The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #1
KS Bronco
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steven Johnson
Default Is This Legal? Seahawks allowed to conspire?

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/357651...ts-nfl/page/2/

6. Seahawks should pull an end run around the Broncos
With the Seattle Seahawks flirting with Brandon Marshall, the Broncos are getting the word out, loud and clear: If the Seahawks want Marshall, they need to sign him to an offer sheet and be prepared to give up the sixth overall pick in the draft.

The position is more than a little donkey-headed, given that the Seahawks also hold the 14th overall pick in the draft, which Denver sent to them in 2008 for a second-round pick. With the Broncos essentially begging someone to sign Marshall to an offer sheet by tendering the restricted free agent at the first-round level only, the Broncos should be happy with any first-round pick they can get.

So here's what the Seahawks should do. They should communicate to a team such as the Saints or the Colts or anyone who picks below No. 14 the terms they'd be comfortable paying to Marshall, and the Seahawks should offer to those teams the 14th overall pick for Marshall's contract. Then, one of the teams picking below No. 14 should sign Marshall to an offer sheet.
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

It would be a lot easier for the Broncos just to take the 14th overall pick and send Marshall to Seattle. But if they refuse to relent, then the Seahawks should give some other team an easy chance to upgrade to No. 14 — and to stick the Broncos with a pick a lot lower than No. 6.
KS Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Hopefully this can get posted again today.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

197 post rule

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=89846
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
Bronco CB40
Seasoned Veteran

COKE FIEND

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dale Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Boston sucks, maggot.
Bronco CB40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:23 PM   #5
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco CB40 View Post
Boston sucks, maggot.
WTF is wrong with you?
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #6
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Boston sucks, maggot.
OK there BroncoLB52
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
bombay
Ring of Famer

My ex is from Boston, so I don't love it very much.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

thread is terrible.
crush17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:54 PM   #9
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Boston sucks, maggot.
114 post rule
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #10
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Boston sucks, maggot.
Your adopt a Bronco is Dale Carter? You stay classy!
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:44 PM   #11
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

What is the deal with the article? Why would "unbiased" media want to stick it to Denver? I don't think they really understand the way this works. If Seattle wants Marshall, they have no choice but to give up the 6. No team is going to sign and then trade him to Seattle that is Madden stuff.

Seattle, **** or get off the pot.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:47 PM   #12
crazyhorse
All Motor!!

You can only hope to contain me

How would the Broncos have a right to choose?

If they dont match the offer, then whatever 1st round pick the Seahawks want to give up qualifies, right? The only right of refusal the Broncos would have at that point is if they take the pick offered or not.
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:23 PM   #13
Crushisback
Camp fodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
How would the Broncos have a right to choose?

If they dont match the offer, then whatever 1st round pick the Seahawks want to give up qualifies, right? The only right of refusal the Broncos would have at that point is if they take the pick offered or not.
Has to be that teams original 1st round pick.
Crushisback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:31 PM   #14
crazyhorse
All Motor!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushisback View Post
Has to be that teams original 1st round pick.
I know you cant trade a comp. pick but never heard of not being able to trade a traded pick. Are you sure thats right?

If so, thats something I never knew.

So if the Broncos original pick was 6th and the Seahawks original pick was 14, then the Broncos could only get the 14th pick? So the Broncos really have no say one way or the other. They just have the right to match or not to match. The rest is goverened by the rules.

What about the fact that the 14th pick is a traded pick from the Seahawks making it in essence thier original pick?

What if they traded away the 6th pick to another team for the 5th pick. Are you saying they couldn't trade for Marshall?

Last edited by crazyhorse; 03-08-2010 at 04:40 PM..
Old 03-08-2010, 04:45 PM   #15
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp

Quote:
I know you cant trade a comp. pick but never heard of not being able to trade a traded pick. Are you sure thats right?

So if the Broncos original pick was 6th and the Seahawks original pick was 14, then the Broncos could only get the 14th pick? So the Broncos really have no say one way or the other. They just have the right to match or not to match. The rest is goverened by the rules.

What about the fact that the 14th pick is a traded pick from the Seahawks making it in essence thier original pick?

What if they traded away the 6th pick to another team for the 5th pick. Are you saying they couldn't trade for Marshall?
It's not that you can't trade a traded pick, it's that you can only pay a tender with your own original pick. The 14th pick just happening to be the Broncos pick doesn't enter into it. I don't know about your 3rd scenario.

Last edited by scorpio; 03-08-2010 at 04:48 PM..
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:47 PM   #16
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Boston sucks, maggot.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:55 PM   #17
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:

Actually it looks like it's the team's original pick or higher. From the CBA:

Quote:
… the Restricted Free Agent’s Prior Club shall receive from the New Club the Draft Choice Compensation, if any, specified in Section 2 above of this Article. Any Club that does not have available, in the upcoming Draft, the selection choice or choices (its own or better choices in the applicable rounds) needed to provide Draft Choice Compensation in the event of a timely First Refusal Exercise Notice may not sign an Offer Sheet in such circumstances.
Now what's a little confusing about that is let's say Seattle had traded away it's #6 pick and only had our #14 left. Tht's not thier own pick and it's not better than their own pick. So would they still be able to sign Marshall to an offer sheet? I can't find any documentation on it.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:57 PM   #18
crazyhorse
All Motor!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
It's not that you can't trade a traded pick, it's that you can only pay a tender with your own original pick. The 14th pick just happening to be the Broncos pick doesn't enter into it. I don't know about your 3rd scenario.
Good to know.

So I guess if they didn't have thier original 1st, they could not qualify to sign Marshall.

Under that criteria, the Broncos couldn't qualify to sign anyone, with at least a 1st round tender, to an offer sheet.

I do know that in many of these cases the team will negotiate a lesser trade. For example, Franchise tags call for 2 1sts. No team is going to have 2 original 1sts BTW. But often times they pull the tag and take less comp.

Would the Broncos have to pull the tender offer to deal with a team that didnt have thier original pick? Can you pull the tender like a tag?
Old 03-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #19
crazyhorse
All Motor!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Actually it looks like it's the team's original pick or higher. From the CBA:

Now what's a little confusing about that is let's say Seattle had traded away it's #6 pick and only had our #14 left. Tht's not thier own pick and it's not better than their own pick. So would they still be able to sign Marshall to an offer sheet? I can't find any documentation on it.
That rule would eliminate incentive for teams to trade to the end of the round and flip the pick to the tendering team. Which is reasonable.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #20
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Good to know.

So I guess if they didn't have thier original 1st, they could not qualify to sign Marshall.

Under that criteria, the Broncos couldn't qualify to sign anyone, with at least a 1st round tender, to an offer sheet.

I do know that in many of these cases the team will negotiate a lesser trade. For example, Franchise tags call for 2 1sts. No team is going to have 2 original 1sts BTW. But often times they pull the tag and take less comp.

Would the Broncos have to pull the tender offer to deal with a team that didnt have thier original pick? Can you pull the tender like a tag?

They wouldn't pull the tender offer, because that would automatically make him an unrestricted free agent. They would have to convince Brandon to sign the tender, at which point he would join their roster and they could trade him.

Again though in the CBA it says original pick or better. Not totally sure how that works, but it does mean that as long as Seattle has their 6th, that's what we would get in exchange.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:03 PM   #21
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
OK there BroncoLB52
Where would you place the over/under on how many accounts he has here? My guess is that it has to be at least 15.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #22
uplink
Ring of Famer

just take the 14th pick. Bmarsh can't say in Denver, the team leaders asked McD to suspend him for that last game per reports.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:09 PM   #23
crazyhorse
All Motor!!

Depending on whats there, the 14th might be the best fit for the Broncos. Who would you guys take at 6?
Old 03-08-2010, 05:21 PM   #24
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Where would you place the over/under on how many accounts he has here? My guess is that it has to be at least 15.
In the butt there is a thread "Broncos sign David Carr" where he shows a picture of his desktop. He is using a proxy.
Lev Vyvanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:26 PM   #25
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer

Hook'em Horns

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

At 6 I would like
McCoy
Bradford
Berry
in that order