The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums
Default OT - What are you doing April 16 and 17 2010?

Here is a great idea for a romatic getaway with your wife, lover, mistress:

http://www.cosmo.org/calendar/ne_cal..._date=04/16/10

The Kansas Cosmosphere is home to the Apollo 13 capsule Odyssey and we will be celebrating the 40th Anniversary of the Apollo 13 mission in a big way. On April 16 and 17 the Cosmosphere will be hosting several events and screenings, culminating with a fundraising gala featuring guest speakers Apollo 13 Astronauts James Lovell, Fred Haise and Flight Director Gene Kranz. Following the April 17 dinner and presentations will be an exclusive VIP reception where guests will have the opportunity to have their photo taken with the crew in front of the Apollo 13 capsule.

More above

What is more romantic than this?
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2010, 10:29 AM   #2
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Will you be my Huckleberry
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:39 AM   #3
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Will you be my Huckleberry
I don't know if I could handle meeting both Gene and Floyd Little in the same year.

I am wrestling with my emotions...
Old 03-21-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Life justs gets better and better:

Gene Kranz just finished an interview re: Apollo 13 with Matt Lauer for Dateline NBC. Look for the episode in early April. 8:08 AM Mar 16th
Old 03-21-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

broncosteven I know you said your dad was involved in the Apollo control room. What did you think of "In the Shadow of the Moon"? that got me interested in the story again (that and 2001: A Space Odyssey)
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #6
Broncochica
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Dang, this sounds awesome and something I would be really interesting in doing. Only problem we just got back from Fl. and used up my vacation. We did visit NASA and met Jon Mcbride what a treat! Keep us posted on how the event turns out & take pics, would love to hear about it!
Signed by a Mom of a future astronaut lol!
Broncochica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:12 PM   #7
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
broncosteven I know you said your dad was involved in the Apollo control room. What did you think of "In the Shadow of the Moon"? that got me interested in the story again (that and 2001: A Space Odyssey)

Gene isn't my dad, just a mancrush.

In the shadow of the moon was Ok, I think it was more Astronaut oriented. I like the MOCR stories guys like Gene Kranz, Gene Lunney, Sy Leibergot, John Aaron.

Without those guys and countless other MOCR tech's I doubt we beat the russians to the moon or answer Kennedy's challenge to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things because they are hard.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Someone on the mane has a dad that was at MOCR.

Care to elaborate on your last paragraph? Weren't the astronauts on the ground part of MOCR as well?
Old 03-21-2010, 02:51 PM   #9
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Someone on the mane has a dad that was at MOCR.

Care to elaborate on your last paragraph? Weren't the astronauts on the ground part of MOCR as well?
I am surprised no one has told me yet. If they did have a dad who worked there I would be stoked to talk with them. Maybe that is why they are afraid to tell me?

Yes Astronauts were the CAPCOM for all the missions. They wanted to talk to a guy on the ground who had been in (or will be in) their shoes.

Charlie Duke was the CAPCOM during the Apollo 13 "Houston we've had a problem" and the Apollo 11 landings. Two of the most popular COMs ever broadcasted from space, Not sure who was on during Apollo 8 Genesis reading, I should look that up.

I would watch the History channel series based on Gene's book Failure is not an option. The Discovery Channel did a series last year that was OK it covered more time and they couldn't put the interesting stuff in. Apollo 13 the movie is very good but there are inaccuracies such as Gene never saying Failure is not an option.

For my money the best show ever done on the Space program was done by PBS NOVA:Apollo 13 to the edge and back. I saw this before I mancrushed on Gene it and Chris Craft's book Flight were the impetus to me getting into NASA history.
http://www.shoppbs.org/product/index...ductId=1912722

The books have the best info in them. I would start with Failure is not an option, Carrying the Fire by Mike Collins, Apollo 13 by Lovell, Tracking Apollo to the moon, Moon Lander, the Last man on the moon by Cernan, Apollo EECOM by Leibergot, The edge of space by Thompson. The Astronaut books get thin because they only worked on a couple missions (either as Pri or backup crew) then got out or moved on. The MOCR guys seemed to start from Mercury through start of the Shuttle so they have more to tell.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:21 PM   #10
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Thank you! This is amazing.

By Charlie Duke don't you mean Gary Sinise? Just kidding.

I work in the videogame industry and... assuming I stay creative... want to do a AAA game one day that covers the Apollo program.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:33 PM   #11
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

First time in three years I will have my taxes completely done without extensions for the 15th of April. I am now thinking of purposely finding some tax errors to fix so i can avoid the Genefest for the days after tax day. "Good Grief" ,says Charlie Brown.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:32 PM   #12
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I've watched for years as this guy tells all about his mancrush but I must finally ask. Where does it come from? Did you just find the most obscure individual you heard of and admire him for entertainment? What did he do that any other nerd couldn't have?

And about the event, aren't you married? What would your wife say when you started trying to make love to Gene in the middle of a crowd? Wouldn't that be an uncomfortable moment for her?
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:55 PM   #13
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Well now I know what I won't be doing on those days.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:05 PM   #14
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Clady View Post
Well now I know what I won't be doing on those days.
Good call.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:54 PM   #15
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
I've watched for years as this guy tells all about his mancrush but I must finally ask. Where does it come from? Did you just find the most obscure individual you heard of and admire him for entertainment? What did he do that any other nerd couldn't have?

And about the event, aren't you married? What would your wife say when you started trying to make love to Gene in the middle of a crowd? Wouldn't that be an uncomfortable moment for her?
I remember watching the Nova episode in a post above. Gene told the story about the rescue.

I had always been interested in NASA just never had the time. Around that time there were a ton of new NASA books being published and I started off with Chris Craft's Flight. It was good but not life changing.

I bought Gene's book and was impressed with his project management skills. Having to manage big IT projects for large SAN/Server farm, Cisco Network, Citrix Farm, managing and inspiring people I fell in love with Gene's Post Apollo 1 fire speech, the Tough and Competent one.

When I started posting here I needed an Avatar so I used the post Apollo 11 pic of the MOCR then moved to the Apollo 15 one of Gene in his vest. I guess it started with trying to tell Bronco nation about the many wonders of Gene Kranz. Now I can't stop myself.