The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Default Fantasy Baseball...Advice needed: Whats your draft strategy

Okay, I'm attempting my first Fantasy baseball season this year. My draft is tomorrow night. I'm very seasoned in fantasy football but dont know a good stradegy for Baseball. I know we draft 9 pitchers (5 starters, 4 relievers) and I think 11 positional guys.
In football, most years you try to load up RB early. Is baseball the same with Pitchers. I know, you probably need to know scoring system to answer and I'll see if I can dig it up, but generally, whats the best approach?
Thanks in advance
phillybroncosnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

in FF, late round RB flyers are the way to go in most leagues, unless you have a top 4-5 pick. with the way RBs are split, guys like shonne green etc need to wait til round 2 after the other top skill positions.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Baseball bro, Baseball, not football
Old 03-15-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

hey just commenting on the only tiny part of your post that i know anything about. what do i know about baseball....basically like 6 full names of baseball players.

and darryl strawberry.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Draft for value at position not necessarily best overall player. Say if you have a choice between Matt Holiday and Chase Utley, you take Utley because of position. Take power pitchers, even if they may give up runs, because they'll get you Ks, and Ks are almost always overweighted. Make sure you realize what stats are being counted, and adjust your draft accordingly. When you see a run going on closers, or SSs or what ever make sure you get in on the action and don't get stuck with a mediocre option even if you end up overdrafting a guy by a round or two. In general, focus on hitting. Pitchers are more likely to get hurt and have dramatically inconsistent play--that is, beyond the Top 10 SPers.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:50 PM   #6
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
hey just commenting on the only tiny part of your post that i know anything about. what do i know about baseball....basically like 6 full names of baseball players.

and darryl strawberry.
Got keep that post count up, huh?
Old 03-15-2010, 04:57 PM   #7
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
Draft for value at position not necessarily best overall player. Say if you have a choice between Matt Holiday and Chase Utley, you take Utley because of position. Take power pitchers, even if they may give up runs, because they'll get you Ks, and Ks are almost always overweighted. Make sure you realize what stats are being counted, and adjust your draft accordingly. When you see a run going on closers, or SSs or what ever make sure you get in on the action and don't get stuck with a mediocre option even if you end up overdrafting a guy by a round or two. In general, focus on hitting. Pitchers are more likely to get hurt and have dramatically inconsistent play--that is, beyond the Top 10 SPers.
Excellent... Exactley what I was looking for. i know in FF you get those late round runs on K's and D's and I let the others draft them all up while I take my sleepers. So, In baseball, when runs start on certain positions, I make my move too? evn if there is a stud at another position that I need to fill?
Old 03-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Quote:
So, In baseball, when runs start on certain positions, I make my move too? evn if there is a stud at another position that I need to fill?
You'll face a lot of these dilemma's the question should be how big of drop is there between the player you want and the next couple. So if a run on SS happens in round three, and you have Stephen Drew rated as a round five guy, but after Drew your next SS is a round 10 guy, but you really like an 1bman on the board (say Justin Morneau), you need to take Drew, cuz 1B is much, much deeper position where the drop off between Morneau and the next five 1Bman aren't nearly as significant as between Drew and the next guys.

Also pay attention to things like if you are drafting OFers or CFer, RFer, LFer. Cuz fielding don't matter so don't worry about getting a good defensive guys...
Old 03-15-2010, 06:24 PM   #9
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Great advice bro... rep... I know it depeneds on where the draft is going, but, just so I know the value of Pitchers, I'm guessing Lincecum is the #1 pitcher. In the top 10, where would you slate him overall?

here's the scoring system... 10 teams....

Roster Size: 28 (20 starters, 8 bench, 4 DL)
Batters (10): C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, OF, UTIL
Pitchers (10): SP, SP, SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP, RP
Bench (12): BE, BE, BE, BE, BE, BE, BE, BE, DL, DL, DL, DL

Stat Categories: 27
Batting (13): H(1pt), 2B(2), 3B(3), HR(-2), 1B(1), BB(-1), R(1), RBI(1), GWRBI(2), SB(1), K(1), CYC(5), GSHR(2)
Pitching (14): IP(1pt), BB(-1), ER(-2), HR(-2), K(1), PKO(1), W(10), L(-5), SV(5), BS(-5), CG(4), SO(5), NH(10), PG(10)
Old 03-15-2010, 07:19 PM   #10
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

10 teams, Lincecum is an end of the first rounder, maybe top of the second. But I won't draft a pitcher until the third round; I've had bad luck with my ace getting hurt, so I tend to rely on undervalued number 1 and 2 pitchers...

Last edited by Pseudofool; 03-15-2010 at 07:21 PM..
Old 03-16-2010, 05:56 AM   #11
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

you need to check whatever player ratings you use against your own analysis, and then RECHECK/Rank via some source of average draft position (ADP) data. There are magazines you can buy at your local chain bookstore, and most have a online update service. There are also online resources ... some free. The theory is that 'your' draft will roughly resemble the drafts that comprise the adp list(s)

http://www.couchmanagers.com/baseball/adp.php

yahoo's player rankings are a joke.

but the bottom line is that there will be guys like the ss bartlett who have an adp that is a lot higher than a guy with fairly similar projected stats. the person who wins is generally the person who can best ferret this out.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote