The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2010, 12:55 AM   #1
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default Arrelious Benn (WR) at pick #45

Before I go into making a case for picking Benn, doing so would only be the scenario should BM sign with another team and thus giving us an extra 1st round pick. How high the pick is or if we traded down to acquire additional picks, well that's another story. I fully want and expect the Broncos to use their 2 first rounders to address the OL and DL.

But when we get to the 2nd round and pick #44 comes up, I believe this kid will be sitting there and it would be a great pick in my opinion.

Arrelious Benn (WR) - 6'2 225
College: Illinois

Benn didn't exactly have the greatest stats at Illinois but it was hardly his fault. The team went 3-9 his last season there so this is a guy where you have to dig deeper, past the stats, to find out what he could bring to an NFL team.

Strength: NFL body, plays angry and aggressive, strong hands, talented route runner who can make quick cuts, fantastic YAC ability, can run the end-around, can return kicks, can catch balls over the middle, top notch blocking for a WR. Very strong, putting up 20 reps at the combine. Can make an immediate impact in the NFL on special teams with his combination of strength, speed and agressive mentality. Does not fear contact and really put it to many of the Safeties and Cornerbacks at the combine. A fantastic and powerful athelete.

Weakness: Limited statistical production, lacks top notch straight-line speed.

40 Time: 4.48 seconds

Summary: Many reports have Benn listed as a late 1st or high 2nd round pick, but do to some slips and dropped passes at the combine, along with his limited stats, he might fall to the middle or lower 2nd round. While he may not be what some consider an electric, dazzling or flashy WR, he certainly brings some other intagibles and has a more well rounded complete game then alot of other WR's in this draft. He is what many like to refer to as "a football player".

My Take: I see this guy as a perfect fit in McD's system. A talented WR who will do anything for you. Has the size and power to be an excellent blocker and won't be easily pushed or jammed by the larger CB's or Safeties. He has tremoundous YAC skills and quick or bubble screens to him would be right up his alley. While he doesn't have amazing straight ahead speed, he does have good speed and cuts very sharp and combining that with his size and power, I fully expect he could create separation and get open. We all know the failure rate of drafting WR's in the 1st round so getting this type of guy in the 2nd round, I think would be a nice move. And you just gotta love a WR that has arms and legs like he has and can still run in the 4.4 range, and he can return kicks/punts so he could contribute right away on special teams as he learns the offense.

Watch the whole thing, you will love the play at the end.

Alright - let the flame wars begin, lol.

Last edited by ZONA; 03-10-2010 at 11:04 AM..
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2010, 01:39 AM   #2
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

If Marshall were to sign elsewhere I'd love to take this kid at 44. I'd be real pissed if he were there and we let him slide.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:42 AM   #3
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Juice Williams didn't do him any favors this past year.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:47 AM   #4
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Yeah. He wasn't the problem, it was his supporting cast.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:19 AM   #5
Drek
Ring of Famer

Like I said when I took him for the Rams in the OM Mock draft, he reminds me a lot of Anquan Boldin.

Attacks the ball wit his hands, then looks up field and attacks the opposing secondary. The only big problem with him is his lack of polish on route running. He's a willing blocker with solid fundamentals there from what I've seen and he's the only guy who gives Dez Bryant a run for his money in this class as far as catching the ball away from his body and going up to get it when needed, but he's very inconsistent on his routes.

I think he'd be a great fit for us if he's there in the 2nd round assuming Marshall has moved on. We'd probably want him to take a reduced role his first year behind Gaffney while he gets that extra bit of polish to his game, but then he should be poised to break out as a sophomore replacing Gaffney on the short to intermediate routes we fed Marshall the ball on all this past season. Hopefully by then we've developed an offense with a legit deep threat and brought Royal's performance back up to '08 standards or better with him working out of the slot.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:08 AM   #6
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Like I said when I took him for the Rams in the OM Mock draft, he reminds me a lot of Anquan Boldin.

Attacks the ball wit his hands, then looks up field and attacks the opposing secondary. The only big problem with him is his lack of polish on route running. He's a willing blocker with solid fundamentals there from what I've seen and he's the only guy who gives Dez Bryant a run for his money in this class as far as catching the ball away from his body and going up to get it when needed, but he's very inconsistent on his routes.

I think he'd be a great fit for us if he's there in the 2nd round assuming Marshall has moved on. We'd probably want him to take a reduced role his first year behind Gaffney while he gets that extra bit of polish to his game, but then he should be poised to break out as a sophomore replacing Gaffney on the short to intermediate routes we fed Marshall the ball on all this past season. Hopefully by then we've developed an offense with a legit deep threat and brought Royal's performance back up to '08 standards or better with him working out of the slot.
in theory with a decent TC and if he has that desire to learn from the vets and get better, there would be no reason why we couldn't trot out a starting trio of receivers with Gaffney and Benn wide and Royal working from the slot.

and when we bring in a TE and have only 2 WR on the field make those guys Gaffney and Royal
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:27 AM   #7
long beach bronco
Ring of Famer

"I'm your Huckleberry"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

He looks real good in orange, doesn't he?
long beach bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:11 AM   #8
Cool Breeze
Ring of Famer

Broncos Rock!

Damn Good!
Cool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:25 AM   #9
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

kid looks the part...he looks like a beast out there...I do agree, this kid would look great on our team...thumbs up
broncswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:51 AM   #10
Chief Macho
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I don't see him being available at that pick. He is a prospect.
Chief Macho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:21 AM   #11
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Just a point of order - Brandon Marshall isn't really a "great" route runner. His strength is catching the difficult catches in traffic and YAC. Sometimes, Brandon even lets himself get beat on slants when he's frustrated.

High character, hard working athletes. Keep 'em coming and we'll have a great team. However, the Guard and Center positions seem the most important to me. Give Orton another second in the pocket and our intermediate passing game will look much better, even if we were starting Gaffney and Royal.
cmhargrove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:34 AM   #12
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Just a point of order - Brandon Marshall isn't really a "great" route runner. His strength is catching the difficult catches in traffic and YAC. Sometimes, Brandon even lets himself get beat on slants when he's frustrated.

High character, hard working athletes. Keep 'em coming and we'll have a great team. However, the Guard and Center positions seem the most important to me. Give Orton another second in the pocket and our intermediate passing game will look much better, even if we were starting Gaffney and Royal.
agreed. if a QB has protection he will make due with any receiver he has. look at Indy. Peyton's line gives him time to run through his reads and make good throws. He turned 2 late round guys last season into pretty damn good receivers.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:51 AM   #13
illbroncsfn
Ring of Famer

adopt a bronco- Barrel Man's Barrel

I am an Illini season ticket holder- ever since "Rejus" Benn arrived in Champaign as a freshman it has been readily apparent that he is "Sunday-good."

Nice young man, says the right things, works hard, but tends to suffer from what one may describe as "bad luck"- seems as if he is constantly getting nicked up, rolling ankles, suffering head shots-being concussed....

You can not be a "Prime-time" player if you are not on the field..... I would rather address our o-line than draft Arrelious Benn at #44- I just believe that we would receive better value at that pick....
illbroncsfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:55 AM   #14
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Personally I don't want to see any of our top 3 picks used on a WR or RB as some here are advocating. I'm hoping we go some combo of DL, OL, and LB with those picks unless somebody really drops that we can't pass up, particularly at the QB position. I want this team to start developing some youth for the trenches.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:59 AM   #15
illbroncsfn
Ring of Famer

adopt a bronco- Barrel Man's Barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Juice Williams didn't do him any favors this past year.
And yes that is very true. Juice struggled completing swing passes...
illbroncsfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:17 AM   #16
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Thats my favorite receiver in the draft. I would love to get him in the second now that we have our d-line solidified!
Bigdawg26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:30 AM   #17
Crashman44b
"Tough aint enough"

"on the gas and in your @#$"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Buckhalter

Good find. If the kid went to USC or Texas he would prolly be in the top 15 or better
Crashman44b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:35 AM   #18
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Pretty good looking WR. Size, speed, able to break tackles. This is someone I could see us spending a 2nd on.
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:47 AM   #19
want2bAbronco2
Pro Bowler

Ive looked at this kid a few times and would really like him. Good post, and would love to see him continue wearing orange!
want2bAbronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:50 AM   #20
want2bAbronco2
Pro Bowler

for not having "elite" top speed, you see him making lots of 30+ yard plays, and kicks it into gear to get past people really quick.
want2bAbronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:51 AM   #21
meangene
Ring of Famer

I agee that the second round is about right for us to look for a receiver if Marshall is gone. I don't think Benn will be there when we pick, however. He is arguably the second best receiver in this draft and no worse than third. I do think there will be some good value at receiver when we pick in the second and could see us going that route. Price from Ohio could be a sleeper.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:54 AM   #22
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Honestly I'd like to see us get a 6'4 - 6'5 WR with good hands, good YAC capabilities and a super hard work ethic to replace Marshall. (pretty much sounds like another Marshall... only a harder work ethic)

Arrelious didn't really impress me that much in the video. I saw people bringing him down easy, at the beginning especially.

The ending one was really good though.

Remember too... this is college. The angles and tackling at the next level increases substantially.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:25 AM   #23
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

He is being compared to Braylon Edwards. In fact walterfootball.com calls him Edwards 2.0 because he drops a lot of passes. I would rather draft this weapon in the second round....

He would be awesome in the bubble screen O.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:27 AM   #24
crush17
"Born A Broncos Fan"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rick Upchurch

Benn will not be available at 44.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:32 AM   #25
Fusionfrontman
Perennial Pro-bowler

Great points on both side of the arguement. He does remind me of Boldin a lot but I will say this, he does have a secon gear for a guy running 4.48. After he catches it, he tends to flat out fly. He does remind me a little of Marshall where his route running is not great, and excels at yards after the catch, which makes me continue to say, do everything to KEEP BM since he is proven and all of these prospects that have a similiar build as BM, and compare to him have not done anything while Marshall has!

Either way, I don't think we can spend a 2nd on him, but if he fell to the 3rd I'd be very temped. VERY. Great post.

BTW... Benn has a SICK stiffarm. Guy was hurting people out there.
Fusionfrontman is offline   Reply With Quote