The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2010, 08:23 PM   #1
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg
Default I doubt we draft Dez Bryant

Just saw this tidbit on yahoo. No way McDaniels puts up with someone like this. (If this has already been posted feel free to merge!

INDIANAPOLIS – Former Oklahoma State wide receiver Dez Bryant is emerging as the favorite for the most dubious title in the NFL Draft.

Three sources with direct knowledge of Bryant from his days in college, where he missed the final 10 games last season because of lying to NCAA investigators, said Bryant’s antics were “consistently irresponsible.”

Bryant is expected to be a first-round pick in April. Some draftniks have predicted that he will go in the top 10, although the consensus appears to be the top 15. Whoever takes him does so at their own peril.

“I wouldn’t draft that kid unless I had someone to wake him up in the morning to get to meetings, someone to wake him up for practice and someone to wake him up for games,” one source said.

A second source said Bryant’s reputation was earned because he was consistently late to team activities. That included showing up late for games.

“We’re not just talking about being a little late for warmups, but like being late for the actual game,” a source said with a chuckle. “When you start to hear some of the stories of there, you go, ‘He did what?’ ”

Bryant recently defended himself against questions about his past by claiming he is a “great person” in an interview with NFL Network. While that may be a stretch, his episodes of irresponsible behavior aren’t considered malicious.

“Dez isn’t evil, he’s not trying to hurt anybody. He’s just goofy,” another source said. “But it does make you think, ‘If he’s like this in college, what’s it going to be like when he gets paid?’ ”

The NCAA investigation of Bryant initially revolved around illicit benefits Bryant received while in college. Among the items the NCAA examined were cell phones Bryant had for himself and his girlfriend that were being paid for by another party, although Bryant claimed he paid cash to the other person.

The investigation eventually led to a 10-game ban by Oklahoma State when Bryant lied to NCAA investigators about his interactions with former NFL star and current NFL Network analyst Deion Sanders.
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Dez Bryant is not working out at the Combine after tweaking his hamstring last week. ...
Wow, deja vu alll over again.....
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #3
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

I doubted it from the beginning, but with this information it looks even less likely.

Of course, this is the same kind of crap that led to Randy Moss slipping a long way... fell all the way out of the top 20.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Even if we lost Brandon Marshall, I have doubts that we'd use a first round pick on a WR. I'd think we'd either go LB or DL.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

I agree this probably removes him from our list of players unless his need/upside outweighs the concerns in the minds of McD and X. I really like Sean Witherspoon in the 2nd round for our ILB of the future.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:19 PM   #6
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

What is it with wide receivers?
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:49 PM   #7
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

We shouldn't have to draft a WR in the 1st round.
We have more pressing needs than a WR.
That's JMO...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:17 PM   #8
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
We shouldn't have to draft a WR in the 1st round.
We have more pressing needs than a WR.
That's JMO...
I agree. Plus, we got a better WR then Dez and we got him in the 5th round several years ago.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:45 PM   #9
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I agree. Plus, we got a better WR then Dez and we got him in the 5th round several years ago.
We can't afford to go two years in a row and not get an impact defensive player.
At 11th the odds are in our favor...
Old 03-02-2010, 12:53 AM   #10
Popps
It's so easy

Josh McDaniels:

[ ] Wants another head-case WR to deal with.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:48 AM   #11
chrisp
Friend of the unsung

Not into the football......yet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
I doubted it from the beginning, but with this information it looks even less likely.

Of course, this is the same kind of crap that led to Randy Moss slipping a long way... fell all the way out of the top 20.
I think that sometimes the guys with these kinds of question marks need to drop a little to give them some motivation.

Top-ten picks get so much money I honestly think its a de-motivating factor: they're set up for life, why put any more effort in? When they slip in the draft they don't get the same guaranteed money (although they still get a lot) but more importantly they get that slap in the face that they're not considered top-tier, top-drawer talent.

Look at Jamarcus Russell - I mean, while he's starting and earning a king's ransom just for going through the motions, how can he not think he's already 'made it'?

People think that maybe teams 'missed' in Randy Moss becuase he turned ot to be so explosive, bu perhaps he's an a-hole from day one if he goes in the top ten? As it was he played with a chip on his shoulder...
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:02 AM   #12
Dudeskey
Ring of Famer

This space for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
What is it with wide receivers?
something about them had Matt Millen coming back year after year
Dudeskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:19 AM   #13
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
I think that sometimes the guys with these kinds of question marks need to drop a little to give them some motivation.

Top-ten picks get so much money I honestly think its a de-motivating factor: they're set up for life, why put any more effort in? When they slip in the draft they don't get the same guaranteed money (although they still get a lot) but more importantly they get that slap in the face that they're not considered top-tier, top-drawer talent.

Look at Jamarcus Russell - I mean, while he's starting and earning a king's ransom just for going through the motions, how can he not think he's already 'made it'?

People think that maybe teams 'missed' in Randy Moss becuase he turned ot to be so explosive, bu perhaps he's an a-hole from day one if he goes in the top ten? As it was he played with a chip on his shoulder...
Well said, and very accurate. As for Jabba the Russell... Yeah, he thinks he's already made it because he has. He's just waiting for his contract to be up so he can take his money and open up a ****load of Krispy Kreme stores, then eat himself out of business.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:51 AM   #14
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

90% of the mocks I've seen have the Broncos taking Dez. Aint gonna happen.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:54 AM   #15
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

A lot of people knocked Harvin last year also, that worked out ok
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:57 AM   #16
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

No to Dez Bryant and Yes to Dan Williams
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:02 AM   #17
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
I agree this probably removes him from our list of players unless his need/upside outweighs the concerns in the minds of McD and X. I really like Sean Witherspoon in the 2nd round for our ILB of the future.
If we want Weatherspoon were going to have to use #11 to get him... I think his performance at the combine assured him as a top 20 selection.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:22 AM   #18
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
No to Dez Bryant and Yes to Dan Williams
I live in Oklahoma and am an Oklahoma State fan, and I still don't want us to draft Dez. I mean, he is a great player, but just not worth a #11 pick when we still need so much help on the lines.

I would rather take Dan Williams, or even Trent Williams at #11, because both would probably influence the game more than Dez at this point.

If Dez is one the board and someone really wants him - trade down. We could do really well with a low first rounder and another second round pick.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:28 AM   #19
ColoradoBuff
Ring of Famer

In Manning We Trust......

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
I don't think Spoon gets past Pittsburgh or New Orleans in the 1st round. Would love to have a second pick in the 20's in case he is there.
ColoradoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:58 AM   #20
Triplelefthook
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

never understood the "draft gurus" predicting us to draft Bryant. i certainly didn't know how they could predict this BEFORE Marshall got traded. And if you are making the assumption that Marshall is going to be traded then your mock should include two first rounders for denver.

picking at 11, there are only two real options for us imo - Dan Williams or Mike Iupati. Sign a Center in FA, draft another one in the later rounds. Take care of our tranches RIGHT NOW when there is the perfect draft class to address our needs.
Triplelefthook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #21
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Judging by Xanders' interview, and how he stated that character issues would be a top priority, I doubt Dez Bryant is even on their list.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:10 AM   #22
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRabb View Post
A lot of people knocked Harvin last year also, that worked out ok
Yeah, I remember reading people's comments about him.
He's had a good rookie season.
The problem is, WR wasn't a priority for us last year, and it's again not this year...
Old 03-02-2010, 10:07 AM   #23
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
Yeah, I remember reading people's comments about him.
He's had a good rookie season.
The problem is, WR wasn't a priority for us last year, and it's again not this year...
agree
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:49 AM   #24
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Dez Bryant will cause more headaches than he is worth...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #25
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

McClain or Williams
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote