The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2010, 10:57 PM   #1
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Default Mel Kiper's and McShay's latest mock 3.0 Round 1

Took this from another forum.

It seems as if they keep avoiding giving the Broncos serious thought on who we will draft. Marshall is still an RFA with us and it's no where near guaranteed or for sure he won't be here - so why give us Dez Bryant in EVERY mock? It's like, they can't think of another team that would take him so by default we'd take him. The Broncos hate keeps coming from the media.

I honestly don't think McDaniels would take Dez with the fact that he's trying to build a "team, and not a group of individuals." And based on the fact that the Broncos are putting so much emphasis on character, using up all their interviews, etc, it seems like it'd be counter productive to draft Dez based on character alone.

* 1st (Rams) - Kiper & McShay: Sam Bradford
* 2nd (Lions) - Kiper & McShay: Ndamukong Suh
* 3rd (Bucs) - Kiper & McShay: Gerald McCoy
* 4th (Redskins) - Kiper: Jimmy Clausen/McShay: Russell Okung
* 5th (Chiefs) - Kiper & McShay: Eric Berry
* 6th (Seahawks) - Kiper: Russell Okung/McShay: Bryan Bulaga
* 7th (Browns) - Kiper: Jason Pierre-Paul/McShay: Joe Haden
* 8th (Raiders) - Kiper & McShay: Bruce Campbell
* 9th (Bills) - Kiper: Trent Williams/McShay: Jimmy Claussen
* 10th (Jaguars) - Kiper: Derrick Morgan/McShay: Earl Thomas
* 11th (Broncos) - Kiper & McShay: Dez Bryant
* 12th (Dolphins) - Kiper & McShay: Dan Williams
* 13th (49ers) - Kiper: Joe Haden/McShay: Trent Williams
* 14th (Seahawks) - Kiper: Everson Griffen/McShay: CJ Spiller
* 15th (Giants) - Kiper & McShay: Rolando McClain
* 16th (Titans) - Kiper: Sergio Kindle/McShay: Derrick Morgan
* 17th (49ers) - Kiper: Mike Iupati/McShay: Jason Pierre-Paul
* 18th (Steelers) - Kiper: Anthony Davis/McShay: Mike Iupati
* 19th (Falcons) - Kiper: CJ Spiller/McShay: Everson Griffen
* 20th (Texans) - Kiper & McShay: Kyle Wilson
* 21st (Bengals) - Kiper: Arrelious Benn/McShay: Taylor Mays
* 22nd (Patriots) - Kiper & McShay: Brandon Graham
* 23rd (Packers) - Kiper: Bryan Bulaga/McShay: Anthony Davis
* 24th (Eagles) - Kiper: Maurkice Pouncey/McShay: Sergio Kindle
* 25th (Ravens) - Kiper & McShay: Jermaine Gresham
* 26th (Cardinals) - Kiper & McShay: Jerry Hughes
* 27th (Cowboys) - Kiper: Earl Thomas/McShay: Charles Brown
* 28th (Chargers) - Kiper: Terrence Cody/McShay: Ryan Mathews
* 29th (Jets) - Kiper: Taylor Mays/McShay: Jaren Odrick
* 30th (Vikings) - Kiper: Devin McCourty/McShay: Brian Price
* 31st (Colts) - Kiper: Brian Price/McShay: Maurkice Pouncey
* 32nd (Saints)- Kiper & McShay: Sean Witherspoon

In addition, I'm reading a lot around here that people are pretty high on Dan Williams, however I'm getting other input on him from various forums. He only benched 27 times and some people are not very high on him. Developmental player, etc. Pretty much another Robert Ayers. You think we'll have two Tenn players starting on the same squad?

And Witherspoon dropping would be a gem for the Saints.

Last edited by The MVPlaya; 03-10-2010 at 11:06 PM..
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MVPlaya View Post

In addition, I'm reading a lot around here that people are pretty high on Dan Williams, however I'm getting other input on him from various forums. He only benched 27 times and some people are very high on him. You think we'll have two Tenn players starting on the same squad?

And Witherspoon dropping would be a gem for the Saints.
the bench is a very sketchy way to tell the strength on a prospect. it doesn't factor in the added difficulty of the repetitions with a guy with longer arms. you see guys with 7ft wing spans crapping out relatively quickly on the bench while guys with shorter wing spans can toss up gawdy numbers on the bench.

look at Clady, he has incredibly long arms and at the combine only put up 24 on the bench

but on a side note, does anyone really put much stock into what Kiper says?

I can deal with McShay as he has a good grasp on the happenings in football, but Kiper is just a moron on the level of Jamie Dukes.

also, now that he works for ESPN, what are the chances we get a mock from Schefter?
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:19 PM   #3
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post

but on a side note, does anyone really put much stock into what Kiper says?

I can deal with McShay as he has a good grasp on the happenings in football, but Kiper is just a moron on the level of Jamie Dukes
Did he bash McDaniels, or something?
Kiper is good. He was the only one saying Cutler was overrated when the Broncos got him. He got crucified for that. He now looks like he was right, at least for the moment, anyway...

Quote:
also, now that he works for ESPN, what are the chances we get a mock from Schefter?
Since when has Schefter become a draft guru?
He's a great guy and very good at what he does better than anyone else in the business, but predicting the draft is something he's never done
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:26 PM   #4
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
Kiper is good. He was the only one saying Cutler was overrated when the Broncos got him. He got crucified for that. He now looks like he was right, at least for the moment, anyway...

He's a great guy and very good at what he does better than anyone else in the business, but predicting the draft is something he's never done
Kiper is good?

Holy **** man, you're credibility just lost about 100 points.
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:28 PM   #5
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MVPlaya View Post
Kiper is good?

Holy **** man, you're credibility just lost about 100 points.
What makes him bad?
Cite examples please...
Old 03-10-2010, 11:45 PM   #6
Borks147
the dude abides...

Quote:
What makes him bad?
Cite examples please...
his hair isnt enough? jesus, what do you want from us!
Borks147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:46 PM   #7
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borks147 View Post
his hair isnt enough? jesus, what do you want from us!
haha!!!
Old 03-11-2010, 12:06 AM   #8
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:

what is with you turning everything around so that is pertains to McDaniels?

and Schefter is the top dog when it comes to credibility, and knowledge of what plans basically all teams have in store.

he is so well connected all across the NFL, that it is quite likely he has a great wealth of knowledge on what guys each team is really considering and that he would be able to put together a truly kick ass mock based on his inside sources of each teams information
Old 03-11-2010, 12:13 AM   #9
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
the bench is a very sketchy way to tell the strength on a prospect. it doesn't factor in the added difficulty of the repetitions with aguy with longer arms. you see guys with 7ft wing spans crapping out relatively quickly on the bench while guys with shorter wing spans can toss up gawdy numbers on the bench.
Preach it... I'm not the strongest guy in the world, but I have really long arms. The bench is just murder for me. You have to move the weight through such a longer range of motion.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:03 AM   #10
Liquid Courage
The 4th Amigo

for a synopsis of which big name MOCKers relative quality, click here: http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...scorecard.html

or if you'd like a summary . . . mock drafts are awful predictors of what will actually transpire and any validity or credibility placed upon them should be done at your own peril. but boy, they sure are fun!!
Liquid Courage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:14 AM   #11
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
the bench is a very sketchy way to tell the strength on a prospect. it doesn't factor in the added difficulty of the repetitions with a guy with longer arms. you see guys with 7ft wing spans crapping out relatively quickly on the bench while guys with shorter wing spans can toss up gawdy numbers on the bench.

look at Clady, he has incredibly long arms and at the combine only put up 24 on the bench

Yeah, but I don't think Dan Williams has a 7ft wing span. He should have been able to do more then he did. But on that note, technique, leverage and smarts can easily make up for a little lack of strength.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:28 AM   #12
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Yeah, but I don't think Dan Williams has a 7ft wing span. He should have been able to do more then he did. But on that note, technique, leverage and smarts can easily make up for a little lack of strength.
good point. with the bench i just tend to think of it like the 40. it is an overrated point of emphasis at the combine.

you always see these guys have great combines and raise their stock and then prove to be nothing more than workout warriors but rather pedestrian football players. i still say the best thing to go off of when looking into a prospect is game film.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:47 AM   #13
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
good point. with the bench i just tend to think of it like the 40. it is an overrated point of emphasis at the combine.

you always see these guys have great combines and raise their stock and then prove to be nothing more than workout warriors but rather pedestrian football players. i still say the best thing to go off of when looking into a prospect is game film.
I was crucified in these august pages for saying that a measured second of straight ahead speed was not of much importance. I said that a 4.5 40 was not any more important or predictive of playing status than a 4.6 40 for on-field play. Being a "football player" will overcome some physical shortcomings and even be more preferable to the workout warriars. I remember Paul
Smith who would fall on his arse running the "tires", but he could play the game.........
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:09 AM   #14
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
I was crucified in these august pages for saying that a measured second of straight ahead speed was not of much importance. I said that a 4.5 40 was not any more important or predictive of playing status than a 4.6 40 for on-field play. Being a "football player" will overcome some physical shortcomings and even be more preferable to the workout warriars. I remember Paul
Smith who would fall on his arse running the "tires", but he could play the game.........
exactly. if you truly think about it, there are very few instances where any runner is in a situation where he has to run all out in a straight line.

the only drills I really take into consideration as having any merit in the combine are the position drills, where a guy is tested in correspondence with the position they play and the skills that position needs are emphasized and the shuttle runs and the 3 cone drill.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:22 AM   #15
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm in favor of taking the BPA at #11, so I don't care the position. If it's Bryant, I'm ok with that. I'd rather get a guy at #11 who can make an impact than just a guy who fills a need and just another guy on the team.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:41 AM   #16
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Bryant: Lelie, Part Deux
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:42 AM   #17
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
I'm in favor of taking the BPA at #11, so I don't care the position. If it's Bryant, I'm ok with that. I'd rather get a guy at #11 who can make an impact than just a guy who fills a need and just another guy on the team.
i say unless we in the coming weeks address the interior line for our offense we better end draft weekend with Iupati
Old 03-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #18
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:

And he thought the other two would turn out to be football Gods. He was wrong to a point. Cutler was superior athletically. So superior it allowed him to fool people into thinking he would be great. Nobody could have predicted the ten cent head.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:37 AM   #19
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowspot66 View Post
And he thought the other two would turn out to be football Gods. He was wrong to a point. Cutler was superior athletically. So superior it allowed him to fool people into thinking he would be great. Nobody could have predicted the ten cent head.
Why not?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #20
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Why not?
When he came out of college all anybody saw was a kid on a ****ty team trying his best (and doing well statistically) and he came from a school that valued school more than football. He said and did all the right things. How do you possibly predict he would go the route of Jeff George? The kid may pull it around but I doubt it.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote