The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2010, 11:27 PM   #26
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

I agree with his analysis. Give him some weapons to work with and a good system and you'll see his physical talent shine. That doesn't mean he won't make mistakes, but you'll see a pretty good QB on the whole. I hope they both do well next year. I would definitely like to see them both succeed.

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:36 PM   #27
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Crash~ View Post
yes Cutler needed to grow up but he is not the monster you SD fans oops I mean jilted lover bronco fans claim he is .
I don't think he's a monster, just a world class douche who tried to split our fanbase for his own personal gain after we had defended him for years even though he regularly choked under pressure.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:36 PM   #28
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
You know I think you have no ****ing clue I seem to think Mike might have just a touch more info than you just a thought.
Shanny moved up in the draft to get Cutler what else is he going to say, "I really screwed the pouch on that one Jay's a tool...."
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:41 PM   #29
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Well that is fine enjoy but you look like a little person . I my self would rather talk football and talk up bronco players all of them even ones that don't work out yes Cutler needed to grow up but he is not the monster you SD fans oops I mean jilted lover bronco fans claim he is .

...Did you just call me a Charger fan?

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:57 PM   #30
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Bronco View Post
Mike, if that's how you think a quarterback should handle himself, I just became even more grateful for Bowlen showing your ass the door.
Yeah! What would Mike Shanahan know about quarterbacks?
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:28 AM   #31
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

I haven't heard Mike say one negative thing about the City of Denver, the Broncos ownership or any of their past players.

The guy is all class.

I for one will remember him as the coach that brought us two championships, prestige for the entire franchise and the best coach the Denver Broncos have ever had to this point.

Regardless of him no longer being part of this franchise he has more than earned the right for respect from Denver fans for his accomplishments.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:47 AM   #32
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
I haven't heard Mike say one negative thing about the City of Denver, the Broncos ownership or any of their past players.

The guy is all class.

I for one will remember him as the coach that brought us two championships, prestige for the entire franchise and the best coach the Denver Broncos have ever had to this point.

Regardless of him no longer being part of this franchise he has more than earned the right for respect from Denver fans for his accomplishments.
Great post.

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:53 AM   #33
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:

The guy is all class.

Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:48 AM   #34
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Yeah! What would Mike Shanahan know about quarterbacks?
You know Rev, there was a time when there weren't too many people (if any) I'd put above Shanahan when it came to evaluating players, much less quarterbacks, but after the way he let the inmates run the asylum the last few years, well suffice it to say I'm glad to see him gone.

Hopefully getting canned was the reality check he needed and he was just going through the motions with his comments about Jay. I don't harbor any ill will towards Shanny and I hope he has success in Washington.

But **** Jay Cutler. He's still a douche and I hope he spends the rest of his career wallowing in mediocrity while never winning another meaningful game in his life.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:09 AM   #35
chrisp
Friend of the unsung

Not into the football......yet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

If I'm honest, there is a part of me that wants Cutler to fail because then my team didn't lose a great quarterback. That's just gut feeling and fan instinct.

Thing is though, even if Cutler goes on to be a great QB in Chicago, we were still right to get rid of him. You cannot have the lunatics running the asylum, and coaches have to be free to consider all offers from other teams.

McD probably didn't handle it perfectly once it blew up, but Cutler forced him into a public confrontation over it, where he wanted McD to back down and say he wasn't tradeable. McD was prepared to say that Cutler was the QB, but NOT that he was above consideration for a trade.

In the end, Bowlen stepped in becuase he wanted the whole team to know that the coach was in charge and that no player, no matter who they were, was going to hold the coach to ransom. That's the way Bowlen wants his team run, and he thinks that that principle is way way way more important than ANY one player. People have called McD arrogant, but when you are both young and new in a leadership role, people WILL be more inclined to question your authority and try to push you around. Its vital that in those early days you don't allow that and are able to assert your authority, otherwise people will stop listening to you.

You could argue Bowlen handled things differently with Elway. You could argue that he backed Elway against Reeves. However, that was later in Elway's career, when the relationship between coach and QB had clearly deteriorated over time, and what's more he recognised that backing QB over the coach made the latter's position untenable - reeves was gone, and to be honest, Bowlen would probably not have backed Elway unless he felt that Reeve's time in Denver was over - even so, the squabble was never as public as the cutler spat, and Bowlen never publicly backed Elway over Reeves as far as I know.

Maybe Cutler has learned his lesson, maybe this has been a growing experience for him? Certainly playing-wise the grass was not greener on the other side, but he unquestionably has physical talent. the only question marks are on what's between his ears. I wasn;t ready to see him go, but I had been genuinely surprised by how awful some of his performances in 2008 were, despite the pro-bowl nod, so had he stayed here and continued making mistakes, would I be calling for his head now? Not sure about that one.....

Its true that we probably should forget about Cutler and move on, but he's such an enigma that I don't think bronco nation will ever be able to shut up about him untill we prove we are able to be successful without him. I think that day is nearly upon us, but we will have to wait and see....
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:53 AM   #36
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
You know Rev, there was a time when there weren't too many people (if any) I'd put above Shanahan when it came to evaluating players, much less quarterbacks, but after the way he let the inmates run the asylum the last few years, well suffice it to say I'm glad to see him gone.

Hopefully getting canned was the reality check he needed and he was just going through the motions with his comments about Jay. I don't harbor any ill will towards Shanny and I hope he has success in Washington.

But **** Jay Cutler. He's still a douche and I hope he spends the rest of his career wallowing in mediocrity while never winning another meaningful game in his life.
Hmmmm... nice opinion based on rumors that's fairly irrelevant towards the thread title until your last paragraph's tirade on Jay Cutler.

Here are some facts:

He's been credited not by one, but by two, Hall of Fame quarterbacks for their successes.

Every QB he's coached has had the most successful seasons of their careers under him.

So, we can factually deduce two things:

1. Mike Shanahan knows quarterbacks.

2. Mike Shanahan knows Jay Cutler's demeanor a lot better than you.

What does this mean? Who cares, it's water under the bridge as they're both gone.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:25 AM   #37
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:

The guy is all class.

Agree completely.

A lack of performance his last few years here does not negate all the amazing things he did for this organization in the years prior. He is the greatest coach in Broncos history and second only to Elway as the greatest single member of the organization as a whole. He should be remembered as such.

I do think that people need to look at the last three years objectively despite that, but I refuse to let it taint the overall legacy Shanahan had in Denver, at least form my own perspective.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:05 AM   #38
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

I love it. Shanny says NOTHING and it's a big deal. You would think after 14 years as our head coach that people would learn his coach-speak. Maybe we just forgot it in all the 'fun' since then. Generic praise for a former player? Check. Player is improving? Check. Said player needs a team around him? Check.

All he needed to say was that the Bears were one or two players away
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:46 AM   #39
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Every QB he's coached has had the most successful seasons of their careers under him.

So, we can factually deduce two things:

1. Mike Shanahan knows quarterbacks.
No, all that means is that he can put quarterbacks in a position to maximize their natural ability. It proves nothing about his ability to gauge a QB's true skill.

His insistance on using Griese and Plummer (each with virtually no competition due to the revolving door of craptastic backups) when there were superior choices available tell me that he may not have as good an eye for QBs as you seem to think.

Last edited by misturanderson; 03-25-2010 at 07:01 AM..
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:01 AM   #40
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:

Cutler>>>>>>>Quinn
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:03 AM   #41
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Cutler>>>>>>>Quinn
Broncos>>>>>>>>>>>bears>>>>>>>>>>>>browns too. Especially for QBs. We'll see how Quinn develops with some real coaching.
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:15 AM   #42
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:

It was a reality check for Mike and he hit it hard to improve
Last year Shanny, Slovick and Hasslett holed themselves up in an office on Arpahoe Road (down the road from Dove valley BTW) and went to work on what they needed to do differently to succeed. Now all are in Washington with Bruce Allen as GM, a new 3-4 defense and and inside look at some of the more successful organizations in sport. Notice who is DC?. Not Slovick

Mike can coach any team to 8-8 but he now has a built in defense so I think the NFC will be very intersesting this year

I will alway like Mike for his coaching and organizational skills but sometimes it takes a reality check to change your perpective . Looks like both Mike and the Broncos needed the break.
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:02 AM   #43
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Didn't take long for the McD apologists to come out in full affect to despise their two least favorite Broncos.

Good job guys. You stay classy.
Cutler is a douchebag that openly disparaged Broncos fans to the media. I am a Broncos fan.

You continually blindly sucking on his cock, while you do, wear a top hat and a monocle so you can be classy.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:04 AM   #44
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:

The guy is all class.

Excellent post.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:06 AM   #45
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Old 03-25-2010, 08:08 AM   #46
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Dagmar just look at the way some fans throw players under the bus as soon as they hear we might get rid of them or they get cut for whatever reason
Old 03-25-2010, 08:13 AM   #47
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Dagmar just look at the way some fans throw players under the bus as soon as they hear we might get rid of them or they get cut for whatever reason
I don't see how this is relevant. Cutler is a douche that disparaged every Broncos fan with his comments. Every one of US on this board, including me and you (maybe not mock, he likes the Vikings...).

Worm summed up Shanny above.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:21 AM   #48
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagmar View Post
I don't see how this is relevant. Cutler is a douche that disparaged every Broncos fan with his comments. Every one of US on this board, including me and you (maybe not mock, he likes the Vikings...).

Worm summed up Shanny above.
No doubt Cutler left on bad terms and probably felt he had to take that route to get what he wanted but the way everyone trashes every player that leaves the Broncos whether bad or not is getting ridiculous and when or if he gets his shyt together they will probably be saying we shouldn't have gotten rid of him

Just my take and I loved Shanahan
Old 03-25-2010, 08:21 AM   #49
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Didn't take long for the McD apologists to come out in full affect to despise their two least favorite Broncos.

Good job guys. You stay classy.
Better watch what you say, the devil is making his judgments on you
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:24 AM   #50
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

People here just need to realize a change was needed. I think Shanny will be the first to admit he needed a change. He was in Denver for 14 years and he just kinda lost perspective and the defense was the perfect manifestation of his inability to objectively look at his team.

It's ok, really. Sometimes change is necessary. Shanny is a great coach and he will continue to be a great coach. He's got a new team, a refreshed spirit and hunger that was seriously lacking in Denver.

The Broncos are heading into a new and IMHO, bright future with a hungry young coach. The people here who are railing against the new staff are truly acting like babies. Really, you all are acting like 2 year olds. Waaaah!

Shanny is gone. He needed a change and the Broncos needed a change. ONE PLAYOFF WIN IN 10 YEARS PEOPLE!!!
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote