The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2010, 09:49 PM   #1
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default Formal interviews confirmed by Jonathan Dwyer and Sean Witherspoon.

Certainly there are a lot of interviews going on, but we've reportedly had confirmed meetings with Jonathan Dwyer (RB, GT) and Sean Witherspoon (LB, Missouri). Just two high profile guys. It'll be interesting to see if they are brought in for a closer look as the draft approaches.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2010, 12:36 AM   #2
xznsocal
Slot Machine Addict

Fitting it in to tight spots

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wes Welker

Wow, why would we be talking to either of those guys? We just spent a #12 last year on a RB and signed Buckhalter.

As for Weatherspoon ILB is not a need and if it was Mc Clain is better, plus probably Spikes. Can Weatherspoon even fit in a 34 front?

Those interviews puzzle me....
xznsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:39 AM   #3
Dudeskey
Ring of Famer

This space for rent

Just because they were interviewed doesn't mean Denver will be drafting them. As far as I know, Denver never interviewed Moreno last year
Dudeskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:05 AM   #4
xznsocal
Slot Machine Addict

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wes Welker

Yeah, but when you have a finite number of opportunities to meet with prospects I just don't see why we'd be talking to those two guys... but then again, no one asked me...
Old 02-28-2010, 01:16 AM   #5
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

A running back? What on earth are we doing spending Combine time talking to a RB? Just about everything this current regime does is a mystery to me. No matter who is manning the sidelines, Iive always been disappointed in who we draft maybe with teh exception of DJ WIlliams and Jay Cutler. Everyone talks this stuff to death and then the Broncos do something completely off the radar.

My only throw-the-chair-out-the-patio-window moment would come if Denver were to actually draft Dez Bryant. We need defense and offensive line. Another offensive guy would drive me absolutely nuts. Another RB at 11 would make me physically ill, and pretty angry.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:25 AM   #6
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango View Post
A running back? What on earth are we doing spending Combine time talking to a RB? Just about everything this current regime does is a mystery to me. No matter who is manning the sidelines, Iive always been disappointed in who we draft maybe with teh exception of DJ WIlliams and Jay Cutler. Everyone talks this stuff to death and then the Broncos do something completely off the radar.

My only throw-the-chair-out-the-patio-window moment would come if Denver were to actually draft Dez Bryant. We need defense and offensive line. Another offensive guy would drive me absolutely nuts. Another RB at 11 would make me physically ill, and pretty angry.
no way we go RB in the 1st. although in the 4th or 5th round, i wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Anthony Dixon or Blount end up in blue and orange.

right now, i'd bet my left nut on either OL, Front 7 or QB with number 11.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:40 AM   #7
xznsocal
Slot Machine Addict

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wes Welker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
no way we go RB in the 1st. although in the 4th or 5th round, i wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Anthony Dixon or Blount end up in blue and orange.

right now, i'd bet my left nut on either OL, Front 7 or QB with number 11.
So, in other words we'll take someone who is carbon-based lifeform as long as they can fog a mirror...
Old 02-28-2010, 03:41 AM   #8
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xznsocal View Post
Wow, why would we be talking to either of those guys? We just spent a #12 last year on a RB and signed Buckhalter.

As for Weatherspoon ILB is not a need and if it was Mc Clain is better, plus probably Spikes. Can Weatherspoon even fit in a 34 front?

Weatherspoon is an OLB, weighs in at about 241 and most scouting reports claim that he plays with the power of a bigger man than that. He's also a 1st/2nd round tweener right now with a lot of talented guys in front of him at his position when you consider 3-4 DEs moving to OLB. There is a reasonable shot he's there in the 2nd round for us.

As for Dwyer, similar situation. Stacked RB class from a depth standpoint but not much in the way of elite production. There is a realistic chance we could catch a slider.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:07 AM   #9
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Many like 'Spoon more than any other LB in this class! Fits the McD mold, high effort team motivating type. If he is there in the 2nd I would be surprised but very happy!
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:12 AM   #10
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:

ILB is not a need
If you believe that ILB is not a need, then it's no surprise that you're confused.

ILB is a huge need for this team, and even though 'Spoon is an OLB he can project inside in a 3-4. He's a beast who brings a huge motor and an Al Wilson kind of fire to the field.

I'd take him over McClain.
Dedhed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:12 AM   #11
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
Many like 'Spoon more than any other LB in this class! Fits the McD mold, high effort team motivating type. If he is there in the 2nd I would be surprised but very happy!
This. DEN does not have a LB with leadership skills. Spoon can play any LB position, even in the 3-4. They need Leaders in the front seven.

There is NO way IMHO he slides to round 2. If he works out as well as he has looked since the bowl game, he will continue to rise not slide.

As far as Dwyer is concerned, I would be shocked if he goes in round one. Not with the talent level in this draft should he sniff round one. The guy has some skills, but he ran the freaking option at GT and that is not good trying to come play in the NFL. He is way behind the curve on the NFL running game, let alone Catching, protection, and routes.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:32 AM   #12
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I am listening to the Combine Audio and they are just talking about Dwyer being a systems back at GT Scouts are questioning whether he can quickly transition to an NFL offense and will he be effective as an NFL runner.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:55 AM   #13
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I am not sold on Dwyer, small hands, but he has 1st round talent in a poor class and that means 2nd round this year.

I love Weatherspoon, dude is a monster, he is so polished and very athletic, he is the kind of pure LB we need, can tackle, cover, force the run and very good instincts.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:42 AM   #14
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Basically Weatherspoon is a lot like Al Wilson. He showed up to the Sr. Bowl and from the first practice on became the team leader. I wondered about his size and playing in the 3-4, but if Med thinks he can play any position on a 3-4, that tells me all I need to know. If we can somehow trade down a bit and get another 2nd or 3rd round pick, Weatherspoon would be perfect right around pick 22-25.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:11 AM   #15
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

id take spoon in the top 20 for sure. If he slides then even better
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:22 AM   #16
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I love Weatherspoon, dude is a monster, he is so polished and very athletic, he is the kind of pure LB we need, can tackle, cover, force the run and very good instincts.
His coverage abilities are rare for an LB, and makes him very intriguing to me in a 3-4 system.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #17
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Weatherspoon is very good LB. I would mind at all. My only concern would his ability to take on blocks of offense linemen from ILB position. I wouldn't be surprised if Denver takes another power RB in this draft to team with Moreno.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #18
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Weatherspoon is very good LB. I would mind at all. My only concern would his ability to take on blocks of offense linemen from ILB position. I wouldn't be surprised if Denver takes another power RB in this draft to team with Moreno.
I'd take a long look at Blount.

And, no, I don't really care that he dropped some turd from Boise post-game. I think he's learned a lesson and moved on.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #19
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
I'd take a long look at Blount.

And, no, I don't really care that he dropped some turd from Boise post-game. I think he's learned a lesson and moved on.
I don't disagree. Blount was one of the guys I was high on last season, and I don't think he a problem like ESPN made him to be.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #20
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Yeah, but when you have a finite number of opportunities to meet with prospects I just don't see why we'd be talking to those two guys... but then again, no one asked me...
Meh interviews at the combine are just that interviews. Its who you bring in and what pro days you go to that are more telling. Remember Shanahan never really spoke to Cutler before the draft.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #21
Paladin
Ring of Famer

But Shanahan isn't here. Maybe the FO will do things differently......
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:44 PM   #22
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by McApaOps5 View Post
Meh interviews at the combine are just that interviews. Its who you bring in and what pro days you go to that are more telling. Remember Shanahan never really spoke to Cutler before the draft.
Especial with this regime since only draft folks they had workouts with.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #23
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

We have also met with Montario Hardesty, so we are looking at RBs. Hardesty looks like a lesser Knowshon Moreno to me, good body control, but lacks break away speed and has serious injury concerns. It is interesting that we are looking at RBs who figure to go in the first 3-4 rounds.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:36 AM   #24
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
We have also met with Montario Hardesty, so we are looking at RBs. Hardesty looks like a lesser Knowshon Moreno to me, good body control, but lacks break away speed and has serious injury concerns. It is interesting that we are looking at RBs who figure to go in the first 3-4 rounds.
I thought Hardesty and Tate helped themselves more than any other players at the combine yesterday. Hardesty had the best workout numbers of all the backs. I believer he posted the longest broad jump, best vert, and most reps of 225. He followed that up with a run in the 4.4s. Not bad.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:56 PM   #25
TheDave
Sauced...

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Weatherspoon was the guy at #11... I'm still hoping for Dan Williams, but spoon wouldn't be a disapointment.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: