The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2010, 01:18 AM   #1
dragondawg
All Pro

Default Broncos owner Bowlen likes offseason changes, but withholding judgment on 2010

By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

ORLANDO, Fla. — Into his next quarter-century goes Pat Bowlen as Broncos owner.

Few can equal his knowledge of how the NFL business operates. Here at the league meetings, Bowlen is busy co-chairing the owners' labor committee in a season of labor uncertainty, is a senior member of the broadcast committee, from where so many billions of television network dollars pass, and sits on a board that oversees the Los Angeles stadium situation, which is in its usual limbo.

Closer to home, Bowlen understands there is sometimes a difference between the business of winning football games and the business of selling football.

In terms of winning for 2010, the most significant move made this offseason by Bowlen's handpicked coach, Josh McDaniels, was rebuilding the entire defensive line.

"It looks good right now," said Bowlen, who reaches the 26-year mark as Broncos owner on Tuesday. "but I've been around this game long enough to reserve my judgment until September."

In terms of creating offseason buzz from the public, though, nothing tops the Broncos' acquisition last week of well-known quarterback Brady Quinn — even if the former Cleveland Browns and Notre Dame passer is nothing more than a well-known backup to Kyle Orton, for now.

"It'll be interesting," Bowlen said. "He's got the right tools and pedigree. Kyle's still our quarterback, absolutely. Quinn hasn't beaten Kyle out. He hasn't thrown a football."

There is also widespread curiosity regarding Broncos star receiver Brandon Marshall, a restricted free agent who is not attending the team's offseason conditioning program in hopes of moving to another team.

"I don't know anything about Brandon," Bowlen said. "Haven't talked to him."

Among the NFL coaches and executives walking through the immaculate hallways of the Ritz-Carlton Orlando Grande Lakes hotel, the Broncos received numerous compliments for the way they rebuilt their defensive line

with Justin Bannan, Jamal Williams and Jarvis Green.

"They got a stud," Baltimore coach John Harbaugh said of Bannan, who played the previous four years with the Ravens. "He's a great practice player. A great leader. He'll show their guys how to practice. He's a lot like (Brian) Dawkins. He has a different personality than Dawkins, but he's the same type of leader."

The Ravens wanted Bannan back, just as the San Diego Chargers tried to re-sign Williams. In both cases, the Broncos made stronger financial commitments.

The Broncos have all but guaranteed Williams $11 million in the next two years, which isn't bad considering the offseason market on nose tackles. At one point, four of the six players who were about to receive franchise tags were 3-4 nose tackles — New England's Vince Wilfork, Green Bay's Ryan Pickett, Pittsburgh's Casey Hampton and San Francisco's Aubrayo Franklin.

"That shows the value of the position," said Chargers general manager A.J. Smith, "and the value of each player."

Wilfork, Pickett and Hampton wound up getting multiyear deals that far exceeded the contract Williams received from the Broncos.

As Bowlen reassessed the 2009 season, did he think the defensive line was the area in greatest need of repair? After all, the Broncos surrendered a combined 732 yards rushing to 4-12 Washington (174), 5-11 Oakland (241), and 4-12 Kansas City (317).

"Josh did," Bowlen said. "He's wanting to put his mark on the team — and I don't disagree with it. He's the head coach, so he should have the players he feels comfortable with."

And if McDaniels' decision to add Quinn will help the Broncos sell tickets this season, so be it.

"Josh has really been engaged and he's done what I feel are very good things," Bowlen said. "Having Brady Quinn with the defensive guys we brought in was only a positive. We'll see."

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/br...#ixzz0it5TyhUc

Last edited by dragondawg; 03-22-2010 at 01:22 AM..
dragondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2010, 02:23 AM   #2
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

It's hard to disagree. Looks good so far.
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:25 AM   #3
i4jelway7
Ring of Famer

loves haters & trolls

the Marshall comments are telling... bye bye bmarsh... draft day trade
i4jelway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:39 AM   #4
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

He really didn't say much. Essentially, he said that Orton is our QB unless Quinn beats him out. He's not commenting on Marshall. Said Josh felt like the Dline was our main priority. Wow!
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:48 AM   #5
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

"Is Josh McDaniels doing a great job with your franchise Mr. Bowlen?"

"I'd say a definite maybe"

"Super Bowl or bust in 2010, right?"

"We'll see"

"Brandon Marshall deserves that big, new contract, don't you think?"

"I haven't talked to Brandon"

I understand that I took some creative liberties, but, my goodness, if this owner of ours straddles that fence with any loss of balance whatsoever, his balls are going to ache for a very long time.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Our off season has been great--just don't screw it up by trading BMarsh.
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:03 AM   #7
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango View Post

"We'll see"

I understand that I took some creative liberties, but, my goodness, if this owner of ours straddles that fence with any loss of balance whatsoever, his balls are going to ache for a very long time.
For a guy that has 'short-term memory loss' and has definitely put his foot in his mouth in the past...I find this approach refreshing.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #8
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:

"We'll see"

Sheesh, if Bowlen said "It's a bright sunny day", you'd have issue with that also.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:24 PM   #9
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

I don't have an issue that Mr. Bowlen says he hasn't talked with Brandon. Its in Brandon's court. BM has made it clear he doesn't want to be in Denver.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:39 PM   #10
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBronco View Post
BM has made it clear he doesn't want to be in Denver.
i don't think that is true. In fact, he said he wouldn't mind playing in Denver next year.

I think what Brandon has made abundantly clear is that he is all about the Benjamins. He doesn't seem to care who issues them.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #11
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
i don't think that is true. In fact, he said he wouldn't mind playing in Denver next year.

I think what Brandon has made abundantly clear is that he is all about the Benjamins. He doesn't seem to care who issues them.
I agree BM is all about the money and I believe he made a statement nearly a year ago that he didin't want to play in Denver. Besides his childish actions over the past year tell me he doesn't want to be here.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:07 PM   #12
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:

"We'll see"

I understand that I took some creative liberties to fit in with my agenda, but, my goodness, if this owner of ours straddles that fence with any loss of balance whatsoever, his balls are going to ache for a very long time.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:09 PM   #13
MaloCS
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

"We'll see"

Oh no you didn't!
MaloCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:47 PM   #14
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

It's unreal how so many people think they know all the answers. BM wants out of Denver. Denver doesn't want BM. Bowlen say he hasn't talked to BM means there is writting on the wall.

Good god, do you guys watch soaps also?

OMG, the owner hasn't talked with a player during the short offseason so far, let the rumors fly.

About the only thing we really know is that the Broncos aren't going to let BM out of town for poor compensation. That's not good football business and I'm going out on a limb here but I think the Broncos want to win football games and you don't do that by letting great players leave for hardly anything in return. Will they match an offer if he signs with a team pickin in the low 1st round, maybe, maybe not. We shall see.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #15
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBronco View Post
I agree BM is all about the money and I believe he made a statement nearly a year ago that he didin't want to play in Denver. Besides his childish actions over the past year tell me he doesn't want to be here.
Marshall has dues to pay in Denver.

He's man enough to pay his dues in 2010, he knows what's due. I say leave him alone and let him pay up.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:06 PM   #16
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaloCS View Post
Oh no you didn't!
Please, let us men discuss this.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:27 PM   #17
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan7 View Post
Our off season has been great--just don't screw it up by trading BMarsh.
you're losing your touch. Pretty soon people around here are going to start taking you off ignore!
Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:39 PM   #18
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Marshall has dues to pay in Denver.

He's man enough to pay his dues in 2010, he knows what's due. I say leave him alone and let him pay up.
When the dust settles this is what will happen.

This or good compensation.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:09 PM   #19
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:

"We'll see"

I think that your summary is fair, but what is he going to do? He's smart to play it close to the vest. Especially given the instability of the league right now with the CBA looming over the entire sport like a dark cloud.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #20
nickademus
Samurai of Smack

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

I can see marshall sitting out the 10 games he can and then coming back for the last 6 to get credit for the season but without a CBA there isnt really a reason for denver to do anything other than tender him (which they have) I highly doubt he will sign the tender before the draft unless we have a trade worked out and he has a contract done.
nickademus is offline   Reply With Quote