The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES

Default Golf advice

So let me fill you in on some background information first.

Ages 5-15 didnt play much, few times a year.

Age 15-18 On varsity golf team at a private high school. Not a great player freshman and sophomore years, but junior and senior years was pretty good (single digit handicap) We had our personal golf coach, and played so much golf our hands would bleed.........36 holes every day except sunday from june throuch october and 500 range balls on sundays.

In the last tournament of my senior year tore my rotator cuff trying to blast a shot out from an overhanging tree (yes i got injured in golf dont laugh)

didnt play much the next two years.......busy with college and stuff.

Got back into it the following two years........hovered around a 15 hc.

then i havent played for years and last year really got into it hardcore. I work from 130-930 pm so during the summer i would get 9 holes in every morning at our local muni course. struggled off and on.........would shoot great rounds under par, then the next time out shoot 15 over.

I hit the ball a long way........300+ driver, PW 150

But i noticed everything, especially the drives are pushing way right. No slice, straight but to the extreme right. (bad enough that i usually ended up on the other fairway)

I took a few private lessons to get that corrected.......but by correcting my swing, it made everything else suffer (distance, short game, etc...)

Now this year i start off at the driving range with 2 large buckets every day. Same freaking thing........300 yards, straight, just extreme right.

I went back to the video anaylsis and focused on doing what i was doing before when i had the problem, but it seems to be something else because im not doing what i was doing, yet its still going right.

I live in cleveland, so we have 8 months out of the year where golf isn't possible.....

My question is, do you think private lessons are worth it? Seems like im wasting my money because every 8 month offseason i lose whatever i had the year before from not playing for so long.

I usually bring my video cam with me and set it up behind me at the range....... i jsut cant seem to figure out what the problem is.

or i guess better yet, are there any online sites you guys know of that could give tips for me, all the ones ive come across are for newbie golfers.

if anyone lives in the ohio area, is a good golfer, let me know........maybe we can go out sometime and maybe you will be able to see my problem.

on another note........... if OM weekend is early this year, how many of you guys would be interested in getting a small outing put together. Could be fun!
PaintballCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer

I wouldn't.
Lev Vyvanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
JJJ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Posture, alignment, and steady head. My three swing keys to a better golf.

Posture: Bend your knees, stick out your butt, and straighten your back. You cannot make a proper golf swing with a hunch in your back. Bend those knees. Important to be in an athletic position. It should almost feel like you are sticking your ass out too far.

Alignment: Most people naturally align themselves too far to the right. Make sure to pick out a target a few yards in front of the ball.

Steady head: Don't lock your head in place but try to keep it as quiet as possible. I have found a lot of my problems come from too much up and down motion. Keeping the head still emphasizes rotation around your core.

This assumes there is no problem with your grip.

My pro I only work with 3 or 4 times a year got these fixed for me and it has changed everything for me. If he doesn't work on your grip, posture, and alignment first he is not worth his salt as a pro.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I have found that my best golf usually happens when I take a half 8th of shrooms on the front nine and another half 8th on the back. If you are feeling risky, P-Funkin' it down the course is never a bad option. Have someone sober drive the cart and avoid the bunkers at all cost.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Aim way left.

I kid. Take an 8 iron and do half swings, I mean from belt high to belt high. All you should be using is your wrists. Relax the lower body with bent knees and let the swing shift your weight. Concentrate on "slamming the gate," that is, using your hands to square the club face at impact. You should be chipping out about a hundred yards. Keep doing it until you can feel your forearms relax and start turning over naturally behind your wrists. The ball should be going straight out to the same spot. When you've got it grooved, take it to your full swing. Voila!

The key is to take the stress out of the forearms.

Or just eat a bunch of 'shrooms like Req says and then, who gives a ****? Enter the world of Seamus MacDuff and Shivas Irons.

See the ball... be the ball... ffp ffp ffp

Last edited by Rohirrim; 03-08-2010 at 08:31 PM..
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I have found that my best golf usually happens when I take a half 8th of shrooms on the front nine and another half 8th on the back. If you are feeling risky, P-Funkin' it down the course is never a bad option. Have someone sober drive the cart and avoid the bunkers at all cost.
I would.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

All I can say is be the ball Danny. And the best advice I can give to attempt and be other things is try drugs. Never failed me yet and I'm graduating college this year. I do things way better when I'm on drugs.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #8
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer

Quote:
All I can say is be the ball Danny. And the best advice I can give to attempt and be other things is try drugs. Never failed me yet and I'm graduating college this year. I do things way better when I'm on drugs.
Your next goal should be a political office.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:39 PM   #9
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Hey, already been there and done that but at a school level. Actually I got elected being a write-in on the ballot over kids who were actually on it. Have no idea how that happens, I just must be a cool guy. Don't know if a future in politics is really in the making. Politics is sad and depressing and I do not like that sort of thing. I want to teach people and help them learn and stuff. I have a soul even though I am a ginger. Hard to believe, but not many gingers are politicians.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:43 PM   #10
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Hey, already been there and done that but at a school level. Actually I got elected being a write-in on the ballot over kids who were actually on it. Have no idea how that happens, I just must be a cool guy. Don't know if a future in politics is really in the making. Politics is sad and depressing and I do not like that sort of thing. I want to teach people and help them learn and stuff. I have a soul even though I am a ginger. Hard to believe, but not many gingers are politicians.
Didn't know you were a ginger. My bad.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #11
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

They don't have indoor ranges in Cleveland?
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:57 PM   #12
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinCitiesBronco View Post
They don't have indoor ranges in Cleveland?
there is one not to far away..........and the outdoor ones do have heated stalls.........but i only like hitting of grass........ruins your clubs/shot hitting off those mats
PaintballCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:01 PM   #13
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lev Vyvanse View Post
Didn't know you were a ginger. My bad.
Well more day-walkerish. I am proud of being representative of Neanderthal admixture in the human genome.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #14
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Doesn't matter how you do it as long as the club face is square at impact and stays square till the ball leaves the club.
It could be lot of things and a pro should be able to pick up on it. You are right it's not a slice it's a push, should be easy to fix if you can identify it. A friend I golf with was pushing the ball and I noticed the center of his chest was aimed down the ball fight path. He started completing his turn and aiming his breast bone down the fairway and started hitting it straight. If I was guessing, I would start with your wrists are you leaving them open and not squaring the club face?
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:38 PM   #15
chaz
highly touted recruit

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton

Hard to say without seeing your swing...could be your hips getting ahead of your hands or a number of other things. I'm by no means a master technician but I can usually help buddies tweak things.

Not sure if you've looked at these sites yet...You have to weed through the beginner tips, but there's a lot of stuff I've found helpful on here (last summer I worked on shaping my shots a lot and these two gave me a lot of tips)

http://www.pga.com/instruction/

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/golf-instruction/?hj=xfs (use the lesson finder on the right)

Last edited by chaz; 03-08-2010 at 09:40 PM..
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #16
chaz
highly touted recruit

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Take an 8 iron and do half swings, I mean from belt high to belt high. All you should be using is your wrists. Relax the lower body with bent knees and let the swing shift your weight. Concentrate on "slamming the gate," that is, using your hands to square the club face at impact. You should be chipping out about a hundred yards. Keep doing it until you can feel your forearms relax and start turning over naturally behind your wrists. The ball should be going straight out to the same spot. When you've got it grooved, take it to your full swing. Voila!

The key is to take the stress out of the forearms.

Or just eat a bunch of 'shrooms like Req says and then, who gives a ****? Enter the world of Seamus MacDuff and Shivas Irons.

See the ball... be the ball... ffp ffp ffp
Not sure I agree here. If your swing starts with your wrists cocking that could be part of the problem.
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:04 PM   #17
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBleed Orange and Blue View Post
I live in cleveland, so we have 8 months out of the year where golf isn't possible.....

My question is, do you think private lessons are worth it? Seems like im wasting my money because every 8 month offseason i lose whatever i had the year before from not playing for so long.
8 months?

I live in Ohio and you can easily play from April up through some nice days in October....that is 7 months of playable weather.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:43 AM   #18
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

The dreaded push, I used to have that problem too. A few different things can cause it so it's hard to say what your exact problem is but mine was from swinging way too hard and my hips pushed forward some rather then just simply turning, which then made my hands get in front of the ball before they turned over. Result, a push. I finally got it through my thick skull to quit trying to kill the damn ball and let the club to the work.

A great tip I once got from a buddy who was an excellet driver of the ball (he shot a 71 at Pebble last year so he's good) was this. He had me get out the driver and go to a large flat putting green and practice super long puts with the driver. Not sure exactly how it helped me but I think it was just getting used to sweeping the club face square. When you hit a driver and it lands 250 or 300 yard away, sometimes it's hard to say just how accurate you were. But when you are aiming for a small cup in the ground, you can tell how good or badly you had your clubface squared at impact very easily. Once I started getting those long putts close with the driver, it definitely helped me hit straighter on the full driver swings.

It may not work for you but it sure helped me.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:10 AM   #19
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

If your driving 300, your probably lifting off your heels. Keep you head steady and let the club do the work.

The rough is another story.Turn inside out and expect the slice.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:51 AM   #20
toad
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Clark

Ball starts right (ie. push for right-handed players) = swing path coming too far from the inside with no clubhead release. Basically a push or pull that stays straight in that direction is a result of club path.

Ball starts straight and curves right (ie. slice, cut, fade) = face angle open at address (usually coupled with an over-the-top/out-to-in swing). Essentially if the ball starts straight but curves its usually a result of face angle.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:18 AM   #21
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
Posture, alignment, and steady head. My three swing keys to a better golf.

Posture: Bend your knees, stick out your butt, and straighten your back. You cannot make a proper golf swing with a hunch in your back. Bend those knees. Important to be in an athletic position. It should almost feel like you are sticking your ass out too far.

Alignment: Most people naturally align themselves too far to the right. Make sure to pick out a target a few yards in front of the ball.

Steady head: Don't lock your head in place but try to keep it as quiet as possible. I have found a lot of my problems come from too much up and down motion. Keeping the head still emphasizes rotation around your core.

This assumes there is no problem with your grip.

My pro I only work with 3 or 4 times a year got these fixed for me and it has changed everything for me. If he doesn't work on your grip, posture, and alignment first he is not worth his salt as a pro.
I agree with all of this, but you might also try a quick fix that my golf pro buddy told me.

First, (I'm assuming you're right-handed) with your left hand make sure your thumb is on way inside your right cover hand. Your left thumb should run right up the top crease in your right hand when you cover. I'm not sure how to explain that properly, but I think that pretty well covers it.

Then, on your follow through the ball, think about rolling your hands over to the left.

Worked like a charm for me. I hit the ball better than ever now.

Sorry about living in Cleveland. That sucks.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:33 AM   #22
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Yeah. It sounds like a grip problem that could be causing the push. However, I shouldn't be giving golf advice. I push it and pull it on a regular basis. Bottom line though the club face it open at impact.

Thanks for the posts gents. There is good advice in this thread.

Last edited by Garcia Bronco; 03-09-2010 at 05:35 AM..
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:55 AM   #23
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Not sure I agree here. If your swing starts with your wrists cocking that could be part of the problem.
Actually Rohirrim is more correct here. If you're wrists aren't getting set on the takeaway the club and arms have a tendency to go straight back which pulls the arms away from the body on the backswing (a common thing when people are trying for more distance). Tiger does this all the time.

When the arms drift out from the body going back they tend to collapse into the body coming down. Particularly with better players who drive with their legs. When the arms collapse the club drops way inside. The ball can only go two directions from there: straight right, or a sweeping hook.

Focus on getting your wrists set, and the club will work around the body like it's supposed to and release through the ball like it's supposed to.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:04 AM   #24
CEH
Ring of Famer

www.JeffRitterGOlf.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/jritter5 (Instruction)

One plane golf instructor . Sweetest swing I've seen since Ernie Els

Has a ton of short fix it videos on Youtube

Really tough without seeing you swing and swing plane.

My guess A push means you are not getting the club back around to the left (for a righty). Think of a pull hitter in baseball really getting your left side all the way around

There are no straight lines in golf unless you are Moe Norman
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:39 AM   #25
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
Actually Rohirrim is more correct here. If you're wrists aren't getting set on the takeaway the club and arms have a tendency to go straight back which pulls the arms away from the body on the backswing (a common thing when people are trying for more distance). Tiger does this all the time.

When the arms drift out from the body going back they tend to collapse into the body coming down. Particularly with better players who drive with their legs. When the arms collapse the club drops way inside. The ball can only go two directions from there: straight right, or a sweeping hook.

Focus on getting your wrists set, and the club will work around the body like it's supposed to and release through the ball like it's supposed to.
Yep. But the key is the tension in the forearms which is what causes a lot of people to throw their arms out away from the body. Tom Watson always said that forearm tension was a swing killer.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote