The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2010, 04:41 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Woody's Mailbag: Are the Broncos constructed for Super Bowls?

Woody's Mailbag: Are the Broncos constructed for Super Bowls?

And Johnathan in Grand Junction wants everybody off Brandon Marshall's back
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post

01:00:00 AM MDT

Woody... How do you like McDaniel's ability to construct a football team? It seems he has a good grasp on how to build a team, despite what the critics say. How long do you think it will take for the Broncos to win another Super Bowl? How many players are they away from becoming Super Bowl caliber? --Francisco, Avondale, Arizona

Francisco: I guess I am one of those critics. A fabled executive in the league once told me that in order to have a Super Bowl winner, you need a Pro Bowl-caliber player at every position.

Of the 22 spots on offense and defense, the Broncos have, I would guess, four Pro Bowl-caliber players on offense (if you count Brandon Marshall, and who's counting?) and five on defense, so they're a bit short.

The four on offense, to give them the benefit of the doubt, big benefit, are: Ryan Clady, Eddie Royal, Knowshown Moreno and Marshall. Who else? You tell me. A couple of other offensive linemen are possibilities, but you can't say center, because the Broncos not only don't have a Pro Bowl contender, they don't even have a starting center. Maybe Maurkice Pouncey, if they draft him, could be in that role in the future.

On defense: Champ, Elvis, Brian Dawkins, D.J. Williams and Jamal Williams. Future contenders could be Jarvis Green, Justin Bannan and, I suppose, Robert Ayers, and the Broncos have quality safeties.

Oddly enough, when the NFL's all-decade team came out, three Broncos were on it. None of their own homegrown, though. Brian Dawkins, Champ Bailey and, yes, their newest player -- Jamal Williams. But all three are on the downsides of their careers and certainly won't be on this all-decade team.

I would think the Broncos will win another Super Bowl when and if they get a great quarterback. That's not their current starter. Maybe Quinn is the answer. Or maybe he's an answer like Allen Iverson was "The Answer." A.I. wasn't the answer in Denver. In the Broncos' defense, which should get them into the playoffs next season, although the schedule is tougher.
So, to be "The Answer" to your question, they are about a half-dozen players away - QB, receiver, center, tight end, defensive end, linebacker.

Woody, first off I am totally on board with the Broncos trading away Marshall because I don't like to see the T.O.-style cancerous players in our clubhouse. What I don't like is hearing the Broncos are leaning toward replacing him with another cancerous player in Dez Bryant. The guy needed a babysitter at Oklahoma State just to make it to practices and games. What in the world is going on? --Greg, Littleton

Greg: Just to be clear, the Broncos have never once mentioned that Dez Bryant is on their board anywhere. That's coming from mock drafters who don't know any more than you do, and people like me. But people like me won't mention him again. I'm off Bryant. I didn't like the way he handled his Pro Day, didn't even show up with cleats, and how he hasn't helped himself leading up to the draft, and ran a slow 40. And the more I read of his background, I agree with you. So they've got to find another wide receiver, or three, somewhere. I'll get back to you, but I'm not a Bryant or Brandon lover now.

Woody... In what world is Dez Bryant atop the draft board for the Broncos? In my simple opinion I see Dez as B. Marsh 2.0. Why would they want to swap one troubled WR for another? We need young defenders with high upside. If Rolando McClain is still on the board and the Broncos do not select him. I will be baffled. --Tim, Orange County, Calif.

Tim: See previous answer. I think McClain would be a great pickup, or, as I said earlier, Pouncey. I had the nose tackle from Tennessee, but they're full up for the present there now. A defensive end, a linebacker or an offensive lineman - see, none of us seem to like Dez.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14795880
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2010, 05:17 AM   #2
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

It's funny.

These posers are asking for cheese.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:20 AM   #3
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Woody is keeping his board CLEAR.

I can't wait for this ****up.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:17 AM   #4
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Yeah, cause Harris isn't a Pro Bowl Caliber player.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:19 AM   #5
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

I don't think we go after Dez, I think it's Shipley in the 2nd which I would be thrilled with

he is making a visit here I believe
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:29 AM   #6
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

How on earth is the schedule harder this year than last

Ahem we play the 49ers, Cardinals, Seahawks and Rams ffs, the easiest division in football and the only one in the league with not one decent QB between them.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:30 AM   #7
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRabb View Post
I don't think we go after Dez, I think it's Shipley in the 2nd which I would be thrilled with

he is making a visit here I believe
If any team takes Shipley that high they should forfeit all their picks. 4th-5th rd at best.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:44 AM   #8
CEH
Ring of Famer

Woody adds no value to this board. Maybe for the casual fan who doesn't follow the Broncos but for us who do I think his articles are always short on substance.

You don't need a Pro Bowler player at every position to go to the Super Bowl? I would say 5-6 Pro Bowlers would get you to the Super Bowler as long as one is the QB. Yes if you have Trent Dilfer you probably need a Pro Bowlers at every other position. But then again how many teams with an avergae QB get to the Super Bowl. No very many

Schedule harder? Only if OAK gets McNabb.

Full up at NT? Coming away from the draft with a younger top notch NT would be a top prioirity for us any year until we do or trade for one under 28
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:54 AM   #9
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
if any team takes shipley that high they should forfeit all their picks. 4th-5th rd at best.
+1!!!
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:00 AM   #10
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
If any team takes Shipley that high they should forfeit all their picks. 4th-5th rd at best.
I actually meant on the 2nd day...oops
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:00 AM   #11
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

They gave him the name "Woody" in honor of the contents of his skull. Anybody who thinks Jamal will play every snap in every game this year is dreaming. We still need a long term answer at NT. Bringing in a guy like Dan Williams right now would be perfect timing. He could platoon with Jamal and really learn the ropes from a pro bowler, while extending Jamal's time in the NFL. It's called "win-win." If a Marshall trade does go through, my hope is that the Broncos could trade down, get some more picks, and go after a guy like Benn, who in my estimation, will be a red zone scoring machine.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:10 AM   #12
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Woody is wrong again.
Tombstone RJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:55 AM   #13
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

You need a probowler at every position? Is this guy for real?
Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:32 PM   #14
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Did you guys read the article...or only the parts you wanted to hear? He said that an NFL executive once told him...that you needed a pro-bowl caliber player at every position.

Personally, I don't agree...but, every player better be solid in his role...or their weak link will eventually get exposed. I think you need alot of talent and strong leadership both on defense and behind center!
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #15
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title

Go fsck yourself San Diego.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Meanie View Post
You need a probowler at every position? Is this guy for real?
Yes, didn't you get the memo? Didn't you notice in the pro bowl this year that the NFC side was just the Saints?
Ambiguous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:43 PM   #16
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title

Go fsck yourself San Diego.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

And you ain't gonna win **** without a pro-bowl caliber long snapper.
Ambiguous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:25 PM   #17
DawnBTVS
Laugh This Off... Puddin'

Rookie Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

Woody's reasoning that the Broncos have enough guys at DT/DE meaning they don't take Dan Williams is in contrast with McD's approach it seems. McDaniels had several free agents come in for the Secondary, then went and drafted 3 more secondary players despite having "depth" there already.

I can see McDaniels adding Dan Williams just to have that depth and as teams in the NFL know, you can never have enough depth at a position. All it takes is a bad move in training camp or preseason and suddenly you've lost 2 guys at a position where you seemingly had enough depth. Now you don't have enough depth and need to sign a street guy.

My ideal draft would see McDaniels taking McClain in the 1st, a center (Tennant out of BC is my preference) in the 2nd, and maybe a big sized receiver like Freddie Barnes out of Bowling Green in the 3rd round.
DawnBTVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #18
Triplelefthook
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
They gave him the name "Woody" in honor of the contents of his skull. Anybody who thinks Jamal will play every snap in every game this year is dreaming. We still need a long term answer at NT. Bringing in a guy like Dan Williams right now would be perfect timing. He could platoon with Jamal and really learn the ropes from a pro bowler, while extending Jamal's time in the NFL. It's called "win-win." If a Marshall trade does go through, my hope is that the Broncos could trade down, get some more picks, and go after a guy like Benn, who in my estimation, will be a red zone scoring machine.
I seriously love this idea. Just like McBath, Barrett and Bruton and Da Phonz are learning from that veteran secondary brought in via FA... Dan Williams and maybe some other later round Dlinemen picks can learn from Jamal, Bannan and Green. Ron Fields was solid last year jsut think of him spelling Jamal for 20 or so snaps a game. I think guys like Fields, McBean, Thomas and Moss (haha kidding) will be able to thrive when put in as backup rotational players.

I love it, I hope we draft Dan Williams, then Tennant in the 2nd. Use the other 2nd we get for Marshall on a WR.... then build up the lines more, along with one ILB.

Last edited by Triplelefthook; 04-01-2010 at 04:54 PM..
Triplelefthook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #19
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Not a bad plan TFH I think you are on to something - Josh has a plan isn't it grand.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:01 PM   #20
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Trips Left might be on to something...
Tombstone RJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #21
crush17
"Born A Broncos Fan"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rick Upchurch

I seriously doubt we'll draft McClain at this point. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dan Williams or Maurkice Pouncey @ 11. Straight up.
crush17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #22
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRabb View Post
I actually meant on the 2nd day...oops
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote