The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
GoBroncos84
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
GoBroncos84's Avatar
 
Crucify the Ego

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 758

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default Post Combine / Pre Free Agency draft

First mock of the offseason. I have not included any trades or free agency signings, just a straight mock for now. Consider all of our RFA players to still be on the team. All comments, whether in agreement or disagreement, are welcome. Thanks


Round 1- Rolando McClain ILB Alabama

Quite simply, I think McClain will be the best player available at our pick and he seems to be exactly the kind of person and player that we are looking for. In all of McDaniels interviews he says he wants smart, tough, physical players with high character. Read any scouting report on Rolo and you see those attributes mentioned. I am disappointed he did not work out at the combine, and I do not believe ILB is even close to our biggest need. Very tempted to take Dan Williams with this pick. But I am going with McClain, and if he and Ayers develop as they should we will have one of the very best linebacker groups in the entire league. I don't think there is any way that Dez Bryant is the pick whether we keep Marshall or not. He doesn't fit the mold of what McD wants. McClain does

Round 2- J.D. Walton C Baylor

This guy is a bruiser on the inside and a first team All American. McD has stated we are going to get bigger. With Weigmann gone and a full switch away from zone blocking and into a power scheme we need to take a top notch center early in the draft. Pouncey shouldn't be available at this pick, so Walton is the choice

Round 3- Linval Joseph NT East Carolina

Nose tackle might be our biggest need. We need to beef up on the defensive line. Dan Williams will be considered in the first, but McClain is more of a sure thing. Cody probably doesn't fall to us in the 2nd round, and there are questions on his ability to stay on the field and keeping his weight down. So in the 3rd we may be looking at Joseph, Cam Thomas, and Torrell Troup. Thomas looked great during the senior bowl, but from my studies it hasn't shown up as much on film at UNC. I don't put great stock in the combine, but Joseph put up 39 reps and ran a 5.09 at 328 pounds. Very impressive athlete for his size. He edges out Troup

Round 4- John Jerry G Ole Miss (ALT pick: Jacoby Ford KR/WR Clemson)

Again, we need to get bigger and more physical on the interior line. Jerry is 6-5 328, and can add weight if needed. He dropped quite a bit for the combine. All SEC first team, probably the safer pick over a player like Brandon Carter. I originally had Jacoby Ford at this pick because I think we could use a dynamic player in the return game, so if Seth Olsen and Chris Kuper can get it done then I would switch back to taking Ford. Very torn between the two, but guard seems to be the bigger need.

Round 6- Corey Peters DE Kentucky

More beef for the front 7. 6-3 300lbs. and moves pretty well for his size. With how deep this draft is, on the defensive line in particular, Peters is really under the radar. This could be a great value pick late in the draft. Might not be a natural 5 technique, but most college players don't play that system anyway. Corey is worth taking a shot on if he is still available.

Round 7- Matt Dodge P East Carolina

Mitch Berger. No more elaboration is needed



Obviously free agency, trades, and pro days will change the outlook before the draft. Would you guys be happy with this draft? Why or why not...

Last edited by GoBroncos84; 03-02-2010 at 06:22 PM..
GoBroncos84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2010, 09:58 PM   #2
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler
 
iforgotmypassword's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 871
Default

I'd trade Marshall and Sheff... this draft could be the core of our team, plus trade one first for Franklin from San Fran... boy o boy o boy, I like the JD Walton pick and gotta love what we've seen from Jacoby Ford
iforgotmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:10 AM   #3
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,434

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

To me, Dan Williams is the pick. Hands down. IMO, just sticking him in the middle of the line makes the entire LB corps better (although we still need to upgrade there). If he's not there, I want to trade down for more picks. Other than that, I like it. I'm not really in love with McClain. I can't put my finger on it, but watching him in the Senior Bowl, I expected him to dominate, given all the hype. He didn't. But he's good. No doubt about that. He'll probably get better with NFL coaching. Another name I would toss around if Williams and McClain was gone is Benn. I suspect he's going to be a scoring machine in the NFL. Love the Walton and Linval Joseph picks. I like those two as well. Getting Williams, Walton and Joseph would really make my day.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #4
Traveler
Traveling Man!
 
Traveler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,418

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBroncos84 View Post
First mock of the offseason. I have not included any trades or free agency signings, just a straight mock for now. Consider all of our RFA players to still be on the team. All comments, whether in agreement or disagreement, are welcome. Thanks


Round 1- Rolando McClain ILB Alabama

Quite simply, I think McClain will be the best player available at our pick and he seems to be exactly the kind of person and player that we are looking for. In all of McDaniels interviews he says he wants smart, tough, physical players with high character. Read any scouting report on Rolo and you see those attributes mentioned. I am disappointed he did not work out at the combine, and I do not believe ILB is even close to our biggest need. Very tempted to take Dan Williams with this pick. But I am going with McClain, and if he and Ayers develop as they should we will have one of the very best linebacker groups in the entire league. I don't think there is any way that Dez Bryant is the pick whether we keep Marshall or not. He doesn't fit the mold of what McD wants. McClain does

Round 2- J.D. Walton C Baylor

This guy is a bruiser on the inside and a first team All American. McD has stated we are going to get bigger. With Weigmann gone and a full switch away from zone blocking and into a power scheme we need to take a top notch center early in the draft. Pouncey shouldn't be available at this pick, so Walton is the choice

Round 3- Linval Joseph NT East Carolina

Nose tackle might be our biggest need. We need to beef up on the defensive line. Dan Williams will be considered in the first, but McClain is more of a sure thing. Cody probably doesn't fall to us in the 2nd round, and there are questions on his ability to stay on the field and keeping his weight down. So in the 3rd we may be looking at Joseph, Cam Thomas, and Torrell Troup. Thomas looked great during the senior bowl, but from my studies it hasn't shown up as much on film at UNC. I don't put great stock in the combine, but Joseph put up 39 reps and ran a 5.09 at 328 pounds. Very impressive athlete for his size. He edges out Troup

Round 4- John Jerry G Ole Miss (ALT pick: Jacoby Ford KR/WR Clemson)

Again, we need to get bigger and more physical on the interior line. Jerry is 6-5 328, and can add weight if needed. He dropped quite a bit for the combine. All SEC first team, probably the safer pick over a player like Brandon Carter. I originally had Jacoby Ford at this pick because I think we could use a dynamic player in the return game, so if Seth Olsen and Chris Kuper can get it done then I would switch back to taking Ford. Very torn between the two, but guard seems to be the bigger need.

Round 6- Corey Peters DE Kentucky

More beef for the front 7. 6-3 300lbs. and moves pretty well for his size. With how deep this draft is, on the defensive line in particular, Peters is really under the radar. This could be a great value pick late in the draft. Might not be a natural 5 technique, but most college players don't play that system anyway. Corey is worth taking a shot on if he is still available.

Round 7- Matt Dodge P East Carolina

Mitch Berger. No more elaboration is needed



Obviously free agency, trades, and pro days will change the outlook before the draft. Would you guys be happy with this draft? Why or why not...
Nice mock draft GB84.

Until we settle the BM, Dumervil, Kuper, and Scheffler situations, it's still too hard to determine which direction Denver should go. We don't know what, if any, compensation we'll receive.

I'd be a happy camper if they focus solely on the trenches because this draft is deep at those positions of need. We need more powerful, wide-bodied players with talent.

They must address the lines early and often IMO.
Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
TheDave
Sauced...
 
TheDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 15,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
To me, Dan Williams is the pick. Hands down. IMO, just sticking him in the middle of the line makes the entire LB corps better (although we still need to upgrade there). If he's not there, I want to trade down for more picks. Other than that, I like it. I'm not really in love with McClain. I can't put my finger on it, but watching him in the Senior Bowl, I expected him to dominate, given all the hype. He didn't. But he's good. No doubt about that. He'll probably get better with NFL coaching. Another name I would toss around if Williams and McClain was gone is Benn. I suspect he's going to be a scoring machine in the NFL. Love the Walton and Linval Joseph picks. I like those two as well. Getting Williams, Walton and Joseph would really make my day.
100% agree with the Dan williams pick and I don't get the McClain hype either...

Something else to consider, the more I watch Weatherspoon the more I think he has a chance to be taken at #11.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:33 AM   #6
ColoradoBuff
Ring of Famer
 
ColoradoBuff's Avatar
 
In Manning We Trust......

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Where the buffalo roam....
Posts: 2,134

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins
Default

I would love either Williams or 'Spoon at 11
ColoradoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #7
meangene
Ring of Famer
 
meangene's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
100% agree with the Dan williams pick and I don't get the McClain hype either...

Something else to consider, the more I watch Weatherspoon the more I think he has a chance to be taken at #11.
I've been on the McClain bandwagon from the start. I like Williams but I think we can get a solid NT/DE later in this draft. I don't think ILB is a particularly deep position. That's why McClain is my pick here. I agree with you, though, on Weatherspoon - he is moving up the charts and would fit in well as a 3-4 ILB.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
bap454
Ring of Famer
 
bap454's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,075

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoBuff View Post
I would love either Williams or 'Spoon at 11
I have to say, Im quite surprised there has not been more talk of "Spoon". I was not a real fan of his until the Senior Bowl/ Combine. This guy was absolutely amazing. I really think this guy has a legit chance to be our number 11 pick. Mayock stated that he could possibly play all LB positions. I know we had a formal sit down with him. Thoughts?
bap454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #9
TheDave
Sauced...
 
TheDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 15,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangene View Post
I've been on the McClain bandwagon from the start. I like Williams but I think we can get a solid NT/DE later in this draft. I don't think ILB is a particularly deep position. That's why McClain is my pick here. I agree with you, though, on Weatherspoon - he is moving up the charts and would fit in well as a 3-4 ILB.
With neither Mcclain nor spikes working out at the combine (I think both would have run 4.7+), I think spoon is going to leapfrog both of them. Still think Dline needs to be addressed early and often but a stud ILB would be fine with me.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #10
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,149

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

I think this is a pretty great mock considering the players drafted. I think Joseph is going to surprise a lot of people. Actually, all the ECU DL guys I think can do well in the NFL, but that is some serious beef in the trenches. I've actually read some places where Joseph is being rated as a first-round talent.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:39 AM   #11
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
 
bpc's Avatar
 
1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 14,059

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

McClain is like the 5th guy I want in the 1st round. I hope we have better options.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:40 AM   #12
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,110

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Weatherspoon was my favorite LB in this draft coming out, because he has no weaknesses and is a leader. The biggest knock on him from scouts was his production slipped from his unreal Junior year to his senior year.

However, he still played as good as any MIKE in the country, despite never playing there before and relearning all the angles of play. He also added 12 pounds and had to think too much before reading his keys. Anyone who knows football knows that MLB's have to be faster to react than OLB's or they get caught in the wash and neutralized. He lost his solid instincts for a part of the year in the learning curve and it cost him making plays. MIZZOU also was not as solid around him this year and teams paid extra attention to him with gameplanning.

Now, even saying that, he might not be worth a top 15 pick. I heard a lot of people griping about the lack of solid LB's in this draft and would not be surprised to see all the current high value backers drop 5-10 spots once the CB's and DT's move past them on boards. DEN needs DL more than ILB's right now, and the ILB's are not very impressive this year anyway. I am not high on Spikes and McClain has not solved his biggest weakness yet. Instincts and recovery speed. As I said, MLB's have to be quick and decisive in the NFL or they get taken right out of the play. Neither Spikes or McClain show that on film. Actually, they show just the opposite.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #13
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,110

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I think this is a pretty great mock considering the players drafted. I think Joseph is going to surprise a lot of people. Actually, all the ECU DL guys I think can do well in the NFL, but that is some serious beef in the trenches. I've actually read some places where Joseph is being rated as a first-round talent.
Joseph did not show the athleticism that Cam Thomas did in drills. However, Jay Ross turned some heads with his size and Base. He was one of the rare guys who had the height they look for at DT.

The best comment I heard about the Short DT's is they can not get their hands into the quick Passing lanes. It does not mean as much to get penetration as it once did, because the ball is getting out quicker in the NFL. You have to have better size to disrupt the Passing lanes and Hot routes that are becoming so common in NFL passing games today.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #14
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,149

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Joseph did not show the athleticism that Cam Thomas did in drills. However, Jay Ross turned some heads with his size and Base. He was one of the rare guys who had the height they look for at DT.

The best comment I heard about the Short DT's is they can not get their hands into the quick Passing lanes. It does not mean as much to get penetration as it once did, because the ball is getting out quicker in the NFL. You have to have better size to disrupt the Passing lanes and Hot routes that are becoming so common in NFL passing games today.
I can only think of a few times this season where our defensive lineman were able to get their hands up in the air and bat down passes at the L.O.S., which was a few more times than I ever recall it visually happening under the latter years of the Shanahan era. I'm not sure if this is something that these players are taught and work upon in camps, but I would stress it. If the guys aren't able to get to the QB, they should at least give the effort in order to do something to stop the play from happening and absorbing downfield.

Regarding Ross, it sure does sound like he helped make a name for himself in INDY. I still think Joseph is going to be a nice selection for a team and be able to make a name for himself in the NFL. Not sure if it'll be late-round one, but I think he and Thomas are locks for the top 75 picks. I think these guys can play in multiple fronts and such a versatility will make them highly sought commodities (as well as the teams transitioning to the 3-4) on draft day.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #15
SpringStein
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Monument, CO
Posts: 2,792
Default

Love McClain and hope he is our pick.

Like Walton a lot, unfortunately he is a future ZBS center.

Love the Jerry pick, but doubt he lasts though round 3.
SpringStein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #16
GoBroncos84
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
GoBroncos84's Avatar
 
Crucify the Ego

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 758

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

thanks for the feedback. Ideally we would trade back a bit, add some picks. I'd be happy with Williams in the 1st, and there is a good chance that happens. If you changed McClain to Williams and then maybe swapped Joseph for Jamar Chaney in the 3rd in my mock, that would still address the same areas with quality players and i'd be stoked. I don't know that Chaney would be available there though. Spoon is a dynamic player, but seems like he would play DJ's spot in a 3-4. McClain, being the bigger LB, would be a better fit at the strong side interior next to DJ, which is the position I envisioned upgrading. I'm still a DJ fan. Maybe DJ and Spoon could both play inside though.
GoBroncos84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:49 AM   #17
want2bAbronco2
Pro Bowler
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 620
Default

I would call it a great day with that draft! Love Rolo! people that dont understand the hype on him?? Big, fast, and makes plays! Ill say he has the impact Patrick willis didnt in SanFran.
Ford pick I would really like, but I think he will be gone by 4th round, have to take him in 3rd if he is there.
I love that we are finally getting bigger on Dline/Oline. I have hated watching our Oline get mauled for years. I also wouldnt mind taking a beast OT at 11 if one of the top 8 guys falls. Then move him to RT, Harris to RG, and Kuper to LG.
want2bAbronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:56 AM   #18
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,110

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2bAbronco2 View Post
I would call it a great day with that draft! Love Rolo! people that dont understand the hype on him?? Big, fast, and makes plays! Ill say he has the impact Patrick willis didnt in SanFran.
Ford pick I would really like, but I think he will be gone by 4th round, have to take him in 3rd if he is there.
I love that we are finally getting bigger on Dline/Oline. I have hated watching our Oline get mauled for years. I also wouldnt mind taking a beast OT at 11 if one of the top 8 guys falls. Then move him to RT, Harris to RG, and Kuper to LG.
Unless he goes to a team with ELITE DT's to protect him, McClain will not be anywhere near the playmaker he was supposed to be at 'Bama. So much of what he showed on the field was a scheme designed to allow him to make plays, and one he could audible to make sure it did go to him. Most people can see the results, and he had great results, but do not know the why. However, Saban put him in the perfect position to make plays in that scheme. He most likely will not get that in the pros and will have to learn to do it on his own. He is capable, but I think his learning curve or LTI will be stiffer than most people think.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:53 PM   #19
chaz
highly touted recruit
 
chaz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,455

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton
Default

For all the Weatherspoon lovers out there, read this at PFW:

OLB Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri
For as well as Weatherspoon worked out on the field and for as much as his "character" is praised within the Missouri program, he has turned off a number of decision makers just as much with his outlandish, look-at-me, loudmouth personality and has been criticized for worrying too much about his image and post-football career aspirations before he has accomplished anything in the National Football League. "He never shuts up," one top executive said. "He was the loudest guy in the room for the bench press. He gives me a headache. I think he is full of (it). It's all about himself. I don't want him in my locker room."


http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...ers-and-losers

maybe he and Brandon could be best friends.
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:57 PM   #20
chaz
highly touted recruit
 
chaz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,455

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton
Default

Also, I would love to hear from all the Dan Williams lovers why they think he's worth the #11 pick? He had a great senior season, but his effort is inconsistent and i'm not sure how motivated he'll be after a few million is deposited in his account. Seems like a reach just because we need a NT...jarvis moss, cough cough. On talent and production alone there is no way he's the BPA
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:00 PM   #21
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 11,170

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

I don't think there is a single player there I can object to, which is a first I believe.

Honestly, excellent work, and I have to agree with all of it. I am currently waffling between Iupati, Williams and Mcclain in the 1st round, of the 3 I do believe Iupati fills the biggest need, but it is my feeling that Mcclain is the best player of the 3.

Jerry would be nice since he is more of a prospect and would sit out for a season or maybe more to get up to speed, but I believe he has huge upside and could become a very solid G. We do need depth at that position.

Walton is my favourite C prospect, he is solid from a technical standpoint, he can easily play at over 300 lbs and he is a really good run blocker on the inside.
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:44 PM   #22
meangene
Ring of Famer
 
meangene's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,087
Default

The way free agency is going, and, assuming, we end up with a mid to late first round pick for Marshall, I could see McClain and Pouncey in the first.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:55 PM   #23
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,110

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
For all the Weatherspoon lovers out there, read this at PFW:

OLB Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri
For as well as Weatherspoon worked out on the field and for as much as his "character" is praised within the Missouri program, he has turned off a number of decision makers just as much with his outlandish, look-at-me, loudmouth personality and has been criticized for worrying too much about his image and post-football career aspirations before he has accomplished anything in the National Football League. "He never shuts up," one top executive said. "He was the loudest guy in the room for the bench press. He gives me a headache. I think he is full of (it). It's all about himself. I don't want him in my locker room."


http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...ers-and-losers

maybe he and Brandon could be best friends.
That is the biggest combine Double Speak I have ever heard. I saw that, but its posturing. Spoon is not a me guy, he's a leader. He put the team first even though it destroyed his draft stock playing Mike instead of Outside LB.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:02 PM.


Denver Broncos