The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2010, 05:39 AM   #1
chex
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Troubled Marshall not worth gamble

From The News tribune...

Exploring every possible opportunity to improve your roster amounts to due diligence for new management striving to rebuild a struggling NFL franchise.

But trying to do it with the likes of Brandon Marshall would be inviting headaches, risks and potential public-relations nightmares in exchange for questionable gains.

Aside from being a distracting malcontent with the Denver Broncos, Marshall’s history of arrests includes disorderly conduct, drunken driving, and, most alarmingly, a number of incidents of alleged domestic violence … with two different women.

I don’t care how talented this guy is, or how badly the Seahawks need a receiver, or how many of the charges against him have been dropped, this much involvement with domestic-violence charges should be an absolute non-negotiable deal-breaker from the start.

Seahawks: You looked him over, now let him be somebody else’s problem.

The Seahawks have not made an offer for the restricted free agent, but they did invite him up for a visit last weekend. At the least, it means they’re considering surrendering the first-round draft pick it would take to get him from the Broncos – a team that has grown weary of his antics.

Deposed Seahawks president Tim Ruskell placed primacy on character when acquiring players. As the team slipped to nine wins in the past two seasons, it was easy to criticize Ruskell for going too far in search of Eagle Scouts.

With coach Pete Carroll and general manager John Schneider now in charge, it’s obvious Ruskell’s character mandate is no longer the first criterion when shopping for talent.

The notion these are the “new” Seahawks was reinforced Monday with reports that long-time back-up quarterback Seneca Wallace had been traded to Cleveland, to be reunited with his old coach, Mike Holmgren, who now runs the Browns franchise.

While Marshall is a player with three consecutive 100-catch seasons, he also has been suspended by both the NFL and the Broncos for his behavior.

ESPN’s “Outside the Lines” program did a detailed report on Marshall’s issues with a long-time girlfriend, digging up police reports of seven cases of alleged domestic violence. Some involved dueling reports, and in most cases charges weren’t pressed.

Almost all are disputed, and nobody can be certain what went on behind closed doors, but there are frightening 911 tapes that appear to tell of violent episodes involving Marshall. Search YouTube for the full accounts.

He was arrested in 2007 and charged with false imprisonment and domestic violence, charges which were dropped after he completed an anger-management class.

Just a bad relationship with one woman?

Last March he and another woman, his fiancée, were arrested after a public fight in which several witnesses, including an off-duty policeman, reported seeing them “kicking and punching each other.” The case was dismissed. But that doesn’t look like managed anger.

He also was on hand for the New Year’s Day 2007 altercation that led to the fatal shooting of teammate Darrent Williams.

Some fans will be more interested in his ability to catch the ball and help the team win games. I’m not convinced of that, either.

As Marshall pulled in 307 catches the past three seasons, Denver went 23-25 and never made the playoffs.

You also might find some enlightening video on-line showing Marshall’s disruptive behavior during Broncos’ practice, where his pouting and petulance had to divert the focus of everybody on the field. This is not a guy who is going to put the needs of the team anywhere near the top of his own agenda.

There are several connections between Marshall and the new Seahawks staff. Offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates and quarterback coach Jedd Fisch previously were on the Denver staff. They must see value in at least taking a look at Marshall.

Carroll, though, will be the man making the decision on Marshall. As I researched a recent feature story on Carroll, I was impressed by his genuine efforts to help those who work to rehabilitate criminal offenders.

This is a coach for whom second-chances and human redemption are not just talk. This might make Carroll the coach in the league best suited to face the challenges Marshall presents.

But Marshall has had a number of chances already. He’s not worth the risk.

The Seahawks did not make him an offer before he left. Good. Here’s hoping he doesn’t come back.

Dave Boling: 253-597-8440

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2010/0...th-gamble.html
chex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2010, 05:50 AM   #2
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I wouldn't give up a high draft choice and a big money contract to Marshall. Not until he can go a season or two without stupid mistakes and problems.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:12 AM   #3
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

But but but..... it's all about the play on the field. All that other stuff doesn't factor in... Brandon Marshall has all the risk!!!

Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:18 AM   #4
Paladin
Ring of Famer

I hope he can read that article. Do you think his agent did? How honest with him do you think the agent would be? If he was offered for a conditional 2nd, he'd be gone, IF the new team wrote a contract that would protect the teams' finances.
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:28 AM   #5
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
But but but..... it's all about the play on the field. All that other stuff doesn't factor in... Brandon Marshall has all the risk!!!

Yeah, no kidding. Reality is now slapping down such opinions......hard.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:51 AM   #6
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

People that thought BM was going to get #6 were living in fantasy, those who thought he was worth a 1 and 3 were insane.

We will get the #14, conditional.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:58 AM   #7
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Good..I want Marshall to play in Denver.
Screw Mcd and his draft picks
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:10 AM   #8
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post

I don't think anybody here has ever said his playing on the field trumps his problems off the field.
At least that's what it sounds like you're trying to imply.

Marshall is what, 25?
He's got ways to go before he can mature. Staying out of trouble would be a nice start.
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:18 AM   #9
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
I don't think anybody here has ever said his playing on the field trumps his problems off the field.
At least that's what it sounds like you're trying to imply.

Marshall is what, 25?
He's got ways to go before he can mature. Staying out of trouble would be a nice start.
Please, Rasta has been saying it for the last year.
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:22 AM   #10
Dukes
Ring of Famer

*Waiting for Rasta to come in here and make a joke of himself defending Marshall
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:32 AM   #11
bfoflcommish
Time for Broncos Football

GO..........BRONCOS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukes View Post
*Waiting for Rasta to come in here and make a joke of himself defending Marshall
I swear I can never read a single one of your posts...good god who is in your avy!
bfoflcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:42 AM   #12
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Me likes Boobies
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:44 AM   #13
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Clearly it's an opinion piece. It's fluff with little substance.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:45 AM   #14
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoflcommish View Post
I swear I can never read a single one of your posts...good god who is in your avy!
Good thing I don't post that much
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:04 AM   #15
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
People that thought BM was going to get #6 were living in fantasy, those who thought he was worth a 1 and 3 were insane.

Conditional on what? The number of starts he has by the time the draft rolls around?
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:23 AM   #16
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Should we review all the Chicago articles that were written about Cutler not being worth it for the Bears prior to him being traded?

I still think Seattle ends up with him.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:24 AM   #17
bfoflcommish
Time for Broncos Football

GO..........BRONCOS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukes View Post
good thing i don't post that much ;d
how is that a good thing?
bfoflcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:34 AM   #18
TheDave
Sauced...

I have this terrible feeling someone like the Jets will sign him about 2 weeks before the draft...
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:39 AM   #19
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Teams have the same problem as Denver.

Getting BM signed without big guarantees..........with a potential lockout looming as well.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:23 AM   #20
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post

So how does that work Mock?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:26 AM   #21
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
I have this terrible feeling someone like the Jets will sign him about 2 weeks before the draft...
The Jets are the one team I could actually see doing this. A legit contender that could use a top tier WR and doesn't have many other glaring needs to fill in the draft. I suppose you could try to make a case for Minnesota, Dallas and maybe even New England but the Jets make the most sense.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #22
Caligula
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

So this opinion piece is not considered fact?

The problem is, McD didn't help the matters last year with his public airing of the dirty laundry between he and Marshall. Now everyone knows that Denver will get rid of Marshall. ITs completely taken away from the value. No one is falling for McD's "we'll just play with him if the value isn't right" speel. No one believes it, because its obviously BS. McD completely ruined the value of any trade last season, and now will have to accept lower value for him.... probably a 2nd.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #23
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Sheffter is an idiot.

His assertion that they would give up a 6th is allready proven nonsense, we had a whole debate about it allready.

We had people debating if he was BPA! For 60M? **** me!

He's worth 15m/60 over 5.

GET A CLUE:

The owners are allready in lockdown mode.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:36 AM   #24
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula View Post

The problem is, McD didn't help the matters last year with his public airing of the dirty laundry between he and Marshall. Now everyone knows that Denver will get rid of Marshall. ITs completely taken away from the value. No one is falling for McD's "we'll just play with him if the value isn't right" speel. No one believes it, because its obviously BS. McD completely ruined the value of any trade last season, and now will have to accept lower value for him.... probably a 2nd.
....or just keep him.

I've seen nothing to indicate that the Broncos want to trade BM.....the tender is looking more like a way to set a realistic market value for him.
The 9.5 mill per year Denver offered is probably beginning to look pretty good to BM right now.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:38 AM   #25
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula View Post

Beavis is an idiot.