The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Greatest Bronco plays of all time: #6 Morton To Moses

On my blog at http://sportsindenver.blogspot.com/

Continuing the countdown of my greatest bronco plays of all time:

January 1, 1978. It was a cold day in Denver (18 degrees) as the Broncos hosted the Oakland Raiders in the AFC Championship game. Oakland dominated the game early and took a 3-0 lead before this play changed the entire game:

To consider how big a play this was, go back to the atmosphere before that game. Yes the Broncos had an amazing season up until that point, a 12-2 season and a first round playoff win against the mighty Pittsburgh Steelers. But there was alot of doubt as to whether the Broncos could really beat the Raiders this day. For one Craig Morton was hurting - bad. With a painfully bruised leg there were questions whether Morton would even play. The Raiders had also beat the Broncos convincingly in their matchup in Denver earlier that season (Raiders 24 Broncos 14 in week 7)

This play turned the whole game around. It gave the Broncos confidence that Morton could play, and play well, despite his injury. Morton and Moses went on to have a huge game (Moses scored twice on 168 receiving yards)

For me personally this was the greatest sports event I have ever attended in Denver. I was there for all the AFC Championship home games, for the many John Elway comebacks, for Eric Young's opening day homer, for the Avs beating the Devils in Stanley Cup game 7. None topped this game. The excitement in the South Stands that day is something I will never forget.

This play, #6 on my list, was key in sending the Broncos to their first Super Bowl:

Next: before getting to my top 5 bronco plays of all time I'll show some great highlights that deserve honorable mention.
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

I think one of the greatest plays of all time in Broncos history is one that is perhaps not looked as such.
If anything, it should rank high on the list.
I'm talking a 3rd down conversion Elway to Shannon Sharpe in 1997 inside our own 20-yard line against the chiefs at Arrowhead.

Had we failed to convert that 3rd down, who knows if Elway would've retired or even made another run the following year.
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:44 PM   #3
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

So many big plays are possible because of some huge 3rd down conversion at some point in drive. We remember the long tds, sometimes forget the big conversions like Dragster talking about.

Let's face it though a highlight reel showing some 3rd down conversion where 4 plays later the big play for score happened would be sort of boring.

Here's to getting some new glory going on in Denver. 1998 seems like a long long time ago. I need some late season wins are I may have to start listening to my neighbors dog give me instruction on how to purge the world of Charger fans.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:05 AM   #4
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...0075776&ref=ts

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote