The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Default Mike Florio: F'ing Moron

saw this on another thread but I think it deserves its own

warning: you may need to punch a baby after reading

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/arti...fl-free-agency

6. Seahawks should pull an end run around the Broncos With the Seattle Seahawks flirting with Brandon Marshall, the Broncos are getting the word out, loud and clear: If the Seahawks want Marshall, they need to sign him to an offer sheet and be prepared to give up the sixth overall pick in the draft.

The position is more than a little donkey-headed, given that the Seahawks also hold the 14th overall pick in the draft, which Denver sent to them in 2008 for a second-round pick. With the Broncos essentially begging someone to sign Marshall to an offer sheet by tendering the restricted free agent at the first-round level only, the Broncos should be happy with any first-round pick they can get.

So here's what the Seahawks should do. They should communicate to a team like the Saints or the Colts or anyone who picks below No. 14 the terms they'd be comfortable paying to Marshall, and the Seahawks should offer to those teams the 14th overall pick for Marshall's contract. Then, one of the teams picking below No. 14 should sign Marshall to an offer sheet.

It would be a lot easier for the Broncos just to take the 14th overall pick and send Marshall to Seattle. But if they refuse to relent, then the Seahawks should give some other team an easy chance to upgrade to No. 14 — and to stick the Broncos with a pick a lot lower than No. 6.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
broncos-rock
Ring of Famer

Yep! Saw it too he's a crack smoking lawyer who obviously hates the broncos!
broncos-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

What people don't get is it's not what the fans, seattle, marshall, or Florio wants. It's about what the Broncos want. No on eelse is in the driver's seat
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

My counter to that is this:

If I were Denver's FO and I see or hear that something strange is going on with the team that has signed Brandon Marshall to an offer sheet, I would just match it. Making all of Seattle's promises and backroom dealing completely in vain.

Denver might want to keep Brandon, and have been unsuccessful working out a deal that reflects market value in Brandon's eyes. So Denver just let's BMarsh's agent and other teams do the work, and just match it.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
saw this on another thread but I think it deserves its own

warning: you may need to punch a baby after reading

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/arti...fl-free-agency

6. Seahawks should pull an end run around the Broncos With the Seattle Seahawks flirting with Brandon Marshall, the Broncos are getting the word out, loud and clear: If the Seahawks want Marshall, they need to sign him to an offer sheet and be prepared to give up the sixth overall pick in the draft.

The position is more than a little donkey-headed, given that the Seahawks also hold the 14th overall pick in the draft, which Denver sent to them in 2008 for a second-round pick. With the Broncos essentially begging someone to sign Marshall to an offer sheet by tendering the restricted free agent at the first-round level only, the Broncos should be happy with any first-round pick they can get.

So here's what the Seahawks should do. They should communicate to a team like the Saints or the Colts or anyone who picks below No. 14 the terms they'd be comfortable paying to Marshall, and the Seahawks should offer to those teams the 14th overall pick for Marshall's contract. Then, one of the teams picking below No. 14 should sign Marshall to an offer sheet.

It would be a lot easier for the Broncos just to take the 14th overall pick and send Marshall to Seattle. But if they refuse to relent, then the Seahawks should give some other team an easy chance to upgrade to No. 14 ó and to stick the Broncos with a pick a lot lower than No. 6.
The link you provided doesn't go to the article... I sent florio an email expressing my dissatisfaction with this article.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-pseudo-fan View Post

If I were Denver's FO and I see or hear that something strange is going on with the team that has signed Brandon Marshall to an offer sheet, I would just match it. Making all of Seattle's promises and backroom dealing completely in vain.

Denver might want to keep Brandon, and have been unsuccessful working out a deal that reflects market value in Brandon's eyes. So Denver just let's BMarsh's agent and other teams do the work, and just match it.

Agree 100%. Denver is the one who controls this. No amount of trickeration or douchebaggery by other teams is going to make Denver give up Marshall without fair compensation.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #7
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
The link you provided doesn't go to the article... I sent florio an email expressing my dissatisfaction with this article.
it works for me...scroll down to #6 on the list
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #8
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:

unfortunately a poison pill could wreck that plan...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #9
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGcver2ver3 View Post
unfortunately a poison pill could wreck that plan...
Teams have an unwritten agreement on these "poison pills".

Sports writers like to add those as options in dealings, but that is to sell us. It is not going to go down like that.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #10
chex
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Does Florio really think this would hold up to league scrutiny? And besides, what makes him think the bottom two teams will be willing to pay the cost of jumping close to 20 spots in the first round? Or does he think Seattle will trade out of the first round completely from 14?
chex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:35 AM   #11
jmz313
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Sports writers like to add those as options in dealings, but that is to sell us. It is not going to go down like that.
Seahawks one of those teams? Or is Nate Burelson a 50 million dollar man?
jmz313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #12
DrFate
Lord of Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by chex View Post
Does Florio really think this would hold up to league scrutiny? And besides, what makes him think the bottom two teams will be willing to pay the cost of jumping close to 20 spots in the first round? Or does he think Seattle will trade out of the first round completely from 14?
Why would they have to pay anything? If Seattle wants Marshall but doesn't want to give up #6...

1) call the Saints
2) have the Saints sign Marshall to the same money the Seahawks want to pay
3) send Denver the #32 overall pick (a first round pick)
4) trade Marshall to the Seahawks for a 2nd and a 4th (or whatever they agreed from the beginning)

The Seahags effectively get Marshall for a 2 and 4 (I have no idea if Seattle has a 2 and a 4, but that isn't the point)

The Saints basically are trading the last pick in round 1 for a #2 and a #4 (and if the Hags have their pick in round 2, the Saints would only drop back a few spots AND pick up a #4)
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #13
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Broncos can always match, and then say we still want to trade him.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #14
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:

i hope you're right...

but wasn't seattle one of the teams to do it in the 1st place?...

isn't that how they got hutchinson?...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #15
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
it works for me...scroll down to #6 on the list
My bad...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #16
DrFate
Lord of Order

Quote:
Seattle was the team that got burned by the Vikings over the Hutchinson deal

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2375444
Old 03-08-2010, 11:46 AM   #17
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFate View Post
Seattle was the team that got burned by the Vikings over the Hutchinson deal

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2375444
They also got even with the Vikings.

That is exactly why they have an agreement, because it causes these types of fights. It would get very nasty between Front Offices, and that is very bad for business.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #18
DrFate
Lord of Order

Seattle tried to turn it around on a tender to Burleson

"In the wake of this contract offer, similar clauses have appeared in other contract offers, including a contract offered to Vikings wide receiver Nate Burleson by the Seahawks, which, with irony fully intended, was structured as a seven year, $49 million deal. The contract given to Burleson had two vengeful poison pill clauses in response to the contract offered to Hutchinson. Firstly, it stipulated that if Burleson were to play five or more games in the state of Minnesota during any single season over the life of the contract, the entire $49 million would become guaranteed. Secondly, if Burleson were to earn more per year on average than all of his team's running backs combined, the $49 million would be guaranteed. Since the Vikings play half of their games at home in Minnesota, and their running backs combined earned less per year than the $7 million in Burleson's contract, Minnesota was unable to match it."
Old 03-08-2010, 11:49 AM   #19
DrFate
Lord of Order

Quote:
They also got even with the Vikings.
Well...

I don't know if they 'got even', as Hutchinson is a HOF type player and Burleson is, well, Nate Burleson...

But they did make their point, I think...
Old 03-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #20
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

One thing they are missing here is that NFL teams and owners are a tight-knit group. Owners don't want to be so cavalier about burning bridges with other teams because it's not good for football and it could bite you in the butt if that team has something you need down the road.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #21
chex
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Why would they have to pay anything? If Seattle wants Marshall but doesn't want to give up #6...

1) call the Saints
2) have the Saints sign Marshall to the same money the Seahawks want to pay
3) send Denver the #32 overall pick (a first round pick)
4) trade Marshall to the Seahawks for a 2nd and a 4th (or whatever they agreed from the beginning)

The Seahags effectively get Marshall for a 2 and 4 (I have no idea if Seattle has a 2 and a 4, but that isn't the point)

The Saints basically are trading the last pick in round 1 for a #2 and a #4 (and if the Hags have their pick in round 2, the Saints would only drop back a few spots AND pick up a #4)
And you think the league would allow such underhandedness? And why would NO give up a first rounder to move back 8 spots and only get a 4th as a bonus? Would you do that?
Old 03-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #22
DrFate
Lord of Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by chex View Post
And you think the league would allow such underhandedness? And why would NO give up a first rounder to move back 8 spots and only get a 4th as a bonus? Would you do that?
1) the league didn't intervene when Seattle/Minnesota started the poison pill pissing match back in the day - I don't claim to know what they might do today. Maybe there is a rule in place now. I just know it happened.
2) I'm not sure I understand your question - teams REGULARLY trade back from the end of round 1 to pick up picks later. The 4th was entirely hypothetical.

I'm not sure I agree with the 'all the owners are friends' argument, either. There was talk when Terrell Suggs was being drafted that Denver wanted to move up and take him, but Baltimore called Denver and basically 'held them' on the phone, until THEY could make the trade to move up and get Suggs. (the details escape me)

Everyone makes whatever moves they can to get an advantage.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:08 PM   #23
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

He is a moron. Let's pop that p***Y like a 4-4.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #24
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGcver2ver3 View Post
i hope you're right...

but wasn't seattle one of the teams to do it in the 1st place?...

isn't that how they got hutchinson?...
, wow you are way off. You got it backwards.

Last edited by HILife; 03-08-2010 at 12:19 PM..
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #25
chex
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
1) the league didn't intervene when Seattle/Minnesota started the poison pill pissing match back in the day - I don't claim to know what they might do today. Maybe there is a rule in place now. I just know it happened.
2) I'm not sure I understand your question - teams REGULARLY trade back from the end of round 1 to pick up picks later. The 4th was entirely hypothetical.

I'm not sure I agree with the 'all the owners are friends' argument, either. There was talk when Terrell Suggs was being drafted that Denver wanted to move up and take him, but Baltimore called Denver and basically 'held them' on the phone, until THEY could make the trade to move up and get Suggs. (the details escape me)

Everyone makes whatever moves they can to get an advantage.
I donít know if the poison pill has been officially banned, but I donít think weíve seen it since. I also donít think the league would tolerate the complete circumvention of the rule, whereas the poison pill was much more transparent. Iím also not sure if you can even trade a guy who signed an offer sheet so soon. I wonder if anyone here has clarification on it. Is it basketball that has a closed window policy on trades like this?