The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock
Default Corrent me if I'm wrong...

But it seems to me there's a big misunderstanding about RFA tenders, so maybe I'm wrong. You can't just sign someone to an offer sheet, the player has to sign the tender, right?
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Yes........
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:07 PM   #3
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Corrent?...

Nope a player doesn't have to sign his tender.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:09 PM   #4
ayjackson
Pro Bowler

Not so new to the forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
But it seems to me there's a big misunderstanding about RFA tenders, so maybe I'm wrong. You can't just sign someone to an offer sheet, the player has to sign the tender, right?
Are you trying to confuse me more? I'd think a player can sign an offer sheet or the tender, but not both.
ayjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAV View Post
Corrent?...

Nope a player doesn't have to sign his tender.
If they don't sign, they sit out the season.
Lev Vyvanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayjackson View Post
are you trying to confuse me more? I'd think a player can sign an offer sheet or the tender, but not both.
+1
Old 03-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

This question came out of the Dumervil thread, where people were asking why some team hadn't just signed him to a offer sheet yet, and it sounded like people were accounting for the fact that players can say no.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #8
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Restricted Free Agents (RFA)

A Restricted Free Agent is an NFL player who is not under contract, but has only three years of NFL experience. The signing period for restricted free agents begins on March 2 and concludes on April 15. If his previous team has made him a Qualifying Offer, then that team has a right of first refusal on the player. This means the player may negotiate with other teams and receive an offer, however the previous team may agree to the offer that the player has received, in which case the player stays with his former team. Of course there are lots of games played, the prospective new team will attempt to structure the offer so that it is very unpalatable to the new team. For example, a team with a lot of cap room can offer a large salary and small signing bonus which is difficult for another team to match. Or a team with a very bad record can offer a large bonus based on winning 10 games, which would be unlikely to be earned on the new team but perhaps likely to be earned on the original team, thus making the offer have a large cap number.

There are three levels of Qualifying Offer. Each level has an associated salary which is part of the CBA. In 2005 the three qualifying offer levels are $656,000, $1.43M, and $1.9M.

If the team offers the player the lowest qualifying salary, then that's the player's salary if he gets no offers in free agency. If he gets an offer, his current team has a choice: they can match the offer exactly, or they can let the player go, in which case they will get a draft pick from the new team which is the same as the draft pick they used to get the player. If the player was selected in the 6th round, then the old team gets the new team's 6th round draft pick in the next year. If the player was undrafted, the old team gets no draft pick.

If the team offers the player the middle level salary, then that's the player's salary if he gets no offers. If he gets an offer, then the old team can match the offer. If they do not, then the old team gets a 1st round draft pick from the new team.

If the team offers the player the top level qualifying offer, then that's the player's salary if he gets no offers. If the old team does not match an offer, then they get a 1st round and a 3rd round draft pick from the new team.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #9
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

A player can sign an offer sheet OR they can sign a tender. They can't do both.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #10
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer

Quote:
This question came out of the Dumervil thread, where people were asking why some team hadn't just signed him to a offer sheet yet, and it sounded like people were accounting for the fact that players can say no.
The offer sheet is the new contract the player would have with the new team. If that is true a player can always say no to a contract.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #11
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:

Well teams would have to give up a 1st and a 3rd this year.

Just looking at Marshall and his first round tender, it seems teams would rather work a deal than just give up the first rounder.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #12
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
A player can sign an offer sheet OR they can sign a tender. They can't do both.
Yup.

Player either gets a offer and signs his name and his old team can match the offer or take the picks.

But if the player gets no offer and isn't dealt....then he has no other option (besides holding out) but to sign his tender.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #13
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Wait, are you asking if Dumervil has to sign his tender in order to be given a new contract by the Broncos? If that's your question I don't think it really matters. I think a player can sign a new contract with their club in lieu of the tender.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:47 PM   #14
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I can't quite work out all the legal mumbojumbo, but there are some rules to this thing:

The team can downgrade any RFA tender to a right of first refusal tender until June 15th, after that the tender remains fixed.

RFAs can only be signed to offer sheets up to April the 17th, after that they can not be approached unless the prior club rescinds the tender.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:45 PM   #15
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

what the hell does corrent mean?
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #16
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

So, all the Hawks have to do...is wait until April 15th. At that point they can trade for Marshall.

Why sign him to an offer sheet if it means giving up the #6 pick. They'd be fools.

They would be better off waiting until after that point and then trying to low ball the Broncos with a 2nd and 3rd round offer.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:39 PM   #17
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
So, all the Hawks have to do...is wait until April 15th. At that point they can trade for Marshall.

Why sign him to an offer sheet if it means giving up the #6 pick. They'd be fools.

They would be better off waiting until after that point and then trying to low ball the Broncos with a 2nd and 3rd round offer.
That's a big gamble that none of the other 30 teams pulls the trigger either before then or offers more in a trade.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote