The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What Do you take for Marshall if you're negotiating with Seattle?
One of the best receivers ever, to even contemplate a trade is insane 7 5.98%
Nothing less than seattle's #6 54 46.15%
First round pick, but I'd take #14 if they offered 45 38.46%
Actually just a 2nd and a 3rd would do fine - this is a good draft 9 7.69%
Marshall is a ticking time bomb - trade him at any price 2 1.71%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2010, 01:10 AM   #1
chrisp
Friend of the unsung

Not into the football......yet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan
Default What do you take for Marshall..

Just curious to see what value people place on the guy - I've seen just about every possible opinion voiced about him, so I'm wondering if there's a majority view or if we're really divided on this.

Poll coming....
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2010, 01:17 AM   #2
chrisp
Friend of the unsung

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

For the record, I'm genuinely unsure what i think about this. As of now, we have the right to insist on Seattle's #6 so we should theoretically get that or equal value in players or other picks.

No question I would rather have Marshall's talent on the field for us next season. However, if the guy reallywants to leave, given the amount of disruption he's caused over the years, do we really risk the distractions he may cause if we force him to stay. Its possible, that even if disgruntled he may be able to keep his mouth shut and stay out of trouble, on the other hand we could have an 8-game suspension on the cards...
Old 03-07-2010, 01:17 AM   #3
*WARHORSE*
GNASHING OF TEETH

Let the heads roll.........

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lombardi III

6th pick

or the 14th and an extra
*WARHORSE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:27 AM   #4
robbieopperude
Perennial Pro-bowler

Shannon to Canton!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If the pick is outside the top 15 I think we need to get a player on the OL or DL with the pick. Someone who will be a rotational player at worst. Looking at our recent free agent moves and I think OG would be what we would be looking for.
robbieopperude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:36 AM   #5
SPORTSWRITER
Initials are ESP

Default Yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *WARHORSE* View Post
6th pick

or the 14th and an extra
Hmmm, the latter would be ok- maybe even better than the # 6 I voted for in this poll, depending of course on what that "extra" is!

BTW, is that post total of 197 a rollover from 100,000??
SPORTSWRITER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:55 AM   #6
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
For the record, I'm genuinely unsure what i think about this. As of now, we have the right to insist on Seattle's #6 so we should theoretically get that or equal value in players or other picks.
We aren't entitled to the #6 pick until the Seahawks sign him to an offer sheet.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:30 AM   #7
extralife
Ring of Famer

just because I'd rather not trade him for anything doesn't mean I think he's one of the best receivers ever. poll is terrible.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:12 AM   #8
Lomax
Solid Starter

Thanks, Weapon X. I took it.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Just Say "Know"

I think the 14th would be fine. In fact, the Broncos might prefer the 14th considering the state of the CBA. Signing an offer sheet could just be a slick way for Seattle to get out of the top 10 and nab a pretty good player in the process.

Marshall's a really good player, but I believe in the team concept and if you continue to replace the "me" guys with the "team" guys, eventually you end up with a pretty good team.
Lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:20 AM   #9
chrisp
Friend of the unsung

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
We aren't entitled to the #6 pick until the Seahawks sign him to an offer sheet.
Absolutley correct. However, if they want him, that is the starting point for negotiations as that is what, technically, we're entitled to should they sign him, so the question is, how far down do we negotiate from that (given that it seems unlikely they will be willing to give us that #6 for him).

Once they sign him to an offer sheet without a trade first there is no negotiation - we get the #6 (or match) and that's it - they can't then try to negotiate with us after that becuase that's when league rules take over. Now is the time to negotiate becuase with nothing having been signed no-one's entitled to anything just yet.

Of course, they also have to give Brandon a deal he'll appreciate, and that could be a sticking point also. Basically if they don't want to give brandon the money he wants OR we refuse to accept any less than the #6 we would technically be due then this deal could stall whatever Brandon thinks or wants.

The only leverage Seattle have, however, is that they can force a deal IF Brandon likes their offer AND they are prepared to give up #6. If they are not, then we are entirely at liberty to accept or reject any offer they make as we see fit and nothing needs to happen if we don't want it to.

Last edited by chrisp; 03-07-2010 at 03:22 AM..
Old 03-07-2010, 03:54 AM   #10
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

At this point, you basically need to take any reasonable offer that gets Marshall out of town. There is simply a huge risk involved with giving the kind of contract he wants when he has substantial baggage, is one misstep away from missing a significant portion of the season and has openly expressed his disdain for Denver.

Personally, I quantify a "reasonable" offer as a early to mid 1st round pick or a comparable player. Anything later or less than thought would require additional compensation either in picks or players.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:03 AM   #11
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

I took the 2nd and a 3rd pick in the upcoming draft. The Anquan Boldin trade recently completed seriously watered down the value of BM. Of course I will be more than happy if the Broncos can get better compensation but BM's past isn't working out favorably for his cause or more importantly the Broncos. Good luck Brandon but I don't want to see you in a Bronco uniform again.

Last edited by NYBronco; 03-07-2010 at 04:05 AM..
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:06 AM   #12
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

i say nothing lower than top half of the 1st round. or low 1st round paired with either player(s) and or additional pick(s)
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:13 AM   #13
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

If we trade Marshall for Smith I'll be pissed. 6th or nothing.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:22 AM   #14
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

exactly,the 6th pick or nothing. no need for negotiating.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:41 AM   #15
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

I stick with what I have been saying all along - 2nd, 4th/5th and young player.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:27 AM   #16
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

At minimum, I think we should get two reasonably high (2nd/3rd) picks.

Ultimately, I'd prefer the #6.

I wish the poll was set up to select more than one choice.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:41 AM   #17
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
The only leverage Seattle have, however, is that they can force a deal IF Brandon likes their offer AND they are prepared to give up #6. If they are not, then we are entirely at liberty to accept or reject any offer they make as we see fit and nothing needs to happen if we don't want it to.
No, Seattle's real leverage is in the threat of Cincy, NYJ, or Baltimore signing him. They all have 1sts in the 20's. At that point #14 looks pretty good.

IF Seattle signs Marshall to an offer sheet then the #6 pick comes into play. Until then all we know is that unless we're getting something comparable to the last pick in the first round we're going to have Marshall back. That is the only real value attached to Marshall right now.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:04 AM   #18
Steve Prefontaine
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It's funny, but even if we trade Marshall for the #6 pick, people need to understand we are trading one high risk for another. Denver would have to pay that #6 pick big money to an unproven player that could be easily bust in the NFL.

I wish Denver could trade Marshall for at least one other quality starter from another team. Trading him for draft pick(s) is just moving the risk around.
Steve Prefontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:20 AM   #19
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer

Nothing lasts forever.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

This is very tricky for Denver and B-Marsh for a few reasons:
1) They need another suitor to step and create at least a little bit of a market
2) Arizona only got 3 and 4th round picks and had to send back a 5th -- that trade set the market.
3) B-Marsh has to sell another organization that he's beyond his immature past
4) Denver HAS TO BE SURE that they get playmaker(s) in return. Getting 3rd and 4th round picks would be a bit of a buzz kill.

I think this deal could take more than a week to work itself out as we wait to see what kind of market (beyond Seattle) is out there. I don't see Seattle making a desperate play and just blindly signing an offer sheet unless another team emerges with serious interest to drive up the market.
bloodsunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:22 AM   #20
bloodsunday
Ring of Famer

Nothing lasts forever.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
No, Seattle's real leverage is in the threat of Cincy, NYJ, or Baltimore signing him. They all have 1sts in the 20's. At that point #14 looks pretty good.
Baltimore got their guy. With Braylon Edwards in play, I don't see the NYJ as real suitors. The Jets have already been very active the past 2 seasons.

Cincinnati makes some sense. Hopefully they step up and drive up the value.
bloodsunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:03 AM   #21
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Who else is Marshall due to visit?
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:09 AM   #22
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

If we're only getting picks, there has to be a first rounder. I would have no issue with #14 and a fifth or 6th rounder.

I would also have no problem getting a couple of early picks and a proven player. The 2nd and 3rd round picks and Branch is intriguing to me. This is a great draft to have extra selections in that range, and Branch would be a solid addition. It's a less flashy move than getting #6, but it's also probably a safer bet.

Last edited by Dedhed; 03-07-2010 at 07:13 AM..
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:14 AM   #23
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Depends on who we are dealing with. If it is Seattle, I would be happy with a 2nd and 3rd. Those picks are both high in their respective rounds. Their value is the equivalent of the 23rd pick in the 1st round and they would give us a lot more leverage to move up or down than the #6 or #14 pick would, since those tend to be pretty tough to trade out of.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:54 AM   #24
CEH
Ring of Famer

I think BMarsh has turned the corner and will be a consistent 10/12 TDs a year WR. That's the production we need to replace not his 100 catches.

Guys like Royal and Gaffney and another WR from the draft can probably catch the balls needed as witnessed by the last KC game but did anyone think that Gaffney was a threat to score from anywhere on the field. He did put up some gaudy numbers in that game.

A number one WR is a guy who can beat one on one and score from anywhere on the field at any moment. BMarsh is that guy

That will be hard to replace unless the team takes a chance on Dez

At this point I think Denver is moving him soley to clean up the lockerroom but we need a 1st. 2nd and a 4th for a 25 year old Pro Bowl WR would make this FO look worst than the ZO trade.
CEH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:06 AM   #25
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

I'd tell Seattle Marshall for 6th pick

or

Marshall and #11 for #6 #14
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote