The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
GoBroncos84
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
GoBroncos84's Avatar
 
Crucify the Ego

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 758

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default Broncos sign Nathan Jones

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-nathan-jones/
GoBroncos84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2010, 07:24 PM   #2
Ramathorn
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
Ramathorn's Avatar
 
M E O W

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Little Hocking, OH
Posts: 912

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elvis Dumervil
Default

who?
Ramathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
GoBroncos84
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
GoBroncos84's Avatar
 
Crucify the Ego

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 758

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Dolphins nickel corner

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6964
GoBroncos84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
extralife
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,079
Default

we sure do like the Miami secondary lately

what does this mean for Alphonso, really?
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus
 
UberBroncoMan's Avatar
 
Wut

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,064

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig
Default

Ha... ha... BAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Dolphins just cut one of their Safety's too. Lets get the quad!
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #6
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus
 
UberBroncoMan's Avatar
 
Wut

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,064

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
we sure do like the Miami secondary lately

what does this mean for Alphonso, really?
Means McDaniels made a mistake giving away the #14 pick in the best draft in the last ten years.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:28 PM   #7
GoBroncos84
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
GoBroncos84's Avatar
 
Crucify the Ego

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 758

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

I just hope there isn't another lame nickname like the browncos...
GoBroncos84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:29 PM   #8
GoBroncos84
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
GoBroncos84's Avatar
 
Crucify the Ego

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 758

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
Means McDaniels made a mistake giving away the #14 pick in the best draft in the last ten years.
Won't be able to get over that for awhile. Well, until we are once again a winning franchise. To me, that is the worst mistake he has made to date.
GoBroncos84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:29 PM   #9
Hamrob
All-American!
 
Hamrob's Avatar
 
All-American!

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 6,161

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Not a bad pickup...the guy can play nickle or dime.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #10
Hamrob
All-American!
 
Hamrob's Avatar
 
All-American!

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 6,161

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBroncos84 View Post
Won't be able to get over that for awhile. Well, until we are once again a winning franchise. To me, that is the worst mistake he has made to date.
Well...I wouldn't have let Cutler go...but this ranks right up there.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #11
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus
 
UberBroncoMan's Avatar
 
Wut

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,064

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig
Default

Funniness with this aside.

Nate Jones doesn't actually look like a bad signing at all. I'm curious how fast he is though.

http://www.nfl.com/players/profile?id=JON636637

16 games with 4 starts.

10 pass deflections to go with 2 INT's and 2 FF's and a solid tackle rate. Even 1 sack.

He'll be 28 this season. So not 30+ like we've done with most signings.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:33 PM   #12
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus
 
UberBroncoMan's Avatar
 
Wut

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,064

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBroncos84 View Post
Won't be able to get over that for awhile. Well, until we are once again a winning franchise. To me, that is the worst mistake he has made to date.
It still is void of logic to me. It was so ****ing stupid.

I could understand he wanted to give him a year to grow in the NFL. But Alphonso Smith was a 24 year old rookie... now he's 25 this year.

With Champ and Goodman still starting, and this signing (looks like he was signed specifically for the nickle position) it seems the Smith pick was a complete waist.

Hell that undrafted CB outplayed Smith (name escapes me atm).

That #14 pick could have been HUGE for us this year.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:37 PM   #13
GoBroncos84
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
GoBroncos84's Avatar
 
Crucify the Ego

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 758

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
Well...I wouldn't have let Cutler go...but this ranks right up there.
Neither would I, I hated that trade. But an argument can be made that we got decent value out of it (in terms of pick compensation, we haven't proven success in what we used those picks for). But the alphonso trade, so far, looks horrific value wise.

I am supporting McD and giving him a chance, not trying to bash. All of this has been discussed. Just elaborating on my comment.
GoBroncos84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #14
GoBroncos84
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
GoBroncos84's Avatar
 
Crucify the Ego

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 758

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
It still is void of logic to me. It was so ****ing stupid.

I could understand he wanted to give him a year to grow in the NFL. But Alphonso Smith was a 24 year old rookie... now he's 25 this year.

With Champ and Goodman still starting, and this signing (looks like he was signed specifically for the nickle position) it seems the Smith pick was a complete waist.

Hell that undrafted CB outplayed Smith (name escapes me atm).

That #14 pick could have been HUGE for us this year.
Not only that, but if they really wanted Smith why not package picks in that draft and move up? Instead of making the trade to get Quinn, add another pick or player to move up further in the 2nd and get Smith rather than using a future 1st. I don't mind them being aggressive and getting someone they really want, but don't be stupid. Look at how NE manipulates the draft, he needs to learn from that.
GoBroncos84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:42 PM   #15
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 11,205

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

They are saying 4 years with a max value of 13.6 million so it looks like around 10 million over 4 years, not bad.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #16
montrose
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 6,072

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default

Alphonso's just not a nickel, Med went into detail about this. His skills are that of an outside, man-to-man CB. Smith, Goodman and Jones could make a nice trio of CBs for a the future.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:12 PM   #17
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos
 
The MVPlaya's Avatar
 
out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,372
Default

This is not because of Alphonso Smith or anything to do with him - this is about gearing up for the Colts.
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #18
Goobzilla
Lights Out B***h!
 
Goobzilla's Avatar
 
BA-ZING!!

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Wellington
Posts: 6,416

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mitch Erickson
Default

Wait for it...
Goobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #19
TDmvp
Ring of Famer
 
TDmvp's Avatar
 
This ones for Pat...

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goobzilla View Post
Wait for it...
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:17 PM   #20
TheDave
Sauced...
 
TheDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MVPlaya View Post
This is not because of Alphonso Smith or anything to do with him - this is about gearing up for the Colts.
Some of you fan boys would have a lot more credibility if you didn't say such stupid things.

This signing has everything to do with Smith and his lack of production last year. Now maybe he can still turn inyto a player, but at this point we are signing a FA to $3 mil a year to play his position.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #21
521 1N5
Perennial Pro-bowler
 

Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 961
Default

Dang that hurts my Eric Berry possibility...
521 1N5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:35 PM   #22
Zoobie
Love Machine
 
Zoobie's Avatar
 
The John Fox trot

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Portland,OR
Posts: 461

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
Some of you fan boys would have a lot more credibility if you didn't say such stupid things.

This signing has everything to do with Smith and his lack of production last year. Now maybe he can still turn inyto a player, but at this point we are signing a FA to $3 mil a year to play his position.
The Nickelback is not Smith's position, but okay.
Zoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:36 PM   #23
montrose
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 6,072

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
Some of you fan boys would have a lot more credibility if you didn't say such stupid things.

This signing has everything to do with Smith and his lack of production last year. Now maybe he can still turn inyto a player, but at this point we are signing a FA to $3 mil a year to play his position.
Yes and no Dave, I'm sure the Broncos would love for Smith to slide into the NB spot but Med's analysis (and Smith's play at camp) showed his skillset just doesn't lend itself well to the NB spot and he's more ideally suited to be an outside man-to-man CB. It would be awesome if he flourished as a NB but taking a guy who was a ballhawk in college playing man and asking him to cover veteran slot guys on option routes in zone coverage is just not ideal for a rookie.

Here's what Med had to say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
I just watched some old film of Smith at Wake when I was Watching Film on Brandon Ghee, just to compare them. Smith was a freaking Playmaker at Wake with a 21 INTS, 9 sacks, 23.5 tackles behind the line of scrimmage and eight forced fumbles for his career. He also could cover outside pretty damn well, but they did not use him in the slot very much, which could be why he did not play well there this past season.

This kid has a ton of natural talent to play CB, and it was not there last year for some reason. The real reason may be playing inside in so much space with a lot of Zone responsibilities. That was not why he was such a playmaker at Wake. He was a much better outside CB that really recognized routes and anticipated throws. I think he got lost inside trying to cover quicker and smarter players across zones with much more complicated route patterns game to game.

I am not sure how much he learned from that, but if he did, he can be a weapon there. The kid can blitz, makes solid tackles behind the LOS, and can cover. I just hope he learns quickly and can make the adjustments needed to play the slot at this level. I know he can play outside at this level, but that is not where they need him right now.

So, I'll take a chance on him and say he will break out this year. He was a playmaker outside in college, and I think he works hard enough to try and be one in the slot this year too.
http://orangemane.com/BB/showpost.ph...4&postcount=45
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:44 PM   #24
TheDave
Sauced...
 
TheDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
Yes and no Dave, I'm sure the Broncos would love for Smith to slide into the NB spot but Med's analysis (and Smith's play at camp) showed his skillset just doesn't lend itself well to the NB spot and he's more ideally suited to be an outside man-to-man CB. It would be awesome if he flourished as a NB but taking a guy who was a ballhawk in college playing man and asking him to cover veteran slot guys on option routes in zone coverage is just not ideal for a rookie.

Here's what Med had to say:


http://orangemane.com/BB/showpost.ph...4&postcount=45
Sorry Montorse, but Med is taking a guess at why he sucked last year. Read what he said again...

Quote:
but they did not use him in the slot very much, which could be why he did not play well there this past season
Quote:
This kid has a ton of natural talent to play CB, and it was not there last year for some reason
Quote:
The real reason may be playing inside
Quote:
I think he got lost inside
Now, I'm beyond carring why he sucked... and to be honest it looks like the coaches are too.

Regardless of why he is having trouble in the NFL we just signed ANOTHER corner that as of today is ahead of him on the depth chart...
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:46 PM   #25
KipCorrington25
Free Safety
 
KipCorrington25's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Centennial
Posts: 3,712
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoobie View Post
The Nickelback is not Smith's position, but okay.

True, we need a higher denomination of coin for Smith to get on the field, maybe the Silver Dollar Back, only plays if there are 100 DB's needed.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:02 PM.


Denver Broncos