The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,732
Default OT-Psych 101

Ok, I am taking psychology 101, and this class is possibly the wierdest one I have ever been in. I have never taken a class based on a science that relies more on a gray area than this course. Are all psychology courses this way or am I just in a special class?


Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
OABB
sarcasm font
 
OABB's Avatar
 
always on.

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los angeles
Posts: 7,475

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Ok, I am taking psychology 101, and this class is possibly the wierdest one I have ever been in. I have never taken a class based on a science that relies more on a gray area than this course. Are all psychology courses this way or am I just in a special class?


they are all this way...It's a psuedo science. Just like prescription drugs for depression. I tried to argue this before but got a lot of psychculties upset(the dave)...
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Kingdom of Solipsism
Posts: 2,896

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?
Default

No, they aren't all that way. Psychological Stat classes and Psych Research and Methods class are pretty math based. Cognitive psychology and Abnormal Psychology tends to rely much more on biology, than say Freud. While classes like Psychology of Personality really work with metaphor to understand how the mind works.

Psychology as a discipline has it's roots in the Humanities, so an introductory course, is likely to be less science-y.

All 101 classes tend to short-sell their disciplines. Institutionally, 101 courses are used to weed out non-majors who aren't serious about the given discipline. So they tend to be tedious and generalized.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,131

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Psych is not pseudoscience, it is just not as reliable as other sciences based on the limitations of self reporting. It still follows the scientific method, but the science part is harder to establish without objective measures like chemistry, physics, and biology. It requires a ton of subjective analysis and much more research to quantify results.

In essence, a lot of people might call it pseudo science because it uses more qualitative data versus quantatative data. The whole problem of narrowing variables and isolating results makes it much less reliable in its results than some of the other sciences.

I think it will grow as neuroscience expands its parameters to establish certain things that currently can not be measured. However, I will call it a limited science because it can not explain things as easily as chemistry can. I am a big fan of Cognitive-Behavioral science, but it suffers from the same things all psychology studies do. Humans are predictable, but not reliable sources of data.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
Play2win
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,633

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke
Default

B.S. - M.S. - PhD.

Bullsh*t... More Sh*t... Piled Higher and Deeper...
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs
 
Br0nc0Buster's Avatar
 
Oh........yea

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 6,024
Default

A lot of it is backed by evidence based models

It is a bit more abstract and therefore can seem like it is less scientific, but for the stuff your class will be talking it is far from "pseudoscience"

I have taken 3 psych classes so far and enjoyed all of them
Interesting stuff

I recall learning about parts of the brain and basic emotions in my intro psych class
IMO it starts getting better once you get past the intro stuff
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:35 PM   #7
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
A lot of it is backed by evidence based models

It is a bit more abstract and therefore can seem like it is less scientific, but for the stuff your class will be talking it is far from "pseudoscience"

I have taken 3 psych classes so far and enjoyed all of them
Interesting stuff

I recall learning about parts of the brain and basic emotions in my intro psych class
IMO it starts getting better once you get past the intro stuff

We learned about the brain. For midterms she is having us write a paper on any topic we've covered rather than give us a test. So I wrote about Erik Erikson's psychosocial development stages.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #8
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it
 
Cito Pelon's Avatar
 
Not2Shabby County Seat

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AFC Championshipville, NotTooShabby County
Posts: 16,791

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby
Default

WTF, it was an elective, right? You could have chosen a better elective, IMO. What's your major?

Psych 101 is where you meet potential party partners, basically. There's maybe one person in the 40 Psych 101 classes offered at a major University that will get a PhD in psychology. It's a party elective, they may as well call it Party 101 or FoolAround 101.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
OABB
sarcasm font
 
OABB's Avatar
 
always on.

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los angeles
Posts: 7,475

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Psych is not pseudoscience, it is just not as reliable as other sciences based on the limitations of self reporting. It still follows the scientific method, but the science part is harder to establish without objective measures like chemistry, physics, and biology. It requires a ton of subjective analysis and much more research to quantify results.

In essence, a lot of people might call it pseudo science because it uses more qualitative data versus quantatative data. The whole problem of narrowing variables and isolating results makes it much less reliable in its results than some of the other sciences.

I think it will grow as neuroscience expands its parameters to establish certain things that currently can not be measured. However, I will call it a limited science because it can not explain things as easily as chemistry can. I am a big fan of Cognitive-Behavioral science, but it suffers from the same things all psychology studies do. Humans are predictable, but not reliable sources of data.


You say Tomato I say Tomato.....Psuedoscience or "Limited" science as you call it makes the same basic point.

Limited is as "grey area" as psuedo imo.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #10
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
WTF, it was an elective, right? You could have chosen a better elective, IMO. What's your major?

Psych 101 is where you meet potential party partners, basically. There's maybe one person in the 40 Psych 101 classes offered at a major University that will get a PhD in psychology. It's a party elective, they may as well call it Party 101 or FoolAround 101.

Anthropology and political science. It is an elective. I wanted to take abnormal psych, but the advisor thought this would be a better class...


Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:50 PM   #11
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!
 
Ray Finkle's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,552
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Ok, I am taking psychology 101, and this class is possibly the wierdest one I have ever been in. I have never taken a class based on a science that relies more on a gray area than this course. Are all psychology courses this way or am I just in a special class?


101 is typically crap. It when you get into some of the more specialized classes, that it gets interesting. Abnormal Psych, Physiology, Developmental....those were some of my favorites.

I was a Psych Major/Criminology Minor in my undergrad years.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:52 PM   #12
Pick Six
Armchair Poster
 
Pick Six's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 22,796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Anthropology and political science. It is an elective. I wanted to take abnormal psych, but the advisor thought this would be a better class...


That could have been a wrong move. You're in political science. It doesn't get much more "abnormal" than politicians...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:58 PM   #13
OOJack
Go Broncos!
 
OOJack's Avatar
 
Go Broncos!

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 530

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Plummer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Psych is not pseudoscience, it is just not as reliable as other sciences based on the limitations of self reporting. It still follows the scientific method, but the science part is harder to establish without objective measures like chemistry, physics, and biology. It requires a ton of subjective analysis and much more research to quantify results.

In essence, a lot of people might call it pseudo science because it uses more qualitative data versus quantatative data. The whole problem of narrowing variables and isolating results makes it much less reliable in its results than some of the other sciences.

I think it will grow as neuroscience expands its parameters to establish certain things that currently can not be measured. However, I will call it a limited science because it can not explain things as easily as chemistry can. I am a big fan of Cognitive-Behavioral science, but it suffers from the same things all psychology studies do. Humans are predictable, but not reliable sources of data.
Psychology is not a science. It's a bunch of random theories.
OOJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #14
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it
 
Cito Pelon's Avatar
 
Not2Shabby County Seat

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AFC Championshipville, NotTooShabby County
Posts: 16,791

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Anthropology and political science. It is an elective. I wanted to take abnormal psych, but the advisor thought this would be a better class...


You have a double major? Are you planning on making a career from those, or do you just want a great education?

You'll get a great education from Political Science courses, because you'll have to read and read and read and read from Aristotle to Henry Kissinger. I only made it to PoliSci 301 and the professor asked me if I was serious about it or just fooling around, taking a slot away from someone. I said I'm just trying to learn, he said "Here's a reading list for you, and don't take 401."

In fairness, I was just fooling around. I was on the GI Bill, and trying to cram as much education into the 48 months available, not serious about a PoliSci degree. That PoliSci 301 was pretty brutal.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:09 PM   #15
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
You have a double major? Are you planning on making a career from those, or do you just want a great education?

You'll get a great education from Political Science courses, because you'll have to read and read and read and read from Aristotle to Henry Kissinger. I only made it to PoliSci 301 and the professor asked me if I was serious about it or just fooling around, taking a slot away from someone. I said I'm just trying to learn, he said "Here's a reading list for you, and don't take 401."

In fairness, I was just fooling around. I was on the GI Bill, and trying to cram as much education into the 48 months available, not serious about a PoliSci degree. That PoliSci 301 was pretty brutal.

Both. People interest me. We are all crazy, so that is why I am taking anthropology, political science just has my interest, and I want to pursue it. Reading im good with.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #16
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!
 
Ray Finkle's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,552
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOJack View Post
Psychology is not a science. It's a bunch of random theories.
to those that don't study it. Psychology is more math based than I think you realize.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:15 PM   #17
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it
 
Cito Pelon's Avatar
 
Not2Shabby County Seat

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AFC Championshipville, NotTooShabby County
Posts: 16,791

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Anthropology and political science. It is an elective. I wanted to take abnormal psych, but the advisor thought this would be a better class...


History would be a better elective for you. You can probably skip the survey history courses because you're a PoliSci/anthropology major. You could jump into History 201 or even 301. PoliSci and History go hand in hand, they dovetail.

I think you'll find some of the same reading material applies to both. Look into it. A big deal is to go talk to your professors a lot, take every opportunity to talk to them during office hours, catch them after class, any opportunity you get.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:18 PM   #18
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
History would be a better elective for you. You can probably skip the survey history courses because you're a PoliSci/anthropology major. You could jump into History 201 or even 301. PoliSci and History go hand in hand, they dovetail.

I think you'll find some of the same reading material applies to both. Look into it. A big deal is to go talk to your professors a lot, take every opportunity to talk to them during office hours, catch them after class, any opportunity you get.

I have 5 classes this semester. 3 of them have to deal directly with my majors. Other two are geography and psychology. One is an elective, the other a requirement...cant believe I have to take geography again.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:19 PM   #19
OOJack
Go Broncos!
 
OOJack's Avatar
 
Go Broncos!

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 530

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Plummer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
to those that don't study it. Psychology is more math based than I think you realize.
haha, i have, it's more like a religion than anything...and if you mean statistical analysis on pools of individuals, that doesn't count.
OOJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #20
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it
 
Cito Pelon's Avatar
 
Not2Shabby County Seat

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AFC Championshipville, NotTooShabby County
Posts: 16,791

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Both. People interest me. We are all crazy, so that is why I am taking anthropology, political science just has my interest, and I want to pursue it. Reading im good with.

So anthropology is your major, minor in PoliSci?
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #21
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
So anthropology is your major, minor in PoliSci?

Double major. If I added a minor I think my head would explode. My advisors recommended I load up as many of the required classes as possible the first 3 semesters, with some electives sprinkled in...some of these classes I took back in middle school. Seems a little redundant.


Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:41 PM   #22
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!
 
Ray Finkle's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,552
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOJack View Post
haha, i have, it's more like a religion than anything...and if you mean statistical analysis on pools of individuals, that doesn't count.
not at all...it all depends on what field you are concentrating on. Metapsychology may be similar but you cannot compare all psychological studies to religious studies.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:42 PM   #23
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it
 
Cito Pelon's Avatar
 
Not2Shabby County Seat

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AFC Championshipville, NotTooShabby County
Posts: 16,791

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Double major. If I added a minor I think my head would explode. My advisors recommended I load up as many of the required classes as possible the first 3 semesters, with some electives sprinkled in...some of these classes I took back in middle school. Seems a little redundant.


Seems to me you've been around a little bit, so you can tell your advisors "geography" is not gonna happen. You can probably jump into more advanced classes and skip the 101 garbage. I went through the same baloney when I jumped from the US Army to University. They thought I was just some dumb **** with just a high school diploma and couldn't jump past the survey courses. I challenged a few times and took it to the omnibus. And won.

Don't f around, if you're sure of your knowledge tell them you want to jump right into 201 or 301. Of course, you're gonna have to read and read and read and read. I mean really read like crazy.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #24
OOJack
Go Broncos!
 
OOJack's Avatar
 
Go Broncos!

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 530

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Plummer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
not at all...it all depends on what field you are concentrating on. Metapsychology may be similar but you cannot compare all psychological studies to religious studies.
opinion, not science
OOJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:58 PM   #25
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer
 
Irish Stout's Avatar
 
Run for it Marty!

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,072

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOJack View Post
opinion, not science
Biological Psychology and Clinical Psychology disagree with you.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:27 AM.


Denver Broncos