The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2010, 11:36 PM   #1
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut
Default Orton not fretting Quinn trade

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...ng-quinn-trade

Talked to Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton earlier this evening. He’s out in Hawaii attending the NFL union meetings. Orton’s reaction to the Brady Quinn trade: "We’ve made a lot great moves this offseason and this is another one,’’ Orton said. "He’s a great player and I’ll be happy to work with him.’’

The other moves Orton referred to were mostly about the Broncos revamping their defensive line with the signings of Jamal Williams, Justin Bannan and Jarvis Green.

Orton said he had to talked to Broncos coach Josh McDaniels before the trade for Quinn was executed.

"I will keep that private but I do have total confidence that I’m the guy there,’’ Orton said. "Just like every year I’m going in to try and earn my starting job. I don’t think I have anything to fret.’’

Orton’s presence over there will make him absent here at 8 a.m. Monday for the first team meeting of the 2010 season. Orton said he will arrive at Dove Valley and begin his offseason conditioning program with the team Friday.

"My couple days I’m not there is certainly not a message I’m trying to send,’’ Orton said. "I’m out here trying to help the 53 players on the roster and the 1,900 players get ready for a lockout that the owners seem committed to.’’

Orton is the only one of the Broncos’ Big 5 restricted free agents _ the others are Elvis Dumervil, Brandon Marshall, Chris Kuper and Tony Scheffler _ who will attend the team’s voluntary offseason conditioning program this week. Many of the NFL’s restricted free agents will skip the voluntary session as a form of protest against their one-year tenders. In other years, fourth- and fifth-year players like the Broncos’ Big 5 would have become unrestricted free agents. Not in the uncapped year. Complete free-agent eligibility has been upped to six years of service.

"It’s an unfortunate situation that people have to handle individually. It’s a personal decision,’’ said Orton, a fifth-year player. "I see it as the clubs are using the rules in place to put the tenders on these guys. It’s also in the rules that players don’t have to show up for offseason workouts. I certainly support the other four guys 100 percent for not showing up. I also feel that as a quarterback, I owe it to my teammates to be there.’’

His newest teammate, and quarterback partner, is Quinn.

"Whether you trade for a guy, or draft a guy, or you sign a guy in free agency, all you ask for is a chance for competition," Orton said. "I’ve been in situations where that wasn’t the case and that’s the most frustrating deal. If you get beat out by a guy you can handle that. If you never have a chance to compete then that’s a whole different story."

----------------------------------------------------------
Orton may not be a world beater, but I absolutely love his attitude and work ethic.

Last edited by BigPlayShay; 03-14-2010 at 11:40 PM..
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2010, 11:39 PM   #2
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Competition will be good for both of them. I like it a lot
ludo21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:39 PM   #3
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Imagine that, someone who doesn't get all butthurt when trade rumors pop up, much less when it actually happens.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
Shoemaker
A Lurker No More

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Bronco View Post
Imagine that, someone who doesn't get all butthurt when trade rumors pop up, much less when it actually happens.
Stories like this remind me of just how much I like Kyle Orton.

Say what you will about his talent, but the guy has been nothing but a hard worker, a good leader, and an all around class act on the field.
Shoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:53 PM   #5
Fusionfrontman
Perennial Pro-bowler

He is not even on the team officially right? And he is at camp for workouts. I love this guy and I'm pulling for him
Fusionfrontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:55 PM   #6
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

This is not a new scenario for Orton. Happened a few times in Chicago.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:57 PM   #7
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusionfrontman View Post
He is not even on the team officially right? And he is at camp for workouts. I love this guy and I'm pulling for him
So far as we've heard he hasn't signed his tender, so yes, that makes him a stud. I also like that he's supporting the no-shows.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:10 AM   #8
Borks147
the dude abides...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
This is not a new scenario for Orton. Happened a few times in Chicago.

Yeah, the difference being it was never a competition in Chicago. Here, he is acting like a guy with a pair of stones and is ready for the competition.
Borks147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:31 AM   #9
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

I don't think there is a way Orton's at the OTA, except for Quinn's presence in camp. Pure and simple. Orton's too good of a union boy to do it otherwise.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:50 AM   #10
Popps
It's so easy

Orton just couldn't be any more likable. What an easy guy to root for.

That said, competiton is a great thing, and don't forget Brandstater.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:59 AM   #11
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Orton just couldn't be any more likable. What an easy guy to root for.

That said, competiton is a great thing, and don't forget Brandstater.
Yeah. Despite the talk with Orton and Quinn, I think Brandstater will end up being the QBOTF.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:02 AM   #12
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

Orton should be nervous...McDaniels tried to bring in Quinn last year...he wants Quinn for a reason.

Anyone that think Branstater is the guy is nuts.

I'm interested to see what Quinn can do on a team with some weapons and an innovative offensive mind. Should be fun.
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:09 AM   #13
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by StugotsIII View Post
Orton should be nervous...McDaniels tried to bring in Quinn last year...he wants Quinn for a reason.

I'm interested to see what Quinn can do on a team with some weapons and an innovative offensive mind. Should be fun.
Iono... Brandstater is the typical New England build. Smart, tall, strong armed, slightly mobile QB.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:21 AM   #14
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by StugotsIII View Post

Why would they be nuts? Dude has a cannon arm, tall and good NFL QB build, smart, mobile. Nobody thought he was going to come in and start last year. His rookie season and being a low pick. McD is just letting him learn. But he could make some moves in his 2nd year, only camp and preseason games will tell, if there is no lock out.

I'm curious, why do some people think Brandstater won't turn out to be a good QB? What have you seen that we haven't? He had some nice games in the preseason last year and that's about all anyone has seen of him so far.

Oh I get it, out of sight, out of mind. The fact he's so young and hasn't been on the field, people think automatically he must be no good and they judge him. LAME.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:13 AM   #15
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPlayShay View Post

Orton said he had to talked to Broncos coach Josh McDaniels before the trade for Quinn was executed.

"I will keep that private but I do have total confidence that Iím the guy there,íí Orton said. "Just like every year Iím going in to try and earn my starting job. I donít think I have anything to fret.íí

Ortonís presence over there will make him absent here at 8 a.m. Monday for the first team meeting of the 2010 season. Orton said he will arrive at Dove Valley and begin his offseason conditioning program with the team Friday.

"Itís an unfortunate situation that people have to handle individually. Itís a personal decision,íí said Orton, a fifth-year player. "I see it as the clubs are using the rules in place to put the tenders on these guys. Itís also in the rules that players donít have to show up for offseason workouts. I certainly support the other four guys 100 percent for not showing up. I also feel that as a quarterback, I owe it to my teammates to be there.íí

His newest teammate, and quarterback partner, is Quinn.

"Whether you trade for a guy, or draft a guy, or you sign a guy in free agency, all you ask for is a chance for competition," Orton said. "Iíve been in situations where that wasnít the case and thatís the most frustrating deal. If you get beat out by a guy you can handle that. If you never have a chance to compete then thatís a whole different story."
Quotes like these from Orton are why even while in Chicago I was a fan of this guy.

he doesn't care that the job isn't already guaranteed to be his, he is just happy that he has the chance to win the job.

i can't think of another QB in the league that would come to workouts in Kyle's situation just to support their team.

he may not have incredible athletic ability, but he is an awesome teammate, leader, class act, and if given a real shot with some protection behind the line, he would show he is a damn good QB.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:22 AM   #16
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Why would they be nuts? Dude has a cannon arm, tall and good NFL QB build, smart, mobile. Nobody thought he was going to come in and start last year. His rookie season and being a low pick. McD is just letting him learn. But he could make some moves in his 2nd year, only camp and preseason games will tell, if there is no lock out.

I'm curious, why do some people think Brandstater won't turn out to be a good QB? What have you seen that we haven't? He had some nice games in the preseason last year and that's about all anyone has seen of him so far.

Oh I get it, out of sight, out of mind. The fact he's so young and hasn't been on the field, people think automatically he must be no good and they judge him. LAME.
my main concern regarding Brandstater is, he was very raw coming out of college, and when he came out of college he was already 25 or 26, just about the same age as our current starter who has 5 years in the league and just last season really elevated his game, and with the QB position it is said it takes at least 3 seasons for a guy to show if he is the guy you want leading your team or if you need to look elsewhere. by that thought process at best Brandstater is going to show how good he is at the age of 28 or 29

plus there is this aura already surrounding him by a good chunk of the posters on this board. he is already being talked about as the savior, the guy McDaniels is going to turn into the next Brady. it is similar to how Torain was overhyped a couple seasons ago, and with no real justification for the hype.

if he turns into an awesome QB i will gladly eat my crow about all the **** i have talked about the guy, but i wouldn't wager on him ever being more than a backup
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:27 AM   #17
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Orton has nothing to worry about. He knows that Quinn sucks. I guess that would be literally and figuratively.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:04 AM   #18
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
my main concern regarding Brandstater is, he was very raw coming out of college, and when he came out of college he was already 25 or 26, just about the same age as our current starter who has 5 years in the league and just last season really elevated his game, and with the QB position it is said it takes at least 3 seasons for a guy to show if he is the guy you want leading your team or if you need to look elsewhere. by that thought process at best Brandstater is going to show how good he is at the age of 28 or 29

A lot of players come into the league with this situation. There simply isn't enough development for these QBs when they're coming from smaller programs sometimes, and there's a lot of untapped potential. While it's unfortunate that they will never have a chance at breaking some records because of an overall shorter career, they can still contribute a great deal. Tony Romo is a good example of that. After like 3 years in the league he finally got a chance and has been a solid, and sometimes spectacular starter (spectacularly bad sometimes, too.)

Yeah, I do understand that the odds are severely against him, but Brandstater is in a good position. He might be able to pull a Matt Moore, Tony Romo, whatever you want to call it--he's getting time to develop and not being rushed into anything. I think it's fair enough to believe that he MIGHT be an option down the road.
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:27 AM   #19
Meck77

This is how men approach their job and work. Then there is jay cutler.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:29 AM   #20
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Bronco View Post
Maturity does help.
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:30 AM   #21
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

I know a lot of good people....unfortunately, they don't have the necessary talent to be an above average QB in the NFL either..........
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:38 AM   #22
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan7 View Post
I know a lot of good people....unfortunately, they don't have the necessary talent to be an above average QB in the NFL either..........
No joke. People don't even care about football anymore. They also seem to think these players are going to hang out with them or something. I'm not sure why Denver has turned into such a homo fan base. This is football and the fans talk about personality before talent all the time. Again, this is football. A sport that pays big dumb guys to run full speed into each other. This isn't some dating service. You guys have no shot with these players. Sorry to break it to ya.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:39 AM   #23
Hartley
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoemaker View Post
Stories like this remind me of just how much I like Kyle Orton.

Say what you will about his talent, but the guy has been nothing but a hard worker, a good leader, and an all around class act on the field.
Even if Orton never takes another snap for us, i will never forget how much respect i had for him when he came back out on the field even with his ankle injury, when Simms went down against Washington.

I think i can speak for Bronco nation when i say we couldn't have been any happier to have Orton come back to be QB that day. Even though we lost, i think ill always remember how just how much heart Orton played with out there.
Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:44 AM   #24
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
You guys have no shot with these players. Sorry to break it to ya.
I didn't think that through and I will take it back. Our QB position does seem pretty gay now. We have pictures of Orton giving some dude head and Quinn tickling some guys balls.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:53 AM   #25
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Mcd :
I am very good person with good attitude.I don't mind if you draft a QB in the first round as long as you pay me. I will panic when the rush comes.
But, remember..I am a good person with leadership skills.

One more thing, there is a forum called orangemane who loves good attitude people more than QB play.Please take me and make them feel happy.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote