The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2010, 02:27 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Seattle isn't in a hurry to complete a deal for Broncos' Marshall

Seahawks biding their time

Seattle isn't in a hurry to complete a deal for Broncos' Marshall
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 03/25/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

ORLANDO, Fla. — Seaplanes are great for show.

Steady negotiation is how Brandon Marshall will get his dough.

Marshall, the Broncos' restricted free-agent receiver, appears to have taken a step closer to the Seattle Seahawks this week.

Seattle coach Pete Carroll, at his first NFC coaches' breakfast Wednesday, spoke about his team's interest in Marshall.

"Knowing he has a chance to be available — just like any other aspect of building a football team — we're looking for the best guys we can possibly find," Carroll said. "See what we can do with him and see what his individual situation holds, and there's a chance you can find a way to get him."

Carroll said Seahawks GM John Schneider has talked with the Broncos and Marshall's agent Kennard McGuire, who was spotted Tuesday in the lobby of the Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes hotel that was hosting the NFL owners' meetings.

"There has been some talk," Carroll said. "John has handled that so far. But it's very preliminary."

According to NFL executives familiar with the restricted free- agent process, protocol is for the Seahawks to first negotiate the framework of a new contract with Marshall, who has managed to set aside the occasional turbulence in his personal life to produce three consecutive 100-catch seasons. Only then would Seattle start compensation talks with the Broncos.

The Broncos began the restricted free-agent process on March 3 by slapping Marshall with a first-round tender that carries a $2.512 million salary for 2010. Marshall, though, is widely considered one of the league's top five receivers and is seeking a contract worth more than $10 million a year.

Should Seattle be willing to sign Marshall away, it would have to compensate the Broncos with a first-round draft pick. Seattle has two first-round picks, Nos. 6 and No. 14.

The Seahawks, though, don't appear in a rush to part with either first-round pick. There are ways of working outside the restricted free-agent process and executing a trade involving other compensation. But if Seattle refuses to budge off its insistence of keeping both first-round picks, it may have a difficult time satisfying the Broncos.

Seattle's next-highest draft choice is late in the second round, No. 60 overall. Even if Seattle throws in two fourth-round draft choices, the Broncos would want any compensation package for a player of Marshall's caliber to begin with something higher than No. 60.

If Marshall goes past the April 15 offer-sheet deadline without a deal from Seattle, other teams figure to become involved in the week leading up to the draft on April 22.

Would Redskins and former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan be interested in Marshall?

"You'll just have to wait and see," Shanahan said, smiling Wednesday. "Can't share that with you."

The Redskins would consider their No. 4 draft pick too much for Marshall, but their early second-round pick, No. 37 overall, might allow Shana- han to let bygones be bygones and strike a deal with his former team.

The Seahawks, though, are unquestionably the front-runner to employ Marshall for the 2010 season and beyond. They flew the two-time Pro Bowler and his fiancee, Michi Nogami-Campbell, into their headquarters by seaplane for a visit March 6-7.

Carroll's coaching staff in Seattle includes three of Marshall's former Broncos coaches — Jeremy Bates, Jedd Fisch and Pat McPherson.

"Those guys know what he can do to help us," Carroll said.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14752735

Last edited by Bronco Rob; 03-25-2010 at 02:32 AM..
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2010, 03:03 AM   #2
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Everybody wants a bargain, but if enough teams are in the mix, then the price may rise. Again, I think the 14th and a 3rd would be the best deal they could hope for, althougn some other team not yet mentioned might do better with player and picks.....

Just don't know, and we probably won't know until draft day or just before. but the media and the bloggers are having fun puttiong him somewhere. They do not think Marshall has a chance to stay in Denver, but idk about that.........
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:19 AM   #3
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Everybody wants a bargain, but if enough teams are in the mix, then the price may rise. Again, I think the 14th and a 3rd would be the best deal they could hope for, althougn some other team not yet mentioned might do better with player and picks.....

Just don't know, and we probably won't know until draft day or just before. but the media and the bloggers are having fun puttiong him somewhere. They do not think Marshall has a chance to stay in Denver, but idk about that.........
The Seahawks don't have a 3rd this year if I recall correctly.

I'd take Hawthorne instead though, giving us some extra young competition at the ILB spot.

I'd also take #37 from Washington as long as they include their 3rd rounder as well, but only then.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:14 AM   #4
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

What is all this, "I would take" crapola Like any of you have anything to say about anything Denver is going to do.

Sit back and see what happens like the rest of us, either way it is the biggest story Bronco fans have this off season.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:39 AM   #5
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

IMHO Washington can stick 37 up their ass and likewise the Seahawks with anything other than 14.

Anything outside the 15 pick in this draft leaves us a major offensive weapon short this season that will not be replaced via this draft and I dont see any other current Broncos receiver stepping up and taking Marshall's reigns, not now and not ever infact.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:53 AM   #6
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

he'll be gone by the end of the draft
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:28 AM   #7
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
What is all this, "I would take" crapola Like any of you have anything to say about anything Denver is going to do.

Sit back and see what happens like the rest of us, either way it is the biggest story Bronco fans have this off season.
youre douchebag level rises by the day. literally. if there was a meter that showed how big a dbag you have been the last 2 weeks, it would be bordering on full.

tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:50 AM   #8
yerner
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post

Alright everybody, thats it, shows over! Close down the message board! It's a wrap.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:57 AM   #9
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
youre douchebag level rises by the day. literally. if there was a meter that showed how big a dbag you have been the last 2 weeks, it would be bordering on full.

Hey pot,

Just wanted to see how you were doing. We haven't spoken in a while and I just wanted to catch up with you. How is the missus? Good to hear! And the little pots? Growing up quick! Well, I should be going. Nice talking to ya.

Take care,
Kettle

PS. You're black.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:08 AM   #10
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

That's interesting, I believe the 37th pick was the one we used for Walker back in the day. Walker at the time was disgruntled and coming off a blown out knee. I'd like to think that wouldn't be a starting point.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:21 AM   #11
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
I'd also take #37 from Washington as long as they include their 3rd rounder as well, but only then.
No 3rd, used that in the supplemental draft last summer.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:36 AM   #12
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
IMHO Washington can stick 37 up their ass and likewise the Seahawks with anything other than 14.

Anything outside the 15 pick in this draft leaves us a major offensive weapon short this season that will not be replaced via this draft and I dont see any other current Broncos receiver stepping up and taking Marshall's reigns, not now and not ever infact.
Bingo
broncswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:07 AM   #13
Flex Gunmetal
Icy Fresh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Francis Daytona

Quote:

Yessir.
Flex Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:13 AM   #14
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:

Agreed. People seem to forget that Brandon is 25/26 years old and on a historic pace. Yes, he has some off the field problems, but come on, he's one of the 5 best receivers in the game and hasn't even entered his prime yet. And some people have the gall to suggest he's only worth a second rounder?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:30 AM   #15
ColoradoBuff
Ring of Famer

In Manning We Trust......

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
imho washington can stick 37 up their ass and likewise the seahawks with anything other than 14.

Anything outside the 15 pick in this draft leaves us a major offensive weapon short this season that will not be replaced via this draft and i dont see any other current broncos receiver stepping up and taking marshall's reigns, not now and not ever infact.

+1
ColoradoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:37 AM   #16
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
They can shove it, but #37 means Seattle can't dick around and think #60 is going to get it done either.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:58 AM   #17
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer

GO Bison Kick OU

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

So what happens if he waits until after the draft to go somewhere...we get picks next year?
missingnumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #18
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:

One thing many people fail to consider is the virtual impossibility of trading Marshall during the draft. Unlike Javon Walker, Marshall is not under contract and can only be traded if he signs a contract, so unless you can call up Marshalls people, have them sign a contract and fax it to the NFL offices, have the NFL approve the contract and then complete the trade with the other team in the time between picks, you are looking at something that won't happen.

Walker could be traded because he was under contract so the only thing required to do that trade was for the two teams to agree, the player and the league didn't have to get involved.

I believe that if the offer sheet deadline passes the chances that Marshall plays anywhere else next year is negligible.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #19
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingnumber7 View Post
So what happens if he waits until after the draft to go somewhere...we get picks next year?
The deadline for him to go anywhere is a week before the draft - as has been posted a million times.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:10 PM   #20
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
The deadline for him to go anywhere is a week before the draft - as has been posted a million times.
The deadline to sign him to an offer sheet is the week before the draft, the Broncos can trade him anytime after he signs the tender, including after the draft.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #21
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
The deadline to sign him to an offer sheet is the week before the draft, the Broncos can trade him anytime after he signs the tender, including after the draft.
How likely do you think it is that he can work out a contract with another team in the week prior to the draft is he couldn't work out one by the signing deadline? I doubt the Broncos will take a 2011 pick so it does seem like the deal has to happen before the draft.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #22
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
How likely do you think it is that he can work out a contract with another team in the week prior to the draft is he couldn't work out one by the signing deadline? I doubt the Broncos will take a 2011 pick so it does seem like the deal has to happen before the draft.
ummm, it's quite likely in fact that he could be traded for a combo of current players and future draft picks at any time post-draft. So, one week prior to the draft is hardly the drop dead deadline you're making it out to be.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:17 PM   #23
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
I fully expect Marshall to sign his tender and get traded sometime during the draft.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #24
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
ummm, it's quite likely in fact that he could be traded for a combo of current players and future draft picks at any time post-draft. So, one week prior to the draft is hardly the drop dead deadline you're making it out to be.
I just don't see it, no team has made a power play so far when they could get away with him for a 1st rounder no questions asked.

We don't need to move him so we are not giving him up without getting value the other way, so I don't think we are taking 2011 picks, so that puts a hard limit at draft day. I don't see how a team would suddenly get desperate between the signing deadline and the draft to put a package together that would entice the Broncos to accept a proposal as well as working out a deal with Marshall himself.

Again, I think it is pretty set that we are looking at a 2010 1st rounder, in value terms that is about equal to a 2011 1st round plus a 2012 1st rounder or a 2011 1st rounder and a good player (think definite starter who is 27 or younger and has a good contract). I don't see any team offering that up in the current market.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #25
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

so can he refuse to sign the tender? what does that mean if he doesn't sign it? I guess I must have missed that somewhere...
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote