The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which is more of a cult
Apple 28 43.08%
Sciencetology 33 50.77%
The church of Pez and Hotrod 13 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2010, 07:05 AM   #1
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Default More cult like following

Just want to spread some holiday cheer.

Which has more cult like following - Apple or Scientology?
elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2010, 07:38 AM   #2
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

You should have put Hillis up there.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:38 AM   #3
Arkansas Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Where is the Hillis option? The absence of this option will confuse many posters.
Arkansas Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:42 AM   #4
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Griese started Scientology and invented the iPod.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:47 AM   #5
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Crapple
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:54 AM   #6
*WARHORSE*
GNASHING OF TEETH

Let the heads roll.........

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lombardi III

Islam
*WARHORSE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:00 AM   #7
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

i will never go back to PC after having my mac for 3 years. lovin it!
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #8
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
McDaniels, man.
There's no bigger cult than that
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:57 PM   #9
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
McDaniels, man.
There's no bigger cult than that
There is may be two people that you could argue actually "worship" McDaniels, or think he can do no wrong. Worship is like talking him up like he's some kind of super coach. Most of the McDaniels supporters come from defending him from the relentless attacks on everything he does. Just because you think he doesn't suck in every aspect of life doesn't mean you worship him or even think he's a long term answer at head coach. It just means we aren't ready to join a mob to kill him like a third of the board.

In fact, the cult of anti-McDaniels is more ridiculous and prominent, because you guys attack every move, even when other coaches do something similar as "the stupidest thing ever" and dismiss every success and either minor or not his doing.

I mean look at Blue. When asked if she likes anything McDaniels did, the only thing she could come up with was begrudgingly admit Dawkins was a good a signing, but then quickly declared all his other moves were bad.

The rest of us who defend him don't think he's God's gift to coaching, we just like more moves than we dislike and find the haters incessant complaining and hyperbole annoyingly beyond reason.

Last edited by Kaylore; 04-05-2010 at 08:00 PM..
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:00 PM   #10
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
There is may be two people that you could argue actually "worship" McDaniels, or think he can do no wrong. Worship is like talking him up like he's some kind of super coach. Most of the McDaniels supporters come from defending him from the relentless attacks on everything he does. Just because you think he doesn't suck in every aspect of life doesn't mean you worship him or even think he's a long term answer at head coach. It just means we aren't ready to join a mob to kill him like a third of the board.

In fact, the cult of anti-McDaniels is more ridiculous and prominent, because you guys attack every move, even when other coaches do something similar as "the stupidest thing ever" and dismiss every success and either minor or not his doing.

I mean look at Blue. When asked if she likes anything McDaniels did, the only thing she could come up with was begrudgingly admit Dawkins was a good a signing, but then quickly declared all his other moves were bad.

The rest of us who defend him don't think he's God's gift to coaching, we just like more moves than we dislike and find the haters incessant complaining and hyperbole annoyingly beyond reason.
In fairness, Kaylore.... it's far too soon to judge most of McDaniels' moves as either "good" or "bad"... like last year's draft, for example. They need more than one season before we embrace them as studs or give up on them as busts. Same goes for this year's FA pickups... can we please let them play a meaningful down or two before we're asked to assess their performance? The jury's still out on McDaniels and the vast majority of his decisions and only time will tell which "side" of the debate was "right" or "wrong" on the coach himself or on his choices. I will unequivocally state that I was right about LaMont Jordan though... he's no longer a Bronco so that shouldn't be "controversial"...
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:25 PM   #11
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by *WARHORSE* View Post
Islam
We should just say all fundamentalist monotheistic religions.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:27 PM   #12
extralife
Ring of Famer

funny, considering the term cult originates from polytheistic religions
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:30 PM   #13
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
What nobody here understands is that the reason that Pez and Hotrod have been scarce lately is that when they hug eachother tight, their famulous powers activate in the form of Peyton Hillis. We had something real special, and Josh ruined it all.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:35 PM   #14
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
funny, considering the term cult originates from polytheistic religions
Include them, too. EDIT - just take the whole concept of communitarian theism and classify them as types of cults.

Hillis is more of a cult than anything one here.

Apple just makes better computers than PC. Wouldn't really call that a cult. Unless you're wearing Apple t-shirts and going to Apple conventions, and there are people who do that.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:00 AM   #15
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

The Iconoclasts-- the haters, seem to be much more the cultists than the follower ever were.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:39 AM   #16
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySmurf View Post
Apple just makes better computers than PC. Wouldn't really call that a cult.
Apple clearly operates on selling a particular image that people crave to be identified with. This is where they make their profit. The sleek design, and the image that is entwined with the little logo on their products accounts for a significant mark up. I agree that Macs are better computers for the vast majority of the public, but that has been the case for a long time. It wasn't until Jobbs came back and tied the product to the design of the imac, and then later associated it with his mp3 player that anyone paid attention. The computers themselves clearly are not worth their tremendous price, but the expense is part of the appeal. Apple could sell macs a lot cheaper than they do, but it is vital to their strategy that the computers, which account for a small percentage of their sales, project an air of cultured affluence rather than simple functionality.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:40 AM   #17
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
/end thread.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:40 AM   #18
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2Win View Post
The Iconoclasts-- the haters, seem to be much more the cultists than the follower ever were.
please don't ever, ever, under any circumstances associate consumerism of any type with iconoclasm. what a farce.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:47 AM   #19
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

mac vs PC is so played out it's not even funny. Both use the same intel processors (but with PC's you can choose AMD). The Leopard OS did do better in benchmarking then Vista but with Windows 7, it's about the same now. It really just boils down to which interface do you prefer, that's about it. All the stock apps function just about the same, just a few different looks really.

The one thing PC does have going for it that mac doesn't have, is that you can build your own custom PC with parts purchased. You can't do that with a mac, you have to have Apple build the custom mac for you, which costs more. Building your own PC (if you know how) with the best available parts will cost you much less then the same mac.

That's really about it.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:57 AM   #20
extralife
Ring of Famer

yes, but the closed architecture is beneficial to the average consumer, price excluded. less software conflicts, less need to independently update things, less room for infection. it's like a video game console or a DVD player. put something in, click a button, have at it. the modularity, open design and price difference of the PC is much preferable for heavy, diverse or informed computer users, but that doesn't describe much of the populace. the price difference makes things thorny. I'd recommend macs to a great deal of people, but when I can build a PC for you for $500 versus the $2.5k Apple is asking, well, that tends to drown out the rest.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:20 AM   #21
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
yes, but the closed architecture is beneficial to the average consumer, price excluded. less software conflicts, less need to independently update things, less room for infection. it's like a video game console or a DVD player. put something in, click a button, have at it. the modularity, open design and price difference of the PC is much preferable for heavy, diverse or informed computer users, but that doesn't describe much of the populace. the price difference makes things thorny. I'd recommend macs to a great deal of people, but when I can build a PC for you for $500 versus the $2.5k Apple is asking, well, that tends to drown out the rest.
Well it's not that macs do a better job of protecting themselves from threats like trojans, viruses, etc. The internal OS protection via Firewall or Antivirus is about the same. Even then, most people prefer to use custom software such as Macafee or Norton (which I hate both). There are just more bugs out there written for the PC's because they have a much larger market. The losers out there that create the bugs want to do as much damage as they can so clearly they more often choose the PC's as their targets. So yes, PC's are more risky in that regard, that there are many many more people creating attacks for the PC then there are for macs.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:41 AM   #22
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Hmmmm definitely scientology. The whole thing is just rigged.

I definitely at people who smugly insist that their apples are much better than PC's...when they're totally non-computer-hip peoplez.
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:07 AM   #23
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABronco View Post
Hmmmm definitely scientology. The whole thing is just rigged.

I definitely at people who smugly insist that their apples are much better than PC's...when they're totally non-computer-hip peoplez.
I know. I personally don't care which somebody uses but one time at a job I had, this younger gal brought in her mac to work on during her lunch break (since you're not allowed to use company PC's for personal stuff). I simply just said to her "ah, a mac huh". She replied "oh yeah, way better then PC's". I said "oh yeah, why is that (playing dumb, as if I knew nothing about computers)". She replied "they just are, I can play my songs better". Or good lord, I didn't even continue the converstaion and just walked away.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:53 AM   #24
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Its pretty simple, whatever you grew up using, or are more accustomed to, is going to be more intuitive for you. The machines, and their operating systems are not that much different anymore. It comes down to which one feels right to you. Which one helps get what you want to do the fastest and most efficiently. Which one are you the most effective on, and which ones do you have the most fun with.

Who knows the iPhone/touch/iPad might turn into a bona fide development platform. Meaning that major software companies and their application might start to developed for the iPad sometime down the road. Photoshop, Office, Dreamweaver, etc. Though scaled down versions, and heavily reliant on "The Cloud", it could be interesting.

In five years or so, Adobe might be developing three versions of Photoshop: PS for the PC, PS for the Mac, and PS for the iPad.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #25
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
mac vs PC is so played out it's not even funny. Both use the same intel processors (but with PC's you can choose AMD). The Leopard OS did do better in benchmarking then Vista but with Windows 7, it's about the same now. It really just boils down to which interface do you prefer, that's about it. All the stock apps function just about the same, just a few different looks really.

The one thing PC does have going for it that mac doesn't have, is that you can build your own custom PC with parts purchased. You can't do that with a mac, you have to have Apple build the custom mac for you, which costs more. Building your own PC (if you know how) with the best available parts will cost you much less then the same mac.

That's really about it.
It's not really that simple. OS X, with it's Unix core, has a far better security model than windows 7. It's a machine I'm much more comfortable with my parents (for instance) using as it's far more difficult for them to get into serious trouble with it.

I prefer the Mac for it's command line, although my personal machines are all Ubuntu. Best of both worlds, a solid OS built with commodity hardware.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote