The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default dont piss off urban meyer

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...-outburst.html

good to see a coach take on the media for trying to sensationalize everything
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

"If that was my son, we'd be going at it right now." OK, toughguy. If I was a personal injury attorney my wildest wet dream would be a physical assault on the property of a major university, at the hands of a multi-millionaire employee of said university, captured on video. What an asstard.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

He's a ticking time bomb, this is the guy that's been in the hospital multiple times since the end of the regular season for chest pains and stress.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
meangene
Ring of Famer

Meyer apparently does need that break from coaching - he really seems like he is about to pop or have a heart attack. The guy accurately reported what the kid said and it was not meant as a slight to Tebow. It was recorded on video word for word. Meyers needs to stop hanging on Tebow's jock long enough to gain some perspective. He really is becoming a first-class douche bag.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Nothing wrong with what the reporter did, nothing wrong with the quote the kid gave. Hey Urban, sorry, but your love affair with Tebow hasn't carried over to the NFL, he's been exposed and not by the kid giving the quote. Meyer holds a special place with me, but that was stupid.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:35 AM   #6
hookemhess
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Blake Gideon

I agree with what the article says... Coach is just doing what any good leader would do, defending his kids.
hookemhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:36 AM   #7
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Urban's man crush on his boy is out of hand. That reporter did nothing wrong and Meyers was off base big time.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post

Didn't click the nfp link, but have you even seen what went on to "provoke" meyer?

Here's the original article: http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/spo...tebow-era.html

Here's the original video of the interview with the kid:
http://foxsportsflorida.com/pages/vi...kAYiozX0VhFDEx

And then there's the video of Urban Meyer's tantrum that everyone's already seen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgqQs...layer_embedded

If after sorting through all of that, you think that Meyer did the so-called "right thing," you're retarded.
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:52 AM   #9
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

The reporter did nothing wrong -- Meyer is completely off base here. I used to have a lot of respect for Meyer, but lost quite a bit after watching that video. Just another bully turned football coach....
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:03 AM   #10
Cool Breeze
Ring of Famer

Broncos Rock!

Urban off base
His communication skills suck
Media will dig for more - and we'll all read it.
Sensational!
Cool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:03 AM   #11
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0phr0syne View Post
Didn't click the nfp link, but have you even seen what went on to "provoke" meyer?

Here's the original article: http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/spo...tebow-era.html

Here's the original video of the interview with the kid:
http://foxsportsflorida.com/pages/vi...kAYiozX0VhFDEx

And then there's the video of Urban Meyer's tantrum that everyone's already seen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgqQs...layer_embedded

If after sorting through all of that, you think that Meyer did the so-called "right thing," you're retarded.

im very aware what they are talking about. if you are a football coach, and a reporter coaxes or publishes a quote that can HURT your team, especially taking a quote like that and putting it in a context that teh team was against tebow, you would do the exact same thing as meyer
Old 03-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #12
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Urban Meyer looked like a complete douchebag in my opinion.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #13
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

I understand college coaches wanting to stick up for their players against the media sometimes; they are really just kids, and the media does go far sometimes.

Too often, though, coaches go to far the other way, ignoring the fact that 1) the media is just doing its job and 2) media coverage of their sport is the reason his program is the reason he gets paid millions to coach.

This didn't seem like anymore than a writer using a direct quote that Meyer just happened to not like. Tough ****. Grow up and start treating other people professionally. Just because as coach he has the power, doesn't mean he should treat other people doing other jobs unprofessionally. Have an adult discussion with him in private, the way 99% of people do at their jobs when they have a problem with someone else. Instead he decides to "lecture" an adult man like he's a child. Power trip.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:40 AM   #14
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
im very aware what they are talking about. if you are a football coach, and a reporter coaxes or publishes a quote that can HURT your team, especially taking a quote like that and putting it in a context that teh team was against tebow, you would do the exact same thing as meyer

The quote wasn't out of context, read the original article. It's very much in context, and it doesn't do anything to say the team was against Tebow, or any other such nonsense. It was a non-story about a highly recruited, yet disappointing receiver who was excited about the chance to work with the new ARM-oriented QB. That's all the quote was used to demonstrate.

Boo hoo, it might hurt TEBOW's draft status or something?? seriously. The quote shows excitement for the new team; at worst it might reflect poorly on Tebow, who NO LONGER is a student/player for Florida.

I'm sure the Denver scouts read that article, and then knocked Tebow down a few more spots on their draft board, because this young, intrepid receiver pointed out something that they didn't know before.
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:47 AM   #15
meangene
Ring of Famer

What I think Meyer is concerned about (other his "man-crush" on Tebow) is that there are legitimate questions being asked about whether he did all he should have to maximize Tebow's pro potential. No matter how you come down on that debate, it is a question potential recruits may begin to ask themselves. Particularly now that they see how Tebow has been knocked by pro scouts and how he is busting his ass to correct flaws that maybe should have been addressed while he was at Florida. This kids comments tend to indicate having a more pass-oriented quarterback might better utilize his talents as a WR which would add fuel to that fire.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:52 AM   #16
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Spinning that quote into a player being glad that Tebow is gone is classic media pot-stirring, and weak journalism.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:27 PM   #17
ohiobronco2
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangene View Post
What I think Meyer is concerned about (other his "man-crush" on Tebow) is that there are legitimate questions being asked about whether he did all he should have to maximize Tebow's pro potential. No matter how you come down on that debate, it is a question potential recruits may begin to ask themselves. Particularly now that they see how Tebow has been knocked by pro scouts and how he is busting his ass to correct flaws that maybe should have been addressed while he was at Florida. This kids comments tend to indicate having a more pass-oriented quarterback might better utilize his talents as a WR which would add fuel to that fire.

This is the exact reason he is so pissy. He has received some criticism for the development of Tebow and some believe that may hurt recruiting QB's. I doubt that would really hurt, but who knows? Either way, the reporter did nothing wrong. Urban is a liar (I"m not leaving Bowling Green and I'm not leaving Utah.) and is no different than the rest of the snake oil salesmen in the SEC. The reason that conference has been so dominant the last few years is their advantage in recruiting. If every school could sign that many kids every year they would be competitive too.
ohiobronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #18
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobronco2 View Post
This is the exact reason he is so pissy. He has received some criticism for the development of Tebow and some believe that may hurt recruiting QB's. I doubt that would really hurt, but who knows? Either way, the reporter did nothing wrong. Urban is a liar (I"m not leaving Bowling Green and I'm not leaving Utah.) and is no different than the rest of the snake oil salesmen in the SEC. The reason that conference has been so dominant the last few years is their advantage in recruiting. If every school could sign that many kids every year they would be competitive too.
college football on the whole is a scam. theres a reason that college basketball absolutely trumps football in terms of popularity of the final tournaments. march madness might be the best, most competitive sport in the country. to hvae a computer tell you who the two teams who can compete for a championship are is ridiculous, no question.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:08 PM   #19
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
college football on the whole is a scam. theres a reason that college basketball absolutely trumps football in terms of popularity of the final tournaments. march madness might be the best, most competitive sport in the country. to hvae a computer tell you who the two teams who can compete for a championship are is ridiculous, no question.
I agree that college football needs a playoff system, but for you to say that "college basketball absolutely trumps football in terms of popularity of the final tournaments" is hyperbole. College football crushes college basketball in terms of popularity.

This year's National Championship football game with Alabama versus Texas drew 30.8 million viewers.

Last year's National Championship basketball game, in which North Carolina beat Michigan State, drew 17.6 million viewers.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:33 PM   #20
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I agree that college football needs a playoff system, but for you to say that "college basketball absolutely trumps football in terms of popularity of the final tournaments" is hyperbole. College football crushes college basketball in terms of popularity.

This year's National Championship football game with Alabama versus Texas drew 30.8 million viewers.

Last year's National Championship basketball game, in which North Carolina beat Michigan State, drew 17.6 million viewers.
im talking about the entire system, there is so much hype and everything that goes into march madness, the national championship game surely gets a lot of viewers, but the entire basketball tournament is much more exciting and competitive than any form of college football. not that it changes how football will run, as long as they keep bringing on money with their ridiculous bowl games.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #21
bombay
Ring of Famer

Meyer needs to get a grip. The guy simply quoted his player.

He really does need a break.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #22
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:

If the reporter was in the wrong then did why apologize

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida coach Urban Meyer apologized Saturday to the reporter he berated earlier this week for publishing a quote by one of his players.

Meyer spent more than 20 minutes with the Orlando Sentinel's Jeremy Fowler following spring practice.

Fowler declined to divulge details of the discussion, but called it a "constructive" conversation and said he accepted Meyer's apology.

Meyer did not speak with reporters.
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:30 PM   #23
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobronco2 View Post
I'm not leaving Utah.
I don't remember that and I am a UTE fan. We all knew he would be gone we just thought it would of been Notre Dame.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:32 PM   #24
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Urban Meyer looked like a complete douchebag in my opinion.
What else is new?
Old 03-27-2010, 03:58 PM   #25
ohiobronco2
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbroncfan View Post
I don't remember that and I am a UTE fan. We all knew he would be gone we just thought it would of been Notre Dame.
http://www.utefans.net/lies.php
ohiobronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote