The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default God Of War III

So I just rented this. It's kind of like the other god of war games with revamped graphics. I forgot the story, but it's entertaining.

Btw, if you're struggling with it (on the hardest difficulty this works): Hold L1 and mash (Circle) as fast as you can. Then you win.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

I played the 1st one - missed the second but always wanted to play it.

Now the 3rd has come out - would I catch the story up pretty quickly jumping to the 3rd?
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

I bought this game. I give it a 9.5 out of 10. I am at the point where I have torn the head off of Helios, which is some of the most graphic depictions of a beheading I have ever seen.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
I played the 1st one - missed the second but always wanted to play it.

Now the 3rd has come out - would I catch the story up pretty quickly jumping to the 3rd?

Yes. The beginning of the game does a rundown through greek artwork that gives the basics of the backstory.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Beating Poseidon to death from his perspective was interesting as hell, too.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:44 PM   #6
GoBroncos84
Perennial Pro-bowler

Crucify the Ego

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

This game was outstanding. Each God of War game topped the game before. Outstanding series. Only Metal Gear Solid ranks higher for me on the list of greatest gaming franchises ever
GoBroncos84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:44 PM   #7
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

PUMPED for this game. just got back from vegas today with a few extra bucks, so I'm going to pick up my reserved copy tomorrow.

your right chris, that helios part is ****ing NUTZ (played it on the demo)...about the most graphic depiction one can get I think.

Are the puzzles in this one a little more challenging than 2?
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:53 PM   #8
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconia View Post
PUMPED for this game. just got back from vegas today with a few extra bucks, so I'm going to pick up my reserved copy tomorrow.

your right chris, that helios part is ****ing NUTZ (played it on the demo)...about the most graphic depiction one can get I think.

Are the puzzles in this one a little more challenging than 2?
So far they are about the same. The most clever is the one in hades palace. It's in two parts. When u get to ares tomb, look into the floor. It's not puzzle related but very cool nonetheless.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:07 PM   #9
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Maybe I'm wrong here (or there's always the possiblity that when the second one came out, the puzzles just APPEARED easier because of the similiarities of the first), but the first GOW had the best mix of puzzles/action out of the two. I looooved the second one, but was hoping they'd throw in some more challenging stuff. Extremely creative though...using helios' head as a "flashlight" of sorts to uncover challenges. That's why this series is so unbelievably addicting! Fighting on the backs of titans!!! Controlling cyclops! Ripping out the intestines of centaur like things! HOT DAMN i love this game.

My two roomates and I already drew straws to see who gets to play first (only one ps3 in the house), and unfortunately I'm second. The GOOD news is though, the guy playing it first is a college student, so he's got a lot more time on his hands. He should be finished by the weekend.

Any idea how long it is yet? How long you been playing it so far?
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:28 PM   #10
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconia View Post
Maybe I'm wrong here (or there's always the possiblity that when the second one came out, the puzzles just APPEARED easier because of the similiarities of the first), but the first GOW had the best mix of puzzles/action out of the two. I looooved the second one, but was hoping they'd throw in some more challenging stuff. Extremely creative though...using helios' head as a "flashlight" of sorts to uncover challenges. That's why this series is so unbelievably addicting! Fighting on the backs of titans!!! Controlling cyclops! Ripping out the intestines of centaur like things! HOT DAMN i love this game.

My two roomates and I already drew straws to see who gets to play first (only one ps3 in the house), and unfortunately I'm second. The GOOD news is though, the guy playing it first is a college student, so he's got a lot more time on his hands. He should be finished by the weekend.

Any idea how long it is yet? How long you been playing it so far?

I've been playing it for 2.5 hrs and just got past ripping off Helios' head. I'm guessing between 12 to 15 hrs total game time.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:58 PM   #11
Natedog24
Ring of Famer

Win The Day

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Still waiting to pick up God of War 3 myself. Pretty addicted to the new MLB: The Show game and Bad Company 2 right now but I'm pretty sure I'll move on to GoW eventually.

Still waiting for Red Dead Redemption
Natedog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:28 PM   #12
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

The most amazing thing I can say about GOW III is the scale of the game. You regularly fight building sized gods and ride the backs of mountain sized titans. Consider what it took to fight Ares in the first game, and Zeus in the second. You do that with regularity in the third game. Two and a half hours into the game, I fought Poseidon, Hades, Helios, The Chimera, ran into Hephestus and had an encounter with Zeus and meet up with in the underworld. In 2 1/2 hours.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:40 PM   #13
yerner
Ring of Famer

Just rented it today. Already bored to death. Somebody explain why this game is interesting? I'm not trying to sound like a douche. I love lots of games. I just don't get it. To me its just no stop button mashing. Graphics are good.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:47 PM   #14
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post
Just rented it today. Already bored to death. Somebody explain why this game is interesting? I'm not trying to sound like a douche. I love lots of games. I just don't get it. To me its just no stop button mashing. Graphics are good.

Did you play the first two?

Old 03-22-2010, 10:57 PM   #15
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Horrible Camera Angles and terrible jumping physics abound!

Nothing more frustrating than getting ganked left and right by guys you can't see coming.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:20 AM   #16
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

War as entertainment....?

What a bunch of reprobates!
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:21 AM   #17
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgaffney View Post
War as entertainment....?

What a bunch of reprobates!

Shut up. Seriously.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:06 AM   #18
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog24 View Post
Still waiting to pick up God of War 3 myself. Pretty addicted to the new MLB: The Show game and Bad Company 2 right now but I'm pretty sure I'll move on to GoW eventually.

Still waiting for Red Dead Redemption
Read Dead Redemption Comes out May 18th.

If you've got BFBC2 on Xbox PM me and let's play.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #19
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

All I know is Dream Theater wrote a song for the soundtrack so it has at least one thing going for it.
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:17 AM   #20
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
Horrible Camera Angles and terrible jumping physics abound!

Nothing more frustrating than getting ganked left and right by guys you can't see coming.

The camera seems fine to me. Its not too different from GoW 1 and 2, and the enemies have always come at you from all angles. The jumping mechanic does seem a little touchier than the first two games though.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:23 AM   #21
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

The strange thing is that this game is the last in this story arc, but not the last of the Franchise...I hope they do Norse gods.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #22
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
The strange thing is that this game is the last in this story arc, but not the last of the Franchise...I hope they do Norse gods.
What about Christian gods?

EDIT: I'm something of a Christian... not trying to incite anything but it's an interesting parallel isn't it?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:07 PM   #23
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

EDIT: I'm something of a Christian... not trying to incite anything but it's an interesting parallel isn't it?

What is odd is that at the end of the 2nd game, when you are taking on the fates, you see greek frescoes of a predicition made by the fates depicting 3 men following a star...

Old 03-23-2010, 02:21 PM   #24
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Richard III was a field guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

Play Dante's Inferno. Admittedly the level design isn't nearly as good and the combat isn't as varied, but it is effectively to Christian Mythology what God of War is to Greek Mythology.

I'm thinking it is inevitable that someone tries to co-opt Norse mythology into a video game a la God of War styled beat 'em up. And, hopefully when they do, they manage a better job than Silicon Knights piss poor effort with Too Human.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:23 PM   #25
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
Play Dante's Inferno. Admittedly the level design isn't nearly as good and the combat isn't as varied, but it is effectively to Christian Mythology what God of War is to Greek Mythology.

I'm thinking it is inevitable that someone tries to co-opt Norse mythology into a video game a la God of War styled beat 'em up. And, hopefully when they do, they manage a better job than Silicon Knights piss poor effort with Too Human.
Too Human was a good game. They attempted to bring dungeon delving games like Diablo to the console, and it ported quite well. The story could have been better, and the loot harder to come by, but it was still a good game to start.