The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Bears need Marshall

Bears trade for Brandon Marshall.

Mike Florio

Friday, Apr. 2, 2010 - 10:55 a.m. ET

2. Bears trade for Brandon Marshall.

Last year, the Bears sent two first-round picks (and more) to the Broncos for quarterback Jay Cutler. To date, the move has been a failure -- and it has left coach Lovie Smith and GM Jerry Angelo on wafer-thin ice.

The situation has created sufficient desperation to prompt the Bears to overpay for a trio for day one free agents – Julius Peppers, Chester Taylor and Brandon Manumaleuna -- which in the short term has removed the sense of gloom and doom that had taken over Halas Hall.

So with the Broncos looking to unload receiver Brandon Marshall, why don't the Bears try to get him? Sure, the Broncos want a first-round draft pick and the Bears already sent theirs to Denver in the Cutler deal. The Bears should instead dangle their 2011 first-rounder, and possibly throw in a conditional selection based on Marshall's performance in the coming season.

If the Marshall plan fails, Angelo and Smith likely won't be there to not use the first-round pick in 2011 anyway. If it works, Angelo and Smith would gladly give up the pick for the ensuing job security.

Though the Broncos may not want to enable a Cutler-Marshall reunion, they may not have many/any other options for unloading a guy they clearly don't want.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/arti...fore-nfl-draft
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

no.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
Bears trade for Brandon Marshall.

Mike Florio

Friday, Apr. 2, 2010 - 10:55 a.m. ET

2. Bears trade for Brandon Marshall.

Last year, the Bears sent two first-round picks (and more) to the Broncos for quarterback Jay Cutler. To date, the move has been a failure -- and it has left coach Lovie Smith and GM Jerry Angelo on wafer-thin ice.

The situation has created sufficient desperation to prompt the Bears to overpay for a trio for day one free agents – Julius Peppers, Chester Taylor and Brandon Manumaleuna -- which in the short term has removed the sense of gloom and doom that had taken over Halas Hall.

So with the Broncos looking to unload receiver Brandon Marshall, why don't the Bears try to get him? Sure, the Broncos want a first-round draft pick and the Bears already sent theirs to Denver in the Cutler deal. The Bears should instead dangle their 2011 first-rounder, and possibly throw in a conditional selection based on Marshall's performance in the coming season.

If the Marshall plan fails, Angelo and Smith likely won't be there to not use the first-round pick in 2011 anyway. If it works, Angelo and Smith would gladly give up the pick for the ensuing job security.

Though the Broncos may not want to enable a Cutler-Marshall reunion, they may not have many/any other options for unloading a guy they clearly don't want.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/arti...fore-nfl-draft
Oh my God.

The way the Bears are mortgaging their future, they will soon be in line for a US Government bail out.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
Swedish Extrovert
President of the Universe

Formerly known as mightysmurf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

It's April second. April fools doesn't count anymore.
Swedish Extrovert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

They have nothing to trade, it would cost them almost their entire 2011 draft to get him and they really don't have players of interest to spare.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #6
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

BEars don't have the ammo. Sorry
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
TotallyScrewed
Ring of Famer

Let's face it, if the (Da) Bears, give up two first rounders for Cutler, by comparison they should have to give up at least a first and a second rounder for Marshall.

Neither team can afford it. Denver can't afford to look so bad as the media will attempt to make it appear and Chicago can't afford to mortgage so much but personally, I'd love to see it (if the Broncos are going to dump him or play "who's the biggest b****" with him all next year) just to see this board go into complete meltdown on every attempt, completion and score...regardless of the outcome.

Bring it on!!
TotallyScrewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
I love how everyone seems to think that the phrase "conditional draft pick" is somehow a panacea that immediately bridges the gap in value in any trade.

So what exactly would that pick be and what could it become Florio, or are you unable to think that far ahead?

Bears would have to give up immediate value if they expect Denver to accept their '11 1st, and they don't have the picks this year a young player to give up that would do that.
Hercules Rockefeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:18 PM   #9
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Even if they throw in some Chicago hotdogs and Chicago style deep dish pizza, no way this happens.
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #10
broncos-rock
Ring of Famer

I hate this florio crap.....he's an idiot lawyer making sh*t up. Cutler didn't like Marshall act when he was here.
broncos-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #11
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Does Florio get paid for his stupidity? Here's the deal: The Broncos keep Marshall or some team offers them immediate and lucrative compensation right now. This season. In this draft. The Bears can't even come to the table. They've got nothing.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #12
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

I'd be open for a pick in 2011 I'd like picks to be in 2010 and 2011. I'm not sold on this regimes drafting ability yet so the more picks spread out over time the better until this staff proves they do a solid job. The Bears have no ammo to trade.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #13
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

First off, this will never happen, if the broncos got nothing this year for Marshall, it would be a travesty. Secondly, I doubt the broncos ever ship Marshall to the bears for PR reasons. If they succeeded, the broncos would look terrible, why even invite that possibility? If the broncos aren't blown away with an offer, keep him. He's a top five receiver and if someone wants him, they should pay accordingly. I don't care about his past.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #14
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

Cutler sucks
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:03 PM   #15
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

I say trade Marshall for Cutler
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:09 PM   #16
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
First off, this will never happen, if the broncos got nothing this year for Marshall, it would be a travesty. Secondly, I doubt the broncos ever ship Marshall to the bears for PR reasons. If they succeeded, the broncos would look terrible, why even invite that possibility? If the broncos aren't blown away with an offer, keep him. He's a top five receiver and if someone wants him, they should pay accordingly. I don't care about his past.
I agree with you 100% about Marshall. I just don't think FO thinks the same way top 10 wr or not. I don't think the return will be that much either they want to rid themselves of a headache period.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:25 PM   #17
RonDaChamp24
Twitter.com/RonGreco

The Champ is here

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D. Thomas

Bears don't need Marshall. Broncos need Marshall.
RonDaChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #18
Drek
Ring of Famer

You could make it work, if the Bears are willing to get raped like they got raped on the Cutler deal.

Say something like....

Olin Kreutz
2010 3rd round pick
2011 1st round pick
2011 conditional pick (based on Marshall's performance and the 1st round pick, if the 2011 pick is in the bottom half of the first and/or Marshall makes the Pro Bowl its a 2nd, if neither happens its a 3rd).
Earl Bennett or Juaquin Iglesias

I'd do that deal.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #19
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
[The Bears should instead dangle their 2011 first-rounder, and possibly throw in a conditional selection based on Marshall's performance in the coming season.
For this to happen I think the Bears would need to dangle their 2001 first-rounder, and throw in Cutler.
Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:07 PM   #20
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Wow, that's poor trolling by Floria. She's almost as bad as Josina (it's in English at least).

Absolutely no thought put into it. If there is a lockout next year, the Broncos would have a 2012 first round pick for a player given up today? Heck no.

In order, the Broncos will take:
1. A significant player who can upgrade the position on our team
2. A first round pick this year
3. A lesser player/pick combo

If none of those happen, Brandon will be wearing Orange & Blue for 2010. And then Floria can go make up all the stuff she wants to for a full year.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #21
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

What I love is that articles like this are written under the premise that we have to deal him. We don't.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:03 PM   #22
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
You could make it work, if the Bears are willing to get raped like they got raped on the Cutler deal.

Say something like....

Olin Kreutz
2010 3rd round pick
2011 1st round pick
2011 conditional pick (based on Marshall's performance and the 1st round pick, if the 2011 pick is in the bottom half of the first and/or Marshall makes the Pro Bowl its a 2nd, if neither happens its a 3rd).
Earl Bennett or Juaquin Iglesias

I'd do that deal.
Olin Kreutz sucks on a bad line, he is at the end of his career. It would be like Weigman all over again but worse.

If duh Bears have the ammo to pull of a trade something is wrong and we should check our asses to see if we have been violated.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #23
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondachamp24 View Post
bears don't need marshall. Broncos need marshall.
+1
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #24
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Send him.

2 1st round picks and their back-up QB....

Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #25
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I dunno. I might seriously consider trading Bmarsh for next year's first. Sure, the Broncos can force Bmarsh to stay and yah, I'm thinking he'll be forced to have a good season, but honestly, why not just let him go. Does everyone really want to deal with Bmarsh for another year? I don't. Of course, I'm not the Broncos GM, however, if I was I'd consider the trade.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote