The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Fun at the range MAR 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default Quinn signing could mean Brandstater's future looks good to Broncos

The comments Adam Schefter made last week about the QB who could be starting for the Broncos this year might just be Brandstater, got me thinking. In a way, the Quinn signing does say something else besides another guy who can push Orton. It also says, the Broncos are not willing to go get another guy right now (via FA or draft) that is going to cost them. By giving up very little for Quinn, to me, that says they still probably believe Brandstater could push both of these guys for the starting position. Essentially, by signing Quinn, you would think there is no way they now use a draft pick on a QB and obviously no reason to sign another FA QB (unless Orton signs with another team). If the Broncos would not have signed Quinn and then when the draft came up, if they picked a QB in the 1st round, that probably would have been the writing on the wall for Brandstater. But now with Quinn, having given up so little to get him, really does show that Brandstater is in no way out of the picture.

That's my take anyway.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
The comments Adam Schefter made last week about the QB who could be starting for the Broncos this year might just be Brandstater, got me thinking.
I like your post, but Schefter didn't say that. What he said is Brandy "might have the best chance of being a long-term answer"
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
The comments Adam Schefter made last week about the QB who could be starting for the Broncos this year might just be Brandstater, got me thinking. In a way, the Quinn signing does say something else besides another guy who can push Orton. It also says, the Broncos are not willing to go get another guy right now (via FA or draft) that is going to cost them. By giving up very little for Quinn, to me, that says they still probably believe Brandstater could push both of these guys for the starting position. Essentially, by signing Quinn, you would think there is no way they now use a draft pick on a QB and obviously no reason to sign another FA QB (unless Orton signs with another team). If the Broncos would not have signed Quinn and then when the draft came up, if they picked a QB in the 1st round, that probably would have been the writing on the wall for Brandstater. But now with Quinn, having given up so little to get him, really does show that Brandstater is in no way out of the picture.

That's my take anyway.
I don't agree. Brandy man is not the next coming people. Seriously, Quinn is on the team for a reason and that reason is because McD likes him. Like it or not, this is not a vote of confidence for any of the QBs currently on the roster.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Except of Quinn.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
Bronco Yoda

Zona, I was thinking along the same lines.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:16 PM   #6
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

chirp... chirp.... quiet in here...
Old 03-20-2010, 08:47 PM   #7
jebures
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:

That's my take anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJ...rom=PL&index=4
jebures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #8
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

We shall see people. We shall see.

Brandstater has a better arm then both Orton and Quinn and he's bigger then both. He's more mobile then Orton and probably not too far behind Quinn in that department. I think he has the potential to stretch the field much better then either of those two.

Yeah, there is a reason Quinn is on this team. It's because we didn't have to give up hardly anything to get him. Do you really think he would be here if we had to give up a 1st or 2nd rounder? Hell no. That deal would have been done long ago if that were the case. So yeah, I guess McD does like Quinn and wanted him but not badly enough to give up alot for him, obviously.

You're right Scorpio, Adam did say long term and Brandstater might be another year away but I agree with Schefter on this. I think Brandstaters upside is much higher then either Quinn or Orton. With those two, I think we've seen what we had to see. I think Quinn might be able to improve with better players around him but I still don't see a big time playmaker with a down the field threat to his game. I don't see a big arm on him like I do with Brandstater.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:36 PM   #9
Borks147
the dude abides...

eehh - questionable. especially since Brandstater is 6 days older than Quinn with less NFL experience and less of a pedigree.
Borks147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:42 PM   #10
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think the coaching staff was teased enough during the pre-season of '09 to want to take a second look to see what they might have in Brandstater. If he takes another step up in one way or another, I think he may have a future here. A project guy in the truest sense.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:46 PM   #11
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Brandstrater is a project, Orton is average and Quinn is the hope.

Orton it the QB for now...they hope that Quinn can challenge him. Brandstrater is the guy in waiting, whom they hope can develop...but whom won't see the playing field this year unless something bad happens!
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:51 PM   #12
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borks147 View Post
eehh - questionable. especially since Brandstater is 6 days older than Quinn with less NFL experience and less of a pedigree.
Pedigree? What's Quinn done so far? Quinn's actual NFL playing time experience is not what you call extensive. The experience Quinn has doesn't look like it's been beneficial to him, so far. I don't think Quinn holds any advantage in that department. Orton, yes, he's played much more and so he has the advantage there.

I'm just saying where's the upside for Orton and Quinn? I don't think we will see any major improvements out of Orton. He's not going to become mobile. He's not going to have a big arm all of a sudden, and neither is Quinn. And both Quinn and Orton are in love with dink and dunk and it's not because of McD. They just feel more comfortable throwing short because they don't throw a great long ball. I think Brandstater can deliver in that area and if I remember correctly, when we saw him in the preseason, it seemed like he had the longer pass plays.

Hey, he might not be the answer but I loudly laugh at anybody who thinks he doesn't have a ton of upside and one day may become a great QB. What has he done to make some people think he's not the answer? When we did see him, he looked good, and that was a rookie QB playing. It's not like he went out there and sucked. I think he will turn some heads this year. Watch.

Last edited by ZONA; 03-20-2010 at 10:53 PM..
Old 03-20-2010, 10:56 PM   #13
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
Brandstrater is a project, Orton is average and Quinn is the hope.

Orton it the QB for now...they hope that Quinn can challenge him. Brandstrater is the guy in waiting, whom they hope can develop...but whom won't see the playing field this year unless something bad happens!
You know, signing Quinn also could have happened from the standpoint the Broncos want to protect themselves a little bit. It's not written in stone that Orton is going to be a Bronco. He could still sign with another team. Quinn at least gives the Broncos 2 options at QB should Orton bolt.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:03 PM   #14
atomicbloke
Ring of Famer

La 12 Boca Juniors

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Offensive Line

Maybe in a few seasons, Brandy can pull a Romo for us.
atomicbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:09 PM   #15
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

There is a reason that McDaniels pursued Quinn for over a year now, and that's because he feels that Quinn is a legitimate franchise quarterback option. Brandstater has potential but he's also an older rookie who is a project.

Unless he just doesn't put it together, Quinn is the future in Denver while Brandstater will probably be the #2 until he gets a chance to move on to a starting role with another team.
Florida_Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:11 PM   #16
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
You know, signing Quinn also could have happened from the standpoint the Broncos want to protect themselves a little bit. It's not written in stone that Orton is going to be a Bronco. He could still sign with another team. Quinn at least gives the Broncos 2 options at QB should Orton bolt.
I don't see anyone out there who would cough up a 1st for Orton. If they did, I'd happily take it.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:32 PM   #17
Borks147
the dude abides...

Quote:
Pedigree? What's Quinn done so far? Quinn's actual NFL playing time experience is not what you call extensive. The experience Quinn has doesn't look like it's been beneficial to him, so far. I don't think Quinn holds any advantage in that department. Orton, yes, he's played much more and so he has the advantage there.
what I meant by pedigree was Notre Dame's system vs. Fresno State's system

what I meant by NFL experience was going through several seasons of game day preparation and coaching. simply because they are the same age and that experience level is so disproportionate, Tom will have an uphill battle to displace Quinn, despite his potential.

take it for what you will.

furthermore, Tom may have superior physical tools, but we should all know by now that counts for exactly nothing. hi jamarcus!

Last edited by Borks147; 03-20-2010 at 11:35 PM..
Old 03-20-2010, 11:49 PM   #18
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Probably, all this means is that McDaniels showed his hand. He won't be taking a "top-rated" quarterback in the draft, which is fine with me...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:50 PM   #19
chaz
highly touted recruit

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebures View Post
+1
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:55 PM   #20
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Peddling the Orange Addiction

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

The idea of Brandstater being the starter in 2010 seems ridiculous to me.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:08 AM   #21
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
Probably, all this means is that McDaniels showed his hand. He won't be taking a "top-rated" quarterback in the draft, which is fine with me...
Agreed. Quinn is a better option than all but one rookie (Bradford) who we don't have a legitimate shot at anyways.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:01 AM   #22
Borks147
the dude abides...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Bronco View Post
Agreed. Quinn is a better option than all but one rookie (Bradford) who we don't have a legitimate shot at anyways.
and even then...eehhhh....I mean, Quinn was at one point considered the top pick until he got way way way over-analyzed.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:05 AM   #23
uplink
Ring of Famer

the only thing i can see that points to Brandstater moving up the ladder is the release of Simms and the broncos not going after a guy who knows McDs system. That says alot since Simms knows the system but was let go. Apparently Brandstater is ready to be #2 at least.

They needed a 3rd QB either by trade of draft, and they just wanted to get the best value there. Picking up Quinn says nothing about Brandstater IMO. Quinn won't learn the system till midseason at best, at least not well enough to compete at a high level.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:15 AM   #24
OrangenBlueOhio
Solid Starter

Orange Crush please, Mr. Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borks147 View Post
Wow, how old is Brandstater? How did he end up getting drafted so many years behind Quinn?

I would love to see him do well here in the future. But for now let's give the ball to Quinn and see if he can do anything under Mcd.
OrangenBlueOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:23 AM   #25
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangenBlueOhio View Post
Wow, how old is Brandstater? How did he end up getting drafted so many years behind Quinn?

I would love to see him do well here in the future. But for now let's give the ball to Quinn and see if he can do anything under Mcd.
Quinn didn't redshirt and they where both born in October. Thats a toss up month for kids to start grade school, some do and some don't. Brandstater probably didn't while Quinn did. Two years of separation. Whatever the extra year came from it was it was pre-college because Brandstater graduated high school a year after Quinn.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote