The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Default Brady Quinn will start... have you guys already forgotten?

Brady Quinn will start based off the fact that we can actually open up our offense/playbook. Josh McDaniels said last year that he would make the offense fit into Orton's strengths/weaknesses, and that they wouldn't ask Orton to do anything he couldn't do. 3rd and long situations? We were ****ed.

I know Orton is the starter now, but come opening day, he'll be watching from the sidelines. Quinn doesn't exactly have weaknesses they need to hold the playbook back for. The only question in mind will be if he can read defenses quickly enough.

Quinn may not have the med/short accuracy as Orton right now - however he has a bigger arm and can actually be a threat with the deeper pass and is actually able to maneuver behind the offensive line, and passed it.

Our offense was so limited last season as Orton's arm strength - this year it won't be a problem with Quinn. I'm not here saying our offense will all of a sudden turn into the Eagles offense, but we'll be able to open up the playbook.

If Orton isn't going to report to the upcoming Broncos training, Quinn will be slowly catching up on him. I'm confident that McDaniels will get Quinn up to speed come game day.

Think about it like this...

Do you believe Brady Quinn is better than Matt Cassell? If so, then you'd have to be intrigued by the idea that he'd start - correct? If Cassell was here, he'd obivously start.

Furthermore, what is Cassell better than Brady Quinn in? His accuracy isn't exactly dart board accurate, his arm strength isn't exactly a sniper, and they're obviously both mobile, Quinn just more athletic.

Think about it.

Quinn has $5.9 million dollars on the line if he can improve, get up to speed, beat out Orton, and win games for us this season. If not, it goes to 700k only... he has more on the line than Orton does.

Last edited by The MVPlaya; 03-14-2010 at 10:26 PM..
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

I dont know about that. Its still early to say that Quinn will start for us come opening day. But...I no longer am surprised by things happening in Denver. So...that being said it will probably happen.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
Popps
It's so easy

He's not as accurate as Orton, though... and he's got problems with pressure.

Orton may be a bit immobile in the pocket, but he doesn't panic and flip up INTs.

I hope you're right, though. Orton played well, so if Quinn plays better... great news for Broncos fans!
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:29 PM   #4
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Brady Quinn will start after Kyle Orton goes Jake Plummer.....(see 2006)

better get that defense fixed
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MVPlaya View Post
Brady Quinn will start based off the fact that we can actually open up our offense/playbook. Josh McDaniels said last year that he would make the offense fit into Orton's strengths/weaknesses, and that they wouldn't ask Orton to do anything he couldn't do. 3rd and long situations? We were ****ed.

I know Orton is the starter now, but come opening day, he'll be watching from the sidelines. Quinn doesn't exactly have weaknesses they need to hold the playbook back for. The only question in mind will be if he can read defenses quickly enough.

Quinn may not have the med/short accuracy as Orton right now - however he has a bigger arm and can actually be a threat with the deeper pass and is actually able to maneuver behind the offensive line, and passed it.

Our offense was so limited last season as Orton's arm strength - this year it won't be a problem with Quinn. I'm not here saying our offense will all of a sudden turn into the Eagles offense, but we'll be able to open up the playbook.

If Orton isn't going to report to the upcoming Broncos training, Quinn will be slowly catching up on him. I'm confident that McDaniels will get Quinn up to speed come game day.

Great post...I agree, that is why I am so excited for this trade...I liked Orton, but this is a major upgrade in my opinion...I wanted this guy last year. His mobility alone will be a huge difference.
broncswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:31 PM   #6
Popps
It's so easy

Either way, the trade remains a big win.

Another bit of great news for Broncos fans this off-season.

Can't wait for the draft.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:33 PM   #7
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

We see... I'm not overly impressed with Quinn. If he beats Orton out I'll be suprised. He really is not an upgrade. He's not that much younger than Orton either.

All the Quinn fans think he's some kind of a savior for McD's offense... I'm not seeing it... not yet anyway.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:35 PM   #8
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

I want to hate the trade because it's a latteral move at QB. But Hillis was closer to being cut this year than being utilized the way we thought he should be. Props to Mcdumbass for getting something for nothing I guess.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:36 PM   #9
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
We see... I'm not overly impressed with Quinn. If he beats Orton out I'll be suprised. He really is not an upgrade. He's not that much younger than Orton either.

All the Quinn fans think he's some kind of a savior for McD's offense... I'm not seeing it... not yet anyway.
Oh my friend you will see....I sure hope
Old 03-14-2010, 09:38 PM   #10
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Do you remember how pathetic Quinn was week 2 last year? He is a more athletic, less accurate, douchier version of Orton. He is a dink and dunker.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:40 PM   #11
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

The least mediocre of them will start. Kyle has just as good a shot as Brady.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:42 PM   #12
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post

I don't think he's a savior, but if it is true McDaniels wanted him last season and got him now after he had some playing time in Cleveland, I'm confident. We didn't have to go through those rookie/first year starting QB mistakes. There will be more to come, but he's got some games under his belt.

Quinn is pretty much a full 2 years younger than Orton (23 or 24 months). While it's not THAT much younger, 25 is still pretty young where as 27 is almost considered veteran. I mean, Quinn is younger than Brandstater.

What makes Quinn not an upgrade? Physical attributes alone, would be an upgrade, wouldn't you agree?
Old 03-14-2010, 09:43 PM   #13
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I guess that's the half full half empty POV.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:44 PM   #14
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

There's not much doubt that Quinn's got far more upside than Orton. His athleticism alone will help keep a few plays alive. He's got a stronger arm than Orton which will allow us to stretch the field more. He's got more experience in this offense than Orton, and if he can come in and feel comfortable, I think he'll win the starting job.

None of that will matter if he's too shell-shocked from being in Cleveland to be able to go through progressions and be accurate with the football.

Any way you look at it though, it's a great trade for the Broncos.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:46 PM   #15
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
Do you remember how pathetic Quinn was week 2 last year? He is a more athletic, less accurate, douchier version of Orton. He is a dink and dunker.
Cleveland has a worse OL and WRs than the Bears, and we've all seen what that does to the 2nd coming at QB.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:47 PM   #16
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

Orton may be a bit immobile in the pocket, but he doesn't panic and flip up INTs.

I hope you're right, though. Orton played well, so if Quinn plays better... great news for Broncos fans!
True and he doesn't ever improvise and make a play out of nothing which is also part of playing QB, it's the risk/reward balance... instead he waits for a fingernail to brush him and he falls down.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:48 PM   #17
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
I also remember how well he played in SD and Detroit. I probably attribute his horrible-ness in week 2 to the great Defense we had at that time.

On the same note - the Browns had one of the worst offenses' last year when looking on paper. They had no one proven, traded away their best player week 5, and was POOR in all facets of the offense. Along with that, they had horrible game planning, horrible offense coordinator, everything was HORRIBLE. Like someone said, it was like when we had bates/slowick running our defense, 11 different guys of different ethnicity running around in order to not forfeit.

I caught a couple of their games last season for whatever reason, and I felt bad for Quinn moreso than his bad performances because of all his horrible surroundings. The play calling, talent, everything was horrible.

Last edited by The MVPlaya; 03-14-2010 at 09:56 PM..
Old 03-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #18
RMT
Rocky Mountain Thunder

Quinn has a $5.9 million escalator clause in his contract for 2010 if he plays in 70% or more the snaps. I'm not certain that it's a given he'll be starting on opening day. Without that clause, he'll earn $700,000. So, unless Quinn is head and shoulders above Orton, he'll be holding a clipboard to start the season.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...oncos:+Blog%29
RMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #19
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
There's not much doubt that Quinn's got far more upside than Orton. His athleticism alone will help keep a few plays alive. He's got a stronger arm than Orton which will allow us to stretch the field more. He's got more experience in this offense than Orton, and if he can come in and feel comfortable, I think he'll win the starting job.

None of that will matter if he's too shell-shocked from being in Cleveland to be able to go through progressions and be accurate with the football.

Any way you look at it though, it's a great trade for the Broncos.

To go from Butch Davis to Crennel to Mangini, Im not entirely surprised Quinn or Anderson developed into consistent starters. Hopefully now he can get the teaching he needs.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:51 PM   #20
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

Answer this question:

Do you believe Brady Quinn is better than Matt Cassell? If so, then you'd have to be intrigued by the idea that he'd start - correct? If Cassell was here, he'd obivously start.

Furthermore, what is Cassell better than Brady Quinn in? His accuracy isn't exactly dart board accurate, his arm strength isn't exactly a sniper, and they're obviously both mobile, Quinn just more athletic.

Take that into some though.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:52 PM   #21
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
So you are saying Simms still has a shot?

GTFOOH.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #22
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMT View Post
Quinn has a $5.9 million escalator clause in his contract for 2010 if he plays in 70% or more the snaps. I'm not certain that it's a given he'll be starting on opening day. Without that clause, he'll earn $700,000. So, unless Quinn is head and shoulders above Orton, he'll be holding a clipboard to start the season.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...oncos:+Blog%29
I don't think the Broncos mind paying 5.9 mill if they believe Quinn will give them a better chance to win. If he ends up sucking or they believe Orton would be better at the time, Quinn would be benched regardless to avoid the 5.9 million. If Quinn wins some ball games, no one will complain about a 5.9 kicker.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #23
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MVPlaya View Post
I also remember how well he played in SD and Detroit. I probably attribute his horrible-ness in week 2 to the great Defense we had at that time.

On the same note - the Browns had one of the worst offenses' last year when looking on paper. They had no one proven, traded away their best player week 5, and was POOR in all facets of the offense. Along with that, they had horrible game planning, horrible offense coordinator, everything was HORRIBLE. Like someone said, it was like when we had bates/slowick running our defense, 11 different guys of different ethnicity running around in order to not forfeit.

I caught a couple of their games last season for whatever reason, and I felt bad for Quinn's moreso than his bad performances. The play calling, talent, everything was horrible.
Totally agree...this guy like so many other good college QBs got the shaft right out of college, but few get a second chance like this...I am not saying we are a superbowl contender right now, but this is a good team with a lot of upside...this guy will be good for us, I think Josh will bring out his top play.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #24
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
To go from Butch Davis to Crennel to Mangini, Im not entirely surprised Quinn or Anderson developed into consistent starters. Hopefully now he can get the teaching he needs.

I think it will be a huge relief for him to come in and see the exact offense he ran at ND on the pages of the playbook.

He's got talent, and unlike a former QB, I think he truly wants to get better and cares only about winning. I think having worked with Weiss and studied Brady in this offense he will have great respect for McD's ability to help him.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #25
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

We will wait for Orton to be benched/cut for Poops to come out and throw him under the bus, huh?
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote