The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default Tebow hopes new motion sways critics

Quote:
“ My dream is to be an NFL quarterback and I'm going to do whatever it takes to do that. If I'm asked to do something else, I'll do it, because it's always team first.”
-- Tim Tebow

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft1...ory?id=4951434

Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- Tim Tebow was the first big-name quarterback to take the NFL's stage Friday.

He's hoping the draft goes down the same way.

The man with one Heisman Trophy, two national titles and may be the most intriguing pro prospect since Michael Vick, came to the league's annual scouting combine with a new look he hopes will improve his draft stock.

"It's not necessarily changing the whole [throwing] motion, it's where I'm holding the ball," Tebow said. "I'm holding it higher and not having that loop in there. My release point isn't different at all."

The combine seems like old hat for Tebow, too.

He walked to the podium with that charismatic smile and trademark personality, then was introduced as "Some guy named Tebow is at podium C." A few moments later, a reporter asked Tebow to autograph a notebook.

But this week is not about impressing the media or his loyal fans.

Nope, Tebow needs to wow the scouts who think it could take up to two years for him to make the transition from combination college quarterback to prototypical pocket passer. Others argue his success in college, his passion for the game and his work ethic will make the transition easier than it now appears.

Tebow, as usual, has tossed aside conventional wisdom in an effort to show NFL executives what kind of player he is.

"I talked to a lot of different quarterbacks coaches and a lot of people who said 'Wait till after the draft [to change the motion],'" Tebow said. "But I'm not afraid of what anybody thinks. If I need to change it, then I'm going to do it now."

NFL executives will then have two months to make a decision about where Tebow fits into this year's draft.

In the meantime, those people will scramble to answer questions about the other high-profile quarterbacks presumably ahead of Tebow on this year's draft boards.

Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen is still recovering from toe surgery. Oklahoma's Sam Bradford, the 2008 Heisman winner, missed all but three games last season with a shoulder injury. Texas' Colt McCoy couldn't finish the national championship game because of an injury to his throwing arm.

All three missed their scheduled media interviews Friday, which in past years has been an indication that players are undergoing additional medical checks. NFL officials could not confirm that happened Friday, saying only that the quarterbacks had "other obligations."

None of the big four, including Tebow, are expected to throw until their pro days next month. Tebow is the only one, so far, who has indicated he will do any of the drills this week.

"You'd love to see them work out here, but for a quarterback this is not the greatest environment," said general manager Billy Devaney, whose Rams have the No. 1 pick in April. "They're out there throwing to receivers they've never thrown to before, they're throwing routes they maybe haven't thrown in college. It's hard to get into a groove when you throw three balls and go to the end of the line and then throw three more."

Trying to make projections is even tougher for talent evaluators because of how different the offenses are.

Clausen played in a prostyle system under Charlie Weis at Notre Dame, which some think give him an advantage. Cleveland's Brady Quinn came out of the same system and still hasn't lived up to the expectations.

McCoy and Bradford played in predominantly passing programs in the high-scoring Big 12, which have translated into mixed results in the NFL.

Tebow rarely played under center at Florida and built his reputation as much on running as passing, something he knows must change against the bigger, stronger, faster players in the NFL.

Who is the best?

Opinions vary.

Oklahoma tight end Jermaine Gresham and Texas receiver Jordan Shipley each cast votes for the guys they played with in college. Reports have indicated the Rams favor Bradford over Clausen, though Devaney denied that Friday.

And coaches and scouts are still trying to sort things out.

To those looking for a quarterback in the first round, San Francisco general manager Scot McCloughan offers some advice after seeing Alex Smith, the top overall pick in 2005, finally emerge as the player the 49ers expected in 2009.

"If you're going to take a spread quarterback, know that that's what he's used to," McCloughan said. "The reason you're drafting him is because he's been a good football player. Don't completely change what he's done in the past that's made him successful."

Tebow isn't changing everything.

He insists the only real difference is that he's shortened his throwing motion to get rid of the ball quicker -- and he hopes get himself back on the podium come April 22.

"I know wherever I go and whoever drafts me is going to get someone who gives everything to the team, who leaves everything on the field every day," he said. "My dream is to be an NFL quarterback and I'm going to do whatever it takes to do that. If I'm asked to do something else, I'll do it, because it's always team first."

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
I still think he's going to be a great QB in the NFL.
Mechanics are easy to correct. Most rookie QB's go thru a couple of years if not less to develop anyway, I think Tebow will be able to overcome his mechanic issues as he seems to be determined to do that...

Last edited by strafen; 02-28-2010 at 10:43 PM..
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
Mechanics are easy to correct. Most rookie QB's go thru a couple of years if not less to develop anyway, I think Tebow will be able to overcome his mechanic issues as he seems to be determined to do that...
I think the guy is going to be one or the other, excellent QB or huge bust, I cannot see a middle ground. Good luck to him.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:10 AM   #3
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If we trade Marshall for a late 1st/early 2nd, I wouldn't be upset if we used the pick to get Tebow.

McDaniels can coach the hell out of QB's, and you have to love the intangibles that Tebow has.

With Orton likely here for at least another year, there'd be no immediate pressure on Tebow to come in and start, which I think will be important for him.

I don't think he gets by the Jags in Round 2.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:10 AM   #4
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
McDaniels did some work to tighten up Orton's throwing motion last year as well which showed some good results.

I think there is a real good shot we draft him. Going by last year's draft Mayock and McDaniels seem to view prospects the same way, and Mayock thinks Tebow would be a great fit here.

If he's there in the second I wouldn't be surprised at all if we jump on him. Especially if we're carrying extra picks from losing guys like Marshall or Scheffler.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:28 AM   #5
extralife
Ring of Famer

yeah, lets draft a guy that is doing a complete overhaul of his throwing motion right before entering the nfl. a guy that plays quarterback by running up the gut like a fullback. the guy doesn't do anything at an NFL level. people get wrapped up in him because he won games in college, he can run (note: he absolutely will not be able to run effectively in the NFL), and he's a boy scout. these traits combined will earn you a whole lot of nothing in the NFL.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:00 AM   #6
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

He might have potential for gimmick plays or for another position altogether as a LATER round pick.

Anybody that drafts Tebow to be a starting QB is crazy.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:50 AM   #7
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Things I hate about Tebow:
Throwing motion that he's trying to correct

Things I love about Tebow:
Leadership
Accountability
Work Ethic
Winner
Athleticism

I don't think we've ever had a QB coming out that has the intangibles that Tebow has. If he can change a few of his mechanics and get that down, he's going to be one heck of a winner in the NFL. He's not going to be Marino/Manning type, but if you don't think that he could a team to hell and back you're crazy. I wouldn't take him at 11, but if he's there at our 2nd round I'd take a chance on him.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:49 AM   #8
want2bAbronco2
Pro Bowler

I would usually say no way to draft someone that cant throw/changing motion. But if anyone can make it work and will put in the time to do it (16hr days etc..) its Teabow.
I would Take him in the 3rd but I think he will go in the 2nd. dont want him there unless we get 2-3 NT/C/WR/CB in FA.
want2bAbronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:51 AM   #9
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post

Leadership
Accountability
Work Ethic
Winner
Athleticism

I don't think we've ever had a QB coming out that has the intangibles that Tebow has. If he can change a few of his mechanics and get that down, he's going to be one heck of a winner in the NFL. He's not going to be Marino/Manning type, but if you don't think that he could a team to hell and back you're crazy. I wouldn't take him at 11, but if he's there at our 2nd round I'd take a chance on him.

then screw it cause thats what you look for in a QB
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:00 AM   #10
TheDave
Sauced...

No way McKidd drafts him, unless he falls to the 3rd round or below... Even then, that's only if we have extra picks from a trade. Problem is, Tebow will take at least 2-3 years to develop and our coach knows he won't be here in 2 years unless he wins now. With a weak FA class, we need all the help from the draft we can get.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:04 AM   #11
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
then screw it cause thats what you look for in a QB
And how many Championships do they have between them?

Are you sure that's what you look for in a QB?
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:16 AM   #12
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

If we get him, and in a couple of years we have a ROCK of an offensive line, I would think he could really win a bunch of games in McD's system.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:23 AM   #13
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Tebow could run 2k in our system.

He'd have to, if he wants to survive.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:05 AM   #14
Cosmo
Perennial Pro-bowler

Mayock and company made a very good remark at the combine about Tebow. They said when Byron Leftwich came out, he had the exact same motion as Tebow, had no intention of correcting it and no one talked about his motion to the level that Tebow is getting.

Now, granted, I think Leftwich does suck, but I think very little has to do with his throwing motion and just he sucks in general.

Just to name a couple more with bad throwing motions coming out of college:

Rivers, Rodgers, Farve (early in his career).

Will Tebow be able to adapt? I think its 50:50. Changing the motion is doable, but does he revert back to his full swing under pressure situations, can he learn to play under center with 3, 5, 7 step drops? Tebow should go in the top of the third round. Anyone that takes him in the second is in love with him way too much.
Cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:12 AM   #15
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I hope he pulls a Rocky and comes out throwing righty on his Pro Day
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:15 AM   #16
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Mayock and company made a very good remark at the combine about Tebow. They said when Byron Leftwich came out, he had the exact same motion as Tebow, had no intention of correcting it and no one talked about his motion to the level that Tebow is getting.

Now, granted, I think Leftwich does suck, but I think very little has to do with his throwing motion and just he sucks in general.

Just to name a couple more with bad throwing motions coming out of college:

Rivers, Rodgers, Farve (early in his career).

Will Tebow be able to adapt? I think its 50:50. Changing the motion is doable, but does he revert back to his full swing under pressure situations, can he learn to play under center with 3, 5, 7 step drops? Tebow should go in the top of the third round. Anyone that takes him in the second is in love with him way too much.

Nice points. I also heard on NFLN that Tebow tried to change his throwing motion at UF under Meyer's direction but he just couldn't make any changes last, he always reverted back to his old ways.

In Meyer's defense, why force it when you are winning with Tebow?

Now Tebow has the time to really concentrate on his throwing motion, his feet, accuracy, his hands, where his eyes need to be, etc. He's not gonna walk onto an NFL team and take the starting job. However, given some time to work on his mechanics and learn a new system, he can be a ligitimate starting NFL QB within a year or two.

I'd be very suprised if the Broncos take Tebow in the second round.

Last edited by Tombstone RJ; 03-01-2010 at 08:18 AM..
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:20 AM   #17
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

There's no question Tebow is an enigma.
People who think he won't make it in the NFL has the same chance of being right as those who think he'll make it.
That said, I decided to ignore most of the negative stuff being said, because I believe those negatives are correctable.
The guy has tremendous athletic abilities, great heart, and a great attitude. You can work with that.
His throwing motion is not what really concerns me. It's the fact that his lack of playing time under center and the drop back as mentioned, that could be a problem for him.
His willingness to work on that is a big plus.

At the end of the day, Tebow success will depend on the system he gets to play in...
Old 03-01-2010, 08:30 AM   #18
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
There's no question Tebow is an enigma.
People who think he won't make it in the NFL has the same chance of being right as those who think he'll make it.
That said, I decided to ignore most of the negative stuff being said, because I believe those negatives are correctable.
The guy has tremendous athletic abilities, great heart, and a great attitude. You can work with that.
His throwing motion is not what really concerns me. It's the fact that his lack of playing time under center and the drop back as mentioned, that could be a problem for him.
His willingness to work on that is a big plus.

At the end of the day, Tebow success will depend on the system he gets to play in...
I seriously think Jacksonville will draft Tebow. I don't know why I think this, but I do...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:33 AM   #19
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I seriously think Jacksonville will draft Tebow. I don't know why I think this, but I do...
He's a local player.
From the business standpoint, it will be a huge financial boost for Jacksonville.
In fact, there will be a lot of pressure on the Jaguars to draft him...
Old 03-01-2010, 08:37 AM   #20
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post

Leadership
Accountability
Work Ethic
Winner
Athleticism

If his work ethic is really that good, how come he didn't fix his throwing motion during the 4 years in college? They even hired a pro style QB coach for him and he still didn't change it. I don't like this kid, he is being protrayed as a saint because of his missionary work and his leadership, but I honestly don't believe that he is all that, he could have changed his motion earlier.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:46 AM   #21
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
If his work ethic is really that good, how come he didn't fix his throwing motion during the 4 years in college? They even hired a pro style QB coach for him and he still didn't change it. I don't like this kid, he is being protrayed as a saint because of his missionary work and his leadership, but I honestly don't believe that he is all that, he could have changed his motion earlier.
I think his work ethics are good. His personality traits and how he's being portrayed are pluses, not negatives.

I do however agree with you in the sense that why did they let him go thru his college career without proper coaching of his mechanical issues?
I have been asking myself that question.
You figure somebody should've looked out for his best interest.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:14 AM   #22
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Fills the stadium at Jacksonville................
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:21 AM   #23
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

I imagine this is the most hype Tebow will ever get
come draft day I will be surprised if he is taken before the 3rd
Its possible since Miami spent a 2nd on Pat White, but that pick was incredibly stupid

He was a great college player, but I really dont understand how his talent translates into a starting caliber qb
His armstrength is not impressive
His mechanics are horrible
He is not a pocket passer

I really like the prospects of Brandstater over someone like Tebow
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:35 AM   #24
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
I think his work ethics are good. His personality traits and how he's being portrayed are pluses, not negatives.

I do however agree with you in the sense that why did they let him go thru his college career without proper coaching of his mechanical issues?
I have been asking myself that question.
You figure somebody should've looked out for his best interest.
What bothers is me that Tebow and Urban Meyer have both said that it wasn't for lack of coaching at Florida, but if it wasn't lack of coaching then it is lack of ability - but if it is lack of ability, why is he succeeding now in a few short months in what he apparently couldn't do in 4 years? That to me leaves 2 possible explanations:
1. Tebow isn't as hard a worker as he has been made out to be.
2. Tebow is lying to protect his former head coach.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:38 AM   #25
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Tebow won't be drafted. Period. Remember you heard it here first.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote