The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 03:05 AM   #1
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,349

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default What is happening with Doom?

So far Marshall has drawn interest from at least Seattle with supposedly a dozen total teams thinking about bringing him in to their franchise. But there has been absolutely no word Doom. Not even talk about other teams thinking about bringing him in for visits. Does this mean Denver is already in the process of giving him a long term deal and Doom is just ignoring the other teams calling for him to visit, or is there no interest in him?
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2010, 03:23 AM   #2
Tomeboy58801
Just Drafted
 
Tomeboy58801's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 37

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

With a first and third round tender, I do not think any team will touch him right now.
Tomeboy58801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:55 AM   #3
chrisp
Friend of the unsung
 
chrisp's Avatar
 
Not into the football......yet

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: London UK
Posts: 1,329

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomeboy58801 View Post
With a first and third round tender, I do not think any team will touch him right now.
Not only is it a prohibitive tender, it is also a sign that the team does not want to lose him so is more likely to try and match any offer. Not sure if there's any chance of him being signed to a long-term deal or not but of all our RFAs he's probably the only guy with a chance.
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:28 AM   #4
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,349

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

regardless of the tender, you would think at least 1 team in the league would have a meeting scheduled with the guy. or news about interest would have come out by now. but there is nothing.

17 sacks in a single season, the ability to play and excel in both a 4-3 and 3-4, age, personality, team mentality. regardless of tender a team would at least consider making a move for the guy.

it just seems like there are 2 potential scenarios going on. either Doom and Denver are in the middle of talks and Doom is not taking any meetings with anyone else, taking a wait and see approach with contract talks in Denver.

or

nobody in the league has ANY interest at all in the league's reigning league leader in sacks


which seems most likely?
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:37 AM   #5
chrisp
Friend of the unsung
 
chrisp's Avatar
 
Not into the football......yet

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: London UK
Posts: 1,329

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
regardless of the tender, you would think at least 1 team in the league would have a meeting scheduled with the guy. or news about interest would have come out by now. but there is nothing.

17 sacks in a single season, the ability to play and excel in both a 4-3 and 3-4, age, personality, team mentality. regardless of tender a team would at least consider making a move for the guy.

it just seems like there are 2 potential scenarios going on. either Doom and Denver are in the middle of talks and Doom is not taking any meetings with anyone else, taking a wait and see approach with contract talks in Denver.

or

nobody in the league has ANY interest at all in the league's reigning league leader in sacks


which seems most likely?
I think teams know - on the unofficial press/agent grapevine - when a player is available for the right price and when he's not. No-one wants to waste time meeting with a player they are never going to get, and teams know that even if they DO sign him, Denver will likely match.
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:41 AM   #6
The Joker
Ring of Famer
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,275

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
I think teams know - on the unofficial press/agent grapevine - when a player is available for the right price and when he's not. No-one wants to waste time meeting with a player they are never going to get, and teams know that even if they DO sign him, Denver will likely match.
Pretty much.

Also, the only teams that have to think twice about making a move for Doom ar teams that run a 3-4. He's a 3rd down pass rush specialist in a 4-3, and you just don't give up the picks and contract it would take to get him for a situational player.

So that's about 70% of the league that are out of the thought process before it even begins.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:01 AM   #7
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,725

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Dumervil got a lot of sacks, but he also disappeared for long stretches in most games too, so stats can be misleading.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:11 AM   #8
ant1999e
Ring of Famer
 
ant1999e's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BFE
Posts: 6,266

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball
Default

Teams know the refs are gonna let the o-line hold him all day so that hurts his value.
ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:24 AM   #9
TheDave
Sauced...
 
TheDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 15,000
Default

For what ever reason the NFL significantly over values draft picks... Look at the Jared allen trade. A 1st (brandon albert) and 2 3rds. For the past couple of seasons the vikings have had one of the best Dlines in the game and the chefs have gone 10-38 since the trade.

JMO but I would always go for a proven player over draft picks... especially top 10 high priced draft picks.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:30 AM   #10
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 46,905

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Probably Haiti
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:03 PM   #11
uplink
Ring of Famer
 
uplink's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,083
Default

teams won't bite since he only had one big time year, if it was more then he'd be gone.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #12
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,349

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Dumervil got a lot of sacks, but he also disappeared for long stretches in most games too, so stats can be misleading.
that describes Julius Peppers entire career and he just this weekend got 42million guaranteed. with 5 years more wear and tear on him
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #13
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,349

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplink View Post
teams won't bite since he only had one big time year, if it was more then he'd be gone.
1 big year?

since he came into the league he has been one of the best at reaching the QB and even if you take away last seasons total, he was still averaging more than 8 sacks a season
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:29 PM   #14
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,302

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
regardless of the tender, you would think at least 1 team in the league would have a meeting scheduled with the guy.
No they wouldn't. Why waste the time? No one is going to even think about matching that, especially before a likely lockout.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:10 AM   #15
chrisp
Friend of the unsung
 
chrisp's Avatar
 
Not into the football......yet

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: London UK
Posts: 1,329

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
For what ever reason the NFL significantly over values draft picks... Look at the Jared allen trade. A 1st (brandon albert) and 2 3rds. For the past couple of seasons the vikings have had one of the best Dlines in the game and the chefs have gone 10-38 since the trade.

JMO but I would always go for a proven player over draft picks... especially top 10 high priced draft picks.
That's something that really gets me scratching my head....the trade value of draft picks and the money 1st-round rookies get.

The thing that's even more crazy is that the GMs and owners who are responsible for inflating the value are the ones who complain most about it!

The only thing is, even 'proven' players aren't a dead cert - look at the cutler trade - the Bears GM obviously thought a 'proven' Qb was worth two firsts, and it cost him his job. I suppose at the end of the day a draft pick can either meet, exceed or fall short of expectations, where as free agents typically tend to either meet or fall short of them, there isn't the same upside.

So maybe all of that has something to do with it but it still perplexes me....
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:35 AM   #16
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer
 
Nothing lasts forever.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Dove Valley
Posts: 5,838

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
For what ever reason the NFL significantly over values draft picks... Look at the Jared allen trade. A 1st (brandon albert) and 2 3rds. For the past couple of seasons the vikings have had one of the best Dlines in the game and the chefs have gone 10-38 since the trade.

JMO but I would always go for a proven player over draft picks... especially top 10 high priced draft picks.
Same point I was making about BMarsh yesterday. This is a great post. If there were a rookie salary cap, I might change my stance. But as it is today, you are often paying as much or more for these young guys than you would a guy like BMarsh or Doom. That said, I do think in Doom's case Denver has made it clear that they aren't letting him go and that's probably scaring teams off.
bloodsunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:21 AM   #17
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,968

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant1999e View Post
Teams know the refs are gonna let the o-line hold him all day so that hurts his value.
Bahahhaa, sucks, cuz it's true.

I bet if he played for New York he would get holding calls though.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:06 PM   #18
Flex Gunmetal
Icy Fresh
 
Flex Gunmetal's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: COLORADO
Posts: 3,078

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Francis Daytona
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplink View Post
teams won't bite since he only had one big time year, if it was more then he'd be gone.
Do you know he's averaged 10 sacks a year since he was drafted?
Flex Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:07 AM.


Denver Broncos