The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
pokenation
Rookie

whatever.....

Default a RFA question.

just hoping someone can fill me in on something i've been thinkin about lately.

ok, lets say BM signs an offer sheet with some other team.....then the broncos offer a better deal to sign him, so they dont lose him. does he have to sign with the broncos or can he stick it up the broncos ass and sign with the other team anyways?

kinda thinking of the bengals.....what if they do offer him and he signs....then we offer him more, so we dont "give away" BM for a low first rounder. is he obligated to sign with the broncos because they countered the offer, or can he sign with the bengals anyway?

thanks in advance to all that reply.
pokenation is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokenation View Post

ok, lets say BM signs an offer sheet with some other team.....then the broncos offer a better deal to sign him, so they dont lose him. does he have to sign with the broncos or can he stick it up the broncos ass and sign with the other team anyways?

kinda thinking of the bengals.....what if they do offer him and he signs....then we offer him more, so we dont "give away" BM for a low first rounder. is he obligated to sign with the broncos because they countered the offer, or can he sign with the bengals anyway?

Broncos have the right of first refusal. If we match the offer, he has to either play for us or sit out. He can't sign any other offer sheets.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
Paladin
Ring of Famer

If he signs an offer sheet, the Broncos can match and he stays with the team but at the deal negotiated woth that other team. He could play, hold out, hold his breath, kick a few footballs, beat up his fiance, or whatever, but he would be a Bronco unless the Broncos subsequently traded him.....
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
OOJack
Go Broncos!

Go Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Plummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
If he signs an offer sheet, the Broncos can match and he stays with the team but at the deal negotiated woth that other team. He could play, hold out, hold his breath, kick a few footballs, beat up his fiance, or whatever, but he would be a Bronco unless the Broncos subsequently traded him.....
You have to think if he agrees to a deal with another team and we match it, he would be glad to play with us for that same contract, right? If not, you can pretty much kiss all his current bronco fans goodbye.
OOJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Pokenation, if Marshall or any other RFA signs an offer sheet and the original team (the Broncos) choose to match - the player automatically comes back to that team under the terms of the offer sheet. There's no need to provide a counter offer.

For example if Seattle signs Marshall to an offer sheet with a 6 year deal for $60 million with a $20 million signing bonus, and the Broncos match, the Broncos would automatically resign Marshall to a 6 year deal for $60 million with a $20 million signing bonus.

So if a RFA signs an offer sheet anywhere, he'd better be prepared for the possiblity of returning to his original team under those exact terms (see David Anderson signing an offer sheet with the Broncos last year and it being matched by the Texans).

Last edited by montrose; 03-08-2010 at 12:36 PM..
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
pokenation
Rookie

whatever.....

hey thanks for all the replys....i know that we could MATCH the offer from team X.. i was just unsure if he had to (by rules) sign with us if we did match or if he could chose between the two.
pokenation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #7
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer

Nothing lasts forever.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:

The offer sheet he signs with another team is for a contract. If Denver matches it, he has a new contract with the Denver Broncos. He is no longer a RFA, he is then a member of the Denver Broncos under the terms of that contract (3,4,5 years, whatever it is). Case closed.
bloodsunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:48 PM   #8
Que
Gettin' some

Just the tip

R is for restricted
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #9
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
i was just unsure if he had to (by rules) sign with us if we did match or if he could chose between the two.
He does.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:47 PM   #10
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOJack View Post
You have to think if he agrees to a deal with another team and we match it, he would be glad to play with us for that same contract, right?
I can think of at least one scenario where he wouldn't be happy.

Marshall signs offer sheet with Seahawks.
Broncos match.
Later that day, Cincy comes up with a "better" offer sheet.

I assume this would be a case of "sorry Cincy, you were too late to the dance", but someone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong and the Broncos would then have to match that 2nd "better" offer.

I could see Marshall coming back and getting p*ssed at the Broncos if he had to accept their offer which was technically not "market value" even though he signed it.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote