The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,296
Default Rumors abound that Bears want Brandon Marshall

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 3, 2010 10:45 AM ET

Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall says he's willing to stay in Denver this year, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen says he wants to keep Marshall and Broncos coach Josh McDaniels thinks it can work.

And yet hardly anyone seems to think Marshall will be a Bronco in 2010.

The biggest question is which team would be the best landing spot for Marshall, and Neil Hayes of the Chicago Sun-Times reports that it could be the Bears. Hayes writes that Bears GM Jerry Angelo's comments about wide receiver not being a ''need'' position are viewed by many as a smoke screen, and that one NFL source wagered a steak dinner on Marshall being in a Bears uniform when camp opens.

We're not sure whether Hayes accepted the wager, or whether the Sun-Times allows its reporters to wager dinners with sources, but the bottom line is that the Bears are among the handful of teams that are consistently named as a potential suitor for Marshall's services.

Bears quarterback Jay Cutler had a good rapport with Marshall when they were teammates in Denver, and new Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz would love to add a talented wide receiver to the offense. It's safe to say this won't be the last time we hear talk about the Bears acquiring Marshall.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ndon-marshall/

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/hayes...neil03.article
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
Conklin
Ring of Famer
 
Conklin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Springfield, Misery
Posts: 3,141
Default

and which player would they trade for him since they don't pick until the third round
Conklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
El Jué
Somewhat disillusioned
 
El Jué's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 294

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gene Mingo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conklin View Post
and which player would they trade for him since they don't pick until the third round
We could use a quarterback.
El Jué is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,148

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Cutler picks is ours, second rounder is Tampa Bay's for Gaines Adam who passed on. Third round wouldn't be sufficient this year, and I'm trying to think of a player on their team that would add in the value to compensate for Marshall's worth. If a player did accompany him, I'd have to suspect a future pick no less than the second-round as well.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #5
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,296
Default

Very, very, very unlikely but how about Olsen and picks?


Olsen unhappy with hiring of Martz, wants a trade
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 3, 2010 9:59 AM ET

New Chicago Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz has signaled that he doesn't think tight end Greg Olsen is a good fit in his offense, noting that he believes a tight end's responsibility is to block while the Bears have been sending out signals that they want to sign tight end Brandon Manumaleuna.

It turns out the feeling is mutual.

Peggy Kusinski of NBC Chicago reports that friends of Olsen say he was not happy about the hiring of Martz, and that he quietly sent his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, into "trade request" mode. According to Kusinski, the Arizona Cardinals and New England Patriots may be interested.

Olsen led the Bears in catches (60) and touchdowns (eight) in 2009.


http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...wants-a-trade/
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:38 AM   #6
jhns
Ring of Famer
 
but you still can't C me!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 12,362

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

It would make sense that they are at least looking into getting Marshall. They just invested a ton in a QB that didn't live up to expectations. Getting him some good weapons could help that problem.

I don't want to see Marshall go but the Bears wouldn't be a bad team to trade him to. At least they would likely be forced to trade us a good player since they don't have any good picks. I really don't want to see Marshall go for picks(unless those picks get us Bradford or Sue, which isn't happening).
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
Cool Breeze
Ring of Famer
 
Cool Breeze's Avatar
 
Broncos Rock!

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: south of town
Posts: 1,223
Default

It's safe to say this won't be the last time we hear talk about the Bears acquiring Marshall.

Probably cause Florio throws **** at the wall to see if it sticks.
Cool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #8
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

[QUOTE=TonyR;2764795]Posted by Michael David Smith on March 3, 2010 10:45 AM ET

Quote:
Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall says he's willing to stay in Denver this year, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen says he wants to keep Marshall and Broncos coach Josh McDaniels thinks it can work.

And yet hardly anyone seems to think Marshall will be a Bronco in 2010.
That seems to be the concensus around here too

Quote:
Bears quarterback Jay Cutler had a good rapport with Marshall when they were teammates in Denver, and new Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz would love to add a talented wide receiver to the offense.
And won't they love to have him!

I don't want to lose Marshall and force us to have to draft an extra WR when we could use all the help we can get in some other areas.
That said, the bears don't have enough to offer to get Marshall...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #9
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Zack Bowman, Olin Kreutz, and a 2011 first round draft pick.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:42 AM   #10
Cool Breeze
Ring of Famer
 
Cool Breeze's Avatar
 
Broncos Rock!

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: south of town
Posts: 1,223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Cutler picks is ours, second rounder is Tampa Bay's for Gaines Adam who passed on. Third round wouldn't be sufficient this year, and I'm trying to think of a player on their team that would add in the value to compensate for Marshall's worth. If a player did accompany him, I'd have to suspect a future pick no less than the second-round as well.
Olsen, 2010 3rd, 2010 4th, 2nd 2011
Cool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:43 AM   #11
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Næstved, DK
Posts: 11,166

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Getting Olsen would be stupid, Mcdaniels doesn't use recieving TEs nearly as much as Olsen wants to.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #12
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 25,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Very, very, very unlikely but how about Olsen and picks?


Olsen unhappy with hiring of Martz, wants a trade
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 3, 2010 9:59 AM ET

New Chicago Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz has signaled that he doesn't think tight end Greg Olsen is a good fit in his offense, noting that he believes a tight end's responsibility is to block while the Bears have been sending out signals that they want to sign tight end Brandon Manumaleuna.

It turns out the feeling is mutual.

Peggy Kusinski of NBC Chicago reports that friends of Olsen say he was not happy about the hiring of Martz, and that he quietly sent his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, into "trade request" mode. According to Kusinski, the Arizona Cardinals and New England Patriots may be interested.

Olsen led the Bears in catches (60) and touchdowns (eight) in 2009.


http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...wants-a-trade/
the broncos don't need another receiving TE....
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:45 AM   #13
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!
 
Ray Finkle's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,540
Default

Olsen is a more consistant Sheffler....

If they could flip Olsen for a 1st/2nd and then trade that and their third, I'd do it.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:45 AM   #14
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Getting Olsen would be stupid, Mcdaniels doesn't use recieving TEs nearly as much as Olsen wants to.
Unless he would be getting rid of Scheffler, still not a good move...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #15
yerner
Ring of Famer
 
yerner's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Charlottesville VA
Posts: 3,936
Default

Olsen ain't yielding anything close to a first or second rounder. Average receiving tight ends are a dime a dozen.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:48 AM   #16
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!
 
Ray Finkle's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post
Olsen ain't yielding anything close to a first or second rounder. Average receiving tight ends are a dime a dozen.
true but there are a lot of stupid GM's.....
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:51 AM   #17
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,406

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Olsen was pretty much their entire offense last season and was obviously Cutler's "go to" guy in key situations (both on and off the field, judging by the pics floating around the Net). He seemed to be the only guy that was consistently in the right place at the right time. They'd be absolutely insane to let him go.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:53 AM   #18
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs
 
Br0nc0Buster's Avatar
 
Oh........yea

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,918
Default

There isnt anyone on the Bears roster that I would trade Marshall for

I used to think Marshall was as good as gone, but I am starting to think it is very likely he stays in Denver
Not sure any team is gonna wanna part with their 1st rounder for him
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:55 AM   #19
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Næstved, DK
Posts: 11,166

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
Unless he would be getting rid of Scheffler, still not a good move...
No, he never has, no TE has ever topped 50 receptions in a Mcdaniels offense so I doubt Olsen would want to be the next guy to go under 50 catches - if he won't do it in Chicago why would he want to in Denver? Besides he is not a very good blocker which you have to be in this system.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:01 AM   #20
bronco610
OLD FART
 
bronco610's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 1,839

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Olsen was pretty much their entire offense last season and was obviously Cutler's "go to" guy in key situations (both on and off the field, judging by the pics floating around the Net). He seemed to be the only guy that was consistently in the right place at the right time. They'd be absolutely insane to let him go.
Mike Martz....... Insane.......... Works for me.
bronco610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:03 AM   #21
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,728

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

it makes zero sense as many have pointed out, we don't want future picks and they have nothing else to give us equal value

Chicago really put themselves in a hole with the trade last year, they basically have to either NAIL their scouting in this year's draft or spend a lot of dough

probably both
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:04 AM   #22
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
No, he never has, no TE has ever topped 50 receptions in a Mcdaniels offense so I doubt Olsen would want to be the next guy to go under 50 catches - if he won't do it in Chicago why would he want to in Denver? Besides he is not a very good blocker which you have to be in this system.
Scheffler is the same type player.
But the most important thing in my mind is that we don't need to trade Marshall to get players we really don't need in exchange.
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:07 AM   #23
Pick Six
Armchair Poster
 
Pick Six's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 22,646

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default

I'd probably take Tommie Harris, even with his injury issues. The guy is a beast, when he's playing...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:09 AM   #24
underrated29
Ahoy
 
You lika da sexy

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,179

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

total crap but maybe a 3 team trade.


bears- get marshall and pick
Ariz-get olsen and pick
den- get boldin and future pick


Obvioulsy, that wouldnt be it, but maybe something close... AZ could def use Olsen at TE, the bears could def use marshall and we could def replace him with boldin.
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #25
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,540

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

It would have to be a three team deal. Chicago doesn't have the juice that we need.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:02 AM.


Denver Broncos