The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2010, 04:10 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Denver Post : Broncos WR Marshalll to talk contract with Seahawks today

Broncos WR Marshalll to talk contract with Seahawks today

By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

Posted: 03/06/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

In Seattle, where Brandon Marshall may soon be playing, he would have old friends and no more enemies.

In Denver, Marshall could leave behind the bittersweet start to his NFL career. The star receiver can move beyond his run-ins with coaches and girlfriends and nightclub thugs. He can wipe away his two suspensions in two years and numerous courtroom appearances in three years, most recently as a star witness in the murder trial of former teammate Darrent Williams.

Marshall can hang on to those three consecutive 100-catch seasons and numerous awe-inspiring plays if he wishes. But if all goes well during his visit today as a restricted free agent in the faraway, oft-drizzly city of Seattle, the most talented, and troubled, receiver in Broncos history will become a handsomely paid Seahawk.

That groan you heard was electronically delivered from the checking account of Harvey Steinberg, Marshall's Denver-based attorney.

As Marshall leaves Denver today for an opportunity elsewhere, the Broncos made a series of practical moves to solidify the middle of their fronts Friday. The team agreed in principle on a five-year contract with former University of Colorado and Baltimore Ravens defensive lineman Justin Bannan, who becomes the Broncos' new starting nose tackle.

"He's excited about it," said Tom Mills, Bannan's Boulder-based agent. "He played college here and really enjoyed his visit with the team (Friday)."

"Justin will fit into our scheme very well," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said in a statement.

And the Broncos were also close to signing former Miami and Cleveland center Rex Hadnot.

That's 630 combined pounds at the middle positions of the line of scrimmage.

The Broncos also strengthened their lone weak spot in their secondary when they signed former Miami Dolphins nickel back Nathan Jones.

"He makes plays on defense and has been a core contributor on special teams," Broncos general manager Brian Xanders said.

Yet, as often happened since the Broncos drafted Marshall four years ago, the team's positive developments were overshadowed by the somber circumstance surrounding the gifted playmaker.

For myriad reasons, Marshall would like to move on. His last three seasons have been both highly productive and disruptive. He held out from the team's offseason workouts last season and issued a trade request.

This time, the Broncos may be getting close to accommodating Marshall's desire to leave. First, the team slapped a fairly inviting, first-round tender on Marshall, who officially became a restricted free agent Thursday.

That means for a team to sign away Marshall, it would have to surrender a first-round draft pick to the Broncos unless the two sides agree on alternative compensation.

The Seahawks not only have the financial wherewithal to submit an attractive contract proposal to induce Marshall into signing an offer sheet, they have two first-round draft picks No. 6 and 14 overall.

Seattle's No. 14 pick was acquired from the Broncos during the 2009 draft in a deal that enabled Denver to move up and select defensive back Alphonso Smith early in the second round.

Although at least one other team has expressed serious interest in Marshall, Seattle would is a logical fit in part because former Broncos play-caller Jeremy Bates and former receivers coach Jedd Fisch are now with the Seahawks. Marshall was a big fan of both coaches in 2008 when he had 104 catches in 15 games.

The Broncos did offer Marshall a multiyear contract last summer worth approximately $9.5 million a season, according to two NFL sources.

Marshall rejected the proposal because the contract structure had relatively little money upfront, and also because the receiver preferred to play elsewhere.

Seattle may be where.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14523017
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2010, 04:30 AM   #2
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
The Broncos did offer Marshall a multiyear contract last summer worth approximately $9.5 million a season, according to two NFL sources.

Marshall rejected the proposal because the contract structure had relatively little money upfront, and also because the receiver preferred to play elsewhere.
This thread will be interesting.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:31 AM   #3
long beach bronco
Ring of Famer

"I'm your Huckleberry"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Another year, another good player gone from Denver. I am so sick of this.
long beach bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:14 AM   #4
jayman_37
Seasoned Veteran

Marshall just wants out, I really think he is afraid of those gang members coming after him, and honestly I can't blame him.
jayman_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:17 AM   #5
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

I Hate Mcd.
It seems to me that he is fond of draft picks.
Unfortunately, he doesn't pick good player's in the draft.
I am waiting for the day when bowlen fires him.

The only good thing he did is to trade Cutler.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:18 AM   #6
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman_37 View Post
Marshall just wants out, I really think he is afraid of those gang members coming after him, and honestly I can't blame him.
if they want to kill him, they will not hesitate to come to SEA..
SEA is not in a different country.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:26 AM   #7
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_broncos View Post
I Hate Mcd.

I disagree with your stance, but its refreshing to see someone dislike McDaniels for his other moves and not for trading Cutler. 95% of the people hating on McD are still doing so because they are butt hurt over Cutler. Even after Cutler's atrocious season they are still in denial about it. I can respect an opinion where he is disliked strictly for his other moves.

The two things that piss me off most about McD haters are 1.) whining about the Cutler trade and 2.) whining about not playing Hillis.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:26 AM   #8
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:27 AM   #9
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I disagree with your stance, but its refreshing to see someone dislike McDaniels for his other moves and not for trading Cutler. 95% of the people hating on McD are still doing so because they are butt hurt over Cutler. Even after Cutler's atrocious season they are still in denial about it. I can respect an opinion where he is disliked strictly for his other moves.

The two things that piss me off most about McD haters are 1.) whining about the Cutler trade and 2.) whining about not playing Hillis.
Don't forget the hoodie.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:35 AM   #10
ayjackson
Pro Bowler

Not so new to the forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm pretty high on Ayers on Moreno. I also liked what I saw in Bruton/McBath.

I don't expect draft picks to set the world on fire in their first year. For his part, Ayers is ahead of most rookie OLB's in a 3-4 system. He's miles ahead of Spencer, for example.
ayjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:39 AM   #11
521 1N5
Perennial Pro-bowler

Don't let the door hit ya on the way out woman beater.
521 1N5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:41 AM   #12
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
I Hate Mcd.

Oh my god, you're a ****ing idiot.

Who isn't "fond of" draft picks? That's how you build your team, stupid.

You've seen him draft ONE year, and suddenly "he doesn't pick good player's in the draft." What an effing retard. ONE YEAR IS NOT A TREND. You cannot evaluate someone's talent based on one year.

How much do you know about football?
Old 03-06-2010, 07:54 AM   #13
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post

I don't like Cutler.To me, he is the cancer and will ruin the team.
Glad that Mcd realized this and traded him.
QB is the position that needs leadership and cutler lacks that.

The problem i have with Mcd is that he expects all player's attitude to be like Royal, Bailey etc.
Very few have that in today's NFL.
If he keeps looking to trade player's like Marshall, we will not have good player's in the end.

Mcd is suited to coach College player's..Bowlen gave chance to him soon.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:58 AM   #14
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Marshall is a great player but he doesn't want to be in Denver and he's a constant distraction. People need to come to grips with the fact that the best move for both Marshall and the organization is that he moves on.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:01 AM   #15
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
Oh my god, you're a ****ing idiot.

Who isn't "fond of" draft picks? That's how you build your team, stupid.

You've seen him draft ONE year, and suddenly "he doesn't pick good player's in the draft." What an effing retard. ONE YEAR IS NOT A TREND. You cannot evaluate someone's talent based on one year.

How much do you know about football?
hmm..ok..let's trade Dumerville, Bailery and other good player's for draft picks
and get player's like Ayers, A.smith and Moreno.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:01 AM   #16
ayjackson
Pro Bowler

Not so new to the forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Marshall is a great player but he doesn't want to be in Denver and he's a constant distraction. People need to come to grips with the fact that the best move for both Marshall and the organization is that he moves on.
100% correct. I'll be cheering for Marshall to get his money and just play football. I think he will and I think he'll grow up. But it's not going to be in Denver, and it has nothing to do with McD. It's about Brandon and it always has been.
ayjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:03 AM   #17
521 1N5
Perennial Pro-bowler

tick tick tick tick tick.....

Date: March 6, 2008
Arrested: Battery
Incident: Marshall's girlfriend claimed Marshall hit her in the mouth and eye on March 4, leaving her with "visible marks above the eye and a laceration on her top and bottom lip.
Result: The case is in the hands of Fulton County authorities and they have yet to decide on formal charges.

Date: October 22, 2007
Arrested: DUI
Incident: Marshall is arrested after reportedly driving the wrong way on a one-way street in Denver.
Result: Marshall pleaded not guilty and his trial is scheduled for September 16.

Date: March 26, 2007
Arrested: Domestic Violence and false imprisionment.
Incident: Marshall's girlfriend called police to Marshall's home after the couple got into a fight. Marshall was accused of blocking a taxi the girlfriend was in with another vehicle and pounding on the taxi's windows. This happened several times before the taxi driver was able to get away.
Result: Charges were dismissed in May 2007

Date: March 21, 2007
Incident: Police interview Marshall after they were called to the scene of an argument between Marshall and his girlfriend near Boca Raton. While both sides claimed the confrontation was not violent, Marshall admitted to slamming an iron pipe to the ground in frustration after his girlfriend left the area.

Date: January 24, 2007
Incident: Police interview Marshall and his father, Frederick, outside a bowling alley after the two got into an argument over money. According to the police report, Frederick Marshall said his son fired a gun, a claim that was not supported by witnesses. Brandon Marshall said his father tried to run him over with his car and repeatedly told his son that he would "ruin his football career". Both father and son refused to press charges and neither was arrested.

Date: June 17, 2006
Incident: Once again, Marshall's girlfriend is involved, this time telling police that Marshall slapped her, pushed her to the ground and grabbed her arms during an argument that spanned several hours in their apartment. She also claimed that Marshall through a phone or remote control at her, striking her in the forehead and cutting her above the eye. A formal statement was sent to police in October 2006, but charges were never filed.
521 1N5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:07 AM   #18
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
hmm..ok..let's trade Dumerville, Bailery and other good player's for draft picks
As soon as we trade Dumervil or Bailey, you come back and let us know, K? Otherwise you're operating in fantasyland.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:15 AM   #19
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Yes because Doom and Champ have expressed an interest in getting out, have lots of off field baggage, and are constant distractions just like Marshall. Good comparisons.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:20 AM   #20
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

I think this is PR bullshyt he has said all along he just wanted paid
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:21 AM   #21
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:22 AM   #22
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post

Considering we all talked about it last summer, I'm gonna guess no that it's not some PR bull****. That's not a new revelation that Marshall was offered a contract last summer with little guaranteed money.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:32 AM   #23
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Wrong. It's all about the guaranteed money and the contract offer didn't include very much of it.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:17 AM   #24
Crushisback
Camp fodder

Marshall is one of my favorite players but it is time for him to go. It would be dissapointing if it is for somthing less than the #14 pick though.

For those that are upset about McD dimantling this roster let's remember we wern't exctly a dynasty when he came in.
Crushisback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:36 AM   #25
TD30
Big Bad Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushisback View Post
Marshall is one of my favorite players but it is time for him to go. It would be dissapointing if it is for somthing less than the #14 pick though.

For those that are upset about McD dimantling this roster let's remember we wern't exctly a dynasty when he came in.
True atleast we won't have to worry about losing any star players after this year. They obviously are not willing to pay for star talent or can't. Dumerville will be gone next year and as soon as someone performs well enough to earn a high payout they will be gone to. It's fun being an NFL farm team.
TD30 is offline   Reply With Quote