The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2010, 09:43 PM   #1
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default Tim Tebow 2.0 debuts at Gators pro day (Wednesday)

Tim Tebow is expected to unveil a new throwing motion when he works out for pro scouts.

Quote:
The scaffolding around Tim Tebow comes down Wednesday. The drop cloths get packed, the paint flecks and loose plaster swept up.

It's time for NFL eyes to inspect the renovations.

Few workouts have created as much anticipation as the University of Florida's pro day. Tebow, viewed by some as a collegiate supernova and others as an overrated novelty, will debut a refurbished throwing motion he hopes will sway the skeptics.

There's a heightened curiosity over how Tebow will perform. After weeks of special tutoring and no public displays aside from Internet video snippets, you wonder if the charismatic left-hander will emerge from the tunnel and hurl bombs right-handed.

One of Tebow's personal coaches predicts the NFL scouts will be impressed.

"I think it's going to change some opinions," said Arizona State offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone, one of four gurus who has been trying to transform Tebow from a spread-offense concoction into a pro-style prospect.

Scouts won't see a completed project Wednesday or whenever teams hold their private workouts with Tebow. The Buffalo Bills and Seattle Seahawks already have signed up for special screenings.

But Mazzone is confident Tebow will show he's worth drafting as a quarterback and isn't meant to be converted into an H-back.

"He looks totally different to me," said Mazzone, a longtime college coordinator and quarterbacks coach who served as New York Jets receivers coach from 2006 through 2008. "This guy's an NFL quarterback in my eyes."

The Bills have the only unsettled quarterback position in the AFC East, but the New England Patriots are an interesting possibility.

The Patriots have only two quarterbacks on their roster. Backup Brian Hoyer is an undrafted sophomore. Bill Belichick, a close friend of Gators coach Urban Meyer, might be willing to pick up a rare competitor such as Tebow and groom him.

"I want this guy on my football team because he's got so many traits," Mazzone said. "I'm not getting paid to do this or to say this, so I can say how I feel. They always talk about the 'it factor' that the great quarterbacks have got. Well, he definitely has the 'it factor,' a great presence about him."

Nobody will argue that Tebow possesses off-the-charts intangibles. Those traits, however, are mitigated by several on-field weaknesses that make it difficult to imagine his collegiate star power translating to the NFL.

In an ESPN Insider column that projects where Tebow should be drafted, analyst KC Joyner listed the shortcomings:

1. Tebow has a really elongated throwing motion that hasn't improved even with extensive coaching.

2. He tends to lock onto receivers.

3. He usually doesn't look off the safety.

4. He doesn't read blitzes or other pass-rushing tricks very well.

5. The step forward he takes on play-action fakes is something he almost certainly will not be able to do in the NFL.

6. He is very uncomfortable working in a pocket environment.

To overcome these issues, Tebow has been working with a team of instructors that includes Mazzone, former Jets offensive coordinator Zeke Bratkowski, former Cincinnati Bengals and Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Sam Wyche and Montreal Alouettes head coach Marc Trestman.

Mazzone hooked up with Tebow as a favor. They share the same agent, Jimmy Sexton, who also represents such major clients as Miami Dolphins football operations boss Bill Parcells, Dolphins head coach Tony Sparano and San Diego Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers, whom Mazzone coached at North Carolina State.

Sexton reached out to Mazzone for a favor after Tebow blundered his way through Senior Bowl week in January.

"That was not a very good showing for Tim," Mazzone said.

All of the doubts surrounding Tebow's pro potential were on display at the Senior Bowl.

He spent his college career taking shotgun snaps for the Gators and was dazzling in the process. He became the first sophomore to win the Heisman Trophy. He played on two national championship teams. He broke myriad records.

But he didn't sparkle at the Senior Bowl. With Sparano and his staff running the South team practices, Tebow struggled with direct snaps from the center. He fumbled a few, looked clumsy on his drops and obviously pressed. Passes routinely failed to find their targets.

In the game, Tebow completed eight of 12 passes for 50 yards. We haven't seen him throw since. He chose not to throw at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis last month.

That decision has intensified the anticipation for Wednesday.

Mazzone claimed scouts will notice some key differences compared to what they saw at the Senior Bowl.

Mazzone said Tebow has a faster release, his throws have more velocity because of an improved power step and he obviously is more comfortable with his drops because of instruction and repetition. All of that, Mazzone noted, has increased Tebow's confidence and decisiveness in drills.

"I'm not trying to change the guy's motion," Mazzone said. "I went back and looked at his high school film. He's got a great motion.

"It's different when you're in the gun your whole life and not making five- and seven-step drops. Bad feet make bad throws. We worked a lot on loading up his back foot, having good posture and getting his feet and body more involved with his throw.

"Now, their next question is going to be, 'Can he do this with a full NFL front four rushing him?'"

Tebow questions won't stop for a long time. They'll persist through the draft, into training camp, through preseason and well into his career.

Mazzone doesn't envision a problem with that, acknowledging that Wednesday will be merely the first of many steps toward making over Tebow.

"He's got great confidence and he wants to be That Guy," Mazzone said. "I don't know any guy that's truly competitive, and you tell him he can't do something and he doesn't have a chip on his shoulder."
http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...gators-pro-day
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
extralife
Ring of Famer

these are a lot of really horrible weaknesses. I mean, they might as well have replaced it with this:

"weaknesses: cannot play quarterback"
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:57 PM   #3
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

He's pullin a rocky and throwing righty
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
these are a lot of really horrible weaknesses. I mean, they might as well have replaced it with this:

"weaknesses: cannot play quarterback"
Neither one of those things affected him in college.
Naturally, the NFL is a total different animal, but Tebow has been scrutinized to the bone, I mean, they're giving late rounds QB nobody's ever heard of a better chance.

I'm one of those guys that lives by the motto "show me" and the only way to really find out is to actually see him perform in the NFL.

I believe Tebow has a lot of motivation to want to prove his critics wrong.
He's done everything in his power to work and correct those issues. His heart will be his driving force, and ultimately the decisive factor on whether he will make it into the NFL as a QB.
The fact he wants it bad, is what I think will prevail.

Time will tell...
Old 03-16-2010, 10:11 PM   #5
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Connor Barth

Is he more fit than ever?
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:12 PM   #6
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMan-Goblin View Post
Is he more fit than ever?
He's probaly has done nothing but work on his mechanics!
Old 03-16-2010, 10:13 PM   #7
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Tebow will be a solid player in this league
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:13 PM   #8
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

And he will still fall to the third round or lower because he just isn't a Pro QB. Great Person but bad NFL QB. Facts are facts and lipstick on a pig won't fix it.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:17 PM   #9
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by McApaOps5 View Post
And he will still fall to the third round or lower because he just isn't a Pro QB. Great Person but bad NFL QB. Facts are facts and lipstick on a pig won't fix it.
Those are facts?
Really?
I'm yet to see him play an NFL game. Have you?
He can't be worse than Orton, can he?
Old 03-16-2010, 10:29 PM   #10
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
Those are facts?
Really?
I'm yet to see him play an NFL game. Have you?
He can't be worse than Orton, can he?
he couldn't be any worse than Jamarcus Russel
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:31 PM   #11
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
he couldn't be any worse than Jamarcus Russel
Impossible, and he won't even be a 1st round pick!
Old 03-16-2010, 10:45 PM   #12
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Neither one of those things affected him in college.
Naturally, the NFL is a total different animal, but Tebow has been scrutinized to the bone, I mean, they're giving late rounds QB nobody's ever heard of a better chance.

I'm one of those guys that lives by the motto "show me" and the only way to really find out is to actually see him perform in the NFL.

I believe Tebow has a lot of motivation to want to prove his critics wrong.
He's done everything in his power to work and correct those issues. His heart will be his driving force, and ultimately the decisive factor on whether he will make it into the NFL as a QB.
The fact he wants it bad, is what I think will prevail.

Time will tell...
there are a lot of people that really want to be quality NFL players, dawg. most of them fail, and it ain't cause they don't have God on their side.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:53 PM   #13
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
there are a lot of people that really want to be quality NFL players, dawg. most of them fail, and it ain't cause they don't have God on their side.
And aren't they all...
That's everybody's dream playing college football to make it to the NFL.
Tebow however, is not just "one of them" if you follow my drift here.
Not everybody that comes out of college ever gets scrutinized like that, you have to question their motives...
We will find out...
Old 03-16-2010, 11:03 PM   #14
enjolras
Ring of Famer

He gets scrutinized because he was such an effective college QB. That'll get him his opportunity somewhere. I'll be shocked if it pans out. He won't run over safeties and out-run defensive linemen in the NFL.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:50 AM   #15
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

if he is given 2-3 years to learn and not be expected to immediately contribute, and if he has a good QB Coach who can work with him, he will become a very solid NFL QB.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:22 AM   #16
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by McApaOps5 View Post
Right now he doesn't look like a Pro-QB. But, I think this kid has the character and work ethic to do whatever it takes to be a legit NFL QB. It won't be this year and most likely will take him a couple years to make the jump, but I think he'll get it done. 3rd round sounds about right for him. He'll be drafted based on potential in the 2nd round most likely, but the 3rd round is where he should go and if the Broncos were to select him in the 3rd round I wouldn't be upset at all.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:28 AM   #17
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

He should be working on a position change.

No team is going to have the patience to teach him how to be an NFL QB.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #18
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

3rd or 4th round is where is should be selected. All the flaws listed above are not going to be corrected with one month of intensive coaching. He hasn't had to go through his progressions, during live action, while taking five or seven step drops.

Not saying he won't ever become a top notch NFL QB. Never say never. Having said that, Tebow has years of work ahead of him before he can play with the big boys.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #19
Ramathorn
Perennial Pro-bowler

M E O W

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elvis Dumervil

what channel is it on? they are televising his pro day live i heard?
Ramathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:58 AM   #20
CEH
Ring of Famer

He's signing autographs afterward.
At $165.00 per, that a cool $1.65 MM with a "portion" going to his charity. No bad for a day's work
CEH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:01 AM   #21
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
He's signing autographs afterward.
At $165.00 per, that a cool $1.65 MM with a "portion" going to his charity. No bad for a day's work
He's got to ride it while he can get it. American dollars don't get you as far in Canada.

I will be happy to eat lots and lots of crow on this guy, but it still totally shocks me that anyone actually believes he's ever going to be a good QB in the NFL, all based on his big heart.

Last edited by bowtown; 03-17-2010 at 08:03 AM..
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:18 AM   #22
chrisp
Friend of the unsung

Not into the football......yet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
3rd or 4th round is where is should be selected. All the flaws listed above are not going to be corrected with one month of intensive coaching. He hasn't had to go through his progressions, during live action, while taking five or seven step drops.

Not saying he won't ever become a top notch NFL QB. Never say never. Having said that, Tebow has years of work ahead of him before he can play with the big boys.
Agreed. Its not that mechanics and the like aren't correctable, just that they have to be corrected at NFL speed, and that's the key thing. To get the changes down pat he needs gameday reps not practice reps and he's going to struggle to get those.

Bit of a catch-22 situation if you ask me. Admittedly, if the kid has desire then maybe he will find a way, and everybody seems to agree that he grades out top-notch in terms of intangibles so that has to give him at least a chance. Sad truth however is that just as its true that talent isn't enough on its own, equally heart and desire on its own isn't enough either.....the waiver wire is filled with players who thrashed their guts out to make it but just weren't good enough.....
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:49 AM   #23
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramathorn View Post
what channel is it on? they are televising his pro day live i heard?
I'm not sure if it's being televised, but if it is, I would check the NFL Network...
Old 03-17-2010, 08:55 AM   #24
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's being televised, but if it is, I would check the NFL Network...
It's not on the schedule for NFL Network. Is Spikes running? I wanted to watch that.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:09 AM   #25
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
He's got to ride it while he can get it. American dollars don't get you as far in Canada.

I will be happy to eat lots and lots of crow on this guy, but it still totally shocks me that anyone actually believes he's ever going to be a good QB in the NFL, all based on his big heart.
Oh man I never thought of that. I want the (BC) Lions to get in touch with him.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote