The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2010, 03:02 AM   #1
meangene
Ring of Famer

Default Broncos 2009 Rookies Article: Notes on Haggan and Schefler

Time has come for Broncos' 2009 draftees to produce
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 03/19/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

For all the older, veteran players the Broncos have picked up in Josh McDaniels' first two free-agent classes, the success of the 2010 Broncos might have more to do with a group of guys still in their early 20s.

Attention, 2009 draft class: You're up.

"If you're going to be on this team, we need everyone to give their all. The first year's out of the way; nothing's new anymore," veteran tight end Daniel Graham said Thursday. "They know what to expect in the offseason. They know how long the season is going to be. We expect a real big change from all of them."

The Broncos made 10 selections in the draft last April, including five picks in the first two rounds, an almost-unheard-of haul of early draft picks, yet McDaniels didn't see an immediate return on that investment.

Only one of their draft picks was a starter running back Knowshon Moreno, the No. 11 pick. Outside linebacker Robert Ayers, No. 16 overall, played in the team's nickel defense and failed to record a sack.

Seven other draft picks played primarily on special teams or not at all, and one seventh-round offensive lineman Blake Schleuter was cut before the end of training camp.

That kind of production won't cut it in 2010, and the Class of 2009 knows it.

"Every year you have expectations. We did some good things last year, we did some bad things," Ayers said. "I think when opportunity comes, I have a lot of faith in myself and a lot of faith in those guys too that we'll be ready to step up."

Ayers said that he, safeties Darcel McBath (No. 48 overall) and David Bruton (No. 114), cornerback Alphonso Smith (No. 37) and tight end Richard Quinn (No. 64) have benefited from spending their rookie seasons behind star veterans like Elvis Dumervil, Brian Dawkins, Champ Bailey and Graham.

Soon it will be time to show what they learned.

Linebacker Mario Haggan, who started all 16 games last year, is expected to move inside to replace Andra Davis, who was released last week, making a bigger role for Ayers at outside linebacker opposite Dumervil.

Tight end Tony Scheffler, a restricted free agent, isn't expected to return, leaving Quinn second on the depth chart behind Graham. Smith will compete with newly signed Nate Jones and Tony Carter to be the team's nickel corner. Moreno is expected to remain the team's No. 1 tailback - sharing carries with Correll Buckhalter and J.J. Arrington, trying to become the Broncos' first 1,000-yard rusher since 2006.

"I think last year for the majority of our rookie class was about learning our roles," Ayers said.

The process of becoming more than role players is underway during the team's voluntary conditioning program. This is the first full offseason the 2009 draft picks have in the Broncos' program.

"Last season, the one thing was different was coming off the combine, training when you're working on the 40 and vertical jumps," Ayers said. "This year there is more intensity, and real football things. I think that will help me going into the season."
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2010, 03:34 AM   #2
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Haggan moving inside makes sense, he's got that kind of size and downhill playing style to be an effective TED.

If Brandon Spikes' 40 time drops him down to our 3rd round pick then I'd love to see us pounce on him as a long term solution at the spot.

Hopefully Ayers is ready to start at OLB. I know a lot of people were down on him last year but I thought he did reasonably OK considering he was being asked to do a lot of stuff he hadn't really done in college.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:16 AM   #3
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangene View Post
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post

For all the older, veteran players the Broncos have picked up in Josh McDaniels' first two free-agent classes, the success of the 2010 Broncos might have more to do with a group of guys still in their early 20s.

Attention, 2009 draft class: You're up.

"If you're going to be on this team, we need everyone to give their all. The first year's out of the way; nothing's new anymore," veteran tight end Daniel Graham said Thursday. "They know what to expect in the offseason. They know how long the season is going to be. We expect a real big change from all of them."

The Broncos made 10 selections in the draft last April, including five picks in the first two rounds, an almost-unheard-of haul of early draft picks, yet McDaniels didn't see an immediate return on that investment.

Only one of their draft picks was a starter running back Knowshon Moreno, the No. 11 pick. Outside linebacker Robert Ayers, No. 16 overall, played in the team's nickel defense and failed to record a sack.

Seven other draft picks played primarily on special teams or not at all, and one seventh-round offensive lineman Blake Schleuter was cut before the end of training camp.

That kind of production won't cut it in 2010, and the Class of 2009 knows it.

"Every year you have expectations. We did some good things last year, we did some bad things," Ayers said. "I think when opportunity comes, I have a lot of faith in myself and a lot of faith in those guys too that we'll be ready to step up."

Ayers said that he, safeties Darcel McBath (No. 48 overall) and David Bruton (No. 114), cornerback Alphonso Smith (No. 37) and tight end Richard Quinn (No. 64) have benefited from spending their rookie seasons behind star veterans like Elvis Dumervil, Brian Dawkins, Champ Bailey and Graham.

Soon it will be time to show what they learned.

Linebacker Mario Haggan, who started all 16 games last year, is expected to move inside to replace Andra Davis, who was released last week, making a bigger role for Ayers at outside linebacker opposite Dumervil.

Tight end Tony Scheffler, a restricted free agent, isn't expected to return, leaving Quinn second on the depth chart behind Graham. Smith will compete with newly signed Nate Jones and Tony Carter to be the team's nickel corner. Moreno is expected to remain the team's No. 1 tailback - sharing carries with Correll Buckhalter and J.J. Arrington, trying to become the Broncos' first 1,000-yard rusher since 2006.

"I think last year for the majority of our rookie class was about learning our roles," Ayers said.

The process of becoming more than role players is underway during the team's voluntary conditioning program. This is the first full offseason the 2009 draft picks have in the Broncos' program.

"Last season, the one thing was different was coming off the combine, training when you're working on the 40 and vertical jumps," Ayers said. "This year there is more intensity, and real football things. I think that will help me going into the season."
cut?
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:40 AM   #4
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangene View Post
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post

Tight end Tony Scheffler, a restricted free agent, isn't expected to return, leaving Quinn second on the depth chart behind Graham. ."
Is that fact or just her opinion?
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:50 AM   #5
steeledude
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfan21 View Post
Opinion. Any time a journalist cites information (like that) without a valid source then they're just making crap up.
steeledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:57 AM   #6
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
I'd bet that it's an informed opinion.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:36 AM   #7
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Unless she got it from Josina, it is just another opinion........
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:39 AM   #8
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I'd bet that it's an informed opinion.
She does just throw a lot of stuff out there and I was reluctant to cite the article but this seems to be info she gained from talking to the players. Quoting Ayers would seem to indicate his impressions about his expected role even if he does not specifically say anything about the move of Haggen. It certainly would make sense with the release of Davis. We have heard nothing about Scheffler and the reports have been conflicting whether the tender is an indication whether we do, or don't, want him back. I'm guessing the latter and think we may be just gonna take what we can get for him. In any case, I would like the move of Haggan inside - I see him as a much better fit as an inside downhill thumper. Ayers development could well be the key to our defense this season.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:10 AM   #9
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchism View Post

Hopefully Ayers is ready to start at OLB. I know a lot of people were down on him last year but I thought he did reasonably OK considering he was being asked to do a lot of stuff he hadn't really done in college.
Ayers will start and he'll do well.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:30 AM   #10
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
The article says "isn't EXPECTED to return" so the reporter is hedging her bets.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:35 AM   #11
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Moreno at 11 and Ayers at 16? Who proofreads this stuff?
Hercules Rockefeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:46 PM   #12
uplink
Ring of Famer

I thought Ayers was real close to a number of sacks last year. a few time Doom got there a split second before him
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:15 PM   #13
Borks147
the dude abides...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilife View Post
cut?
re-signed
Borks147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:16 AM   #14
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Absolutely the rookies from 2009 have to make a mark, they did little of note as rookies.

The 2009 draft reminds me a lot of the 2007 draft for the expectations. At this time in 2008 people were saying, "Moss, Crowder, Thomas, these guys drafted last year have to step up this year."

"Moss, Crowder, Thomas" could read in 2010 as "Ayers, Phonz, McBath".

On the harsh side of honesty, I'm not sold on Ayers, Phonz, McBath as stud starters. I'm thinking all three are marginal starters for their careers. I'm thinking Denver should draft D players again in the first three rounds.

Of course I could be wrong, but Ayers and Phonz I'm pretty sure about. They'll never be impact players. Smith, maybe as a returner. If Denver wants a good D for the future, they better draft D early.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:20 AM   #15
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplink View Post
I thought Ayers was real close to a number of sacks last year. a few time Doom got there a split second before him
Ayers is more like Moss than Elvis.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:02 AM   #16
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Ayers is more like Moss than Elvis.
How about he's not like either.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:45 AM   #17
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I think Ayers could be solid opposite Elvis. He seems to have the physical tools and hopefully he'll pick up the mental part of the pro game this offseason. He makes a good point that this time last year he and his classmates were preparing for the draft, whereas now they're focused on training for their respective roles and just getting better within the system.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:19 AM   #18
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Absolutely the rookies from 2009 have to make a mark, they did little of note as rookies.

The 2009 draft reminds me a lot of the 2007 draft for the expectations. At this time in 2008 people were saying, "Moss, Crowder, Thomas, these guys drafted last year have to step up this year."

"Moss, Crowder, Thomas" could read in 2010 as "Ayers, Phonz, McBath".

On the harsh side of honesty, I'm not sold on Ayers, Phonz, McBath as stud starters. I'm thinking all three are marginal starters for their careers. I'm thinking Denver should draft D players again in the first three rounds.

Of course I could be wrong, but Ayers and Phonz I'm pretty sure about. They'll never be impact players. Smith, maybe as a returner. If Denver wants a good D for the future, they better draft D early.
The massive difference you're missing is that basically none of the '07 guys played year one, whereas Moreno was the starting tailback, Ayers was in heavy rotation at OLB, while McBath and Bruton both where ST studs and got varying levels of time in the defense which both made good use of.

Stud starters? Maybe not, but I'd settle for average to above average from the majority of the class. Not everyone needs to be a stud.

The only guys who compare to '07 draftees is Alphonso Smith:Jarvis Moss (traded up to get him, saw limited action to start the season, then got hurt and wasn't 100% for the rest of the year) and Seth Olsen:Ryan Harris (didn't see the field).

We saw more out of the '09 class in year one then what most of the previous regime's drafts provided ever. Hell, we got rookies who actually contribute on special teams for a change.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:57 AM   #19
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Moreno- I think he'll show up in amazing shape to TC. He'll be around 220-222# and will be much stronger than he was coming into camp last year. I would be shocked if he didn't run for 1000 and look quite good doing it.

Ayers- I have faith that he'll progress more and more over the next year. I'm not sure he'll be a world beater next year, but I think he'll show enough to make us very comfortable with him manning that OLB slop opposite of Doom. Anthony Spencer took about two full years to really show his worth and now he looks like a pro-bowler on the opposite side of DWare. Ayers should be in the 60-70 tackle range with about 6 or 7 sacks. Get to those numbers and I think he is on the right track. Gotta be more explosive off the snap though. He is ALWAYS a step slower than everyone else.

Alphonso Smith- He sure didn't make the jump very well in his rookie year. I think it had as much to do with playing the nickel as it did playing in the NFL (vs NCAA). He is an outside guy that understands how to use the sideline to his advantage. His reaction time to the receiver on the outside was something he could trust, now on the inside and having to cover at least two aspects of the field, he is struggling. I hope he can figure it out or the Broncos are smart enough to move him to the outside. The smartest thing to do with Alphonso may be to play him behind Champ and/or Goodman and if/when they need a breather he plays that spot. Groom him for the future. I really hope he figures this thing out b/c he is a great guy.

McBath- I hated this pick at draft time. But as the season went on I saw a lot out of him. Enough to make me think that he could end up being a starter sooner than most of us probably expect. He has a ton more athletic ability compared to Hill but Hill is the brains of the secondary (according to BDawk and Champ). And, it would make sense to get him back there with Dawkins for a year or two. I think McD really hit on this pick.

Quinn- If he wasn't a second round pick he'd be camp fodder. Terrible pick for a player that showed little to nothing. I don't know if he can turn it around or not.

Olsen and Bruton- I guess there is a chance that Olsen moves to Center and competes for a starting position. That is both disturbing and encouraging. I don't like the idea of a guy that is switching positions making our line calls, but on the other hand he could very well be a mid round steal. At the least, I expect him to be a back-up on the 52 man roster. David Bruton will be a pro-bowler this year. He played at a pro-bowl level last year. Very similar to what Ryan Clady did as a rookie and all the accolades he got in year two, I think if Bruton has a similar year to his rookie season he'll be voted in as the ST Pro-bowl player. He made some amazing plays and during camp and practice sessions was showing the vets how to get it done. Great pick and he'll be a player for a long long time... and he didn't look too bad in back up duty at safety.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:12 AM   #20
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
Olsen and Bruton- I guess there is a chance that Olsen moves to Center and competes for a starting position. That is both disturbing and encouraging. I don't like the idea of a guy that is switching positions making our line calls, but on the other hand he could very well be a mid round steal. At the least, I expect him to be a back-up on the 52 man roster.
I think our likely plan for the middle of the OL is to have Olsen, Hochstein, probably a mid to late round draftee, and some camp fodder fight it out for RG while Kuper moves to LG and we draft either JD Walton or Matt Tennant to take over at center.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:27 AM   #21
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Could very well be... I just hope we don't reach on a Center in the draft b/c of need.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:53 AM   #22
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
The massive difference you're missing is that basically none of the '07 guys played year one, whereas Moreno was the starting tailback, Ayers was in heavy rotation at OLB, while McBath and Bruton both where ST studs and got varying levels of time in the defense which both made good use of.

Stud starters? Maybe not, but I'd settle for average to above average from the majority of the class. Not everyone needs to be a stud.

The only guys who compare to '07 draftees is Alphonso Smith:Jarvis Moss (traded up to get him, saw limited action to start the season, then got hurt and wasn't 100% for the rest of the year) and Seth Olsen:Ryan Harris (didn't see the field).

We saw more out of the '09 class in year one then what most of the previous regime's drafts provided ever. Hell, we got rookies who actually contribute on special teams for a change.
Wha...?

Moss was already into a heavy rotation in the buffallo game in week 1 and also got a start in before his injury.

Crowder also got a heavy dose of playing time, even netting 4 sacks his rookie year.

Marcus Thomas had the most rookie playing time of them all contributing all 16 games (including a week 2 interception) with 5 starts.

I have high hopes for Ayers and McBath especially... but your point isn't a point because it's based on extremely flawed memory. If you said, the difference between the 09 draft class and the 07 draft class is that our defensive position coaches have significantly better track records with developing players, then sure, I think you're onto something.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:00 AM   #23
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
Could very well be... I just hope we don't reach on a Center in the draft b/c of need.
I'd be fine with either Walton or Tennant at #45, depending on who the FO thought was the better of the two for our system.

Center is the most under drafted position in the NFL. It amazes me that a guy like Nick Mangold was the 29th selection in the draft. The Jets took D'Brickashaw Ferguson with the 4th overall pick, and Mangold has been the better, more valuable player EVERY season the two have been in the league.

Alex Mack was the 21st overall pick. He did more in his first season than every other rookie OL last season, including the three OTs taken before him.

Centers especially play at a high level soon, they don't bust often, and a good one is essential to having a quality OL. Getting a guy you're 90% sure will spend the next decade anchoring your interior OL for a 2nd round pick is about as far from an overpay as it gets.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:22 AM   #24
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Wha...?

Moss was already into a heavy rotation in the buffallo game in week 1 and also got a start in before his injury.

Crowder also got a heavy dose of playing time, even netting 4 sacks his rookie year.

Marcus Thomas had the most rookie playing time of them all contributing all 16 games (including a week 2 interception) with 5 starts.

I have high hopes for Ayers and McBath especially... but your point isn't a point because it's based on extremely flawed memory. If you said, the difference between the 09 draft class and the 07 draft class is that our defensive position coaches have significantly better track records with developing players, then sure, I think you're onto something.
Smith was seeing heavy playing time until he got hurt too, he'd beaten Jack Williams out for the nickel job up to that point. He didn't reclaim it after the injury, but to open the season he saw at least as many opportunities at nickel as Williams.

You're right though, they did get on the field and contribute. Unfortunately they did so by default on a horrible D that was devoid of talent. Unlike with Ayers, McBath, and Bruton who played well in place of solid to very good players, Crowder and Thomas played their rookie seasons simply because there was no better option.

In reality I don't think Crowder is a bad player, he just got put in a bad position. He's a text book UT grad who had lived his entire collegiate career off his athleticism. He was the last guy you wanted to throw to the wolves from year one. Marcus Thomas was a similar scenario, obviously not in football shape his first year, and yet he was ran out on the field too quickly.

As a result both where just two other guys in the middle of a very bad defense.

Ultimately I don't think its accurate or fair to compare the 2009 class to the 2007 class because much of the '09 class was drafted behind solid or better veterans specifically so they have the chance to learn and aren't rushed out onto the field like so many of Shanahan's draft classes where.

Guys like Mike Jenkins and Anthony Spencer with Dallas and Brandon Merriweather of the Patriots are good examples of what McDaniels is trying to establish. None of them contributed out of the gate, primarily because they where not asked to do so. But all three have answered the call in the following seasons to become quality starters.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:37 AM   #25
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Smith was seeing heavy playing time until he got hurt too, he'd beaten Jack Williams out for the nickel job up to that point. He didn't reclaim it after the injury, but to open the season he saw at least as many opportunities at nickel as Williams.

You're right though, they did get on the field and contribute. Unfortunately they did so by default on a horrible D that was devoid of talent. Unlike with Ayers, McBath, and Bruton who played well in place of solid to very good players, Crowder and Thomas played their rookie seasons simply because there was no better option.

In reality I don't think Crowder is a bad player, he just got put in a bad position. He's a text book UT grad who had lived his entire collegiate career off his athleticism. He was the last guy you wanted to throw to the wolves from year one. Marcus Thomas was a similar scenario, obviously not in football shape his first year, and yet he was ran out on the field too quickly.

As a result both where just two other guys in the middle of a very bad defense.

Ultimately I don't think its accurate or fair to compare the 2009 class to the 2007 class because much of the '09 class was drafted behind solid or better veterans specifically so they have the chance to learn and aren't rushed out onto the field like so many of Shanahan's draft classes where.

Guys like Mike Jenkins and Anthony Spencer with Dallas and Brandon Merriweather of the Patriots are good examples of what McDaniels is trying to establish. None of them contributed out of the gate, primarily because they where not asked to do so. But all three have answered the call in the following seasons to become quality starters.
No, they didn't. I love Haggan but let's face it, he's a stop gap band aid and Ayers was not only behind him, but behind Reid as well in their rotation.

McBath stepped in on passing downs because Dawkins is an extreme liability in pass coverage. (Side note: McBath played extremely well)

And Bruton didn't even sniff a defensive snap until injuries forced him into that role.

Once again, i have high hopes for a lot of these guys and think they've shown the ability to play at this level, I just couldn't agree less with the points you're making on them, which confuses me because there are a LOT of valid points to make.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote