The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,746

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default the real news a lot of us have been waiting for

Adam_Schefter
Of all the QBs now on Denver's roster, the one that might have the best chance of being a long-term answer is QB Tom Brandstater.

Adam_Schefter
RT @steveely42 Hope you expand on the Brandstater point ... Have just heard enough to think he has a chance -- a real chance -- to make it.
11 minutes ago via web
Reply Retweet
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,746

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

to me, this means that schefter heard from within the organization that the team got a gem in brandstater. he is obviously a very smart person, who was working on his masters his final year of college. hes a bit older, but thats only a bad thing if it tkaes him 2-3 more years to develop, not a bad thing in that his maturity level is probably good.

hes got the physical tools to do everything on the field. quinn, well we didnt give much for him and hes a far, far better backup than simms, but i am wondering if we are really surprised by brandstater this year or next year.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 21,421
Default

Only time will tell
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 11,209

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

I have to say, doesn't surprise me much, of the 3 we have he is the most physically gifted and he didn't waste his formative years QB wise on a ****ty team. This is a guy who is learning the right way from good people.
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
Gort
Ring of Famer
 
Gort's Avatar
 
Shabby Poster. Very Shabby.

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 7,348

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kelly Brook
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
to me, this means that schefter heard from within the organization that the team got a gem in brandstater. he is obviously a very smart person, who was working on his masters his final year of college. hes a bit older, but thats only a bad thing if it tkaes him 2-3 more years to develop, not a bad thing in that his maturity level is probably good.

hes got the physical tools to do everything on the field. quinn, well we didnt give much for him and hes a far, far better backup than simms, but i am wondering if we are really surprised by brandstater this year or next year.
Quinn seems like a knucklehead to me. he's a QB. he should not be bulking up his body to look like the incredible hulk. the same thing holds with a pitcher in baseball. those positions require flexibility and athleticism, not brawn. he seems to have put vanity in front of competency at his position.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
TheDave
Sauced...
 
TheDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,999
Default

Trading for Quinn does not bode well for "Brandy"... If he really was the future, then the smart thing to do is let him battle Orton for the #1 job this year. Bringing in another potential #1 will only limit his reps in practice.

This isn't Schefter giving building up TB... It's a back hand at KO and BQ
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:01 AM   #7
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!
 
TailgateNut's Avatar
 
.......as much as tebonites

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Mile High
Posts: 20,298

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
to me, this means that schefter heard from within the organization that the team got a gem in brandstater. he is obviously a very smart person, who was working on his masters his final year of college. hes a bit older, but thats only a bad thing if it tkaes him 2-3 more years to develop, not a bad thing in that his maturity level is probably good.

hes got the physical tools to do everything on the field. quinn, well we didnt give much for him and hes a far, far better backup than simms, but i am wondering if we are really surprised by brandstater this year or next year.

That's not giving him the credit he deserves. Cutler is also a better backup than Simms.
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #8
The Joker
Ring of Famer
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,295

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Mock would be a better backup than Simms, for crying out loud.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:05 AM   #9
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,746

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
Trading for Quinn does not bode well for "Brandy"... If he really was the future, then the smart thing to do is let him battle Orton for the #1 job this year. Bringing in another potential #1 will only limit his reps in practice.

This isn't Schefter giving building up TB... It's a back hand at KO and BQ
read schefters quotes again, he didnt say that quinn and orton suck, he said brandstater has a real chance to make it in this league.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:06 AM   #10
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,746

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
Quinn seems like a knucklehead to me. he's a QB. he should not be bulking up his body to look like the incredible hulk. the same thing holds with a pitcher in baseball. those positions require flexibility and athleticism, not brawn. he seems to have put vanity in front of competency at his position.
just because youre bigger doesnt mean you are less flexible or athletic. especially when you are only quinns size, and hes not that big.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:08 AM   #11
Gort
Ring of Famer
 
Gort's Avatar
 
Shabby Poster. Very Shabby.

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 7,348

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kelly Brook
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
just because youre bigger doesnt mean you are less flexible or athletic. especially when you are only quinns size, and hes not that big.
it does actually adversely affect the throwing motion.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:09 AM   #12
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
just because youre bigger doesnt mean you are less flexible or athletic. especially when you are only quinns size, and hes not that big.
I was going to say the same thing. Donovan McNabb, for example, has really bulked up since he entered the league.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:10 AM   #13
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,746

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
it does actually adversely affect the throwing motion.
i really, really, really dont believe this, especially when you dont have gary valentino arms. its not like hes loading up with synthol every week, adding some size to your arms isnt going to negatively affect how you play the game.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:10 AM   #14
TheDave
Sauced...
 
TheDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
read schefters quotes again, he didnt say that quinn and orton suck, he said brandstater has a real chance to make it in this league.
"the one that might have the best chance of being a long-term answer is QB Tom Brandstater."


I did... IMO that isn't support for TB it's a no confidence vote on the other 2
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:13 AM   #15
Gort
Ring of Famer
 
Gort's Avatar
 
Shabby Poster. Very Shabby.

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 7,348

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kelly Brook
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
i really, really, really dont believe this, especially when you dont have gary valentino arms. its not like hes loading up with synthol every week, adding some size to your arms isnt going to negatively affect how you play the game.
it affects the range of arm motion. especially bulking up your lats and such. i knew some guys who played football in college but who had been baseball players when they were younger, and a couple of them told me they couldn't throw a baseball as well or as hard after bulking up for football. my background was in baseball mostly, so i always knew that stretch and flexibility mattered more than strength when throwing, though it's not bad to have a naturally strong throwing arm. throwing a football has got to be impacted the same way.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:15 AM   #16
PRBronco
_never forget_
 
PRBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,387

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
it does actually adversely affect the throwing motion.
Did Daryl Hackney throw funny? He's probably the most muscle-bound qb i've ever seen.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #17
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy
 
mr007's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,095

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
it affects the range of arm motion. especially bulking up your lats and such. i knew some guys who played football in college but who had been baseball players when they were younger, and a couple of them told me they couldn't throw a baseball as well or as hard after bulking up for football. my background was in baseball mostly, so i always knew that stretch and flexibility mattered more than strength when throwing, though it's not bad to have a naturally strong throwing arm. throwing a football has got to be impacted the same way.
Umm this is true only if you don't work on your flexibility.

Just because you bulk up, doesn't mean you have to stop stretching etc. There are plenty of people with bulk who are just as flexible and even more so with those that aren't.

You don't know what you're talking about.
mr007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #18
Gort
Ring of Famer
 
Gort's Avatar
 
Shabby Poster. Very Shabby.

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 7,348

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kelly Brook
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr007 View Post
Umm this is true only if you don't work on your flexibility.

Just because you bulk up, doesn't mean you have to stop stretching etc. There are plenty of people with bulk who are just as flexible and even more so with those that aren't.

You don't know what you're talking about.
thanks professor a-hole. i'll be sure to clear all future posts with you in advance.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #19
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy
 
mr007's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,095

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
thanks professor a-hole. i'll be sure to clear all future posts with you in advance.
I wasn't being an a-hole or suggesting that. You are saying bulk and amount of flexibility go hand in hand, which they do not.
mr007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:27 AM   #20
LRtagger
Ring of Famer
 
LRtagger's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,864

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
Quinn seems like a knucklehead to me. he's a QB. he should not be bulking up his body to look like the incredible hulk. the same thing holds with a pitcher in baseball. those positions require flexibility and athleticism, not brawn. he seems to have put vanity in front of competency at his position.
This makes no sense at all. Just because the guy is cut up doesn't mean he is less flexible or mobile. Quite the contrary, actually.

The guy is 6'4" 235lbs. Not exactly so bulky he cant wipe his own ass. He just looks bigger because he has a low body fat percentage.

Jay Cutler is 6'3" and 233, but he's a chub. Everybody had a boner for how mobile and athletic he was and he was practically the same size as Quinn except more fat and less muscle.

Donovan McNabb is 6'2" and 240. He's got lots of muscle, but is still one of the more athletic QBs in the league even at his age.

Baseball and pitchers are completely irrelevant.
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:27 AM   #21
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy
 
mr007's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,095

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
thanks professor a-hole. i'll be sure to clear all future posts with you in advance.
And to Tsiguy's point, he isn't overly bulky. He pretty much has a perfect body for an athlete to maintain optimal strength combined with flexibility.
mr007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:29 AM   #22
jhns
Ring of Famer
 
but you still can't C me!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 12,356

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

You all have been waiting for Shefter to tell you we keep trading for crap QBs? I thought that was obvious.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:32 AM   #23
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,758

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Tom Brandstater will be 26 in October and Brady Quinn will be 26 in October. Quinn wasn't brought in to fight for the number two job. If Quinn plays up to his hype coming out of college, Brandstater will never see the field.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #24
TheDave
Sauced...
 
TheDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Tom Brandstater will be 26 in October and Brady Quinn will be 26 in October. Quinn wasn't brought in to fight for the number two job. If Quinn plays up to his hype coming out of college, Brandstater will never see the field.
"Brandy" couldn't pass Simms on the depth chart... If that doesn't tell us something about his future I don't know what does.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #25
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,746

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Tom Brandstater will be 26 in October and Brady Quinn will be 26 in October. Quinn wasn't brought in to fight for the number two job. If Quinn plays up to his hype coming out of college, Brandstater will never see the field.
age is one thing working against him, but tahts the thing, quinn has played in the league and the team has seen what he can do. brandstater is still a mystery, he could be a total stud if given the time to play or develop. will be interesting to see how they work on quinn and brandstater will keeping orton as starter.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:01 PM.


Denver Broncos