1 type situations. IMO, you want a 3 down player in the first round... but in the 2nd round a 2 down player that offers as much as Cody is a worthwhile investment.

Should be fun to watch this year's draft...
This year's draft should be very fun. Lots of possibilities and potential for trades. Good takes, btw.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:49 AM   #19
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
How is that different from Eddie Royal? Not disagreeing on your assessment of Tate, but that is the same thing I saw of Eddie Royal. Physically, he is one of the strongest receivers in the league. He has great hands, almost identical speed, and while we haven't seen it often, his run after the catch potential is as good as 95% of the receivers in the league. As far as routes go, I'd say based on year one and the combo routes he used (see the opener vs DHall and the SD TD and ensuing 2pt conversion) he has a very good understanding of pro style routes.

Again, not trying to call you out. I'm just interested in your take of why they are different. Seem like very similar players IMO.
They're similar in a lot of ways, but Tate is better at fighting off contact to win jump balls or make tough catches over the middle.

Royal is great at what he's great at, guys like Benn, Thomas, and Dez Bryant are great at a totally different skill set. Tate straddles both styles because even though he's only about 5'11" he is an exceptionally physical player, much more so than Royal.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #20
ICON
|^|Punter of Gnomes|^|

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..Snap!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Just my 2 cents but I dont think teams go into the draft thinking "well we have one short WR that run great routes"

So now we should only try and draft a big and tall WR who is Physically strong to fight off contact.........No ...If Denver were to lose BM then Denver would need a play maker at WR with big potential after the catch . Thats how and why I drafted Tate in my mock draft...

Also why not draft a RB who is young and was a finalist for the Heisman at pick 114 ? Alot of teams run a two back system ..no

As for the Hernandez pick ...The real positives of his game are his ability to find ways to get open,superb hands with excellent skills after the catch and good ball security. When you catch passes thrown by Tim Tebow you better be able to adjust to poorly thrown passes and be able to use body control to make the play. Hernandez has shown he can do both. He looks very smooth and much faster than he times in the open field, striding almost like a small forward on the field. He's got long arms and is a good leaper and is much faster than you see in shorts.

I see him doing the most damage is in the red zone where he can find his spots and get open and make the tough catch..And Denver could always use a true player like that.

Last edited by ICON; 04-07-2010 at 12:49 PM..
ICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:28 PM   #21
Momentum
Mockdrafthq.com, go there

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Pouncey Gerhart and Hernandez would be all gone by the pick you have them
Momentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:39 AM   #22
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICON View Post
In the past years, Iíve never made a mock draft that comes close to what actually happens. Yet, I still love making mocks and receiving intelligence input on them..

15) Jared Odrick DE

35) Golden Tate WR

42) Maurkice Pouncey C

45) Terrence Cody NT

76)Donald Butler

80)Aaron Hernandez TE

114)Toby Gerhart RB

184)Mike Johnson OG
This would be, quite possibly, the most awsome draft ever.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: