The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2010, 06:13 PM   #1
chaz
highly touted recruit

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton
Default Dez Bryant's issues extend beyond suspension?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

Former Oklahoma State wide receiver Dez Bryant is emerging as the favorite for the most dubious title in the NFL Draft.

Biggest risk.

Three sources with direct knowledge of Bryant from his days in college, where he missed the final 10 games last season because of lying to NCAA investigators, said Bryant’s antics were “consistently irresponsible.”

Bryant is expected to be a first-round pick in April. Some draftniks have predicted that he will go in the top 10, although the consensus appears to be the top 15. Whoever takes him does so at their own peril.

“I wouldn’t draft that kid unless I had someone to wake him up in the morning to get to meetings, someone to wake him up for practice and someone to wake him up for games,” one source said.

A second source said Bryant’s reputation was earned because he was consistently late to team activities. That included showing up late for games.

“We’re not just talking about being a little late for warmups, but like being late for the actual game,” a source said with a chuckle. “When you start to hear some of the stories of there, you go, ‘He did what?’ ”

Bryant recently defended himself against questions about his past by claiming he is a “great person” in an interview with NFL Network. While that may be a stretch, his episodes of irresponsible behavior aren’t considered malicious.

“Dez isn’t evil, he’s not trying to hurt anybody. He’s just goofy,” another source said. “But it does make you think, ‘If he’s like this in college, what’s it going to be like when he gets paid?’ ”

The NCAA investigation of Bryant initially revolved around illicit benefits Bryant received while in college. Among the items the NCAA examined were cell phones Bryant had for himself and his girlfriend that were being paid for by another party, although Bryant claimed he paid cash to the other person.

The investigation eventually led to a 10-game ban by Oklahoma State when Bryant lied to NCAA investigators about his interactions with former NFL star and current NFL Network analyst Deion Sanders.
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2010, 07:24 PM   #2
Zoobie
Love Machine

The John Fox trot

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

Three unnamed sources, real credible.
Zoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Doesn't surprise me, this guy is trouble, whoever ends up with him better have a structure in place to deal with him.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

We need to get josina on the case. I bet she has a "source."
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by McApaOps5 View Post
We need to get josina on the case. I bet she has a "source."
Yeah, she has a source alright... A source like the Mississippi...
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:00 AM   #6
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoobie View Post
Three unnamed sources, real credible.
There is more in his scouting report than is being released. We all have stuff that we are not proud of doing, especially in College. I agree with what the one guy said totally though:

Quote:
“Dez isn’t evil, he’s not trying to hurt anybody. He’s just goofy,” another source said. “But it does make you think, ‘If he’s like this in college, what’s it going to be like when he gets paid?’ ”
The questions that are around his character are about his work ethic, decision making, and professionalism. Basically he has a couple of knocks on whether he works hard off the field and can handle getting paid. The worry is that Dez lacks discipline coming out of college and guys with his kind of talent need to play right away. Teams are worried about the risk of him not being able to handle that pressure to perform, because they worry about his off-field preparation.

Dez is not a bad guy, but he might lack the effort and drive off the field to reach his potential in the NFL as soon as someone drafting him that high would need him. He needs to impact right away and teams are worried he will not, despite his immense talent.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:33 AM   #7
chaz
highly touted recruit

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
There is more in his scouting report than is being released. We all have stuff that we are not proud of doing, especially in College. I agree with what the one guy said totally though:

The questions that are around his character are about his work ethic, decision making, and professionalism. Basically he has a couple of knocks on whether he works hard off the field and can handle getting paid. The worry is that Dez lacks discipline coming out of college and guys with his kind of talent need to play right away. Teams are worried about the risk of him not being able to handle that pressure to perform, because they worry about his off-field preparation.

Dez is not a bad guy, but he might lack the effort and drive off the field to reach his potential in the NFL as soon as someone drafting him that high would need him. He needs to impact right away and teams are worried he will not, despite his immense talent.
I agree completely. I also think it is worth mentioning that from all accounts Dez showed up for the combine in great shape despite the suspension and hamstring issue.

the only question if the motivation will decline after the paychecks start coming.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:58 AM   #8
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I agree completely. I also think it is worth mentioning that from all accounts Dez showed up for the combine in great shape despite the suspension and hamstring issue.

the only question if the motivation will decline after the paychecks start coming.
That is the problem, a player in his last year of college has so few things to worry about, there is no academic eligibility anymore since it is the last year, all you have to do is stay out of trouble and show up on time - Dez managed neither of those and that was with the incentive of a huge rookie contract.

He is not pacman Jones, but he is trouble.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:26 AM   #9
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Read recently that there a a very good posibility he slip out og th1st round because of character issues.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #10
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

90% of the mocks I've seen have the Broncos taking him at 11. I sure hope not. Lelie: Phase II.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:22 PM   #11
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

From www.profootballweekly.com:

1. WR-PR Dez Bryant
Oklahoma State junior
Ht: 6-2 | Wt: 225 | Sp: 4.5e | Arm: 34 | Hand: 9 3/4

Notes: Parade All-American whose tenuous academic standing scared off some schools until late in the process. Committed to Oklahoma State in large part because of its early interest and assistant coach Gunter Brewer's association with Randy Moss (Brewer coached Moss at Marshall). Bryant was born to a teenage mother who had three children by age 18 and sold drugs to get by (she spent 18 months in jail when Dez was 8). Endured an unstable upbringing and was placed in special education classes as a high school freshman because of a learning disability. It was around that time when he left his mother and moved in with his father (who is nearly 30 years older than his mother) and stepmother. In October of 2008, Bryant's high school coach told the New York Times, "I've taken him to probably six or seven different places he called home. It wasn't an ideal family situation. He was from trailer to trailer and house to house." Combative and stubborn during his high school years, Bryant was kicked out of the house and moved in with his girlfriend at the time before qualifying academically. Played in 12 games (three starts) as a true freshman in '07, catching 43 balls for 622 yards (14.5-yard average) and six touchdowns with two punt returns for 15 yards (7.5) and zero TDs. Was suspended for the Florida Atlantic contest for being late to team meetings. Started all 13 games at the flanker spot in '08, racking up 87-1,480-19 (17.0) receiving (113.9 yards per game) and 17-305-2 (17.9) on punt returns. Also returned four kickoffs for 100 yards (25.0). Took a shot under the chin on the first series against Missouri but returned after being checked for concussion symptoms. Piled up 13-167-1 against Oregon in the Holiday Bowl before incurring a small ligament tear in his left knee and having worn a brace to play through it. Had the knee surgically repaired in January '09 and did not participate in spring practice. In the fall, saw action in three games - managed 17-323-4 (19.0) receiving, 3-111-1 (37.0) returning punts and 2-43 (21.5) returning kickoffs before the NCAA imposed a season-long suspension for lying about his relationship with Deion Sanders, who was under suspicion of courting Bryant as a potential client for agent Eugene Parker.

Positives: Exceptionally competitive gamer. Attacks the ball in the air with very strong hands and very long arms to sky over defensive backs, highpoint the ball and pluck it out of the air. Catches in stride and immediately turns into a running back, sifting through traffic and creating after the catch - very good run vision and instincts. Does not go down easily. Can bend and sink into his routes and adjusts well to the low ball. Can make the acrobatic circus catch and one-handed snags and will lay out parallel to the ground and sacrifice his body to haul it in. Tracks the deep ball extremely well. Outstanding hand-eye coordination and body control. Will cross the middle and has shown he can take a hit. Has a feel for coverage and keeps working to uncover.

Negatives: Is not a crafty route runner. Will make some concentration drops. Not overly elusive after the catch. Too naïve and immature. Many big gains came on improvised, broken plays in a simplified offense, and he may require an adjustment period to an NFL offense. Missed most of his last season after making questionable decisions and is too easily influenced and too much of a follower. Needs to learn what it means to be a pro and become more accountable. Too unreliable and does not show enough respect for the game.

Summary: A terrific game-day competitor with immaturity issues that could sidetrack a brilliant career if he does not learn that he will not be able to get by on his natural talent alone at the pro level. Appeared heavier and less agile as a junior than he did early in his career and showed up at the Combine at a bulked-up 225 pounds and did not work out. Proved he could be a difference maker from Day One in college and has the physical traits to become a dominating, No. 1 receiver if he figures out the meaning of hard work.

NFL projection: Top-15 pick.

Way, way, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many red flags to take this cat at #11 overall. If he falls to #20 or below, he's worth it. Otherwise, no thanks.
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:33 PM   #12
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatFan View Post
Way, way, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many red flags to take this cat at #11 overall. If he falls to #20 or below, he's worth it. Otherwise, no thanks.
Damn. Send that to Xanders out at Dove Valley.

I wouldn't touch that dude with a third round pick.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:20 PM   #13
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

His wonderlic came back suggesting the reports of the learning disability are accurate.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:15 AM   #14
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Damn. Send that to Xanders out at Dove Valley.

I wouldn't touch that dude with a third round pick.
This. He is exactly what we don't want and are trying to weed out in Denver. Pass!
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:56 AM   #15
ELEVATION
GO BIG OR GO HOME NOW

Knee Deep in Crazy land

Adopt-a-Bronco:
JD WALTON

this story is pre draft garbage.....gundy hates late players as evidenced by his discipline of cox before the bowl game....bryant was never disciplined or suspended by the team...he was 2008 all academic, and a elite WR....and he simply covered his ass and the NCAA went judge dredd on him....

the concerns about him are way overblown...
ELEVATION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:17 AM   #16
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

We've been having this debate over on Mania. Everyone just wants to bury this kid. I think it stems from the frustration we will probably lose Marshall and need to replace him.

I readily concede there are some potential concerns with Bryant, but I think they are way overblown.

The guy was a 2nd Team All-Academic Big 12 performer, his college GPA was between a 3.0 and 3.2. Considering he started with a learning disability and crackhead mom, and worked his ass off to achieve respectable results, I think that speaks to both his work ethic and his intelligence. Sure, he didn't slam the Wonderlic, he's obviously not a genius, but he did beat quite a few athletes that do not have learning disabilities. At least he has an excuse.

I mean, if Micheal Oher gets a movie, Dez Bryant has to be next right? The stories are similar to a degree. I'd also like to point out Micheal Oher worked out just fine for the Ravens.

From all accounts, Dez was late one time as a Freshman, suspended for one game. These three anonymous sources could be anyone, and a yahoo.com report? Puh-leeze. His coaches and teammates have been behind him, they haven't said anything negative.

As for Sanders, we all have our thoughts on that. I think we all know he got busted talking about which agent he was going to hire. That's a stupid college rule. Everyone does it. He just got caught, refused to tattle on Sanders as a runner for Parker, so the NCAA crushed him. I argue there is some integrity in not ratting out your idol/friend to save your ass. But, this was not a "character red flag" in my book. He just got caught. Reggie Bush did the same thing to a larger degree. He hasn't been a character risk in the NFL.

As for work ethic, we'll have to see. I know I watched Dez Bryant on ESPN's WR challenge a month ago and he was smoking Mardy Gilyard, Damian Williams, and Jordan Shipley in most of the drills. He's in shape, he looks good. We know he's a ridiculous talent at WR and on Punt Returns. After being suspended this year, that's a testament to some sort of work ethic. He wasn't allowed at practice or at a professional training facility because he was petitioning his suspension and wanted to maintain his eligibility if it was overruled. Remember, he was only a Junior this year.

As for Bryant slipping in the draft, I doubt it. He's too good. If he slips, it will be due to a terrible 40 time. I have no clue what he will run. He looked plenty fast on those punt returns to me. I have to think a 4.55 or so at worst. He needs to quit pushing his Pro Day back though, Oklahoma State is getting annoyed.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:35 PM   #17
chaz
highly touted recruit

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELEVATION View Post
this story is pre draft garbage.....gundy hates late players as evidenced by his discipline of cox before the bowl game....bryant was never disciplined or suspended by the team...he was 2008 all academic, and a elite WR....and he simply covered his ass and the NCAA went judge dredd on him....

the concerns about him are way overblown...
false.

to be honest, his issues don't really scare me too much if it weren't for our FO trying to ship a pretty similar WR out of town.

I've seen the mega-talented, "good guy", but immature thing play out already...
Old 03-19-2010, 02:18 PM   #18
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Dez Bryant responded to the rumors about him today, saying they were not true. Even though most of us knew three anonymous guys telling Yahoo.com anything was crap anyway. Regardless, Bryant *sounds* really good here.

Quote:
There has been much debate about whether the Miami Dolphins should select embattled Oklahoma State star wide receiver Dez Bryant if he's available at No. 12 in next month's NFL Draft.

Regarded as the best receiver in the draft, Bryant (6-2 and 225 pounds) has drawn comparisons to Andre Johnson of the Houston Texans with his size, speed and athleticism, but concerns about his character have plagued the wideout.

"All of it is just rumors," Bryant said in an interview Thursday with Orlando Alzugaray of WQAM (560-AM). "I don't know why people are saying those things. I feel like if you're going to write something about somebody you need to ask that person instead of writing things like that. I surround myself with positive people. I don't have time to get into trouble. I'm trying to pursue my dream, which is to play in the NFL. ... I never did anything wrong. I never committed a crime.

"It bothers me a lot," he said. "I just had a talk with my advisor and my agent [Wednesday], and I told them that I'm not a bad person and I'm not used to people saying bad things about me. I like to make people smile. I like to bring excitement because that's what I do, and I want to keep it that way. I don't want a bad image. My bad image in my childhood, that is long gone. I've surrounded myself with bright people and I'm going to continue to stay out of trouble and move forward and play in the NFL."

Bryant also dismissed reports that he's shown up late for practices and games.

"I've never been late to a game or a practice. My freshman year, I've been late for a meeting. But as my career got going at Oklahoma State I [became more responsible]. I overcame a lot. Everything is positive now."

Bryant said he believes much of the criticism he's received stems from his suspension for lying to the NCAA about his relationship with former NFL star Deion Sanders.

"I really do feel like that's when it started," he said. "At the same time, I manned up for what I did wrong and told the truth. I feel like I didn't get the credit I deserve. I know God is going to take care of the rest. That's Ok, though. That's in the past and I've moved forward. I'm just trying to do something better with my life. I just want to jump on an NFL team and make that team feel great about having me. ... Whoever drafts me they're going to get what they want out of me. I'm going to give it my all and play my hardest. I have a real strong passion for the game. I LOVE football. I'm just ready to get on the field again."

Bryant caught 87 passes for 1,480 yards and 19 touchdowns in 2008, and scored twice on punt returns. Last season, he led the team with 17 catches for 323 yards and four touchdowns in three games before being ruled ineligible.
Copyright © 2010, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...,3266559.story
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:01 PM   #19
ELEVATION
GO BIG OR GO HOME NOW

Knee Deep in Crazy land

Adopt-a-Bronco:
JD WALTON

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
false.

to be honest, his issues don't really scare me too much if it weren't for our FO trying to ship a pretty similar WR out of town.

I've seen the mega-talented, "good guy", but immature thing play out already...
not false he was suspened by the NCAA not Oklahoma state....
ELEVATION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:18 PM   #20
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

I want the 49ers to draft him. All this debate about who would be the better pro between Bryant and Crabtree would take a amazing twist if they both played on the same team.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:20 PM   #21
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I want the 49ers to draft him. All this debate about who would be the better pro between Bryant and Crabtree would take a amazing twist if they both played on the same team.
That kind of ruins the argument though, if they both play for the 49ers neither will be a good pro.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:35 PM   #22
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
Dez Bryant responded to the rumors about him today, saying they were not true. Even though most of us knew three anonymous guys telling Yahoo.com anything was crap anyway. Regardless, Bryant *sounds* really good here.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...,3266559.story
Well, I'm not sure I would expect him to say anything different. He admits to being late to a meeting as a freshman and omits the fact that he lied to the NCAA about meeting with Sanders which was the basis of his suspension. That was this year - not when he was a freshman. Marshall sounds great in interviews most of the time and you almost want to believe him. There are enough quality receivers in this draft without the character questions. Maybe if you weren't talking about an early first round pick but I would have to pass on him. I really think this kid with money in his pocket is trouble waiting to happen. I wouldn't gamble the #11 pick in the draft to find out.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:10 PM   #23
meangene
Ring of Famer

NFLN reported Bryant was present at the Pacman Jones workout today to provide "moral support". Is this the kind of "positive" "bright" people he surrounds himself with? Trouble with a capital "T".
Old 03-19-2010, 10:19 PM   #24
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
90% of the mocks I've seen have the Broncos taking him at 11. I sure hope not. Lelie: Phase II.
Yeah, Dez at 11 seems to be popular. I think the team will do fine without spending #11 on Dez.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:54 AM   #25
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Like someone else said, way too many questions to take this guy at 11. I'd rather wait and see what kind of WR talent is around at 43.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: