The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 12:36 AM   #1
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,772

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default Bubble screen pass will be here to stay...

After doing a little research on who might best fit the McDaniels system at QB, I came to the conclusion it will be Jimmy Clausen as much as it pains me to say it.
I'm just old school when it comes down to a QB.
That said...

I can almost be sure the Broncos will draft Jimmy Clausen.
You're talking about bubble screen passes and quick-outs, and there's nobody in the draft who would do that better for McDaniels than Jimmy Clausen.
I'm short of guaranteeing he'll be a Bronco.

Now, I would hate that pick, but just because I don't like it, doesn't mean it won't work. I think that's McDaniels guy. Same offense ran in New England under Weiss

See this video, and you can almost visualize him in a Broncos uniform.
The offense he's running in this video is the same offense we ran last year.
Look at all those short and quick-out passes, the occasional downfield throws and how they run the PBS offense.
I kid you not.
Check it out...

strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
bap454
Ring of Famer
 
bap454's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,063

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard
Default

guarantee.... assuming we pick up the #6 pick, right?
bap454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:42 AM   #3
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,772

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap454 View Post
guarantee.... assuming we pick up the #6 pick, right?
Correct. And that's why they tendered Marshall a 1st round pick.
Even if we get a lower than a #6 pick for Marshall, the Broncos would try to bundle up a deal to get him.
That's just the feeling I've got when I was watching that video.
Eerily similar to what we've ran. It's almost like watching the Broncos last year...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:45 AM   #4
Killericon
Front 7, Please
 
Killericon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alberta
Posts: 7,653

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock
Default

I'm no College football fan, but isn't being impressed by Notre Dame beating Hawaii sort of like being impressed by Mike Tyson beating a 13 year old boy?
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:48 AM   #5
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,772

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
I'm no College football fan, but isn't being impressed by Notre Dame beating Hawaii sort of like being impressed by Mike Tyson beating a 13 year old boy?
You're probably right, and while the video highlights Clausen's best performance, that wasn't the focus of my thread...

Last edited by strafen; 03-06-2010 at 12:55 AM..
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:49 AM   #6
bap454
Ring of Famer
 
bap454's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,063

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
Correct. And that's why they tendered Marshall a 1st round pick.
Even if we get a lower than a #6 pick for Marshall, the Broncos would try to bundle up a deal to get him.
That's just the feeling I've got when I was watching that video.
Eerily similar to what we've ran. It's almost like watching the Broncos last year...
I have to admit, I havnt watched any film of Clausen. However, you are correct. It was Eerily similar... Now in watching the video, I have to say I would be ok with Clausen at number 6. Albeit, it was only one game but I was most impressed with his velocity and accuracy (touch). He looked the part in the pocket. Nice work!
bap454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:54 AM   #7
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,772

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap454 View Post
I have to admit, I havnt watched any film of Clausen. However, you are correct. It was Eerily similar... Now in watching the video, I have to say I would be ok with Clausen at number 6. Albeit, it was only one game but I was most impressed with his velocity and accuracy (touch). He looked the part in the pocket. Nice work!
Thanks!
Clausen is not my choice for QB, but when you try to make an educated guess as to who would the Broncos most likely be looking at in this year's draft, it's hard to imagine that Clausen won't be their first choice...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:57 AM   #8
xznsocal
Slot Machine Addict
 
xznsocal's Avatar
 
Fitting it in to tight spots

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Buena Vista, CO
Posts: 147

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wes Welker
Default

I especially liked the play where he defeated a free runner with a stiff arm and then located a target deep and dropped a dime while on the run without having to reset. Impressive.

Also the deep fade route into the left corner of the endzone against cover two was a beautiful, big-time throw. He showed the touch and velocity bap454 indicated to fit it into a very tight window, meanwhile demonstrating great recognition and timing.

I still want to see what happens at his Pro Day but if we really get the #6 pick and land him I'd be excited. Don't see how any Bronco fan wouldn't be as well.
xznsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:03 AM   #9
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,772

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xznsocal View Post
I especially liked the play where he defeated a free runner with a stiff arm and then located a target deep and dropped a dime while on the run without having to reset. Impressive.

Also the deep fade route into the left corner of the endzone against cover two was a beautiful, big-time throw. He showed the touch and velocity bap454 indicated to fit it into a very tight window, meanwhile demonstrating great recognition and timing.

I still want to see what happens at his Pro Day but if we really get the #6 pick and land him I'd be excited. Don't see how any Bronco fan wouldn't be as well.
You're right.
I'm not a big fan of Clausen, but yeah, you look at that video and you can't help, but wish to see a guy like that running our offense.
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:04 AM   #10
extralife
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,031
Default

Not watching college ball and never having seen Clausen play once in my life, here are my conclusions:

-he keeps the ball really high, but releases it pretty low

-likes to stare down receivers

-really good pocket awareness and nice mobility, including an ability to throw on the run

-he had talented wideouts

-his deep ball is pretty weird looking

-he can zing it

he looks like an NFL QB to me, I dunno. and yeah, the offense looks familiar.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:10 AM   #11
xznsocal
Slot Machine Addict
 
xznsocal's Avatar
 
Fitting it in to tight spots

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Buena Vista, CO
Posts: 147

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wes Welker
Default

What I really don't get is why the draft "experts" are so divided on him.

Kiper has him #4 on his Big Board
NFLDraftCountdown has him #10

BUT

Mayock does not have him in his top twenty

AND

Mc Shay and Scouts Inc. have him with an early second round grade and a #28 prospect ranking.

The evaluation that really matters is what Josh Mc Daniels thinks though....
xznsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:13 AM   #12
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,772

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xznsocal View Post
What I really don't get is why the draft "experts" are so divided on him.

Kiper has him #4 on his Big Board
NFLDraftCountdown has him #10

BUT

Mayock does not have him in his top twenty

AND

Mc Shay and Scouts Inc. have him with an early second round grade and a #28 prospect ranking.

The evaluation that really matters is what Josh Mc Daniels thinks though....
I think he'll be going early.
The Rams need a QB amongst other needs. It will depend on what the Rams do...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:20 AM   #13
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,235

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

He's Kyle Orton but with more mobility and a much better arm. I'm not going to say he's going to light it up in the NFL but I think he would be an upgrade over Orton, eventually, maybe not his rookie season but I think in year 2 it would be an upgrade.

Watching that clip, the 1:50 mark, that dude has a cannon for an arm.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:21 AM   #14
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos
 
The MVPlaya's Avatar
 
out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,383
Default

Too short, he's barely 6-3.

I think it's pretty cute you're watching youtube videos and then pretty much guaranteeing we're going to draft someone, but you have to understand that your research of about 10 minutes isn't exactly adequate to make assumptions like that - especially when there is much more that goes intodrafting a top player.

I know you'd hope it's as easy as what you're saying - however any 10 year old can watch our offense and that video and see that it's the same.

There is much more than just watching that he ran the same offense.

With that being said - this is one of your better posts.

Maybe it's the fact that some of my friends went to school with him so I know a bit more "background" on him than usual, but watching a video and saying that he ran the same offense isn't valid enough to tell anyone that's who we're going to or attempting to draft.

It's like saying we're looking at every fighting irish player and most likely going to draft them because they know the system. Or in reverse logic - it's like saying teams won't look at him because he ran that offense.

There was also a thread on here not too long ago of another QB from an extremely small school that was running a very similar offense, and he was a much bigger QB. With your logic - you'd also be saying we'll draft him too, right?
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:27 AM   #15
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,235

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

[QUOTE=The MVPlaya;2768382]Too short, he's barely 6-3.

QUOTE]

Drew Brees just won the superbowl and outplayed Manning and he's not even a touch over 6 feet. What's your point? Montana wasn't a tall guy either. And wasn't Elway 6'3?
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:32 AM   #16
Ziggy
Pro Bowler
 
Ziggy's Avatar
 
Noob

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 736
Default

There's no guarantee he's even there at 6. If St. Louis takes Bradford at 1, Shanny could grab Clausen at 4.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:48 AM   #17
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer
 
Florida_Bronco's Avatar
 
Coming Back Strong in 2014

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 13,852

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Drew Brees just won the superbowl and outplayed Manning and he's not even a touch over 6 feet. What's your point? Montana wasn't a tall guy either. And wasn't Elway 6'3?
6'3 is plenty tall for a QB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
There's no guarantee he's even there at 6. If St. Louis takes Bradford at 1, Shanny could grab Clausen at 4.
I don't see it. He's already got Campbell, who has been a decent starter so you figure Shanny is almost obligated to at least spend a year with him, plus he has Colt Brennan on the roster too.

Last edited by Florida_Bronco; 03-06-2010 at 01:53 AM..
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:49 AM   #18
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos
 
The MVPlaya's Avatar
 
out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,383
Default

[QUOTE=ZONA;2768383]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The MVPlaya View Post
Too short, he's barely 6-3.

QUOTE]

Drew Brees just won the superbowl and outplayed Manning and he's not even a touch over 6 feet. What's your point? Montana wasn't a tall guy either. And wasn't Elway 6'3?
lol - I don't have a problem - however I personally believe one of the requirements for QB in this system (in the NFL) is to be 6'4+. It was recently mentioned in that interview with Xanders that there are specific requirements for every position on this team/scheme/system.

I personally have no problem with a short quarterback, running back, WR, TE, etc.
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:57 AM   #19
bap454
Ring of Famer
 
bap454's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,063

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard
Default

"Background"... ok lets have it. Let me guess, hes a punk and likes to take "questionable" photos with his buddies?
bap454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:00 AM   #20
bap454
Ring of Famer
 
bap454's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,063

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard
Default

So let me get this straight 6'3'' is too short and 6'4'' is good... well I did read an article on him that said his height was a null point because his eye sockets actaully sit about an inch higher on his forehead than normal human beings.
bap454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:06 AM   #21
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos
 
The MVPlaya's Avatar
 
out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap454 View Post
"Background"... ok lets have it. Let me guess, hes a punk and likes to take "questionable" photos with his buddies?
No man - I didn't just check google images hahahah

For starters he went to the same school as Marc Tyler - that's where he and Marc had a huge offense in HS that both led to their recruitment to top schools. They went to a school calls Oaks Christian, it's right off the 101, you can see the facility and fields from the freeway.

Since this isn't too far I got to see him play in HS. I remember he had this whole ordeal going on about his age when he going to college. I think it was because he had to stay back a grade or something.

The school is a rich boy school pretty much - private school that holds prestige to popular people I guess you could say. Kind of like getting as much celeb children as possible.

Will Smith, Wayne Gretzky, Joe Montana, and many more have their kids go their. So it's not exactly cost minimizing to send your kids here.

I guess you can imagine everything from there if you've been in an environment with rich kids and all the BS that goes on...

There is a reason why Jimmy got clocked in the face like a b1tch at Notre Dame - that wasn't his first time in his life
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:08 AM   #22
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos
 
The MVPlaya's Avatar
 
out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap454 View Post
So let me get this straight 6'3'' is too short and 6'4'' is good... well I did read an article on him that said his height was a null point because his eye sockets actaully sit about an inch higher on his forehead than normal human beings.
The NFL is a game of inches haha. I'm not sure if he's a FULL 6'3...like Drew Brees... he's not 6 foot, even tho it's listed everywhere.
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:16 AM   #23
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,802
Default

First of all 6'3 to 6'5 is the average height of QB in the League. And Clausenis legit 6'3. I would be more concern with smaller hands (9 in) then his height.

That being said, I don't like him at all. I think if played anywhere else but ND he would be a late 2nd round pick. His best games came against teams that didn't have NFL speed on their defense and worse one came were one that showed NFL style discipline in their zone and had speed. I hope McDaniels isn't stupid listening to that fat **** in KC and draft this kid.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:38 AM   #24
Ziggy
Pro Bowler
 
Ziggy's Avatar
 
Noob

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 736
Default

He measured in at 6025 at the combine. 6'2 and 5/8. It's tall enough.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:04 AM   #25
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 46,932

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Bronco View Post
6'3 is plenty tall for a QB.



I don't see it. He's already got Campbell, who has been a decent starter so you figure Shanny is almost obligated to at least spend a year with him, plus he has Colt Brennan on the roster too.
six-three is plenty.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:03 AM.


Denver Broncos