The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2010, 03:50 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Broncos’ millionaire club

Broncos’ millionaire club

By Nick Groke
Posted March 12, 2010, 7:16 pm MT

With the Broncos giving cornerback Champ Bailey a $3 million signing bonus this week, Mike Klis on Saturday will breakdown the roster by salary. Look for it overnight.

Meantime, here’s the list of Broncos who stand to make at least seven figures next season.

Interesting list, how salaries work out. For example, Brandon Marshall is looking UP at Chris Simms and Robert Ayers.

The Broncos have 27 players due to make at least $1 million in 2010:

Champ Bailey … CB … $13 million
Knowshon Moreno … RB … $8.44 million
Justin Bannan … DE … $7 million
Jamal Williams … NT … $6 million
D.J. Williams … ILB … $6 million
Robert Ayers … OLB … $5.12 million
Daniel Graham … TE … $4.5 million
Jarvis Green … DE … $3.26 million
Elvis Dumervil … LB … $3.17 million
Kyle Orton … QB … $2.62 million
Cris Simms … QB … $2.54 million*
Brandon Marshall … WR … $2.52 million
Chris Kuper … RG … $2.52 million
Andrι Goodman … CB … $2.34 million
Brandon Stokley … WR … $2 million
Jabar Gaffney … WR … $1.95 million
Renaldo Hill … FS … $1.95 million
Ronnie Fields … NT … $1.95 million
Brian Dawkins … SS … $1.82 million
Darrell Reid … OLB … $1.73 million
Nathan Jones … CB … $1.63 million
Correll Buckhalter … RB … $1.56 million
Brandon Lloyd … WR … $1.26 million
Tony Scheffler … TE … $1.18 million
Russ Hochstein … OL … $1.13 million
Ryan Clady … LT … $1.02 million
Mario Haggan … ILB … $1 million

27-player total: $89.21 million

*Somebody get me Simms's agent STAT!

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...lionaire-club/
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2010, 04:06 AM   #2
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Looking at that list I couldn't see any reason why Marshall wouldn't want to be a Bronco for life. Three guys on that list make more then him and they haven't played a tenth of a second as a Bronco. Then there is Simms. He sure as **** needs to be the 11th highest paid Bronco.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:39 AM   #3
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Looking at that list I couldn't see any reason why Marshall wouldn't want to be a Bronco for life. Three guys on that list make more then him and they haven't played a tenth of a second as a Bronco. Then there is Simms. He sure as **** needs to be the 11th highest paid Bronco.
Marshall was offered the chance to sit at #2 on that list last summer and he passed. Don't see where he has reason to complain about money with regards to the Broncos.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:27 AM   #4
Bronco Yoda

Simms sure did get a nice little golden parachute fund from us. One last parting gift before he retires to the greens.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:03 AM   #5
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bσg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Marshall was offered the chance to sit at #2 on that list last summer and he passed. Don't see where he has reason to complain about money with regards to the Broncos.
Because the money was all at back end of the contract. We all know that unless you get the money up front in the NFL, it not a good deal for a player. It was a smart move by him, and if you were in his position you and your agent wouldn't have signed it either.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:11 AM   #6
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Because the money was all at back end of the contract. We all know that unless you get the money up front in the NFL, it not a good deal for a player. It was a smart move by him, and if you were in his position you and your agent wouldn't have signed it either.
No, it just didn't have a ton of guaranteed money. He'd have brought in around $9.5M per season.

And if I'd been an amazing jackass off the field who was on more violation away from potentially missing an entire season I might understand how my actions lead to this point, and would instead take the massive contract and prove myself worthy of it season after season.

But what do I know, I'm just a grown man who considers himself accountable for his own actions. Not a pro football player. They obviously have different standards for accountability.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:42 AM   #7
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

rasta is going to have a blast playing fantasy agent with this thread.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:54 AM   #8
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Simms won't see a dime of that when he's cut.

And did I miss something, Champ got a *signing* bonus? Does he mean a *roster* bonus? All hail the media, with their layers of fact checkers and editors!
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:28 AM   #9
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
No, it just didn't have a ton of guaranteed money. He'd have brought in around $9.5M per season.

And if I'd been an amazing jackass off the field who was on more violation away from potentially missing an entire season I might understand how my actions lead to this point, and would instead take the massive contract and prove myself worthy of it season after season.

But what do I know, I'm just a grown man who considers himself accountable for his own actions. Not a pro football player. They obviously have different standards for accountability.
wheres the breakdown of the contract i'm interested to see it
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #10
nickademus
Samurai of Smack

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

wow we paid bannon near the franchise ammnt. for a DT he had better be worth it.
nickademus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:37 AM   #11
GoBroncos84
Perennial Pro-bowler

Crucify the Ego

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

1.02 million for Clady? That is quite interesting. Dawkins and him will be a steal this season.

Marshall and Dumervil deserve new contracts
GoBroncos84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:33 AM   #12
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
rasta is going to have a blast playing fantasy agent with this thread.
Meh! The Broncos (with McD leading the charge and with Bowlen's blessing) made Marshall an insulting contract offer that only an idiot would sign, Brandon proved he wasn't stupid! So what does Bowlen and McD target next as their next IDIOTs? Why its the rest of the league, with their attempts to offer a Kings Ransom for trading Marshall.

On the one hand the Broncos don't want to pay Brandon long term due to off the field issues, but surprisingly teams interested in Brandon were not supposed to consider Marshalls off the field problems either, and just give the Broncos they're ridiculous high draft pick demands. Hopefully the rest of the league have shown the Broncos they can't have their cake and eat it to.

So it looks like Marshall will be a Bronco in 2010 (due to Denver poisoning the well) and theme as to why Brandon is still a Bronco was "Off the Field Problems". So Brandon's theme for 2010 should be to play SMARTER & NOT RECKLESSLY to save wear and tear on his body as much as possible He needs to save his body b/c LONGEVITY = increasing the odds you will get paid top 5 money eventually.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:43 AM   #13
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Your caps lock key is BROKEN rasta.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:46 AM   #14
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Looking at that list I couldn't see any reason why Marshall wouldn't want to be a Bronco for life. Three guys on that list make more then him and they haven't played a tenth of a second as a Bronco.
Marshall was offered to be much higher on that list, but like most playas he wants something for nothing.

All he had to do was sign the deal, play like he has and stay out of trouble, and he would have gotten PAID.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:14 AM   #15
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
On the one hand the Broncos don't want to pay Brandon long term due to off the field issues, but surprisingly teams interested in Brandon were not supposed to consider Marshalls off the field problems either, and just give the Broncos they're ridiculous high draft pick demands. Hopefully the rest of the league have shown the Broncos they can't have their cake and eat it to.
Please tell me Rasta: how is a single first round pick a "ridiculous demand" for someone you believe is one of the best WRs in the league?

You've got it backwards. The first round compensation to Denver is the easy part for these teams. Over a dozen teams would do that in a second if that's all they had to worry about. The compensation to Marshall is the sticking point.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:14 AM   #16
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Looking at current year salary isn't very useful. You really have to look at the whole contract, particularly how much money was received up front and/or how much is guaranteed.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:21 AM   #17
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

I think we've front loaded the contracts so next year (if there is a cap) we'll be in great shape.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:11 AM   #18
TotallyScrewed
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Yeah, I was going to say where's the link/thread that had his contract laid out on the table for us to review...I must have missed that.

There are only two guys on above Brandon that meant more to the team last year...and really only one and that's a close one (Doom). Bailey's worth is based on past performance (not complaining here) but the rest...pfffft.

When he leaves this board will break out how he was a piece of ****, whiney b**** that didn't do anything and sucked while he was here and will always suck...SOP for former Broncos.
TotallyScrewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #19
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickademus View Post
wow we paid bannon near the franchise ammnt. for a DT he had better be worth it.
he is a pretty good player and his versatility enables him to play both end spots as well as the nose, so i think he is worth the deal he got.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:19 AM   #20
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyScrewed View Post
Yeah, I was going to say where's the link/thread that had his contract laid out on the table for us to review...I must have missed that.

There are only two guys on above Brandon that meant more to the team last year...and really only one and that's a close one (Doom). Bailey's worth is based on past performance (not complaining here) but the rest...pfffft.

When he leaves this board will break out how he was a piece of ****, whiney b**** that didn't do anything and sucked while he was here and will always suck...SOP for former Broncos.
no, the overwhelming message regarding Marshall when he is gone will be he was a great player for us, but his off field distractions, money he wants and potential 8 game suspension if he messed up again(his history shows that to be likely) made him not worth what he was asking.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:35 AM   #21
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
The article in which it was referenced (with two sources) said it was worth $9.5M per season with very little guaranteed money, and the lack of guaranteed money was why Marshall didn't sign it. Deferred money was never mentioned as a sticking point by either source and it was phrased as $9.5M per season, not $9.5M AAV.

I totally get why Marshall wouldn't sign it. He knows he can't be 100% sure he won't screw up again, at which point he's SOL. But at the same time his previous issues have lead to his current situation, where no one has extended the kind of multi-year, guarantee laden deal he's seeking, so it is what it is.

He can go find someone willing to pay a first and whatever his contract demands are, he can take the $2.5M and be happy with the sizable raise he's getting over what he made last year, he can see if the Broncos would put the non-guaranteed big money deal back on the table, or he can try to sit out a year, possibly two if the players strike, and see how that works out for him.

Pretty cut and dry really.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:37 AM   #22
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
Broncos’ millionaire club

By Nick Groke
Posted March 12, 2010, 7:16 pm MT

With the Broncos giving cornerback Champ Bailey a $3 million signing bonus this week, Mike Klis on Saturday will breakdown the roster by salary. Look for it overnight.

Meantime, here’s the list of Broncos who stand to make at least seven figures next season.

Interesting list, how salaries work out. For example, Brandon Marshall is looking UP at Chris Simms and Robert Ayers.

The Broncos have 27 players due to make at least $1 million in 2010:

Champ Bailey … CB … $13 million
Knowshon Moreno … RB … $8.44 million
Justin Bannan … DE … $7 million
Jamal Williams … NT … $6 million
D.J. Williams … ILB … $6 million
Robert Ayers … OLB … $5.12 million
Daniel Graham … TE … $4.5 million
Jarvis Green … DE … $3.26 million
Elvis Dumervil … LB … $3.17 million
Kyle Orton … QB … $2.62 million
Cris Simms … QB … $2.54 million*
Brandon Marshall … WR … $2.52 million
Chris Kuper … RG … $2.52 million
Andrι Goodman … CB … $2.34 million
Brandon Stokley … WR … $2 million
Jabar Gaffney … WR … $1.95 million
Renaldo Hill … FS … $1.95 million
Ronnie Fields … NT … $1.95 million
Brian Dawkins … SS … $1.82 million
Darrell Reid … OLB … $1.73 million
Nathan Jones … CB … $1.63 million
Correll Buckhalter … RB … $1.56 million
Brandon Lloyd … WR … $1.26 million
Tony Scheffler … TE … $1.18 million
Russ Hochstein … OL … $1.13 million
Ryan Clady … LT … $1.02 million
Mario Haggan … ILB … $1 million

27-player total: $89.21 million

*Somebody get me Simms's agent STAT!

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...lionaire-club/
That's not bad at all! Lean and mean with the only guy making over $10m a year being a potential HOFer.

If this was Shanny's team, you'd have like 4 guys making over $10m a year, one being Cutler...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #23
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
exactly. Marshall wants out of Denver because he's the one that started the crap with the thug who killed Darrent. Not his fault he was just being Brandon but I don't think he feels safe in Denver. He watns out because he can't enjoy life living in Denver.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:54 AM   #24
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
That's not bad at all! Lean and mean with the only guy making over $10m a year being a potential HOFer.

If this was Shanny's team, you'd have like 4 guys making over $10m a year, one being Cutler...
Potential HoFer? He's tied for the most Pro Bowls ever for a corner, he's in.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:59 AM   #25
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
Potential HoFer? He's tied for the most Pro Bowls ever for a corner, he's in.
fair enough
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote