The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2010, 08:06 AM   #1
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith
Default PFW Mock by Nolan Nawrocki

http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...est-mock-draft

Needs are not likely to change as much from now until draft time with greater restrictions in free agency, and the strength in future free-agent classes created by the extension of restricted free agency could make teams more likely to deal future draft picks this year, knowing they will be enticed to buy more proven talent in subsequent years. The free-agency phenomenon, combined with extending the draft to three days, could potentially produce a record number of trades. The mock draft that follows does not factor any trading, however, and reflects needs as of presstime on March 28.

Editor's note: Underclassmen are denoted by an asterisk (*)

FIRST ROUND

1. St. Louis Rams
QB Sam Bradford* — Oklahoma

The premium on the QB position makes ­Bradford the most valuable player in the draft from a trade standpoint. With so many holes on the roster, the Rams could benefit from trading down and acquiring more picks, but the greatest chance of executing a trade will come by selecting Bradford, who, if no trade is made, fills the Rams' greatest need.

2. Detroit Lions
OLT Russell Okung — Oklahoma State

Jeff Backus is 32 years old with 32½-inch arms, the shortest of any left tackle in the league, and he struggled to keep prized QB Matthew Stafford healthy in his first season at the helm. Lions' brass has made an effort to draft more securely and, although Okung is not the most athletic offensive tackle, he is a very safe pick.

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
DT Gerald McCoy* — Oklahoma

The Buccaneers could be sitting in an enviable position with a huge need at defensive tackle and their choice of the draft's best defender. The ability to consistently rush the passer should play into McCoy's favor.

4. Washington Redskins
DT Ndamukong Suh — Nebraska

The key position in a "30" front is nose tackle, and the Redskins are counting on 31-year-old Ma'ake Kemoeatu, who is coming off an injury, to hold down the middle. Greater needs exist at the QB and OLT positions, but Mike ­Shanahan has shown he can make his quick-hitting offense function with average quarterbacks (Jake Plummer, Brian Griese) and free- agent left tackles (Matt Lepsis). Daniel Snyder aggressively tried to acquire Jay Cutler and trade into position for Mark Sanchez last year and would like nothing more than to acquire a franchise quarterback, but if the Redskins cannot move into position to land Bradford, they could find Suh too talented to pass up and welcome a centerpiece to their defense.

5. Kansas City Chiefs
FS Eric Berry* — Tennessee

It's difficult to justify spending top-five money on the safety position, but with more teams airing out the ball and picking apart secondaries, a new premium has been placed on defending the back half, where the Chiefs are sorely undermanned.

6. Seattle Seahawks
OLT Trent Williams — Oklahoma

After relying on Walter Jones for so many years, the Seahawks need to find a replacement, and no one is better-suited for Alex Gibbs' zone-blocking scheme than Williams.

7. Cleveland Browns
WR Dez Bryant* — Oklahoma State

After shipping off Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow, Derek Anderson struggled to function. If Mike Holmgren expects to get a return on the investment he made in Jake ­Delhomme, he will need at least one playmaker on offense. Bryant has the hands, body control and leaping ability to make an average quarterback look good.

8. Oakland Raiders
OLT Bruce Campbell* — Maryland

There is no tape to support Campbell being drafted anywhere near this early, but Al Davis has not relied on football-playing evaluations for a long time. Instead, he drafts on numbers and perceived upside, and a physical marvel like Campbell could be too much for Davis to pass up.

9. Buffalo Bills
RB C.J. Spiller — Clemson

The Bills are legitimate contenders in the market for Donovan McNabb, and he could provide a missing piece of the puzzle, but whether or not the Bills are able to upgrade the QB position, they could still sorely use a catalyst in the mold of Brian Westbrook to take over games, and Spiller has the ability to electrify.

10. Jacksonville Jaguars
QB Jimmy Clausen* — Notre Dame

The Tim Tebow show is expected to come to Jacksonville, and it still may be a possibility — only if he is available in the second round and the Jaguars cannot address the position sooner. David Garrard has not been able to get the Jaguars over the hump, and a new offensive leader is needed.

11. Denver Broncos (From Chicago)
OG-OT Bryan Bulaga* — Iowa

The Broncos are as sound on the edges as any team could be, with Ryan Clady and Ryan Harris very capably manning the corners, but if they want to pound the ball, they need a more physical temperament on the inside, and Bulaga could add it to their ground game from Day One.

12. Miami Dolphins
FS Taylor Mays — USC

Earl Thomas is a more instinctive, ballhawking defender and more worthy of being the second safety off the board. However, Bill Parcells is too enticed by size and will be thinking he can mold Mays, an immature physical specimen, into a player.

13. San Francisco 49ers
ILB Rolando McClain* — Alabama

Pairing McClain with Patrick Willis at inside 'backer could give the Niners a dominant duo to defend the middle. Quintessential pro Takeo Spikes is entering his 13th season and soon will need to be replaced.

14. Seattle Seahawks (From Denver)
DE Derrick Morgan* — Georgia Tech

Dealing Darryl Tapp to the Eagles only increases the Seahawks' need for an end, even if they received Chris Clemons in exchange. Patrick Kerney is 33, has lost a step and has not been able to stay healthy, and Morgan can ably step in to replace him.

15. New York Giants
TE Jermaine Gresham* — Oklahoma

Kevin Boss has limitations, and Travis Beckum was a disappointment as a rookie. The Giants could open up their offense considerably if they were able to stretch the seam more consistently, as Gresham is very capable of doing.

16. Tennessee Titans
DE Sergio Kindle — Texas

Owner Bud Adams still makes his residence in Houston and has an affinity for Texas-grown talent, with four starters (Vince Young, Michael Griffin, Bo Scaife, Ahmard Hall) all hailing from Longhorn country. Kindle is best with his hand on the ground and could bring the edge burst the Titans are seeking to ramp up their pass rush.

17. San Francisco 49ers (from Carolina)
CB Joe Haden* — Florida

With Nate Clements struggling last season and the Niners lacking a true No. 1 corner, Haden would fill a strong area of need and give coordinator Greg Manusky the chance to be more creative with pressure packages.

18. Pittsburgh Steelers
OG Mike Iupati — Idaho

Chris Kemoeatu turned out to be a very solid find for the Steelers in the sixth round, possessing the power desired to clear holes in the running game. Iupati could be paired with ­Kemoeatu to establish the physical running game Mike Tomlin is seeking to re-establish after taking to the air much more often last season, and Iupati's versatility is a big plus on a line with a number of holes.

19. Atlanta Falcons
DE Brandon Graham — Michigan

The Falcons did not get enough from their pass rush last season, with rookie DT Peria Jerry being shelved because of injury and DE Jamaal Anderson struggling to produce a sack per season in his three years as a starter since Rich McKay and Bobby Petrino made him the eighth overall selection. Graham has enough strength to stack the run and much better foot energy to rush the passer and would upgrade the Falcons' rush.

20. Houston Texans
FS Earl Thomas* — Texas

Bernard Pollard turned out to be a bargain pickup for the Texans, but Eugene Wilson's inability to stay healthy remains an issue, and he may have more value at cornerback, where the Texans are now short after letting Dunta Robinson enter free agency. Thomas is also instinctive and athletic enough to help at corner or safety and could contribute immediately.

21. Cincinnati Bengals
DRE-OLB Everson Griffen* — USC

The Bengals have a Trojan look, with Keith Rivers and Rey Maualuga manning the middle and Frostee Rucker coming off the bench. Antwan Odom is coming off a serious season-ending Achilles injury and may need to be upgraded. Griffen also gives the Bengals more flexibility to transition to "30" looks — something Mike Zimmer dabbled with a year ago.

22. New England Patriots
DE Jared Odrick — Penn State

Trading Richard Seymour to Oakland and letting Jarvis Green go to Denver in free agency created a void at right defensive end, where Odrick would ideally fit in the Patriots' "30" look. His versatility would be attractive to a defensive mastermind.

23. Green Bay Packers
OT Anthony Davis* — Rutgers

Mike McCarthy was able to adapt the offense last season and allow Aaron Rodgers to get rid of the ball more quickly, but a strong need still remains for edge help, with Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher both on the wrong side of 30 and showing signs of wearing down. GM Ted Thompson has shown he will take some chances on players with character flaws.

24. Philadelphia Eagles
WLB Sean Weatherspoon — Missouri

The Eagles were plagued by injuries at the LB position and are in need of more depth at the position, as they wore down defensively late in 2009. Weatherspoon brings the versatility to play multiple positions and the range highly desired in Sean McDermott's defense.

25. Baltimore Ravens
NT Dan Williams — Tennessee

With Kelly Gregg aging and the Ravens losing Justin Bannan to the Broncos in free agency, Greg Mattison could use more help in his defensive line rotation. Williams is ideally suited for the Ravens' movement front and could be too difficult to pass up despite more pressing concerns at cornerback.

26. Arizona Cardinals
WR Demaryius Thomas* — Georgia Tech

After shipping off Anquan Boldin to Baltimore and losing Kurt Warner to retirement, the ­Cardinals could use another physical, run-after-the-catch receiver to alleviate pressure on Matt Leinart or Derek Anderson.

27. Dallas Cowboys
CB Patrick Robinson — Florida State

With one of the deepest rosters in football, Jerry Jones can afford to draft the best available player as opposed to filling a need and could go any number of ways, but Robinson has the size and man-cover skills Wade Phillips desires.

28. San Diego Chargers
CB Devin McCourty — Rutgers

Despite a glaring need for a bell-cow back, where Fresno State's Ryan Mathews could look appealing, the Chargers have a considerable need to fill at cornerback after dealing Antonio Cromartie to the Jets, and ­McCourty's toughness and special-teams ability should be attractive to A.J. Smith.

29. New York Jets
OT Vladimir Ducasse — Massachusetts

The Jets have one of the best offensive lines in football, but ORT Damien Woody and OLG Alan Faneca are not getting any younger, and Ducasse could greatly benefit from being groomed in their presence.

30. Minnesota Vikings
CB Kyle Wilson — Boise State

Cedric Griffin and Antoine Winfield are both coming off injury-riddled seasons, and Wilson fits a similar mold as a feisty, physical competitor and could help in nickel situations.

31. Indianapolis Colts
C Maurkice Pouncey* — Florida

Jeff Saturday is not getting any younger, and the Colts need to get bigger in the trenches if they want to run the ball with more success. Pouncey has the girth to match big-on-big and handle the space eaters who are becoming more common in AFC fronts.

32. New Orleans Saints
DE Jason Pierre-Paul* — South Florida

The Saints need to replace the pass rush they lost after cutting Charles Grant and could be very tempted by the raw physical tools of Pierre-Paul if he happens to slide to the Super Bowl champs, as he potentially could.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Bulaga? Interesting.... and weird enough that it may actually work. Bulaga can fill a need at guard and then step in at right tackle when (not if) Harris gets injured. Better value at #11 then Iupati or Pouncey, as well, since he can kick out to tackle after a year or two.
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:14 AM   #3
Harvitz81
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Bulaga would be a great pick, but I don't think he gets to us. I see him as a sure-fire top ten pick.
Harvitz81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
ColoradoBuff
Ring of Famer

In Manning We Trust......

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

i'd be ok with Bulaga @ 11
ColoradoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:47 AM   #5
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

I've been saying Trent Williams at #11 but most mock drafts having him going in front of us now... Bulaga would be the perfect convert from Tackle to Guard. His shorter arms will scare teams off from using him as a LT, but as a RT he would be fine and same at OG. I would love the pick.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:01 AM   #6
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Bulaga would be a great pick, I don't think he will ever make it at LT because of his midget like arms, but on the inside where arm length doesn't matter quite as much he could be a beast.

I don't get the Buffalo pick at all, why would a team that has Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch draft a RB, it makes no sense to me - especially with how bad their OL is, they should be jumping all over Bulaga.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:21 AM   #7
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

What's not to like about Bulaga? He would instantly improve the running game. He's more seasoned than Iupati. I would have no complaints with that pick.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:23 AM   #8
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I like it a lot; if either Bulaga or Trent Williams are there at 11, I think it could be the right move to get them. (Although I'm still really undecided between Bulaga, T.Williams, D.Williams, or Dez Bryant @ 11).

If both Bulaga and Trent Williams are there at 11, who would you prefer?
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:28 AM   #9
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Also, off topic, but I don't think I understand Shanny's obsession to convert the Redskins to a 3-4 defense. The 4-3 is still a highly viable defense, even in the modern pass happy league (Giants in 2006-07). They're like 1 or 2 players away from being really good as a 4-3 in terms of personnel. The move to the 3-4 seems ridiculous, especially for a coach who isn't that married to that system. I know that Shanny's last year walking the earth in search of a greater kung fu has something to do with it, but just seems forced when you have the best UT in the league on your roster.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:35 AM   #10
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0phr0syne View Post
I like it a lot; if either Bulaga or Trent Williams are there at 11, I think it could be the right move to get them. (Although I'm still really undecided between Bulaga, T.Williams, D.Williams, or Dez Bryant @ 11).

If both Bulaga and Trent Williams are there at 11, who would you prefer?
Great question -- but why limit it to those two? The way I see it, there are five potential offensive linemen who we could/would pick at #11. In order, and with comments, they are:

Russell Okung -- a no-brainer, but no way in hell he'll fall that far.
Bryan Bulaga -- 30% chance of being there at #11. I'd take him over Dez Bryant, but not over Rolando McClain
Trent Williams -- 50% chance of being there. Also an intriguing pick, and I'd be fine with it.
Anthony Davis -- 60% chance of being there. Not a fan, though. Meh.
Mike Iupati -- 99% chance of being there. Right player, wrong slot. Poor valuation of a draft pick if we take him here.

On the outside, looking in -- Maurkice Pouncy, Center. He'll be snapped up in the 20-32 range, probably. We'll need to trade down from #11 or up from the 2nd round to get him, though. If we pick him at #11, I'll break another remote on draft day (a la the Jarvis "Kate" Moss pick)
Old 03-29-2010, 09:42 AM   #11
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

[QUOTE=s0phr0syne;2789648]....I know that Shanny's last year walking the earth in search of a greater kung fu has something to do with it.....QUOTE]

"To win the prize, you must let go of the 4-3 defense, little Shanarat."
Old 03-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #12
broncos-rock
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatFan View Post
Great question -- but why limit it to those two? The way I see it, there are five potential offensive linemen who we could/would pick at #11. In order, and with comments, they are:

Bryan Bulaga -- 30% chance of being there at #11. I'd take him over Dez Bryant, but not over Rolando McClain
Trent Williams -- 50% chance of being there. Also an intriguing pick, and I'd be fine with it.
Mike Iupati -- 99% chance of being there. Right player, wrong slot. Poor valuation of a draft pick if we take him here.

On the outside, looking in -- Maurkice Pouncy, Center. He'll be snapped up in the 20-32 range, probably. We'll need to trade down from #11 or up from the 2nd round to get him, though. If we pick him at #11, I'll break another remote on draft day (a la the Jarvis "Kate" Moss pick)
Do you see Okung dropping out of the top 5? Love your takes btw!
broncos-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:12 AM   #13
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncos-rock View Post
Do you see Okung dropping out of the top 5? Love your takes btw!
There is no way Okung falls out of the top 5, the Skins and Chiefs would both jump on him in my view.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:18 AM   #14
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

This would be awesome.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #15
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatFan View Post

Great players, all of them. But for Denver's purposes, I limited it to Trent Williams and Bulaga because those are the two 1st round OLs that have demonstrated the versatility to play OT or OG. If Denver does go OL at 11, I think it's got to be someone who has that versatility.

I think Harris is a great player and I don't even consider him "injury prone" (yet). However, he was drafted to play LT and that to me is still his most natural position. He's just not that nasty mauling RT that we could use, and I don't consider him a candidate to move inside for much the same reason. By bringing in a OG/OT from this draft class, Denver would gain a potential starter for this year (if they can beat out Olsen) and really bolster the depth at OT. Would give the Broncos flexibility for the future as well
Old 03-29-2010, 01:01 PM   #16
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

If we stay at #11, Bulaga is definitely my preferred pick.

It's worth mentioning that after last year's draft, Nawrocki's mock was most accurate out of all the usual draft gurus.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #17
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

I think he is gone to the Chiefs at 5 but that would be sweet if we could get him at 11.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #18
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
If we stay at #11, Bulaga is definitely my preferred pick.

It's worth mentioning that after last year's draft, Nawrocki's mock was most accurate out of all the usual draft gurus.
Yes, but that mock was the one he released the morning of the draft, not the one 3 weeks out. He has cultivated some very good sources in the league and that mock showed how good they were. Plus his top 100 list was one of the best in several years IIRC. He has become a much better analyst the last 3 years compared to anyone else out there over the same time frame.

As for Bulaga, I reallyb like him and think he could be a real solid pick for DEN there as he is a better immediate impact player than either Pouncey or Iupati will be IMHO. Also, he has the requisite ability to play 4 OL positions and be an immediate contributor as an OG and therefore inflating his overall value.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:22 PM   #19
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Only concerns with him are his past medical issues that would make me hesitant to draft him, but he is an incredible player and definitely a great value at #11. I think he could go in the top 10 easily.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:01 PM   #20
mattob14
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I don't have any problems with Bulaga at 11, but the bottom of the 1st is stacked. If the draft plays out like that, I'd love to trade down (or up) to grab one or two of Odrick, Weatherspoon, Williams, Thomas, and Pouncey.
mattob14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #21
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

bulaga is huge, and an awesome person. definitely gets a thumbs up from me.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:37 PM   #22
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Solid pick. If we can not move down it makes sense to draft the BPA. At guard I like him better then at tackle, were I think he going to struggle with speed rushers in the NFL.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:30 PM   #23
ayjackson
Pro Bowler

Not so new to the forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I can't get behind picking a guard in the top 20 picks of a draft. Beadles would likely be as good in the third round.

Only Crazy Al would pick a guard this high in the draft.....and even then only because he thinks he's picking a left tackle.

It's nice that Bulaga can play RT, but we don't need a RT....certainly not at 11.

This is crazy **** and I can't believe the supporters for it when we have pressing needs to address.
ayjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:42 PM   #24
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

as i've said before, Spiller is the guy i covet, but i don't see how anyone could dislike getting Bulaga at #11...

that would be a great pick...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:57 AM   #25
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If Bulaga is there at #11, then I do think the Broncos should take him. He can easily fall into the LG spot and in the future, could go to RT if needed there. The Broncos do want to get bigger and tougher inside and this would solve that problem for sure.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: